new 4" DSi model to be released within this year in Japan

neo2046

Member
Jun 8, 2004
4,797
0
0
source: today's Nikkei morning post
http://blog.livedoor.jp/jim115/archives/51286284.html

according to the article
it seems basically the spec and the function of the new model remain the same,
just the screen become bigger
The retaiil price is the same, 18900 yen
The new 4" DSi model will be released within this year in Japan, places outside Japan are still under discussion
 

v0yce

Member
Nov 20, 2006
3,384
10
1,000
Arkansas
I don't think I'd want to see DS games (especially DS 3D games) any bigger. That could get pretty ugly. Am I missing something? How much can I expect the image quality to suffer?
 

Xeke

Banned
Sep 8, 2006
14,299
0
0
31
v0yce said:
I don't think I'd want to see DS games (especially DS 3D games) any bigger. That could get pretty ugly. Am I missing something?
DSi 3D games will look somewhat better with more resources, DSi only games will probably start appearing at 4" naturally and 3.25" reduced on the original model.
 

Neomoto

Member
May 27, 2006
2,272
0
0
I kind of remember reading about this somewhere.. wasn't this a version made for "older people" so they can use a bigger screen with things like Brain Training and whatnot? Maybe I'm just imagining things.
 

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jun 6, 2004
74,323
3
0
Inferno313 said:
Wat??
Pics?
Links?
Articles?
Anything?!?

OP fails hard.
Don't worry, n4g will link to this thread soon enough. Then I can give you a link that links to this thread.
 

Caaz

Member
Apr 4, 2006
251
0
0
Even bigger pixels, yeah. 4 inches is huge, and at the DS' resolution, games are going to be really, really ugly if true.
 

Subliminal

Member
May 9, 2009
3,381
0
820
Also,

Has Nintendo Really run out of ideas?

Releasing a slightly bigger screen is just.. Uninspired.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
0
0
A Twisty Fluken said:
OG DS is 3"
DSi is 3.25"
The larger screen size is barely noticeable. I can go back to a regular DS and not really see the difference in screen size. 4" is a big increase in comparison, though.
 

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sep 9, 2006
27,410
1
0
donny2112 said:
The larger screen size is barely noticeable. I can go back to a regular DS and not really see the difference in screen size. 4" is a big increase in comparison, though.
I thought the difference between DS Lite and DSi was kinda big.
 
Nov 24, 2008
483
0
0
Xeke said:
DSi 3D games will look somewhat better with more resources, DSi only games will probably start appearing at 4" naturally and 3.25" reduced on the original model.
There is no indication that they are changing the resolution, so there is no way for the DSi to make games "appear" at 4". DSi only games might get slightly better textures and stuff, possibly better anti-aliasing, but you shouldn't assume that its getting a resolution bump.
 

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Jun 10, 2004
9,920
0
0
oh boy now you can all get your hopes up AGAIN about brand new features it won't have because won't be a real DS 2! it's like christmas for bitches!
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Subliminal42 said:
Has Nintendo Really run out of ideas?
Yes.

This has been yet another installment of "Simple Answers to Simple Questions."

jooey said:
oh boy now you can all get your hopes up AGAIN about brand new features it won't have because won't be a real DS 2! it's like christmas for bitches!
Won't have any new games, either.
 

Cosmonaut X

Member
Jun 5, 2006
9,603
0
0
Scotland
Subliminal42 said:
Also,

Has Nintendo Really run out of ideas?

Releasing a slightly bigger screen is just.. Uninspired.
What would you rather - a relatively minor spec change or another major revision hot on the heels of the DSi?
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
If all other specs asides from the screen are the same, you're just getting a much poorer picture quality. Larger pixels = BLEH.
 

MGrant

Member
May 6, 2006
4,669
0
0
Shit, at this rate I'll never upgrade from my DS Fat. Slow down the revisions for a couple of quarters, Nintendo.
 
Jun 6, 2004
68,829
0
1,570
maybe they'll add more flash memory and mp3 playback


oh wait, this is nintendo

anyway, looks like i'll wait a little longer to get a DSi
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
It's kinda odd that Nintendo would think the DSi would actually benefit customers by having a larger screen. The screen size right now is fine, and fits the hardware capabilities fine. I'm not exactly sure what the rational is for making a bigger portable with the same specs, when the usual route is to make them smaller while maintaining the same amount of power, or offering a higher spec.
 
duckroll said:
It's kinda odd that Nintendo would think the DSi would actually benefit customers by having a larger screen. The screen size right now is fine, and fits the hardware capabilities fine. I'm not exactly sure what the rational is for making a bigger portable with the same specs, when the usual route is to make them smaller while maintaining the same amount of power, or offering a higher spec.
Maybe they're trying to expand into the poor vision market.
 
Oct 17, 2005
35,485
0
0
41
I am so ready for a new generation of handhelds. Enough tinkering with the existing hardware, give me a new system with better graphics.
 

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Jun 10, 2004
9,920
0
0
True, hasn't the large screen rumor been around for a few years now? rationalized as an attempt to appeal to old folks?
 

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May 21, 2006
17,232
3
0
SMH at haters, first u hate on GB Micro, now Nintendo does the exact oposite and u hate that too!!!
 

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jun 6, 2004
74,323
3
0
I'm guessing the supplier for these screens just produced bigger screens and offering at same cost to Nintendo, so there's no price difference or any new features in this 'new' models.