• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

I hope were going back to big open levels with multiple objectives, thats what it seems like at a glance at least. really enough cant be said about how beautiful this game looks. It would be coold if there wasn just a level based on mexican culture, but levels based on several different locations and cultures.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Wii U or burn

jacksrb

Probably a lot of pages behind, but I think this has hints at a more Mario64 style game with the floating heart container and camera angle much closer to behind Mario than 3D World.

Looks beautiful, of course.

deleted

Or being able to jump on the umbrella to land on those rooftops

Sure, that's what it does, but you normally don't implement a hud element on the edge of your screen of seconds long footage, so it most likely not pre-rendered but a recorded demo.

Love the look of the Glass-Mountains.

The running looks like he will be able to fly too and the rings implicate a new mechanic. How would he get through there? They'd be arched for a long jump. And for flying I'd guess that the edges are a bit too close together to really be able to fly through there...

Looks really, really good. I'm getting some SMG style vibes from this.

What's up with all of the hearts? Is this the grand return of Subcon?

No. Earlier on you can see three above an Umbrella. If it is the spinning heart then there wouldn't be three in a row like that.

Those just looked like objective markers to me above the umbrealla, not hearts

I wonder how you're supposed to get through those rings, looks like you'll fall to your death.

The desert city looked weird for a Mario game like there's a rpg city in the game.

Aldric

Probably a lot of pages behind, but I think this has hints at a more Mario64 style game with the floating heart container and camera angle much closer to behind Mario than 3D World.

Looks beautiful, of course.

l have no clue how anyone can look at that footage and conclude it looks like a 3D World style linear obstacle course. From the little we saw it looks far more like a Sunshine level, like the entrance to Bianco Hills for example.

Gartooth

I know we only saw 10 seconds but the gameplay we saw looked pretty linear which concerns me. I hope they move away from the A to B obstacle courses and back more to the large areas of 64 and Sunshine.

Aside from that I did like the Day of the Dead level. Game still looks early as hell though. I doubt it makes launch.

new_Mario_Game.gif

Did some image stabilization and cropping to get a better idea of what it'll look like.

Gleethor

Literally the first thing you see is Mario triple jumping. I think that says a lot about what their intentions for this game are vs 3D World.

orioto

Good Art™
So tell me guys, why does this look better than 3D World already ? Cause to me it's the exact same engine it seems.

I guess having a cam behind Mario makes things look better ..

spliced

Looks like a 3D World sequel although the town reminds me of Sunshine with the buildings, the town folk and the telephone wires.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We're getting an open-world Mario, aren't we?

Kurt

Also the first town part looks like it's sunny & frozen at the same time?
Then you have the transparant mountains.
There will be a new kind unique thing in it, but what we don't know :)

(you can see the same FOG around the mountains as in the first clip the fountain)

I'm just glad there's an actual world to explore, instead of blocks floating in the middle of space. That's why my favorite 3D Mario games were 64 and Sunshine.

sanstesy

A long long time ago, in a far away galaxy, Nintendo was actually building new mario from scratch with entire new look for each generation

They never, ever did engines from scratch. Especially true for the mainline EAD household games like Zelda, Mario and so on.

Not that it changes anything on how the game looks or will play, as seen with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess being based on the same engine.

skypunch

Banned
So tell me guys, why does this look better than 3D World already ? Cause to me it's the exact same engine it seems.

Yeah, it doesn't look any better. It could be a good game still, but lately Nintendo's games all look very homogenised. They all have the same colour palettes and a smooth and clean Disney-ish sort of look.

Looks like 64. Which Ive been wanting since 64...

Yet another 3D level based game?
As opposed too?

Drive by troll confirmed.
I think the idea is that it seems to be more Galaxy/3D World than 64, which I agree with. Not that that's a bad thing.

"Streamlined" as opposed to "exploration"

Aldric

Because you visit a town, with buildings you immediately want to scale to see what might be hidden on top of them, actual landmarks and goofy NPCs, because the Mexican theme is more original than just the usual generic desert you expect to find in your Mario game and because the level design actually seems to encourage exploration and messing around instead of just jumping from one featureless cube floating in the void to another.

Because you visit a town, with buildings you immediately want to scale to see what might be hidden on top of them, actual landmarks and goofy NPCs, because the Mexican theme is more original than just the usual generic desert you expect to find in your Mario game and because the level design actually seems to encourage exploration and messing around instead of just jumping from one featureless cube floating in the void to another.
One of the two shots is jumping from one blocky platform to another.

Looks fucking great. Loved 3D World, but I'm also down for a new, more open Mario game too with unique settings and locales. Mexico level looks cool, I'm guessing it's the hub?

orioto

Good Art™

Except the platforming we see in the vid could be from 3d world except for the pov. Hey i love 3D world i have nothing against that.

I'm just worried Nintendo repeats some of its mistakes here (letting people thing it's more of the same)

The hub world implies a more open experience ala 64 and Sunshine, and both shots make it look like the game is more open that 3D World even if the 2nd section seems more linear. 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy all had linear sections to them, and the 2nd point doesn't even look like the same type of linear as 3D Land/World with a fixed camera and stuff.

I'm guessing this is going to be a middle ground between 3D World and 64/Sunshine. An exploration hub with 10+ WORLDS in addition to secret levels and stuff that are more linear. No problem with that.

Top Bottom