• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AAA game every other month from Microsoft...?

T-Cake

But hasn't everything come to PC from Xbox One exlusives anyway? Why would that suddenly stop now?

Yes but my PC is half the power (at least) than the XSX. It would cost me more to upgrade the PC for potentially nothing more than 60fps gameplay instead of 30fps and I could get both consoles. The new consoles will be in the 4K resolution range and they both come with NVMe drives so that's another PC advantage gone.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Not all Netflix shows are not AAA quality though (if there was such a thing in the world of TV shows).

As long as they are releasing high quality exclusive content on gamepass every month it doesn't matter whether its AAA, AA or indie.

This obsession with AAA needs to end. Quality is important, not the amount of money that was thrown at the project.

Yeah pretty much. The definition of AAA is already vague enough. I think the Netflix route for Xbox is more profitable. The key is to keep the subscriptions and not just sell as many consoles because the service will be available for all on most devices anyway.

Spencer have already said this “We want to bring Game Pass to any device that somebody wants to play on,”

Dolomite

That's about 6 AAA Titles a year. It's ambitious AF if at all true, but possible with 15 internal studios.
Especially considering some studios are confirmed to be Developing multiple projects

Vawn

Banned
That's about 6 AAA Titles a year. It's ambitious AF if at all true, but possible with 15 internal studios.
Especially considering some studios are confirmed to be Developing multiple projects

Most of those aren't AAA studios. Many are basically indie studios that are no longer technically indies because they were bought.

FranXico

Well, a few PlayStation 2020 exclusives off the top of my head.

Dreams
Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Spider-Man Miles Morales
MLB The Show 20
Persona 5 Royal
Nioh 2

Maybe, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Fobidden West, or others shown at game show without set release dates.
MLB The Show will stop being exclusive. Just saying.

I've read about their intention of releasing a AAA game every quarter a long time ago. In that article they even mentioned MS was aiming to have a userbase of 300m because there is more than 1B people connected and that they were working towards that. I'm not surprised by what this guy says.

Oh explain, please. Because I don't buy the claim that Xbox is making AAAA games? I'd like to hear what you think makes a AAAA game.

AAAA game simply means an absurdly high budget that's above a AAA title. That's all that means. very simple concept.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
another random "insider". I have no idea who this clown is and don't care. Probably won't remember him by next week again

Reads like a fanboys wet dream.

Vawn

Banned
I've read about their intention of releasing a AAA game every quarter a long time ago. In that article they even mentioned MS was aiming to have a userbase of 300m because there is more than 1B people connected and that they were working towards that. I'm not surprised by what this guy says.

One AAA game a quarter isn't even very ambitious. Nintendo gets killed if they move any slower than that.

You have to remember that not every AAA game will be for everyone. One is guaranteed to be Forza. If you don't like racing games, that leaves 3 more shots for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
I totally believe that that is ideally the point that they'd want to get to eventually. Will it be that on day1 or even the first 2 years. I doubt it.

If you think of netflix, they have a ton of content that comes out every month. Its not all AAA, but its content. Eventually if you invest enough $$, you will get there.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Most of those aren't AAA studios. Many are basically indie studios that are no longer technically indies because they were bought.
Many Used to be indie studios or smaller AA teams like Ninja theory, Rare, playground ect but by definition have become AAA with acquisition sky high budgets and additional resources outside of growing in physical size. Some have literally grown 500% in size since acquisition. And the initiative? The size and budget of that studio is insane, it's comparable to a film studio

No one considered Ninja Theory AA when they were gifted us with Heavenly sword at the PS3 launch (still my favorite/Resistance FOM) but now they need to prove themselves?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
MS could announce that the XBX is free for everyone and this place would still shit on it, and them.

As someone with no horse in the console battle its hilarious that a lot of yall are so anti-certain companies and pro-others. Its gotten to "American Politics" level of division and idolization. Very entertaining.

Vawn

Banned
Many Used to be indie studios or smaller AA teams like Ninja theory, Rare,

Rare?? Rare was extremely hot and making cutting tech games when Microsoft acquired them. If they fell to AA or lower, it's because Microsoft used them to make Kinect party style games.

Seems like the opposite point you are trying to make.

One AAA game a quarter isn't even very ambitious. Nintendo gets killed if they move any slower than that.

You have to remember that not every AAA game will be for everyone. One is guaranteed to be Forza. If you don't like racing games, that leaves 3 more shots for the rest of the year.

Lol Nintendo isn't releasing a AAA game every quarter

MS could announce that the XBX is free for everyone and this place would still shit on it, and them.

As someone with no horse in the console battle its hilarious that a lot of yall are so anti-certain companies and pro-others. Its gotten to "American Politics" level of division and idolization. Very entertaining.

Absolutely. Just look at the sony event. Their 2 biggest games had zero gameplay. Spiderman and Horizon. No one said a peep about it.

Could you imagine if next month, MS shows Forza8 gameplay, a platformer gameplay and just a nice trailer from Halo. This place and resetera would have a total meltdown.

That's true. It was a long time ago though so maybe releasing a AAA every quarter was already huge for them. With Gamepass and XCloud it's now a possibility. Console userbase isn't as important as it was and is slowly becoming thing of the past.

Vawn

Banned
AAAA game simply means an absurdly high budget that's above a AAA title. That's all that means. very simple concept.

I can't wait to see what these games look like that put them in an entirely new higher bracket from studios like Naughty Dog. 🤣🤣🤣

Dolomite

Rare?? Rare was extremely hot and making cutting tech games when Microsoft acquired them. If they fell to AA or lower, it's because Microsoft used them to make Kinect party style games.

Seems like the opposite point you are trying to make.
If that's what you gathered from my entire response then I can't help 😂😂
Also studios again by definition only become AAA or AA when referring to Budget, Resources in addition to production. Was it a waste of talent to have Rare Develope for a lukewarm gimmick of a peripheral? Yes, infact it was a sin. Does that make Rare a AA 7 years later with more ambitious projects a metaphoric blank check and more talent being added? Absolutely not.

We've seem to have conjoined AAA with meaning GOTY. Whether or not these titles can sell systems has yet to be seen, because we literally haven't seen them. Doesn't stop the studios from swinging for the fences with a AAA budget behind them now

Bryank75

Banned
This is a combination of an old statement and wishful thinking.... there was some news or insider info that Xbox would target releasing games every two to three months....

But these are not big games, they are not the games that we are typically used to..... they would be smaller experiences or episodic stuff. Things that take a shorter turn around.

I think it's true that Xbox wants to be the Netflix of gaming.... its misguided but anyway.
They want content to make it seem full and have lots of options.

However it is divergent with what the hardcore audience wants and they will get a different type of customer, it also damages their relationship with 3rd parties that want to sell games.

I dunno if they are looking at more acquisitions.... could be but the quality is never going to increase if you have too many studios. It just becomes unmanageable.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Lol Nintendo isn't releasing a AAA game every quarter

No. They release MORE.

Last year (2019):
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Super Mario Maker 2
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Daemon X Machina
Yoshi's Crafted World

Last edited:
No. They release MORE.

Last year (2019):
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Super Mario Maker 2
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Daemon X Machina
Yoshi's Crafted World

You're massively reaching by calling even half of those AAA games

Last edited:

Dolomite

No. They release MORE.

Last year (2019):
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Super Mario Maker 2
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Daemon X Machina
Yoshi's Crafted World
Holy shit Nintendo really gets busy! Those all have a heavy fan base too

MCplayer

No. They release MORE.

Last year (2019):
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword and Shield
Super Mario Maker 2
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Daemon X Machina
Yoshi's Crafted World
idk if its just me, but Nintendo games, I see them as indie games

Last edited:

How is that inside info? It's a lot of guesses mixed with what we already know. Booty already mentioned the onslaught of games in an interview.

Also, what forums is that from?

Last edited:

EDMIX

I mean, it really isn’t that surprising honestly. I have pondered a few times about MS releasing one game every month for the first year or two simply because of the crazy amount of studios and teams they have. They have 14 studios with at least 23 teams as well as a publishing arm with what’s rumored to be 5 or 6 unannounced games.

And I mean hell, even if their 15 studios all had one team each and assuming all games had a 3 year dev cycle they could have 5 games a year. Releasing at least 6 games in a year isn’t totally unsurprising, but when you look at the logistics having those be AAA doesn’t look good:

343 - at least 1 team AAA
The Coalition - at least 1 team AAA
Rare - will likely have AAA budgets from now on if Everwild is successful if that’s not already AAA
Turn 10 - 1 AAA team
Playground games - 2 AAA teams
Ninja Theory - 1 AAA team (Hellblade 2 team)
Undead Labs - has desire to be AAA
The initiative - AAA studio. Possibly “AAAA” which is a BS term
InXile - 1 AAA team.
Obsidian - 2 AAA teams

So not even including Global Publishing, there are at least 11 AAA teams. So definitely not enough for 6 AAA games a year outside of them having a shit ton of AAA games though global publishing which likely wouldn’t even work for them that well.

Agreed. My issue isn't with the teams, its with MS themselves. Having a team means nothing if you are also not even funding them to even put out some big AAA titles. MS have yet to really make any new IP with the budget of a Halo.

Yet Sony can do Uncharted after Jak, The Last Of Us after that, InFamous after Sly, Ghost Of Tsushima after that, HZD after Killzone etc.

They are not scared to move on and put a massive budget behind a new IP that revivals or even surpasses their support of other AAA IP they make. MS acts like they'll die if any other game gets more support, funding, marketing outside of Halo and Gears.

Then act shocked when they are not getting new consumers.

Last edited:
What's the average time of developing AAA game? 3 years+? 5 even? It's just impossible to have AAA game every 2 month, you would need at least 20+ dev studios

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Have you nothing better to do than troll Xbox threads? Daniels, M would be proud.

On topic - A new AAA game every other month sounds awesome, but unless MS bought even more studios that we haven't heard about I don't think this is too likely unless they moneyhat a bunch of 3rd party games.

Vawn

Banned
Have you nothing better to do than troll Xbox threads? Daniels, M would be proud.

I'm not trolling at all. Most were literally indie studios making indie style games.

I like indie games. But, let's not act like they magically become AAA studios on the level of Insomniac or something just because they were purchased.

Matt_Fox

"AAA every month - what say you Sean Bean?"

OndsPNR.jpg

I’m not so sure I’d want Microsoft or any other dev/pub to spit out that many “AAA” games in such a short time span. I may be wrong but that particular scenario seems it would compromise the quality of those titles big time. Six AAA 1st party games in one year is fine but six every year?

Kuranghi

Apparently, nothing as good as Xbox execs.

AAAA probably means something like the scope & scale of Destiny or Too Human. Its bulletproof.

Ascend

It seems to be the goal 'down the line when the ball really gets going'. That's quite vague. It can be in 10 years too. Obviously we're not getting that right now. But is it possible..? Maybe...

Releasing a game every other month means 6 games per year. If you give development studios 2 years to work on each game, that means you need to have at least 12 AAA development studios, assuming each one works on one project at a time.
It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities for Microsoft. They do have the money for it. Whether it will work in practice is another story.

Top Bottom