• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Neverending story] Most Telltale games removed from iOS App Store

Henrar

I don't expect them to perpetually support them, no. Nor do I expect free upgrades of PS3 games to work on PS4.

However you do expect PS3 launch titles to work on PS3 with way newer hardware. iPhone compatibility problems with apps are not hardware based. They are purely software-related.

I was just getting back into iOS gaming after having dropped out of it for a long time, but seeing all these high-profile games completely break after an OS update and subsequently vanish from the store and even from download lists - I think I'm not going to bother with investing any more money into iOS games. Having games I paid for plucked away from me without warning is not the kind of experience I want for myself.

And even if Telltale says they'll put the games back on the App Store once they've fixed the issue with iOS 9, the proof is the pudding. I've seen several instances where companies say they are working at fixing OS compatibility issues and then nothing happens.

Interfectum

Welcome to your digital only future.

GOG, Steam, Battle.net are my digital future. If you are buying games on mobile as a collector then you are doing it wrong. The App Store should be treated as buying disposable goods. Don't expect those apps to work forever or even beyond a couple years unless they are super popular.

I don't expect them to perpetually support them, no. Nor do I expect free upgrades of PS3 games to work on PS4.

What I do expect is a reasonable support timeframe. A few years at least. Capcom and 2K have failed that expectation.

Ghost Trick was released on iOS in 2010 in Japan and in 2012 in the rest of the world. Exactly how many years do you define as "a few"?

Tobor

Ghost Trick was released on iOS in 2010 in Japan and in 2012 in the rest of the world. Exactly how many years do you define as "a few"?

I didn't realize it was that old. I thought it was like Bioshock, which was released recently.

They still shouldn't have removed it from purchased lists. I agree Apple should stop that practice.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
50 million isn't good.

The combined handheld market this gen selling less than last gen's second place is terrible.

Times have changed....yes I agree. But the handheld market shouldn't die. If it does, expect more of this as time goes on.

mclem

I wonder how widespread the incompatability is/will become.

And even though it is shitty that a company pulls your purchase or if your purchase just become unplayable, I can also imagine it is financially not very feasible for a lot of devs (especially the smaller ones) to constantly update their games to suit whatever Apple is doing.

They really need to find a solution or have a clear set of rules, as I feel this can severely hamper the marketgrowth for non-free apps on the longer term (and harm the potential for more premium gaming experiences tailored to mobile/tablets with it).

It'd be a lot easier if iOS devices could run a VM for compatability purposes, but I've no idea how realistic that is; I'm an Android guy.

As an aside, one thing I'm very wary of: Has it removed your ability to download the games, or has it gone further and removed record of the purchase. Both are bad, but that latter one (i.e. not just disabled, but deleted) would be remarkably foolish - however, that's what 'removed from your purchase list' suggests to me.

Just saw "Telltale" and "Neverending Story" and for a second I got really excited

tumblr_m6q2d9dFhO1rza744o1_500.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned
Times have changed....yes I agree. But the handheld market shouldn't die. If it does, expect more of this as time goes on.

I'm not saying it should, it's just the way it is now, next gen is going to be a disaster for handhelds once they suffer even more decline.

It's amazing to me that these mobile OS get away without some sort of "compatability" mode that guarantees apps work with some deprecation (maybe not retina, etc) I understand that Apple wants the apps on the store to look good on its latest phones, but wiping out a huge batch of games every OS update is poor business practice.

For what it's worth, Telltale has been wishy washy about iOS development in general. When season 3 of Sam & Max came out, Telltale announced that they would bring the season to iOS, and spent a lot of time talking about how iPad would revolutionize their products and how intuitive everything was, et cetera. Since then? Nothing. Episode 1 came out and was then taken down. Episodes 2-5 have never seen the light of day. And Telltale has been mum about it all. It's been years.

For what it's worth, Telltale has been wishy washy about iOS development in general. When season 3 of Sam & Max came out, Telltale announced that they would bring the season to iOS, and spent a lot of time talking about how iPad would revolutionize their products and how intuitive everything was, et cetera. Since then? Nothing. Episode 1 came out and was then taken down. Episodes 2-5 have never seen the light of day. And Telltale has been mum about it all. It's been years.

That's too bad, considering Sam and Max season 3 is the pinnacle of Telltale.

Top Bottom