• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2TB and 512 GB Seagate Expansion Cards for Xbox Series X|S ($400 and $140 respectively) announced

MaulerX

I hope I wont get banned or anything.
But the PS5 SSD is clearly the better option, since its faster and you can use it on PC as well.

It depends on what you mean by better.

You can choose from multiple vendors on PS5 and choose the best price/performance that meets your needs. That's a plus but...

The small form factor and hot-swappable (plug-and-play without turning the system off) nature of Xbox's SSD means you can move it around much easier (to a friends/families house or within your own home if you have multiple systems). - - - Having to do this on a PS5 is one hell of a chore.

reksveks

You can choose from multiple vendors on PS5 and choose the best price/performance that meets your needs. That's a plus but...

The small form factor and hot-swappable (plug-and-play without turning the system off) nature of Xbox's SSD means you can move it around much easier (to a friends/families house or within your own home if you have multiple systems). - - - Having to do this on a PS5 is one hell of a chore.
Exactly I would definitely take a 512 and 256gb for the right price point, I love the memory card nature of it.

$50 for 500 GB
$95 for 1 TB
$225 for 2 TB

2.4 GB/s read.

Do any of these drives offer the same functionality the Xbox drives offer? Hot swappability and portability for 2. Price is clearly higher but let's not act like it's a 1 one 1 comparison with a standard NVME drive. You pay less and get less functionality. Makes sense.

Do any of these drives offer the same functionality the Xbox drives offer? Hot swappability and portability for 2. Price is clearly higher but let's not act like it's a 1 one 1 comparison with a standard NVME drive. You pay less and get less functionality. Makes sense.

You aren't paying nearly twice the amount because of portability

Last edited:
$400 for 4TB I wouldn't hesitate, but for 2TB it's a bit of an ask. We should've seen these prices coming with the new consoles I guess. The value is there when you consider how often it'll be used over the next 5 years.

Topher

Gold Member

The vast majority of people are going to install the drive and leave it. Being hot-swappable is going to be a convenience for a very small few.

Regardless, I'll always side with standard over proprietary.

Wooxsvan

You said it was like the vita, you needed to buy a mem card with every system. Xbox doesn’t have that issue.

I agree the prices are high, but unlike the vita not every user has to deal with it. Also unlike the vita these cards drop in price all the time, the 1tb was been $179 many times.
This thread is about Storage and Xbox's solutions is Objectively higher priced for less performance.

Three

Microsoft doesn't set the price
They set the price for the license which they get a cut of. They create no competition by designing a proprietary drive and anybody who wants to sell that drive has to go through MS and pay a cut making the drive more expensive than the non proprietary drive the same manufacturer sells. MS gain hardware discounts on the actual inbuilt drives too by entering into agreements with seagate. The high price is by design not Seagate gouging but MS deciding to collect money or make deals from drives by making it proprietary.

MaulerX

The vast majority of people are going to install the drive and leave it. Being hot-swappable is going to be a convenience for a very small few.

Regardless, I'll always side with standard over proprietary.

In 2013 Sony made a video on how easy it is to share games.

Now in 2021 it's MS that's making it easier to share games (I just hand my friend my SSD so he doesn't have to download all those games).

kyliethicc

Option A
Spend $440 on two 1 TB proprietary Xbox cards and hot swap them.

Option B
Spend $225 on a 2 TB M.2 SSD.

With option B, you certainly pay less. We agree on that.

MScarpa

I said it in the Sony thread and I'll say it again here. The cost of these memory expansions are ridiculous!

Riky

$MSFT

Exactly the form factor and ease of use make this a different concept, plus guaranteed to match the internal performance.
Just being to move your games between consoles in seconds and even take them to other people's consoles is a big plus for me.

Topher

Gold Member
In 2013 Sony made a video on how easy it is to share games.

Now in 2021 it's MS that's making it easier to share games (I just hand my friend my SSD so he doesn't have to download all those games).

That's fine, but what I said is still true. The vast majority are not going to remove the SSD from the console. It will serve as storage expansion and that is all. I don't see the need to embellish this feature as if it would justify the extra cost to most when it simply does not.

The reason the 2TB is so expensive is because of the form factor. I think it might actually be the first 2TB 2230 SSD on the market. 1TB 2230 drives usually go for around $300.

The reason it is so expensive is because it is a 2230 SSD with a proprietary controller stuck inside a CF Express housing and interface.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

who’s going to help you carry your VRR capable tv over if they don’t have one? :)

Oh come on. Riky Riky would never associate with such lowlifes.

John Krasinski GIF

reksveks

They set the price for the license which they get a cut of. They create no competition by designing a proprietary drive and anybody who wants to sell that drive has to go through MS and pay a cut making the drive more expensive than the non proprietary drive the same manufacturer sells. MS gain hardware discounts on the actual inbuilt drives too by entering into agreements with seagate. The high price is by design not Seagate gouging but MS deciding to collect money or make deals from drives by making it proprietary.

1) No one knows the cost of the license and how much of the final cost it represents

2) They created no competition when they made Seagate the exclusive providers of these drives not when they introduced a proprietary connector (see Apple and lightning). They like Apple definitely lessened competition.

3) The functions of a normal seagate isn't the same as the xbox seagate expansion drive, all cfexpress drives are more expensive than their non-cfexpress counterparts. Whether that premium is worth it is subjective and for 95% (imo) of the audience, it isn't.

My point is that Microsoft can't factually price gouge when they aren't setting the price, they can definitely set up a situation where prices are higher.

I hope I wont get banned or anything.
But the PS5 SSD is clearly the better option, since its faster and you can use it on PC as well.
The only issue here is price but the ease of swapping out the cards is better compared to what needs to be done to swap SSD's in the PS5.

I know a lot of people that don't want to expand the storage on their PS5 because they fear breaking something and than not being able to get a replacement console. Than you also have to worry about the heatsink nonsense.

You aren't paying nearly twice the amount because of portability
Price is the only knock against the drive. It still offers features other systems lack entirely.
Consoles exist due to convenience. Thus the more convenient memory option is the better one. And it’s why casual console owners are more likely to add memory to their Xbox than they ever will their PS5.
There is no question the Xbox storage solution is clearly the most console like. The biggest con is the price. It is nice not needing any tools to upgrade the storage and being able to take your games to your friends house.

Kacho

Gold Member
The only issue here is price but the ease of swapping out the cards is better compared to what needs to be done to swap SSD's in the PS5.
When the console refreshes come, being able to quickly swap the storage card from one device to another will be really nice. I'd hate to have to spend time taking about the old system to get the SSD out, only to turn around and do the same thing on the new one. What a pain in the ass.

Prices will come down over time, but it's definitely a tough sell atm.

Topher

Gold Member
Consoles exist due to convenience. Thus the more convenient memory option is the better one. And it’s why casual console owners are more likely to add memory to their Xbox than they ever will their PS5.

Better is subjective. I guess some folks would rather pay a bit more money rather than having to handle a screwdriver, but frankly, I seriously doubt that. Most casuals are not going to add storage to either.

ZywyPL

Banned
400$ is a lot, but then again, I wasn't sure we wil ever get a 2TB expansion card given it's a 2230 format, so just a single memory module. Will definitely get it somewhere next year.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This thread is about Storage and Xbox's solutions is Objectively higher priced for less performance.
The thread was announcing the 2tb/512gb version not comparing the system, warriors did that. Xbox solutions has features absent from the competitors.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Will other third parties eventually be able to make these things or is it fully exclusive to Seagate? We need some competition up in here!

Until then I'll just continue to swap games to my external 5TB mechanical drive when I don't plan on playing them anytime soon.

Neo_game

The only benefit of doubt one can say is that it is very dummy/stupid proof. Surely they are going to get rid of this feature in next console. Common sense should prevail unless they think their target audience have never seen a screwdriver in their life.

Draugoth

Gold Member
399$ for a 2TB SSD

Xbox knew what they were doing when they made these storage expansions the only way to upgrade

Three

1) No one knows the cost of the license and how much of the final cost it represents

2) They created no competition when they made Seagate the exclusive providers of these drives not when they introduced a proprietary connector (see Apple and lightning). They like Apple definitely lessened competition.

3) The functions of a normal seagate isn't the same as the xbox seagate expansion drive, all cfexpress drives are more expensive than their non-cfexpress counterparts. Whether that premium is worth it is subjective and for 95% (imo) of the audience, it isn't.

My point is that Microsoft can't factually price gouge when they aren't setting the price, they can definitely set up a situation where prices are higher.
1) So why do you assume the opposite if nobody knows the cut?

2) They can price gouge by setting the license cost which seagate has to cover. And why do you think they made seagate the exclusive provider? What benefit do they get from such an agreement? Better prices for the inbuilt one probably or they agreed together on how they will make money from it. The proprietary connector is the soul and primary reason for no competition. If it wasn't proprietary then there is no way for MS to dictate who can manufacture a drive for it.

3) are you trying to suggest that the proprietary drives are somehow more expensive to manufacture because of the connector? Because they are not and they use cheap 2.4Gb/s rated memory and controllers.

Last edited:

dem

These drives are absurdly expensive..
This was the worst move MS did with the Series console.

If they just let you stick a regular NVME drive... which is all the Series X has in the first place.. in you could get 1TB for like $120 CAD.

This shit is $280 in Canada.

Get fucked

Last edited:
Top Bottom