• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 4K-Capable PS4 And Xbox One Consoles Coming This Year, Predicts Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The iq of 1080p streaming is really bad compared to BluRays. The video on demand services are compressing their stuff way too much. So I dont think 4k streaming will be worth it

Cathcart

Yes it is. Navigating Netflix on a TV is slow and a poor experience. It's not an optimum way to do it at all.

I guess it depends on the TV. I haven't had any problems with my LG. But anyway I was specifically responding to the point about sending sound back to the receiver, I wasn't talking about the OS.

Hopeffully 4k gaming too.
Dude we barely get 1080p at a decent framerate with this hardware.

Purexed

Banned
Yes it is. Navigating Netflix on a TV is slow and a poor experience. It's not an optimum way to do it at all.

Not on my 70" Vizio M Series 4K television. The app is smooth, quick, and pumps out a fantastic picture in 4K. Can't wait to see what 4K off physical media will look like though. That'll sure be something else to see.

LowSignal

Not on my 70" Vizio M Series 4K television. The app is smooth, quick, and pumps out a fantastic picture in 4K. Can't wait to see what 4K off physical media will look like though. That'll sure be something else to see.

Me too! just picked it up after returning a Sony that had bad a flashlighting effect in the corners. Daredevil in 4k was crazy

system11

The iq of 1080p streaming is really bad compared to BluRays. The video on demand services are compressing their stuff way too much. So I dont think 4k streaming will be worth it

Bingo.

Many home connections can't reliably stream 1080P pictures at a good bitrate already, 4k is a complete waste of time. There's no workable delivery mechanism that isn't compressed to the point where a 1080 BR is nicer to look at anyway.

Methos#1975

It's dreamy on LGs using the magic remote, just point and click. Now if only Netflix actually had more worth watching in 4k.

Maggots

Banned
Pretty sure no new hardware will be needed ... but firmware update is needed to bring this feature.

4k is possible over the existing HDMI port... like I said... just update it.

bare minimum you would get netflix 4K playback, and possibly 4k bluray support? maybe photos can be viewed.

MAX you get both those and an updated menu output...

Games will not be 4K this generation. (Unless they port something as simple as pong haha)

Shin-Ra

PS4 supports 2160p30 output now through the PlayMemories photo/video app. There's no PDM option yet, the app just forces the Ultra HD resolution when enabled in its own options menu. Switching between PlayMemories in 2160p30 and the PDM in 1080p60 is very quick but depending on the responsiveness of the display you use, YMMV.

Hopefully system-wide support comes so at the very least we can get PS2 remasters like Okami HD outputting native 2160p30!

If the HDMI chipset in current or future PS4 models are capable, I think we'd see beautiful 2160p60 content. Games that were 1080p60 on PS3, why wouldn't they, and better (higher res textures) be possible at 2160p60 on PS4?

Wag

I have a 4k TV with 4k Netflix now. I'm not so impressed with it. There's so few 4k content, I just watched Daredevil in 4k and cancelled it. I went back to normal Netflix.

Proof the XB1 has HEVC codecs (Xtensa IVP processors see OP). Encoding HEVC is much harder than decoding which makes the images on the right amazing. HEVC for Skype and game streaming means the Xtensa IVP in Kaveri can encode as well as decode and older AMD APUs and all Intel CPU/GPU combinations using a combination of older Xtensa processor and GPU shaders can do the same. It does mean that older AMD APUs & Intel can't game stream to the XB1 as the shaders are being used for the game. This explains the XB1 to PC but not PC to XB1 being mentioned.

(from Arnold Beckenbauer and Pada on Beyond 3d) . onQ123 posted on the Xtensa processors there but no-one read the links and Grail jumped on him without reading the links or thinking about what has to be supported in a Game console for Media.

Slide%2038%20-%20Win%2010%20Acceleration.png

CGl7TEqUIAITgCS.png

What this means is the XB1 is designed to support HEVC 4K streaming including two way for Skype and only the HDMI 2.0 port with HDCP 2.2 (see bottom two slides) is yet to be proved for 4K blu-ray support (the blu-ray drive is a non-issue as older drives can support the Panasonic tweak and can read 3 layers).

For the PS4 there is no proof but the same hardware AMD uses in Kaveri is in the XB1 and likely the PS4's Southbridge. The PS4 has a custom HDMI chip that likely allows the Southbridge to do the HDCP 2.2 which just requires the custom HDMI chip have a faster clock and to pass through the HDMI transpitter-receiver DRM negotiation to the PS4 southbridge.

The slides referring to Windows 10 are about Windows 10 supporting HEVC and Windows 10 having Playready 3.0 support for 4K media which requires hardware DRM like AMD's Trustzone processor managing the Xtensa stream processor. Last year a quote caught my eye in that Microsoft is AMD's Trustzone partner which makes the slide I posted a Duhhhh.

Again from BY3D showing Microsoft wanted HEVC for Skype support (two way encode -decode).

CGsA2bsVIAA4gY3.png:large

It's an add-on circuit = Xtensa DPU on the ARM buss as seen in the following breakdown. The Two Xtensa processors for decode/encode are labeled h.264 multi-stream codecs which is confusing everyone. They are software programmable accelerators and can support any current codec or compression scheme (See the XB1 DLNA file types supported). Everything tinted green below is on the ARM buss and is Cadense IP including the HDMI port which can support HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2 via the Trustzone processor controlled Xtensa processors. There is a Pay view article for the XB1 stating that the blocks in green are all Cadense IP.

Xbox-One-GPU-Architecture.png

Cadense IP below in Grey and Xtensa stream processor in RED. Notice DP/HDMI port at bottom is the same description as DP/HDMI in green above.

diagram-tensilica-ip-n.gif

It's pretty much a lock that both the XB1 and PS4 will be 4K blu-ray players with a firmware update this October.

If this is true I will delay my purchase of an xbox one until the new edition comes out. However didnt Xbox One have crushed blacks while using Netflix too?

iirc, XB1 was already confirmed to support 4K video playback at launch, that's why they included the 4K HDMI cable in the box

edit: http://gamingbolt.com/major-nelson-on-xbox-one-rrod-issues-warranty-and-4k-gaming

Major Nelson said:
“Ye! We are really excited about that too. I am sure your audience knows that 4K is the next big thing. Xbox One is a home entertainment system that is built for future. It supports 4K gaming and entertainment. In fact we are shipping an HDMI cable that is 4K rated. So when you get your HDMI cable out of the box it is 4K rated. We are looking forward to bringing 4K capabilities to our consumers in the future, but it depends on the developers,”

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I must be mistaken in this but aren't all HDMI cables exactly the same? I don't think the different types of HDMI have different pinouts.

You are mistaken. HDMI has had many revisions, luckily it remains backwards compatible (so looks the same) but new functionality has been added to the standard (ethernet, 4K etc).

Afrikan

How in the world did Jeff get himself banned? He's no trouble maker. Right before E3 too, dang. Hope it's only for a week. :/

First of the 2 consoles that release a revision to support UHD Blu Ray (horrible name) and 4k steaming is the one I buy again.

Don't have a 4k TV yet, but based on prices right now something tells me this Christmas I'll cave.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm fine with 4k versions of the consoles coming out. New tech releases are always nice. I can hold off til next gen for 4k streaming though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
If there's new news, make a new thread. If there isn't, don't bump threads from three months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom