• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never forget: Nintendo Switch' terrible 2018 lineup

Zannegan

I mentioned it in the announcement-thread: a new Kid Icarus could be such a title - albeit impossible because guess what Sakurai was working on. Even though it got leaked, StarFox Grandprix could be that game, too. Especially if it's a meaty game with an exciting story-campaign and tight 60fps-racing. Other than that ... no idea. Personally, I'd love a new Endless Ocean.

Oh, hell yes. Either of these would make my E3.

Even a 2019 Kid Icarus announcement with an Uprising port to tide me over would put me over the moon (not that that would solve your no new games for 2018 problem). I'm normally not a fan of either linear shooters or score attack games, so I didn't expect to love KI:U as much as I did, but that game was just a riot. Multiplayer could use a second shot on a system that can display at better than 240p too.

And Endless Ocean... clunky mechanics and a nonsense story/characters couldn't take away from what was easily the most compelling chill gaming experience I've ever had.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And Endless Ocean... clunky mechanics and a nonsense story/characters couldn't take away from what was easily the chillest and most compelling gaming experience I've ever had.
I kind of disagree with you that. The controls takes time to get used but in the end I was able to play it perfectly fine even higher intensity. I also loved characters and story it god damn charming.

Zannegan

I kind of disagree with you that. The controls takes time to get used but in the end I was able to play it perfectly fine even higher intensity. I also loved characters and story it god damn charming.

I was thinking about the above-ground movement and some of the menus. Underwater (which was 99% of the game) was excellent, barring perhaps swimming straight down into tunnels and pits and the like. Can't agree with you on the characters though. I just wanted them to shut up and let me get to the next dive most times. Lol.

Hatty

I suppose I'm easy to please but I have way too much to play on my switch that I barely have time to play on anything else. I'd consider it my main console with my PC being secondary and my PS4 being used almost never. It probably helps that I didn't play too many of the indies that released last year so Stardew and Darkst Dungeon were both great on the Switch and Hyrule Warriors has so much miore content thatn the base Wii U version that its pretty much a new game to me. Bayonetta 1 and 2 are always good to just pick up and play so I'm glad they were ported this year too

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
They're “ridiculing” (presenting rational counterpoints to) this thread because it's a dumb one. You basically come off as an impatient, entitled toddler trying to make your bizzare, subjective, and frankly terrible opinion seem more important than it is.
I've always thought that those who resorted to insults were the ones on the losing end.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I didn't mind the story in Endless Ocean 1, it was just the right amount to make things mysterious. Endless Ocean 2 was too much in that regard, though, and I disliked the jumping around the whole globe. EO1's 'open-world' felt more modern.

They're “ridiculing” (presenting rational counterpoints to) this thread because it's a dumb one. You basically come off as an impatient, entitled toddler trying to make your bizzare, subjective, and frankly terrible opinion seem more important than it is.

Well, it's always nice when a (reasonable) opinion is met with personal insults :/

Last edited:
I've always thought that those who resorted to insults were the ones on the losing end.
Well, it's always nice when a (reasonable) opinion is met with personal insults :/
  • I don't like your tone, but I'll reply anyway:
    4.) My claim is that the H1/2018 lineup is inexcusable and a great 2nd half won't change the past. And stop saying 'proof', it makes you look ridiculous. This isn't court.
    Maybe you're one of those people that deluded themselves into hyping games like Ever Oasis, but most gamers don't care about these games. H1/2018 has been terrible - how do you benefit defending that?
  • You fully ignored the point and made this borderline psychotic reply posting. You will always find an excuse for Nintendo if you keep moving goalposts and argue from a perspective that is not your own.

I never did that.
I've used it once.
  • PS: Again, I'm a Nintendo-fan. But I hate fanboys (+1)who celebrate and praise this lineup. Have some selfworth and stop belly-rubbing a company that could do so much better.
  • But nobody can like H1/2018 when there was no markable new release outside of Kirby. That's why I made this thread: I've read too many fanboys, (+2)already who try to excuse H1/2018 with the year end-releases, and I strongly oppose that attitude. 3 good games at the end of the year don't make 6+ months of nothing okay.
  • No 'this has always been like this' or 'Sony is bad, too' make the H1/2018 lineup better. I find it a bit frustrating to see this, honestly, fanboyish (+3) attitude. Especially since I'm a Nintendo-fan myself, not someone who's out to shit on Nintendo.
"Never forget" indeed.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned

"Never forget" indeed.

So you have nothing to contribute and your only motivation to post in this thread is some weird vendetta?

I won't bother answering your 'gotcha!' thing, it's wrong and it has no relation to the topic at hand.

Just this: it's not an insult to say it's borderline psychotic to go to such lengths to defend Nintendo. If you have more personal attacks prepared, send them via pm. This thread is about the Switch' terrible H1/2018 lineup.

Silvawuff

You are my hero, OP. It's nice to see others displeased with the hamfisted business practice and release schedule that is Nintendo.

I don´t know how to say this in a way that won´t make me sound like a nintendo fanboy or worse, but as a person that DOESN´T own a switch but owns all 3 eight gen consoles (XBOXO, PS4 and WiiU), I believe that the switch game situation is not that bad for 2018. If we don´t count multiplataform games or ports, or games I don´t like, there is just one game that is worth for me in the first half of the year.

That means that the industry is in its worst satate ever?, no, just that I´m picky.

There are a lot of games that you can play on switch, and many are great late ports that are wort your time if you give them a try, and if you don´t own or owned a WiiU its even better. But at the end every one is free to have its own opinion.

By the way, I don´t own the switch because I still have to finish my backlog of games Wii U

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You are my hero, OP. It's nice to see others displeased with the hamfisted business practice and release schedule that is Nintendo.
I too agree with the OP nintendo did not did well later in the switch.

I am happy i never played warriors on the wii u as i the wii u was even worse then the switch.

So i have something to play.
But tbh system sellers are 2 games. Zelda and mario. That's it. Splatoon 2 is cool for 25 but meh.

Nintendo really need to up their game in good exclusives cause these ports are really really annoying me

Mozza

I still feel this is all just opinion based on what the hardcore market would like the Switch's release schedule to look like.

KevinKeene

Banned
I still feel this is all just opinion based on what the hardcore market would like the Switch's release schedule to look like.

This thread is about Nintendo's 1st party lineup. A Kirby-game in March. A Mario Tennis at the very end of the first half of the year. That is Nintends output for H1/2018. Sure finding that terrible is 'opinion based'. But I'd find it hard to believe that anyone, especially Nintendo-fans, can look at that lineup and say 'well done, Nintendo'.

tkscz

Honestly didn't really notice. There are some great indy games filling in the gaps for major releases this year.

Mozza

As you said it's an opinion,I am not defending the first party lineup from Nintendo,but as they tend to sell a lot of consoles over the holiday period I would not be surprised to see a lot of stuff that's they are keeping quiet about until E3.....if after the event it's still a little sparse then I may change my opinion somewhat. ;)

Vawn

Banned

"Breath of the Wild is better than Superman 64" is also just an opinion.

That doesn't mean it's difficult to build a strong argument for that opinion.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
As you said it's an opinion,I am not defending the first party lineup from Nintendo,but as they tend to sell a lot of consoles over the holiday period I would not be surprised to see a lot of stuff that's they are keeping quiet about until E3.....if after the event it's still a little sparse then I may change my opinion somewhat. ;)

But no E3 announcement will be able to improve the H1/2018 lineup. You agree with that, right?

Mozza

Of course you can't change what has already happened,but I do think Nintendo were always going to coast of their first years releases and wait until the latter part of the year,and as I have said the Indie titles and ports have been taking up the slack,as a lot of Switch owners will be playing these titles for the first time.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
But no E3 announcement will be able to improve the H1/2018 lineup. You agree with that, right?

We'll be able to tell if it was voluntary or necessity after E3 this year. If they delayed 1-2 games because of needed polish, I won't complain personally. If the latter half of 2018 is bad for 1st party, we'll know better that they're having issues.

OH-MyCar

So about 2018 ... :eek:

ash-jack-shit.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I still have the same games I got when I was given the switch so to me all games coming out are ones I may pick up later. to me there is no drought as such just games I am not so hyped about but a few are on my radar. I never owned a PS4 or xbone so any ports coming over might be my first time experiencing them apart from DBFZ and the street fighter games.
It’s not all doom and gloom

cryptoadam

Banned
I thought we would see 6 or 7 games (including ports and ACES) at E3 which would of made the back half of 2018 strong with 1 first party title per month.

But ya I agree now that 2018 has been a baron year for Switch. There are still a ton of games, but after 2017 Nintendo really dropped the ball. A few ports, Smash,Aces, Pokemon spin off and Mario party is not a strong enough line up for a whole year when you don't get the AAA 3rd party stuff. No Division, no RDR2, no COD, no BF, etc... Nintendo HAS to step up and release first party software on the regular.

All I can say is Nintendo better be holding out for 2019 because if they don't have 10 first party games for 2019 (we already know 2 so far) then they are going to be in BIG TROUBLE.

so for 2019...

Gen 8 Pokemon
FE
Yoshi
Star Fox
Metroid
Bayo

thats 5, they need at least another 5 games and some ports. If it was me...
Pikmin
New Super Mario Bros All Star collection (all games on one cart)
Mario Maker 2
Arms 2
New IP

and then maybe 2 ports

Fbh

It's even worse now after the Direct
Until yesterday I was like "well at least Fire Emblem will end the year on a high note".

Nope 2019

oagboghi2

Mario Tennis
Toad trackers
DragonBall fighters
Fortnite
Paladins
Dark Souls
Xenoblade DLC
Pokemon
Wolfenstein
Octopath
Smash Bros
Monster Hunter
The World ends with you
Banner Saga
Hollow Knight

and the rest of the eshop....

Define "barren". To me Barren implies nothing is being released period. The switch has a pretty decent line-up for the rest of the year.

iconmaster

Banned
Yeah, now that the E3 direct is over I'm inclined to agree with KevinKeene KevinKeene in regards to first-party output.

It's third parties picking up the slack, strangely (and fortunately).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
so for 2019...

Gen 8 Pokemon
FE
Yoshi
Star Fox
Metroid
Bayo
We can only hope at this point :(

About 2018 line-up. If you don't count Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad (Wii U port), new Mario Tenis, Smash and new Mario Party... there's basically nothing to play when it comes to big first-party and third-party games. Couldn't care less about Yoshi cuz i'm sure this game is for kinds first like Kirby and not for hardcore gamers. As for me, this year i only care about Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad and maybe new Smash (i need a demo to try it out before i'll buy the game though), plus new DLCs from XC2 (here's hoping that we'll be able to buy it separately from season pass) and M+R. I guess this year is covered for me cuz i haven't even played XC2 and M+R, but i can't say the same about everyone else. Can't say anything about 8 Gen Pikemon game, i need to see it first.

Also, if next year we'll only get new FE, Star Fox, 8 Gen Pokemin and Yoshi for example and no Wii U / Game Cube ports / HD Remasters (Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions etc.).... Fuck. I don't want to think about it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

About 2018 line-up. If you don't count Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad (Wii U port), new Mario Tenis, Smash and new Mario Party... there's basically nothing to play when it comes to big first-party and third-party games. Couldn't care less about Yoshi cuz i'm sure this game is for kinds first like Kirby and not for hardcore gamers. As for me, this year i only care about Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad and maybe new Smash (i need a demo to try it out before i'll buy the game though), plus new DLCs from XC2 (here's hoping that we'll be able to buy it separately from season pass) and M+R. I guess this year is covered for me cuz i haven't even played XC2 and M+R, but i can't say the same about everyone else. Can't say anything about 8 Gen Pikemon game, i need to see it first.

Also, if next year we'll see only new FE, Star Fox and Yoshi for example and no Wii U ports (Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions etc.).... Fuck. I don't want to think about it.
You can actually buy the physical copy of it.

cryptoadam

Banned

Also, if next year we'll see only new FE, Star Fox and Yoshi for example and no Wii U ports (Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions etc.).... Fuck. I don't want to think about it.

Basically 2018 didn't have enough software. I was willing to forgive the first half because I really thought the back half would be huge, but the rest of 2018 is pretty dry. Don't get me wrong Aces will be great and Smash/MP/Poke are good games, but they should have had 10 first party games (non ports) for this year to keep the momentum.

2019 NEEDS to be bigger. 3rd party is going to be what it is. Some day and date ports, but none of the big AAA stuff (no RDR2, no COD, no BF, no EA games, no Assaisns creeds etc...) so Nintendo has to have 10 NEW games ready to go or they are going to fall into WiiU territory.

Great start with the switch but they are starting to lose it with the lack of software. Unlike MS/Sony they can't rely on big 3rd party games. So if Nintendo isn't going to blow it out with 1st party stuff they are letting their system die on the vine.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You can actually buy the physical copy of it.

Daaamn, looks like this DLC will be HUGE if they've decided to sell it on a cartridge. What a surprise. There's no word on US or EU versions though. Fingers crossed.

Basically 2018 didn't have enough software. I was willing to forgive the first half because I really thought the back half would be huge, but the rest of 2018 is pretty dry. Don't get me wrong Aces will be great and Smash/MP/Poke are good games, but they should have had 10 first party games (non ports) for this year to keep the momentum.
Yeah, not enough games to please everyone. Not even more Wii U ports :(

2019 NEEDS to be bigger. 3rd party is going to be what it is. Some day and date ports, but none of the big AAA stuff (no RDR2, no COD, no BF, no EA games, no Assaisns creeds etc...) so Nintendo has to have 10 NEW games ready to go or they are going to fall into WiiU territory.

Great start with the switch but they are starting to lose it with the lack of software. Unlike MS/Sony they can't rely on big 3rd party games. So if Nintendo isn't going to blow it out with 1st party stuff they are letting their system die on the vine.
Completely agree. 2019 MUST BE huge for Swtich. Also, i wonder if they think that Smash will sell a shit ton of Switches this holyday season.... cuz i don't think that this game is a system seller for the majority of Switch's install base plus you also need to pay for online to even play it and get the most out of it and this alone will turn off a lot of people i think.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I didn't feel it was lackluster at all, however, I do wish there were more updates on other (or new) games rather than 20-30 minutes of Smash. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Smash, but I wanna know more about Metroid, and others. Nintendo does do their directs semi-frequently, so I guess it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm just glad I have one now. :D

Solo Act

Define "barren". To me Barren implies nothing is being released period. The switch has a pretty decent line-up for the rest of the year.
Barren: without capacity to interest or attract (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/barren)

The narrow definition you provide suggests that the Nintendo Wii lineup is not barren because Just Dance 2019 is scheduled to launch for the system.

I think the discussion here is that because Nintendo has decided to walk down a path that most AAA third parties refuse to travel, their first party lineup needs to be better. There was an assumption that the Wii U died prematurely so that Nintendo could focus all of it's home and handheld game development efforts to avoid situations like 2018. Instead, we Switch owners are left with mostly indie 3rd party support in addition to limited first party support. I'm not sure how one compares Nintendo's 2018 first party output with the 4 main games Sony showed last night. Oh by the way, Sony also gets every third-party title while Nintendo only gets the ones that could port to an iPhone X. This complaining is done so out of comparison.

I have a Switch because I love Nintendo games more than any other publisher. But I also loved them on the Wii U, and the Switch library has felt lacking to me, and apparently many others, this year.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
I don't get people saying 'but they announce games through the year in directs'. Sony announce stuff at all kinds of shows like GamesCon, Paris Games Week, PSX, The Game Awards etc. What have Nintendo announced between today and last E3 that's not either some kind of port or party game... I don't understand why a huge publisher with so many studios, seems to produce so few games. It's not like the end of the Wii U had much either, so most of these studios have done nothing in years. I think we only complain because we know how great they can be when they get it right and we want more of that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This year I have Octopath and Xenoblade 2 DLC (bought last year). 2018 is very disappointing for the Switch. I was hoping E3 would have given us more.

No need to looks so glum Nintenbros. Indies kept Vita alive until the big games came in. Yes, that's what happened. No, you can't convince me otherwise.
I really would have liked an XCX port.

Michele

you.
Hey we don't know yet about the day two and three. I'm sure they will give something great.

Even if they don't, Nintendo will win.

Zannegan

After all the whining about ports, I'd personally love a few to pad out the release schedule. Wii U might be a little soon for those of us who already own them, but HD rereleases of Wii and GC games would be on point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Mario Tennis
Toad trackers
DragonBall fighters
Fortnite
Paladins
Dark Souls
Xenoblade DLC
Pokemon
Wolfenstein
Octopath
Smash Bros
Monster Hunter
The World ends with you
Banner Saga
Hollow Knight

and the rest of the eshop....

All excellent titles that I am excited to either play portable or for the first time.

NahaNago

They had quite a few games this year but I wish they had announced titles coming out next year. Like seriously, xbox and sony talked mostly about games that aren't even releasing this year so Nintendo could easily do the same. I don't think xbox even has any first party games even coming out for the rest of the year I think. Cd project red's game has no date and was announced 5 years ago with a cg trailer and folks have been psyched ever since. I honestly do think that Nintendo could show a cg trailer for games and folks would be good since Nintendo usually means quality.

Last edited:
They had quite a few games this year but I wish they had announced titles coming out next year. Like seriously, xbox and sony talked mostly about games that aren't even releasing this year so Nintendo could easily do the same.
Nintendo does that too, but only when it suits them. They were quick to announce lots of games coming in the future last year, with TBD release dates. They just didn't do so this year. They needed more time to detail SSBU. Every single detail imaginable.

B_Signal

All excellent titles that I am excited to either play portable or for the first time.
opposite for me, I was thinking they've accidentally highlighted the problem.

I was hoping we'd see something about Dragon Quest Switch coming this year, I don't want to get halfway through on PC or PS4 then wish I'd just got it on the Switch to play it handheld.

I was about to type that I'll definitely be picking up Smash, but I really don't want to pay Nintendo for the occasional online game, so if there's no decent single player content in there I don't think I'll bother

cryptoadam

Banned
Daaamn, looks like this DLC will be HUGE if they've decided to sell it on a cartridge. What a surprise. There's no word on US or EU versions though. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, not enough games to please everyone. Not even more Wii U ports :(

Completely agree. 2019 MUST BE huge for Swtich. Also, i wonder if they think that Smash will sell a shit ton of Switches this holyday season.... cuz i don't think that this game is a system seller for the majority of Switch's install base plus you also need to pay for online to even play it and get the most out of it and this alone will turn off a lot of people i think.

I think NINTENDO thought that Labo was going to be a bigger hit then it was and was going to carry them.

I also think that more of their titles got delayed in 2019.

And finally it wouldn't shock me if they had a Direct in a few months and announced another title or two, though I would say thats maybe 25% chance of happening.

NahaNago

Nintendo does that too, but only when it suits them. They were quick to announce lots of games coming in the future last year, with TBD release dates. They just didn't do so this year. They needed more time to detail SSBU. Every single detail imaginable.

The problem is that you really shouldn't be using E3 main conference video for such a thing. All of that info is great for your regular Nintendo fan but this is their chance to woo folks who aren't Nintendo hardcore. There is a reason why none of the other conferences spend 30 minutes promoting a fighting game. This game is only for the Nintendo hardcore but if they had added some popular disney, nicktoon, cartoon network characters I think it would have boosted interest even more for the casusal audience.

The problem is that you really shouldn't be using E3 main conference video for such a thing.
I agree. I was just making fun of their decision to spend 20+ mins on exploring Smash. That content would have been great to show in the Treehouse stream, or at the tournament, or even in a separate Direct. But this was too deep a dive for the more general presentation one would expect at E3.

Top Bottom