• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 4K-Capable PS4 And Xbox One Consoles Coming This Year, Predicts Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpcrawler

How much ram is needed for a 4K framebuffer?

Also, what Internet speed is required for 4K content because my 50MBPS connection sometimes lags when watching 1080p Netflix/Crunchyroll vids (that could also be their servers though).

You ISP is throttling you/Netflix, when I watched Netflix at 4K it averaged 35Mbps in House of Cards, 1080p maxes out at around 20Mbps (Blu-Ray quality). Then again I have business tier 1Gbps fiber.

Red

How much ram is needed for a 4K framebuffer?

Also, what Internet speed is required for 4K content because my 50MBPS connection sometimes lags when watching 1080p Netflix/Crunchyroll vids (that could also be their servers though).
I think about 15Mbps is recommended.

Google tells me Netflix requires 20Mbps for 4K streaming.

Danneee

Netflix sslim library of 4k material isn't really worth releasing a console revision for. I call bullshit on this.

Plus, the quality of their 4k stuff isn't very good. HBO HD material looks miles better on my 4k set.

I thought both systems could do 4k video. Perhaps he means the full HDMI 2.0 spec.
Both systems are 1.4 which includes 4k at 30fps.

mocoworm

Netflix sslim library of 4k material isn't really worth releasing a console revision for. I call bullshit on this.

Plus, the quality of their 4k stuff isn't very good. HBO HD material looks miles better on my 4k set.

Currently it is slim, but between Netflix and Amazon, 4k will take off in the next few years.

The GPU and CPU are more than capable of outputting 4k video and sound content. I would imagine this being a software revision of some sort. Unless the HDMI adapter isn't the correct spec (v 1.3b?).

edit: ram is not an issue either.

mocoworm

He is not, you are!

How so? Can I play 4K content on my consoles now? He said he thought they could already do this, I said he was mistaken.

Please expand on your post.

Forbes said:
I’ve approached both Sony and Microsoft for comment, but both have declined to confirm any such hardware adjustments – hardly surprising given that neither console maker will be keen on potentially disrupting sales of current hardware by talking of potential future iterations. For the record, Microsoft’s exact words were “We remain committed to bringing leading entertainment features and services to the living room. Beyond that, we have nothing to share at this time”, while Sony said “Support for high-resolution 4K output for still images and movie content is in consideration, but there are no further details to share at this time”.

Derpcrawler

He is not, you are!

He is right, you are wrong. Check your facts. Considering that none of consoles can even output 4K, where you guys get your bullshit from?

Now, if this is hardware or software issue, is completely different matter. But doesn't change the fact that both consoles currently unable to provide any 4K capability at all.

R_Deckard

How so? Can I play 4K content on my consoles now?

You cannot but in your OP you state new hardware is needed, it is not only as fimrware update and Current format could even support it hypothetically.

He is right, you are wrong. Check your facts. Considering that none of consoles can even output 4K, where you guys get your bullshit from?

Now, if this is hardware or software issue, is completely different matter. But doesn't change the fact that both consoles currently unable to provide any 4K capability at all.

Both machines can output 4k/30 for images and Movies this is not a game conversation so keep you warrior talk elsewhere and check your facts.

thelastword

Banned
Netflix is in the process of pushing better quality video and content, they recommend 25Mbps down for 4k quality streaming.

mocoworm

You cannot but in your OP you state new hardware is needed, it is not only as fimrware update and Current format could even support it hypothetically.

Both machines can output 4k/30 for images and Movies this is not a game conversation so keep you warrior talk elsewhere and check your facts.

No they can't... and you are seriously telling him to check his facts? Those options are not currently enabled on either console by SONY or MS.

Occam

So this article by a random Forbes Contributor is BS because the current hardware already supports 4k output for video, meaning new hardware won't be required.

I really wish Forbes Contributor articles were banned here, nothing good ever comes of it.

Derpcrawler

"Can in theory" doesn't equate "can now", again, they are currently incapable to output any 4K signal, video, UI or games. Believe me I tried, 1080p is the cap. They don't recognize 4K as valid option in settings, but of course keep calling others "warriors", you already posted similar bullshit and made up facts in Dying Light thread if I remember correctly, speaking about agenda...

Wag

I coulda sworn I heard about an indie game on PS4 that allowed 4k output. Might be wrong.

It was Fez, and gaming isn't the issue. As I said earlier, the fact that both devices don't support HDCP 2.2 is (at least for 4k video streaming).

mocoworm

This is what Forbes say:

In short, it’s hard not to share Netflix’s apparent view that the current PS4s and Xbox Ones need hardware rather than software upgrades to handle serious 4K streaming.

So what hardware changes might we expect to see from the predicted new consoles? First and foremost a chip for decoding the HEVC 4K UHD streaming format employed by both Netflix and Amazon. But it would also be hugely sensible for both consoles to upgrade their HDMI ports from 1.4 versions (which can only carry 4K at 30fps) to 2.0 versions which can take 4K at 60fps.

You can deliver 4K video and high-resolution sound via the latest generation of USB ports; this is the way Samsung’s UHD movie server connects to its current TVs, in fact. But people now expect HDMI to be their main TV connection, and there’s no particularly massive cost implication with using HDMI 2.0 ports over 1.4 versions these days.

If Netflix is proved right about the new console iterations, a big question for Sony and Microsoft will be how they manage the potential backlash from the tens of millions of people who already own ‘original’ PS4s and Xbox Ones. One solution could be to launch an external peripheral – though while this could deliver the HEVC decoding, it’s hard to see how it could overcome the current HDMI limitation.

R_Deckard

No they can't... and you are seriously telling him to check his facts? Those options are not currently enabled on either console by SONY or MS.

Your post states and eludes to new hardware is needed for this and it is simply not the case, why is this hard for you to grasp?

R_Deckard

"Can in theory" doesn't equate "can now", again, they are currently incapable to output any 4K signal, video, UI or games. Believe me I tried, 1080p is the cap. They don't recognize 4K as valid option in settings, but of course keep calling others "warriors", you already posted similar bullshit and made up facts in Dying Light thread if I remember correctly, speaking about agenda...

What..the?? You came at my comment with such aggression and now I have an agenda on 4k movies..please explain?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
The GPU and CPU are more than capable of outputting 4k video and sound content. I would imagine this being a software revision of some sort. Unless the HDMI adapter isn't the correct spec (v 1.3b?).

This is correct. the HDMI adapter is the only possible weak link for run of the mill 4K@30FPS

Now Netflix did mention High Dynamic Range (HDR) which gives a significantly better image (color-wise), but requires more bandwidth. Maybe they meant that current PS4/X1 hardware is not capable of 4K HDR.

A chip to decode HEVC would be nice to save power but is absolutely not needed.

here is more detail about Netflix and HDR:

http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-hdr-streaming-hands-on-2015-1

R_Deckard

This is what Forbes say:

And the facts are right there in the quote

their HDMI ports from 1.4 versions (which can only carry 4K at 30fps)

Needing more than that for movies is not required, they can both support it without the need for new hardware that was mine and others points, still perplexed how it got so heated.

Elios83

Sony said that the current PS4 can handle pictures and movies at 4K.
It has the processing capabilities and the HDMI version in it should support it already.
Hence it's a matter of a software update.

If it's going to be compressed to hell who cares?
Just as someone mentioned earlier, streaming 1080p content and watching local 1080p content is a huge difference.

We might see fully fledged 4K revisions Christmas 2015 for the arrival of Ultra HD Blu-ray, but new hardware just for Netflix seems unlikely. And unnecessary.

Anyway, a fair number of UHDTVs seem to have a 4K Nexflix app on board anyway, at least here in UK, so waiting in your console to catch up might not be a big issue anyway.

Derpcrawler

What..the?? You came at my comment with such aggression and now I have an agenda on 4k movies..please explain?

How can I explain why you have agenda for certain brand of consumer electronics. You called me warrior and said me and others were wrong, when in fact we were right with facts on our side, both consoles currently are incapable of 4K output. It's clear from your posts in threads that question this said brand, but how would I know your reasons for this behavior?

As I said, I have both 4K TV and 4K monitor, both consoles can't output 4K. I don't know if it's software issue or hardware, according to Netflix comments in article it might be hardware issue. I don't give rats ass either way, since my TV have Android on it so I don't need extra equipment to feed it 4K video content.

NekoFever

You ISP is throttling you/Netflix, when I watched Netflix at 4K it averaged 35Mbps in House of Cards, 1080p maxes out at around 20Mbps (Blu-Ray quality). Then again I have business tier 1Gbps fiber.

Blu-ray maxes out at 40Mbps for video, plus 8Mbps for audio.

AmyS

So PS4 Slim would likely have HDMI 2.0 and 4K Blu ray support right?

Then PS5 for 4K games in 2019-2020 with the CPU / GPU / APU processing power and resources to handle it.

Knowing Sony, they'd probably aim PS5 to handle true 4K resolution which is 4096 x 2160p rather than 3840 x 2160p which almost every "4K" Ultra HD TV / monitor is.

Microsoft would probably be happen with an Xbox Two that does 3840 x 2160p.

mocoworm

And the facts are right there in the quote

Needing more than that for movies is not required, they can both support it without the need for new hardware that was mine and others points, still perplexed how it got so heated.

I am not heated with you. Just having the discussion, that's all.

You started this by saying I was mistaken by telling FX-GMC that his consoles currently could not play 4K content... when I wasn't mistaken at all. Currently, they can't.

If it's a firmware update then great, that's the best option for me. I own a PS4 and an XONE and future-proof consoles would be amazing.

Wag

1.4 does 4k already just with a 30fps cap. Also, when did they jump to 2.2?

HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are two different things. HDMI is the video output, HDCP is content protection. HDCP 2.2 in hardware is what Netflix and Amazon requires for 4k streaming. Neither the PS4 or the XBone support HDCP 2.2.

HDCP 2.2 has been around for about 1 1/2yrs.

R_Deckard

I am not heated with you. Just having the discussion, that's all.

You started this by saying I was mistaken by telling FX-GMC that his consoles currently could not play 4K content... when I wasn't mistaken at all. Currently, they can't.

If it's a firmware update then that's the best option for me. I own a PS4 and an XONE and future proof consoles would be amazing.

My post was fast so if that came across badly I apologise, The title reads New 4k capable hardware and both consoles can support this already with a possible software update needed that is all for this. HDR 4K would most likely need new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom