• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never forget: Nintendo Switch' terrible 2018 lineup

theclaw135

Banned

First party games of course can still sell well and be highly acclaimed. I'm suggesting they're less essential than they used to be.

"It's not like third parties haven't been releasing and announcing great games for Switch"

They clearly are not when it comes to the top titles coming out, ie Far Cry, Assassins Creed, BF, COD, Red Dead the list goes on. This is basically sounding like Wii, Wii U etc all over again. I don't know how that is a great thing to be honest, less games isn't good so...

The same issue that made them lose lots of games those last gens, will continue to make them lose a lot this gen, from where I stand, nothing has really changed. We are still going into another gen with a boat load of games not coming to Nintendo platforms. This is what happens when you have a platform basically made for 1 publisher.

Sure, but does Switch particularly "need" those games? If commercially viable without them, it shows the system is succeeding in offering something else.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Far Cry, Assassins Creed, BF, COD
I couldn't care less about any of this shit on my Switch.

There's new SMT coming, new Fire Emblem, Valkirya Chronicles 4, Prime 4, Octopath Traveler and who knows what else (E3's Direct probably show more games). I mean, even these 5 games can easily cover the whole year for a player who has only Switch and that's not even counting smaller games which was made by indies for Switch only so that's at least 5-6 more games for you to play. Also, if this Switch player haven't bought Wii U 5-6 years ago...

Switch does not need any Ubisoft, EA or Activision's shit which is available on every single current gen platform (exept remakes of classic platformers like Spyro, Crash etc.), what it needs A LOT MORE is games like Mario + Rabbids which was made secificaly for Switch and which you can buy only for Switch, period.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

The issue in part is whilst the list for Switch includes some interesting titles (yes some of which are ports), there aren't enough to please gamers with any particular focus of interest. The only people 100% happy right now are those who will play anything and everything.

Ive had mine 6 months and in that time I've played Odyssey and BOTW. I'm currently just muddling through Thimbleweed Park until E3 to see if the outlook changes, otherwise someone can pick up a great condition Switch on eBay in a couple of weeks.

I might have another look in 18 months but whilst I can realise most of the money I've spent on it and get something else I don't have to make excuses to play ("I really SHOULD like Thimbleweed because I liked Monkey Island in the 90's") there isn't really much rationale in having our collecting dust and depreciating for a year until the library justifies its cost.

Last edited:

EDarkness

Switch can't handle any of this without REALLY HUGE compromises and GFX downgrades, and who the fuck want's shitty and massively inferior version of RAGE 2, Anthem, BO4, BFV, SOTTR (the list goes on) just to play it on a shitter? Better nothing than this in my book and there's still plenty of games to play on Switch while you're waiting FE, SMTV, Prime 4, Pokemon RPG etc.

Who? I would. I'd love to have Rage 2 on the NS. I don't care about the other games, but I'd be all over Rage 2 with gyro aiming. You don't want to play that? Fine, you can play the other versions, but having the option to play those games in the way I want to play them would be great for me and that option should be there. I don't care about the graphical downgrades as long as they nail the controls. Hell, I played (and still own) all of the Wii CoD games. If devs are reading this, please give us a NS version of these games!!!

ultrazilla

These pre-E3 threads always make me laugh.

Exactly. Again, I don't proclaim to be an "insider" but I wouldn't be surprised to see/hear Fortnite has a surprise release for the Switch at E3 or sometime this summer(June or July), along with Diablo 3 and Fallout this summer as well.

I also think a port of Grand Theft Auto V has a very good chance of hitting this summer/early fall along with a Borderland's Collection(1,2 and Prequel). Not sure why everyone is panicking over the Switch line up.

Then the very strong possibilities of getting remasters of Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario 64 and StarFox Zero.

Exactly. Again, I don't proclaim to be an "insider" but I wouldn't be surprised to see/hear Fortnite has a surprise release for the Switch at E3 or sometime this summer(June or July), along with Diablo 3 and Fallout this summer as well.

I also think a port of Grand Theft Auto V has a very good chance of hitting this summer/early fall along with a Borderland's Collection(1,2 and Prequel). Not sure why everyone is panicking over the Switch line up.

Then the very strong possibilities of getting remasters of Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario 64 and StarFox Zero.

This post makes me want to sell my switch.

This line up would have me panicking more than the current line up.

DilWSTS

E3 i hope will shed light on the 2nd half. The pokemon announcement was definitely a disappointment for me

If you don't like arcade-style games, then you're in a bad situation. As for me who prefers fast-paced action games over movie games with lots of fillers and stories that are supposed to impress critics (but absolutely fails 99.99% of the time), I am in gaming heaven. To date I have more than 60 eshop games downloaded with Celeste, Bleed 2, Flinthook, Rogue Aces, Danmaku Unlimited 3 and Sky Rogue as the cream of the crop.

Puffdaddy

Neo Member
The Switch has been doing well in my opinion. I think some people are forgetting that the Switch is only 14 months old.

If you want to play Wii U games, you should have bought a Wii U. I think it's pretty selfish to be asking for ports instead of new games because YOU didn't buy a Wii U.
What the f*** kinda statement is that? The WiiU only sold 14 million units, which the Switch outsold in less than a year. So obviously there's an audience out there who haven't played those games. As long as Nintendo is spacing out the releases of the ports (which they are) and releasing an equal or more amount of exclusive titles (which they are) then there shouldn't be an issue. This way, they're appealing to the people who never experienced the game, and also those who like to double dip like me when I bought Bayonetta 2 for the Switch because it's an amazing game. I think it's selfish of you to tell people what they should be asking for just because YOU are not interested in exclusive ports.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Switch has been doing well in my opinion. I think some people are forgetting that the Switch is only 14 months old.

What the f*** kinda statement is that? The WiiU only sold 14 million units, which the Switch outsold in less than a year. So obviously there's an audience out there who haven't played those games. As long as Nintendo is spacing out the releases of the ports (which they are) and releasing an equal or more amount of exclusive titles (which they are) then there shouldn't be an issue. This way, they're appealing to the people who never experienced the game, and also those who like to double dip like me when I bought Bayonetta 2 for the Switch because it's an amazing game. I think it's selfish of you to tell people what they should be asking for just because YOU are not interested in exclusive ports.

Am I the only one that sometimes sees Nintendo and Nintendo fans giving a hint of equating Wii U owners with “suckers that got swindled”... ;)? Seriously, I think Nintendo badly supported them and now all these ports and the justification that being on Wii U means that they are essentially new as “c’mon who bought a Wii U anyways?” sounds bad too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Am I the only one that sometimes sees Nintendo and Nintendo fans giving a hint of equating Wii U owners with “suckers that got swindled”... ;)? Seriously, I think Nintendo badly supported them and now all these ports and the justification that being on Wii U means that they are essentially new as “c’mon who bought a Wii U anyways?” sounds bad too.
But don't you think that it is reasonable to accept and expect these ports from a console which no one bought at the first place? I mean, they've made not only a console that no one bought but also games that no one bought on top of that, so it's really not all that hard to understand that they want to cover the loss of a huge sum of money and at the same time to let more people play these games.

Imagine if like Sega after Dreamcast's flop decided to make a new console which in the end had sold much better than Dreamcast and then they've decided to port Dreamcast games to this new console to let more people play them. Now, WTF is wrong with that?

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I mean, fine, port Wii U games to Switch. But ... how about porting THE ONE open-world game first?! Xenoblade Chronicles X would be the perfect low cost-port to give those who bought a Switch for BotW, Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc new food (and it's a masterpiece, too. Based Sawano ❤). But no, Nintendo keeps porting everything else. :/

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I mean, fine, port Wii U games to Switch. But ... how about porting THE ONE open-world game first?! Xenoblade Chronicles X would be the perfect low cost-port to give those who bought a Switch for BotW, Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc new food (and it's a masterpiece, too. Based Sawano ❤). But no, Nintendo keeps porting everything else. :/
It's coming for sure, there's rumors about it and X2 so my guess is that they'll port it to Switch one year or somethin' before X2. Hell, they might even announce it in E3's Direct this year.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But don't you think that it is reasonable to accept and expect these ports from a console which no one bought at the first place? I mean, they've made not only a console that no one bought but also games that no one bought on top of that, so it's really not all that hard to understand that they want to cover the loss of a huge sum of money and at the same time to let more people play these games.

Imagine if like Sega after Dreamcast's flop decided to make a new console which in the end had sold much better than Dreamcast and then they've decided to port Dreamcast games to this new console to let more people play them. Now, WTF is wrong with that?

14 million nobodies... I still cannot stomach how Nintendo and a lot of Nintendo fans dismissed that audience...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
14 million nobodies... I still cannot stomach how Nintendo and a lot of Nintendo fans dismissed that audience...
Yeah, it's kinda funny (or not, depends if you're Wii U owner or not) when you look at it like that ))))

I mean, you'd think that even with and really not all that small install base you can do alright and with time can do better as more games come out and as more people buy the console, but look what happened. Switch on the other hand is exact opposite of what Wii U was and "achieved". Hell, 10+ million people bought SMO (almost all Switch owners), name me just one Wii U game which got the same sales numbers.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
What the f*** kinda statement is that?
What world are we living in when it's weird for someone to say 'You want to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door? Buy a Gamecube'. You want every game that YOU are interested in magically ported to the one console that you chose to buy.

Very strange. The amount of hate around the Wii U and the love around the Switch is unhealthy.

Last edited:

Greedings

I also think a port of Grand Theft Auto V
Borderland's Collection(1,2 and Prequel)
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario 64 and StarFox Zero.

Cool, more games I've already played on other platforms. Some of which are the most popular games ever (GTA, SMG1/2)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The amount of hate around the Wii U and the love around the Switch is unhealthy.
4INHuRS.gif

I know i don't hate it, it's just there wasn't any reason for me to buy one and that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

Not to most Nintendo-fans, though.

Forum ones maybe, but when you see 70 million 3ds sold vs 14 million Wii U systems, it's clear not every type of Nintendo fan got to experience this stuff. Mario Kart 8 is actually really good to use as the bar here. It sold 8 million on Wii U while 7 sold almost double that, meanwhile the Switch port of 8 is trending to sell similar to 7 despite being just a port.

To make things more interesting, consoles tend to sell much more software than portables do, so with the Switch being what it is you'll likely see almost every port outsell the original, sometimes astronomically. That's an unheard of situation, that's how bad the U sold. Even Smash bros, a console series, sold the bulk on portable. It's clear most Nintendo fans were on 3ds often solely and for them Switch has a bounty of games.

I still think later half 2018 can be great, Mario tennis seems great, and E3 is still around the corner.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Forum ones maybe, but when you see 70 million 3ds sold vs 14 million Wii U systems, it's clear not every type of Nintendo fan got to experience this stuff. Mario Kart 8 is actually really good to use as the bar here. It sold 8 million on Wii U while 7 sold almost double that, meanwhile the Switch port of 8 is trending to sell similar to 7 despite being just a port.

To make things more interesting, consoles tend to sell much more software than portables do, so with the Switch being what it is you'll likely see almost every port outsell the original, sometimes astronomically. That's an unheard of situation, that's how bad the U sold. Even Smash bros, a console series, sold the bulk on portable. It's clear most Nintendo fans were on 3ds often solely and for them Switch has a bounty of games.

I still think later half 2018 can be great, Mario tennis seems great, and E3 is still around the corner.

What I consider 'Nintendo-fan' bought a Wii U. You couldn't claim yourself a Nintendo-fan for 5 years during the Wii U era and ignore the barrage of 1st party titles. If you could, you have a fleeting interest in Nintendo, but you're not really a fan. That's my definition anyway.

And I find dismissing these 14 mio people kinda gross tbh.

Zog

Banned
Forum ones maybe, but when you see 70 million 3ds sold vs 14 million Wii U systems, it's clear not every type of Nintendo fan got to experience this stuff

More like chose not to experience this stuff.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

What I consider 'Nintendo-fan' bought a Wii U. You couldn't claim yourself a Nintendo-fan for 5 years during the Wii U era and ignore the barrage of 1st party titles. If you could, you have a fleeting interest in Nintendo, but you're not really a fan. That's my definition anyway.

And I find dismissing these 14 mio people kinda gross tbh.

I loved the Wii U but to call it odd to skip it as a Nintendo fan is odd in itself. If you're not a fan of platformers suddenly the Wii U becomes pretty lean. If you think about how many series didn't get represented on the Wii U it's pretty crazy. Wii U didn't get original mainline entries for Animal crossing, Fire Emblem, Zelda (until the last day), Metroid, Pokemon, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, and a bunch of others while the 3ds did.

If you can only do one, the 3DS is a pretty clear winner. It has probably 4x the first party output that the U had and most of those U games even got ported, not so much the reverse. How many must have Wii U games launched where a similar game didn't already exist on 3DS? Pikmin 3, Tropical freeze and Captain Toad come to mind but there wasn't much.

I'm about as hardcore a Nintendo fan as you can get, I own probably a couple thousand games on Nintendo systems but I'm certainly not a normal situation. Most people don't own multiple systems, that doesn't make them non fans. Wii U is easier to skip than people think if you already own a 3ds, where as Switch was basically all in year one and just went into a drought. In fact as a collector I already own more Switch releases than Wii U games and I own basically the entire relevant library.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
So...because the first _half_ of 18 isnt as stacked as 17 suddenly the Switch sucks ?
As opposed to what, the first 2 Years of Xbox and Ps4 and their amazing first Party Output ?
The Year isnt half over and you already give up on a Console because they dont deliver a system seller every 2 Months ?

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
I got some heat from my friends when I mentioned that I kind of regretted buying my Switch when I did. I got the Odyssey bundle and while I very much enjoyed it, it's been sitting and collecting dust ever since. Zelda is waiting but I'm hesitant to spend full price. Kirby I love but also think $60 is too much. Short answer is I'm probably just cheap, but I wish I had waited until the console was a bit more stacked as it was so front loaded and I, along with many others are sitting on their hands waiting for something spectacular to blow us all away.

So...because the first _half_ of 18 isnt as stacked as 17 suddenly the Switch sucks ?
The Switch doesn't suck, the release schedule for 2018 kinda does.

As opposed to what, the first 2 Years of Xbox and Ps4 and their amazing first Party Output ?
You're right. Those sucked too. Don't know what that has to do with Switch though.

The Year isnt half over and you already give up on a Console because they dont deliver a system seller every 2 Months ?
Nobody's giving up on anything, but this year's schedule isn't shaping up as well as we'd like. We thought Nintendo had taken steps to avoid this from happening, and yet here we are. It's a bit disappointing to some. Even if Nintendo were to announce a killer line-up for the latter half of 2018, that still doesn't change the first half's disappointing line-up. And if I understand the OP right, he doesn't think it would excuse it either.

KevinKeene

Banned

"Isn't as stacked"

New releases in H1/2018: Kirby

Vawn

Banned
I got some heat from my friends when I mentioned that I kind of regretted buying my Switch when I did. I got the Odyssey bundle and while I very much enjoyed it, it's been sitting and collecting dust ever since. Zelda is waiting but I'm hesitant to spend full price. Kirby I love but also think $60 is too much. Short answer is I'm probably just cheap, but I wish I had waited until the console was a bit more stacked as it was so front loaded and I, along with many others are sitting on their hands waiting for something spectacular to blow us all away.

If you're waiting for significant price drops on games, you might as well sell the Switch now.

goldenpp72

I don't want to press but if you haven't played Zelda you are doing yourself a great disservice. It's an experience I cherish and the game that dethroned my top game of all time (ninja gaiden) , it took about 15 years for a game to truly top that experience for me. I actually had thought I simply didn't like games as much as I used to until BOTW smacked me in the face.

If I could relive one gaming moment it would be that. Most can easily sink 100 hours into it and still not do it all. Kirby was painfully average and I love that series as well, so definitely do a sale there.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If you're waiting for significant price drops on games, you might as well sell the Switch now.

Depends on the game. You can get decent sales thanks to certain things like "Pro Day" at Gamestop or through used copies. Also certain franchises like Kirby tend to go down in price at a faster rate than mainstays like Zelda or Mario.

"Isn't as stacked"

New releases in H1/2018: Kirby
Labo, Mario Tennis and Sushi Striker are also first half 2018. It doesn't matter how you feel about Labo and Sushi Striker, Nintendo can't please BotW and Odyssey fans every friggin month. That's impossible... it's like asking Sony to bring a God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us etc every 3rd month, but look at how much time's passed between Horizon and God of War and look at how many mediocre games they've published in-between. GT Sport is the only noteworthy game amongst 4 others. Nintendo isn't any different.

The problem is, again, the lack of good 3rd party support that covers for these month of no big Nintendo releases. We need more Mario&Rabbids... and this might change in the next years, if the Switch keeps selling as well as it does, but it's not surprising that we are going through a rough patch right now, especially after that ridiculous first year. Maybe it would've been better to delay XC2 to Febuary or April 2018 instead of a 2017 release (it needed more optimizing anyways).

Oh and btw: I actually want WiiU ports, even though I still own a WiiU. I think it is a huge bonus to be able to play MK8 on the go and I am looking forward to play Captain Toad again. I really hope we get TMS#FE, XCX and Paper Mario. I really want them as Handheld games, the same goes for Indies... I have been buying some Indies a 2nd time for my Switch and am hoping for CrossCode and Secrets of Grindea to come out on this System as well.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Switch is good for indies this year.
Only time I fire it up anymore is for a quick romp through an indie title.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Labo, Mario Tennis and Sushi Striker are also first half 2018. It doesn't matter how you feel about Labo and Sushi Striker, Nintendo can't please BotW and Odyssey fans every friggin month. That's impossible... it's like asking Sony to bring a God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us etc every 3rd month, but look at how much time's passed between Horizon and God of War and look at how many mediocre games they've published in-between. GT Sport is the only noteworthy game amongst 4 others. Nintendo isn't any different.

The problem is, again, the lack of good 3rd party support that covers for these month of no big Nintendo releases. We need more Mario&Rabbids... and this might change in the next years, if the Switch keeps selling as well as it does, but it's not surprising that we are going through a rough patch right now, especially after that ridiculous first year. Maybe it would've been better to delay XC2 to Febuary or April 2018 instead of a 2017 release (it needed more optimizing anyways).

Oh and btw: I actually want WiiU ports, even though I still own a WiiU. I think it is a huge bonus to be able to play MK8 on the go and I am looking forward to play Captain Toad again. I really hope we get TMS#FE, XCX and Paper Mario. I really want them as Handheld games, the same goes for Indies... I have been buying some Indies a 2nd time for my Switch and am hoping for CrossCode and Secrets of Grindea to come out on this System as well.

I would *love* to play TMS without the needless censorship. Same with XCX.

Captain Toad is really tempting me with the new levels added to the game.

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
I don't want to press but if you haven't played Zelda you are doing yourself a great disservice. It's an experience I cherish and the game that dethroned my top game of all time (ninja gaiden) , it took about 15 years for a game to truly top that experience for me. I actually had thought I simply didn't like games as much as I used to until BOTW smacked me in the face.

If I could relive one gaming moment it would be that. Most can easily sink 100 hours into it and still not do it all. Kirby was painfully average and I love that series as well, so definitely do a sale there.

Sigh, I know. I really need to carve out some time in my schedule to play it. Annoyingly my friend all have it and beat it yet won't let me burrow it. So the idea of paying for a brand new copy when I could have easy access to it for free annoys me so we are at a stand still. Keep in mind I've been friends with these guys for over 10 years and it's just the baggage that comes with knowing someone that long. And before you assume anything, I have a suburb track record with keeping my games clean and not treating them poorly. My friends are just jerks.

Last edited:

DonF

If you only own a switch, and your last console was a wii or wii u, then the switch is awesome. Tons of games and mobility, but if you own a pc it starts to look not so great, between not so great ports and high prices...then if you own a ps4 or xbox, the value proposition of the switch simply halves...or less.
I own a ps4 pro and a decent pc and my switch is gathering dust. The mobility vs the price or better performance on other platform...I just can't justify it. My switch is exclusively a exclusives machine, and nintendo had a great 2017, but 2018 is dry AF. Only Bayonetta 2 in close to 6 months. Not a great output.

Zog

Banned
I have $40 sitting on my Nintendo account and have been looking for something to buy on the Switch for several weeks. The only game that remotely has my interest is a mobile game called Knights of Pen and Paper but it didn't have a demo so I downloaded it's sequel on my phone to try out. Not sure why I should pay $14.99 for it now.

I imagine it's the same with most indie games, they are cheaper elsewhere.

KevinKeene

Banned

1.) It does matter how I 'feel' about them. They're small, shitty games.

2.) Let's say my 'feelings' don't matter: Reggie himself said Labo is for a different audience (and it clearly is intended for young children).

3.) Come ON, there's a spectrum between BotW and Labo. Nintendo didn't even try.

4.) Sony doesn't matter. Sony has 3rd-psrty support.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If you bought a Switch as your main gaming machine you are a moron tbh. Its a first party tab with a few exclusives lol. That being said I think the last Ps4 game I bought was Dragon's Crown Pro which is a port. Prob the last thing I'll buy on the 4 this year. Oh wait there is Spyro remaster! Wait what were we talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
On the other hand, if you have other gaming machines then the Switch library looks even worse.
Its the newest console so it makes sense. I got the ps4 day one and that didn't have games until what... Bloodborne? Then we started getting actual 3rd party support. Like 5 of my Ps4 games are actual exclusives so eh MMV. I'm ok with not having 3+ new games per month across multiple systems plenty of other things to catch up on myself . Considering how many lazy Japanese companies are making the Switch the new Vita and just porting shit from there, technically the other versions are the ports right? jkjk I kinda get where the OP is coming from but the other systems have been around for what 4 years and they had quite a slow start 2. RIP Switch/Xbox.

Zog

Banned
Its the newest console so it makes sense. I got the ps4 day one and that didn't have games until what... Bloodborne? Then we started getting actual 3rd party support. Like 5 of my Ps4 games are actual exclusives so eh MMV. I'm ok with not having 3+ new games per month across multiple systems plenty of other things to catch up on myself . Considering how many lazy Japanese companies are making the Switch the new Vita and just porting shit from there, technically the other versions are the ports right? jkjk I kinda get where the OP is coming from but the other systems have been around for what 4 years and they had quite a slow start 2. RIP Switch/Xbox.
You know, when Switch owners are looking for games to play that they haven't already played elsewhere (and maybe for cheaper) this explanation is not helpful.

Top Bottom