• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

If Mario's in Mexico this time around, will we see an appearance by Capitan Todd?
O7xgg7s.jpg

psyfi

Banned
Looks beautiful. I hope it's more linear like the Galaxy games, but I know yall open level design lovers need your sequel too. :) I'm sure I'll love it either way.

Kyle8497

Is there any indication we can change the camera? It seems like the chosen angle will be difficult for platforming.

I'm sure you'll be able to rotate the camera with the right thumb stick. I assume they put the camera at that angle when recording to show off the game's beauty.

MrBadger

From the camera angle, it looks like it's gonna be single player again. Slightly disappointed, but also excited because this opens up the level design possibilities. Definitely excited, and it being 3D Mario guarantees that it'll be amazing. Also noticing no item boxes, and what looked like a spinning heart? So we health bar now?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What are those gold rings? were they ever in a Mario game?

Afaik they were and they give coins.

It looks like a 3D World style linear Mario (actually, both scenes have a geometry that says "linear"), but with the full moveset of Mario 64, which is a fantastic combination.

amdb00mer

Looks like it's running under UE4 or UE3. Also, that one scene where Mario is walking into a town makes me think of Samba de Amigo and then we have Mario collecting, gold rings?!? Are they collaborating with Sega?

Malus

A Mario game with a nice hub and Galaxy or 3D World-esque focused level design is basically my perfect Mario game. The setting looks great too. It's also nice to have some elements of a distinct setting.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really hope this is the SM64 sequel I've been waiting for. A proper 3D Mario.

Intel_89

I was hoping for a single player mario game with a unique look, this looks a lot like what you'd expect from a 3D Mario game (Land/World). Kinda disapointed but the cactus people are keeping me hopeful, at least they're not Toads.

Kinsei

Banned
Looks really, really good. I'm getting some SMG style vibes from this.

What's up with all of the hearts? Is this the grand return of Subcon?

Anyone notice in the castle-like level the rotating heart (look towards the right of the gif)?

mario2axfq.gif

A return of the Spinning Heart from Mario 64?

180px-SpinningHeart64.jpg

No. Earlier on you can see three above an Umbrella. If it is the spinning heart then there wouldn't be three in a row like that.

Malus

Did you not play Mario 64? Exploration was what made it so damned good, and the reason it's still contested so crazy in the speed-running community.

Not the guy you quoted but I never cared much for 64. Also I'm not speedrunning anything so that doesn't make any difference to me lol.

linko9

I wonder if the whole game is Mexican-themed or if that's just one level. For whatever reason I'm feeling like the whole game might take place in that setting.

Malus

Getting Super Mario 64 vibes.

It'd be interesting to see Tokyo EPD's take on that style of game. The design of the sand level looks a lot more busy than something I'd expect out of 64 or Sunshine, which is more than fine by me, but it's only a glimpse of 1 level.

Super Mario 64 2? I had some very fond memories of that game. Young Dark_3nergy would
almost draw blood
to get the N64 into their hands. The hype engine was pretty strong when you're a rowdy 11 year old.

Go get your slider trousers Mario 64 gaf fans. We're sliding down this mountain for the next 6 months.

Wiz

I like what I'm seeing so far. The style looks vibrant and unique. Need to see more but I get more 64/Sunshine vibes than Galaxy/3D World

Aldric

l'm satisfied. lt already has a thousand times more personality than 3D World (a sense of place and NPCs in a 3D Mario??? What is this tomfoolery), the triple jump is back and apparently there's no run button. l'm excited to see more.

takriel

If this is actually the spiritual successor to Mario 64 I don't even know what I'm gonna do. Looks really, really good! First 3D Mario since 64 I'm actually excited about! Holy shit!

sanstesy

Remember how the first Super Mario Galaxy was revealed? The same way as this just in the Wii reveal trailer.

Super Mario Galaxy 3 cofirmed!

Neiteio

I'm just slightly concerned about how they don't show Mario running left or right. But there are items to the right and left (gold rings on one side, hearts on the other), so presumably this hasn't devolved into an auto-runner or whatever.

Top Bottom