• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS colors - First available in Taiwan/Hong Kong

enishi

Nintendo Taiwan and Nintendo Hong Kong announced 3DS and 3DSXL official products available on 28th Sept.

We will have white, and blue 3DSXL like other regions do.

But there are new colors (Cerulean blue and Shimmer pink) for 3DS.
3ds_release_10.jpg

System will be in Traditional Chinese, seems like region-lock on its own...

gogogow

Unless Nintendo and third party publishers starts to localize all games, people in HK and TW seriously has nothing to play, if it isn't the same region as Japan.

sakipon

Unless Nintendo and third party publishers starts to localize all games, people in HK and TW seriously has nothing to play, if it isn't the same region as Japan.
What about the Korean 3DS release? Which region were those again? I assume system language was still Korean?

enishi

More separate game cart regions is exactly what we need...

Atleast the colors look really nice actually.

No policy issue like Korea forces them to sell TC-only system (e.g. Wii was basically Japan version sans Wii Shop...)

For the entire Wii lifetime, they only sold 9 Wii titles in TC. Although they announced 5 TC games on launch period (SM3DL, MK7, Nintendogs+cats, Zelda OoT 3D, BioHazard:R), I am afraid that we will see less than 20 titles for coming 5 years...

I will stick to my Japan 3DS (or LL some times later) if region-lock really works like this

Platy

Pink is awesome.

Also awesome is the fact that they used the pokemon color to the blue =3

Me ?
Still waiting for the "e3 purple"

gogogow

What about the Korean 3DS release? Which region were those again? I assume system language was still Korean?
I have no idea, but if the Korean version and SE Asian version has it's own region lock then yeah, people there would rather buy a Japanese or US version. Or Nintendo should just make it region free! :D

No policy issue like Korea forces them to sell TC-only system (e.g. Wii was basically Japan version sans Wii Shop...)

For the entire Wii lifetime, they only sold 9 Wii titles in TC. Although they announced 5 TC games on launch period (SM3DL, MK7, Nintendogs+cats, Zelda OoT 3D, BioHazard:R), I am afraid that we will see less than 20 titles for coming 5 years...

I will stick to my Japan 3DS (or LL some times later) if region-lock really works like this
Nintendo did a great job in HK promoting Wii Fit and Wii Sport Resort. They had it promoting in malls and stuff where loads of families go and there were a lot of positive response. But yeah, Nintendo can't and won't keep up with TC releases. This version is bound to be doomed if it's region locked.

squall23

HK sells Japanese region games, so either:

1. HKers aren't stupid enough to buy these due to region lock.
2. These 3DSs aren't region locked.

cvxfreak

A Chinese version of Biohazard Revelations... I don't believe the series has ever been localized into Chinese before outside of mobile releases?

By the way, I visited HK last month and got a few StreetPasses there... but they were all for Japanese 3DS systems with random prefectures set (first time I ever got Yamaguchi Prefecture) to their regions. Would have been awesome to get some actual HK StreetPasses.

gogogow

Only 6 games released in Korea for first 3 months
http://www.nintendo.co.kr/3DS/software/list_2012.php

And I think ppl in TW and HK know Japanese better than Korean because of Kanji and some historical reasons.

Unless they studied the language, I doubt it. People in HK buys weekly magazines with walkthroughs to play Japanese games. Some Kanji has the same meaning, not all, and since Japanese doesn't only consists of Kanji, it's really hard to understand (read: impossible) it by only reading the Chinese characters.

I have bought Korean games in HK, they are cheaper, but they also had English (because it was a PS3 game from EA).

enishi

A Chinese version of Biohazard Revelations... I don't believe the series has ever been localized into Chinese before outside of mobile releases?

By the way, I visited HK last month and got a few StreetPasses there... but they were all for Japanese 3DS systems with random prefectures set (first time I ever got Yamaguchi Prefecture) to their regions. Would have been awesome to get some actual HK StreetPasses.

I can only remember Chinese version for BH 1-4 on PC.
0000010977.JPG

Unless they studied the language, I doubt it. People in HK buys weekly magazines with walkthroughs to play Japanese games. Some Kanji has the same meaning, not all, and since Japanese doesn't only consists of Kanji, it's really hard to understand (read: impossible) it by only reading the Chinese characters.

I have bought Korean games in HK, they are cheaper, but they also had English (because it was a PS3 game from EA).

I understand the difference (as a failed N4 student). But people would still prefer Japanese version than Korean one unless it has English subtitle (like most of PS3 games do). I think Nintendo Korean games are Korean only, like their Wii games.

gogogow

I understand the difference (as a failed N4 student). But people would still prefer Japanese version than Korean one unless it has English subtitle (like most of PS3 games do). I think Nintendo Korean games are Korean only, like their Wii games.

True, but it's not like they have a choice. The majority of the games/consoles sold in HK are the Japanese and/or US versions (and some EU versions for the PS3)

hwy_61

Banned
Midnight Purple is the only color I ever needed.

Honestly, I really wish they put out an indigo one ala GC.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nothing will ever touch the godly purple model, but the blue is nice. Why they launched with the hideous Aqua colour, I don't know.

Jackano

So that's HK and TW but I'm surprised, they didn't use the iQue brand like in China there!?

Edit: Dat launch line-up too ^^ Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Resident Evil & Nintendogs. That's cheating anyway but still ^^

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
any HK gaffer?
I usually go to HK a couple of times every year, for Toy Fairs. Usually I purchase a lot of PS3 games, regione free and very cheap.
I usually skip any Nintendo title because of region locking, but I would like to know if there are Japan 3DS consoles and Japan 3ds games and if someone could share info about prices...

enishi

any HK gaffer?
I usually go to HK a couple of times every year, for Toy Fairs. Usually I purchase a lot of PS3 games, regione free and very cheap.
I usually skip any Nintendo title because of region locking, but I would like to know if there are Japan 3DS consoles and Japan 3ds games and if someone could share info about prices...

Since all 3DS consoles and games are parallel imported right now, the price varies along with Yen exchange rate.

You can get a Japan console at around HK$1300 now (sorry that I don't know where you from, please convert it to your currency).

New games usually sell at an exchange rate of 0.08, e.g. Etrian Odyssey 4 is selling around $500. You may also find some bargain in particular shops, e.g. Sangoku Musou VS around $320 when I walked around Mongkok last weekend.

Top Bottom