• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never forget: Nintendo Switch' terrible 2018 lineup

KevinKeene

Banned
DMMf0AG.png

If all you have is a Switch all I can say is that It will get better over time I hope!

I have a PS4, PC, Vita, 3DS, etc.. Switch is my main system because it is the only system that lets me play games the way I want: free from the tv. so, it's winning per default.

If given the choice, I'll always choose the Switch-version. And there's no way I'll ever play a game like persona 5 tied to the tv. I wouldn't have played persona 4 if it wasn't for the Vita.

So mocking gamers who predominantly play on Switch? Not cool.

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
I don't know if he was mocking gamers who predominantly play on switch. He was mocking the person who only has a switch and is complaining about having no games to play.
The switch is a great "second machine" for most players I feel, but counting on it to fill every gaming want and needs is a bit silly. Not saying that's what you were doing but I think that's the jist of the "mocking" portion

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have a PS4, PC, Vita, 3DS, etc.. Switch is my main system because it is the only system that lets me play games the way I want: free from the tv. so, it's winning per default.

If given the choice, I'll always choose the Switch-version. And there's no way I'll ever play a game like persona 5 tied to the tv. I wouldn't have played persona 4 if it wasn't for the Vita.

Sorry but this post makes no sense to me. So you want to play games on a portable then but have a pc? So like play em on your monitor.

I don't know if he was mocking gamers who predominantly play on switch. He was mocking the person who only has a switch and is complaining about having no games to play.
The switch is a great "second machine" for most players I feel, but counting on it to fill every gaming want and needs is a bit silly. Not saying that's what you were doing but I think that's the jist of the "mocking" portion

This.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinKeene

Banned

But that's not Nintendo's claim/goal, agreed? Nintendo wants Switch to be your main device for gaming. That's where we're returning to the premise of this thread :)

Sorry but this post makes no sense to me. So you want to play games on a portable then but have a pc? So like play em on your monitor.

Speaking of not making sense ... huh? 🤔

1.) It does matter how I 'feel' about them. They're small, shitty games.
It only matters to you, but that doesn't make any of your statements right. People who enjoy the ports (especially those that didn't own a WiiU - there seem to be many when we look at sales figures), Kirby and Mario Tennis can't say that the first half was a complete letdown.
3.) Come ON, there's a spectrum between BotW and Labo. Nintendo didn't even try.
I am pretty sure that Labo was extremely expensive to develop. It IS a really big release for Nintendo and for the Switch. Nintendo did try, they just did something that didn't please most of us core gamers.
4.) Sony doesn't matter. Sony has 3rd-psrty support.
But Sony does matter, because you are singling out Nintendo for something which is fairly normal in this industry. Again: it's the lack of 3rd party support that should be addressed (what else is there besides Octopath Traveler in 2017?), not the inability of Nintendo to deliver one BotW after another, especially not when they've blown their load in the very 1st year. Expectations like this are ridiculous and this was your whole point in the OP. You want Nintendo to release one big game after another, which is just not possible. Droughts like we have now are to be expected, every single console has them... even WITH 3rd party support and even more so in their early life when the system is still new.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But that's not Nintendo's claim/goal, agreed? Nintendo wants Switch to be your main device for gaming. That's where we're returning to the premise of this thread :)
Huh? All of their advertisement made it out to seem like it was just something you took on the road/park/bus/work. I don't know what to tell you outside what you already know. Comparing it to last gens "winner" (ps4) empty library for its first 2 years vs the Switch actually having (some) games to play is baffling. We are just going in circles now ^^

KevinKeene

Banned
It only matters to you, but that doesn't make any of your statements right. People who enjoy the ports (especially those that didn't own a WiiU - there seem to be many when we look at sales figures), Kirby and Mario Tennis can't say that the first half was a complete letdown.

I am pretty sure that Labo was extremely expensive to develop. It IS a really big release for Nintendo and for the Switch. Nintendo did try, they just did something that didn't please most of us core gamers.

But Sony does matter, because you are singling out Nintendo for something which is fairly normal in this industry. Again: it's the lack of 3rd party support that should be addressed (what else is there besides Octopath Traveler in 2017?), not the inability of Nintendo to deliver one BotW after another, especially not when they've blown their load in the very 1st year. Expectations like this are ridiculous and this was your whole point in the OP. You want Nintendo to release one big game after another, which is just not possible. Droughts like we have now are to be expected, every single console has them... even WITH 3rd party support and even more so in their early life when the system is still new.

You conveniently left out 2.).

And it's ridiculous to push fault toward 3rd-party publishers. It's also ridiculous to distill my 'having only a generic Kirby-game in the entirety of H1/2018 (and a tennis-game at the very tail end)' into 'you expect one big game after the other'.

I'm a bit baffled by the extreme train of thought of yours. All or nothing. That's it? Surely not. Had Fire Emblem and Yoshi been H1/2018-releases, this thread wouldn't exist. But Nintendo chose to release nothing new in the first half. This is something that's fair to expect.

Btw you're vastly overselling Nintendo's 2017-lineup by saying blew their load'. Switch had great games in 2017 - but not many.

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
Right, but Nintendo aint getting close to said claim/goal with the current line up. Not even saying it's fair, but that's the expectation put on you when you are released during Microsoft and Sony's mid-cycles.
People asking about third party support while complaining that all they are getting are remasters/old ports. It's Nintendo trying to please multiple masters and not making anyone happy. Which is why I've been happy counting Switch as a nice "B-Console"

KevinKeene

Banned
Huh? All of their advertisement made it out to seem like it was just something you took on the road/park/bus/work. I don't know what to tell you outside what you already know.

Are you claiming Nintendo wants Switch to be secondary? Ok ...

(Also they always marketed it as a console that can be taken outside)

I could see being upset about the lineup if you don't like Pokemon, didn't like Zelda and only made it 1/3 of the way through Mario. Also if you aren't into Smash, Bayonetta, already had a Wii U, don't like remasters, aren't an animal crossing fan, not into Splatoon, already played the ports from other generations, aren't into mario sports games or don't like the 2k sports series. in my opinion there are 101 reasons why I love Nintendo Switch, just as much as I love my XBox One and Playstation 4. Neither company is really crushing it this other than one or two major games this year so far. We don't even know what's in store for E3 other than what people making predictions think they know.

I've owned every Nintendo hardware iteration released in North America and I don't see any reason to be disappointed with the Nintendo Switch lineup. Just because there aren't games that interest you doesn't mean that the games aren't there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Are you claiming Nintendo wants Switch to be secondary? Ok ...

(Also they always marketed it as a console that can be taken outside)
I'm claiming you want the Switch to be something it isn't. It prob never will be, seeing how weak the hardware is it won't get many "new" ports that aren't like Sega/Namco/lowtier sports company/Capcom multiports.

(Also that is what I said!)

I could see being upset about the lineup if you don't like Pokemon, didn't like Zelda and only made it 1/3 of the way through Mario. Also if you aren't into Smash, Bayonetta, already had a Wii U, don't like remasters, aren't an animal crossing fan, not into Splatoon, already played the ports from other generations, aren't into mario sports games or don't like the 2k sports series. in my opinion there are 101 reasons why I love Nintendo Switch, just as much as I love my XBox One and Playstation 4. Neither company is really crushing it this other than one or two major games this year so far. We don't even know what's in store for E3 other than what people making predictions think they know.

I've owned every Nintendo hardware iteration released in North America and I don't see any reason to be disappointed with the Nintendo Switch lineup. Just because there aren't games that interest you doesn't mean that the games aren't there.
What I get from his posts is that he wants Nintendo to have all the new ports/more games that aren't first party that usually release on PC/Sony/MS consoles because he likes playing on a portable. Hardware limitations be damned!

I wholly agree. Summer droughts happen ever single year, and it happens across platforms. Nintendo has said they'll be announcing games that will release in 2018 at E3, I think the haters should chill out at least until after E3.

goldenpp72

1.) It does matter how I 'feel' about them. They're small, shitty games.

2.) Let's say my 'feelings' don't matter: Reggie himself said Labo is for a different audience (and it clearly is intended for young children).

3.) Come ON, there's a spectrum between BotW and Labo. Nintendo didn't even try.

4.) Sony doesn't matter. Sony has 3rd-psrty support.

How is Mario Tennis small? It may not be open world AAA but it's about as high quality a sports game as you'll find, and that's coming from the Wii U game which was pretty bad. Demo was spectacular and deep.

Nintendo wants the Switch to be what it isn't - because of this lineup.
There's nothing wrong with the lineup.
I'm claiming you want the Switch to be something it isn't. It prob never will be, seeing how weak the hardware is it won't get many "new" ports that aren't like Sega/Namco/lowtier sports company/Capcom multiports.

(Also that is what I said!)

What I get from his posts is that he wants Nintendo to have all the new ports/more games that aren't first party that usually release on PC/Sony/MS consoles because he likes playing on a portable. Hardware limitations be damned!
I think that as Nintendo continues to sell and Nintendo continues to work with 3rd parties and show them what Switch is capable of, they will come around. I also think that a lot of third party announcements are going to surface this year. I knew going into Nintendo Switch that I would have to be patient as far as 3rd party lineups go. Unfortunately Nintendo hasn't really had the strongest showing of 3rd party support since Gamecube. This is a perfectly capable system and the development environment is accessible vs. what Wii U was.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing wrong with the lineup.

I think that as Nintendo continues to sell and Nintendo continues to work with 3rd parties and show them what Switch is capable of, they will come around. I also think that a lot of third party announcements are going to surface this year. I knew going into Nintendo Switch that I would have to be patient as far as 3rd party lineups go. Unfortunately Nintendo hasn't really had the strongest showing of 3rd party support since Gamecube. This is a perfectly capable system and the development environment is accessible vs. what Wii U was.
I actually see a bright future for JRPG's on the system but that might not be for everybody. That being said where is my Metroid Nintendo?

I have a Wii U, PS4, Nintendo Switch and XBox One. I find the lineup for all three companies to be a little slim as far as my interests go, but I still understand that the software is out there.

Zog

Banned
Huh? All of their advertisement made it out to seem like it was just something you took on the road/park/bus/work. I don't know what to tell you outside what you already know. Comparing it to last gens "winner" (ps4) empty library for its first 2 years vs the Switch actually having (some) games to play is baffling. We are just going in circles now ^^
Nintendo did not advertise the Switch as a secondary console. In fact, it's hybrid nature suggests that they want it to be your at home AND your on the go console.

KevinKeene

Banned
I'm seeing too many postings here and on other forums that ridicule this thread by saying 'why make this thread before E3?'.

This thread is about how the FIRST HALF of 2018 is unacceptably bad and that no matter what the 2nd half has to offer, it won't make it a great year overall. Unless you're okay waiting over 6 months between new game releases (and that's assuming you like EVERYTHING Nintendo releases).

No 'this has always been like this' or 'Sony is bad, too' make the H1/2018 lineup better. I find it a bit frustrating to see this, honestly, fanboyish attitude. Especially since I'm a Nintendo-fan myself, not someone who's out to shit on Nintendo.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo did not advertise the Switch as a secondary console. In fact, it's hybrid nature suggests that they want it to be your at home AND your on the go console.
Its realistically a secondary console as of right now and the OP himself seems to just like to play it with it undocked. On most of the ads they loved the "take it with you everywhere" angle before going back to "playing" with it on a dock. Its a nice gimmick.

Mikey Jr.

When you get a Nintendo console, you don't go in expecting a lot of games.

There is a reason its called the "Nintendo drought".

You MUST love Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Smash.

If you don't, then good luck. I have no desire for Smash/Pokemon, so 2018 might as well have no games.

Zannegan

I'm seeing too many postings here and on other forums that ridicule this thread by saying 'why make this thread before E3?'.

This thread is about how the FIRST HALF of 2018 is unacceptably bad and that no matter what the 2nd half has to offer, it won't make it a great year overall. Unless you're okay waiting over 6 months between new game releases (and that's assuming you like EVERYTHING Nintendo releases).

No 'this has always been like this' or 'Sony is bad, too' make the H1/2018 lineup better. I find it a bit frustrating to see this, honestly, fanboyish attitude. Especially since I'm a Nintendo-fan myself, not someone who's out to shit on Nintendo.

Maybe stop throwing "fanboyish" around to describe people with reasonable expectations who don't share your apparent distress.

Look at what Nintendo is as a company, look at what they historically have been able to do and put out over the course of a generation. That should give you some indication of the number, quality, and spread of games you can reasonably expect from them. If you like, you can look at the first party output of its competitors for another benchmark against which to compare their output. If you're just going with your hopes and dreams or "implicit" messages in their advertising, you will be disappointed.

Acknowledging this reality and not being outraged by it doesn't make the people who don't agree with you fanboys. At worst, it makes them informed consumers with lower expectations than you. *shrug*

Vawn

Banned
Man. You guys are harsh. It seems like you're giving Nintendo a harder time over a slow first half of a year than you've given Xbox over a slow 4 full years.

KevinKeene

Banned
Maybe stop throwing "fanboyish" around to describe people with reasonable expectations who don't share your apparent distress.

Look at what Nintendo is as a company, look at what they historically have been able to do and put out over the course of a generation. That should give you some indication of the number, quality, and spread of games you can reasonably expect from them. If you like, you can look at the first party output of its competitors for another benchmark against which to compare their output. If you're just going with your hopes and dreams or "implicit" messages in their advertising, you will be disappointed.

Acknowledging this reality and not being outraged by it doesn't make the people who don't agree with you fanboys. At worst, it makes them informed consumers with lower expectations than you. *shrug*

I never did that.

Zannegan

I never did that.

No 'this has always been like this' or 'Sony is bad, too' make the H1/2018 lineup better. I find it a bit frustrating to see this, honestly, fanboyish attitude.

I mean, I'd say expecting games to be released in rough alignment with historical precedent ("It's always been like this") and/or their competitors ("Sony/MS does this too") is the definition of a reasonable expectation. Call me crazy.

And, just as a general note, you've been throwing "fanboy" around in this thread a lot. Maybe I'm misreading you, but I only have your words to go by.

Zog

Banned
Man. You guys are harsh. It seems like you're giving Nintendo a harder time over a slow first half of a year than you've given Xbox over a slow 4 full years.
The downside to the hype train that Switch has enjoyed is higher expectations.

KevinKeene

Banned
I mean, I'd say expecting games to be released in rough alignment with historical precedent ("It's always been like this") and/or their competitors ("Sony/MS does this too") is the definition of a reasonable expectation. Call me crazy.

And, just as a general note, you've been throwing "fanboy" around in this thread a lot. Maybe I'm misreading you, but I only have your words to go by.

I've used it once.

Green Yoshi

I think 2019 will be a fantastic year for the Switch but 2018 is indeed a little bit disappointing.
Let's hope Bethesda, Square Enix, Ubisoft and Electronic Arts will announce some games at E3.
There are enough PS3/360 games that deserve a Switch port.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Nintendo went all guns blazing for an awesome first year for Switch. Now they are paying the price for that. It was a pretty good first year - though the console is (currently) gathering dust in this household. Hopefully they will pick up pace again for 2019.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think 2019 will be a fantastic year for the Switch but 2018 is indeed a little bit disappointing.
Let's hope Bethesda, Square Enix, Ubisoft and Electronic Arts will announce some games at E3.
There are enough PS3/360 games that deserve a Switch port.

You had might right up til the last sentence.

If our goalpost here is "better and more remasters" then I feel like OP's point kinda stands.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While technically 2018 isn't going to be as good as 2017, for me personally, Mario Tennis alone makes 2018 a very very very good year. It's literally the first game I wanted when the Switch was first revealed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I mean, fine, port Wii U games to Switch. But ... how about porting THE ONE open-world game first?! Xenoblade Chronicles X would be the perfect low cost-port to give those who bought a Switch for BotW, Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc new food (and it's a masterpiece, too. Based Sawano ❤). But no, Nintendo keeps porting everything else. :/

I’m hoping this gets announced at E3. There’s also the Xenosaga HD Remaster rumor that has been picking up a lot of steam lately. I’ll take either one. Or better yet - both!

(Now we won’t get either of them)

FStubbs

Actually I'm not sure where this drought is for Switch. Indies have been putting pretty decent games out at a regular clip. First Nintendo platform where I'm buying a game a month this early.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean, fine, port Wii U games to Switch. But ... how about porting THE ONE open-world game first?! Xenoblade Chronicles X would be the perfect low cost-port to give those who bought a Switch for BotW, Skyrim, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc new food (and it's a masterpiece, too. Based Sawano ❤). But no, Nintendo keeps porting everything else. :/
Let not forget about Tokyo Mirage Session, that game also deserves to come to Switch as well.

Mecha Meow

Its more than enough for me with Musnyx, Aces, Octopath, Toad, and Sonic Mania+(double dip as I have the PC verson already), and about 5-6 (Pokemon Go Eevee, SNK Heroines, Mega Man 11, etc) others later this year.

With a couple PC releases and WoW and FFXIV, I'm set and actually have too much shit to play.

TYRiAX

OP is right, if you are only looking for original Nintendo games then the H1/2018 is pathetic, and that is a fact.

Personally I count myself lucky that I pretty much skipped Wii U so it ports are appealing, and I like a whole bunch of Indie games - so no drought for me!

With you, OP. Lifelong N fan, have had all their consoles, love their franchises...the lack of delivery on software is baffling.

EDMIX

Labo, Mario Tennis and Sushi Striker are also first half 2018. It doesn't matter how you feel about Labo and Sushi Striker, Nintendo can't please BotW and Odyssey fans every friggin month. That's impossible... it's like asking Sony to bring a God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us etc every 3rd month, but look at how much time's passed between Horizon and God of War and look at how many mediocre games they've published in-between. GT Sport is the only noteworthy game amongst 4 others. Nintendo isn't any different.

The problem is, again, the lack of good 3rd party support that covers for these month of no big Nintendo releases. We need more Mario&Rabbids... and this might change in the next years, if the Switch keeps selling as well as it does, but it's not surprising that we are going through a rough patch right now, especially after that ridiculous first year. Maybe it would've been better to delay XC2 to Febuary or April 2018 instead of a 2017 release (it needed more optimizing anyways).

Oh and btw: I actually want WiiU ports, even though I still own a WiiU. I think it is a huge bonus to be able to play MK8 on the go and I am looking forward to play Captain Toad again. I really hope we get TMS#FE, XCX and Paper Mario. I really want them as Handheld games, the same goes for Indies... I have been buying some Indies a 2nd time for my Switch and am hoping for CrossCode and Secrets of Grindea to come out on this System as well.

"That's impossible... it's like asking Sony to bring a God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us etc every 3rd month" Well with Sony bringing God Of War, Detroit, Spider-man all in one year, then next year Days Gone, The Last Of Us 2 etc, consider that when you factor in Yakuza 6, Yakuza 2 remake, KH3, Far Cry 5, Red Dead 2, BFV and many more, they don't even need to, but they still have more AAA titles then Nintendo coming at a riduculus rate, before we even factor 3rd party. So I think is because some of the BEST Nintendo games always fall along the same series, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Smash etc.

With Sony?

Who knows. Its not like you came into this gen KNOWING of Horizon Zero Dawn or Days Gone or Ghost Of Tsushima etc. With Horizon moving 8 million units, it shows that Sony can have something cooking brand new, that moves JUST AS MUCH as their top series. So Nintendo not only needs to start allowing for new IPs to have some damn focus and budget even NEAR their AAAs, they need to start pumping way more out that isn't the classic family friendly cartoony looking games. Not saying stop making them, simply also make something that is at least different from what they normally make if they want more market share. Right now Switch like Wii U is basically a Nintendo IP machine ie like Mario, Zelda or family friendly games or get out. I'd argue they lost lots of customers before they even tried to market to them because they are still running with the same fisher price type attitude. So if you didn't like Wii U or Wii or 3DS, I'm not sure Switch is going to be any different for some folks.

Sapiens

There's no other way to describe 2018 for Switch than "desolate." I've only purchased a couple indies - and Ikaruga.

ANTiFanboyDevon

Neo Member
It’s stuff Iike this that lead me to believe that the switch is going to be something like a 4-5 year system max before needing to upgrade.

Maxximus

Neo Member
I agree that 2018 so far has been bad, even as bad as Wii U droughts. I also need more than just a Smash Wii U port and Pokemon Go Switch Edition to save 2018. Really, it’s gonna have to come down to Fire Emblem and hopefully some HUGE 3rd party AAA support to rescue 2018 from being an absolute disaster.

KevinKeene

Banned
I agree that 2018 so far has been bad, even as bad as Wii U droughts. I also need more than just a Smash Wii U port and Pokemon Go Switch Edition to save 2018. Really, it’s gonna have to come down to Fire Emblem and hopefully some HUGE 3rd party AAA support to rescue 2018 from being an absolute disaster.

I agree.
Yes, Smash, Fire Emblem and Pokemon are 'big', but even then the lineup is missing thst one big surprise game.

I mentioned it in the announcement-thread: a new Kid Icarus could be such a title - albeit impossible because guess what Sakurai was working on. Even though it got leaked, StarFox Grandprix could be that game, too. Especially if it's a meaty game with an exciting story-campaign and tight 60fps-racing. Other than that ... no idea. Personally, I'd love a new Endless Ocean.

Ofc, if Nintendo just started the Virtual Console on Switch, we'd have plenty of nostalgic gaming power.

From 3rd parties, GTA5 is the big one, but apparently it's unlikely. So we'll have to wait and see what Ubisift and Bethesda can offer. And if SE is committed beyond Octopath and a very late DQ11-port.

Top Bottom