• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Aonuma interview in French on Zelda development, Monolith, voice acting, Ueda/TLG

Cerium

This sounds like a really good one. If anyone is willing to do a full and complete translation, it would be appreciated.

Edit: Much better English summary here!

And for no reason other than I felt like it: Here is the Zelda trailer in French.

Another interview: http://www.gamekult.com/actu/eiji-aonuma-un-zelda-ou-lon-prend-plaisir-a-se-perdre-A172637.html

Good one too, tells how he expects this game to be the 3d equivalent of the original zelda and how they did the playtests, using different tools to see the path that the players were taking. Interesting tidbit is that ueda is friends with nintendo and sent aonuma a copy of the last guardian. nice!
Aonuma says Breath of the Wild has a lot of cutscenes.
The other very interesting thing is that they stopped every milestone to play the game for a week and put everyone on the team on the same page. This in my opinion seems like a great idea to make a 300 team always be focused on every aspect of the game.
Roughly:

- Open world idea came from feedback after Skyward Sword.
- Filling the world with stuff was done in an organic way, going manually through the world instead of looking at a 2D map. He says Miyamoto did the same thing with Zelda 1.
- Previous Zelda games under his supervision featured more hand holding because not knowing what to do is the worst thing that can happen, but with this game they tried to feature a new kind of way of "feeling lost". A positive one. Says the heart of the game is the loop of climbing, looking around, and paragliding.
- Says it's funny because he played Last Guardian and some of the gameplay elements reminded him of things they tried to do in BOTW too.
- Never played Dark Souls.
- Is aware that adding numbers and stats isn't always a good thing and he tried to avoid that in the past, but it was necessary for this game, especially with the loot system and exploration.
- Always argued with Miyamoto what the essence of a Zelda game was. Finally came to the conclusion with BOTW that it was a strong sense of place in a world, and the feeling of growing stronger as you play.

- What delayed the game wasn't creating the physics engine, but tweaking it for it to make sense everywhere. It was hard and required great coordination between teams.
- Lot of external playtests where they would watch where everyone go, and ask why they wanted to go to certain places. Tweaked the game accordingly.
- Monolith only worked on assets with Skyward Sword because their open world philosophy wasn't the same at the time. Now with BOTW they worked on the world too.

- Twilight Princess transitioning from GC to Wii helped them port the game to the Switch. It went a lot smoother.
- All cutscenes have voice acting. Wasn't always going to be like that, but they went for it.

- Has lot of ideas for other games, but always end up using them in Zelda games. Now he has specific ideas he refuses to put in Zelda games because he wants to do them elsewhere, but he's so busy with BOTW that he doesn't know when it'll happen.

Overall I thought it was an excellent interview, a bit different in tone than the usual PR speak.

It's an interesting mix that the cutscenes are fully voiced but it seems like NPC interactions are traditional Zelda.
Might be better that way, tbh.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My biggest takeaways are them tweaking the game after reviewing how people navigate, the fact he hasn't played Dark Souls, and that all the cutscenes are voiced.

Honestly - I'm pretty surprised he hasn't played DS. While I don't agree with all the hyperbolic "WE DARK SOULS NOW" every time a gif is posted, it does seem - at least in long-form videos, that it takes a few cues from that series.

My biggest takeaways are them tweaking the game after reviewing how people navigate, the fact he hasn't played Dark Souls, and that all the cutscenes are voiced.

Honestly - I'm pretty surprised he hasn't played DS. While I don't agree with all the hyperbolic "WE DARK SOULS NOW" every time a gif is posted, it does seem - at least in long-form videos, that it takes a few cues from that series.

Well, he's not the only one working on the project. Some other devs might've played Dark Souls or something.

Dark Souls takes a lot of cues from Zelda. Upping the difficulty and aggression of enemies would result in a pretty similar experience and I'm guessing that's why they seem similar now...though maybe someone in the team played DS too. Who knows?

I really love how he intentionally didn't include a XP and level system. He knows what's good.
It's cool and very "Zelda". Heart Pieces and new items were how Link would progress and "level up" before, but it's a bit more noticeable here.
Usually don't like durability, but it seems to be handled here pretty well.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I would love to watch Aonuma play through Dark Souls. Even just the initial hours.

I really love how he intentionally didn't want to include a XP and level system. He knows what's good.

Same. This game has been going for such a naturalistic approach, I'm glad they knew where to draw the line.

Branduil

So what's the deal with all our English-speaking games journalists failing to get these kinds of interviews? The French are kicking our asses.

massoluk

Banned
Has lot of ideas for other games, but always end up using them in Zelda games. Now he has specific ideas he refuses to put in Zelda games because he wants to do them elsewhere, but he's so busy with BOTW that he doesn't know when it'll happen.
Man, this quote is very Nintendo

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man, this quote is very Nintendo
Not really. There's so many different Nintendo ips out there that never get talked about because they're not AAA titles. You have a 3DS or a ds? Go look. There's lots of smaller devs at Nintendo bringing out new mechanics, and new ideas in unorthodox ways.

So what's the deal with all our English-speaking games journalists failing to get these kinds of interviews? The French are kicking our asses.

Indeed, foreign interviews are getting details about the game (multiple ending for example), details about the game development, and even his relationship with other developers outside of nintendo.

Hopefully Monolith can implement the scenic vistas from Xenoblade and also learn about dungeon design while working on this game.

Xenoblade 2 better have good dungeons do you hear me.

neoemonk

I love Monolith and am now even more excited about BOTW than I already was, which I didn't think was actually possible.

Cerium

Hopefully Monolith can implement the scenic vistas from Xenoblade and also learn about dungeon design while working on this game.

Xenoblade 2 better have good dungeons do you hear me.
I feel like any other publisher would have shut down Monolith by now since their games are huge in scale, probably expensive to make, and never sell well.

However they are uniquely useful to Nintendo as a tech resource so they have free reign to keep making bomba after bomba. It's quite interesting really.

massoluk

Banned
Not really. There's so many different Nintendo ips out there that never get talked about because they're not AAA titles. You have a 3DS or a ds? Go look. There's lots of smaller devs at Nintendo bringing out new mechanics, and new ideas in unorthodox ways.
I'm talking about how they always find new ideas and keep them in a vault. Well I guess we are talking the same thing

Branduil

It's an interesting mix that the cutscenes are fully voiced but it seems like NPC interactions are traditional Zelda.
Might be better that way, tbh.
Voicing all NPC interactions would have massively increased the budget, I imagine. Also makes it more difficult to edit conversations later.

Pyrokai

Is anyone particularly worried about how the dubbing lip syncing is going to come across in the cutscenes? As of right now we have yet see a character speak other than in like an overtone in a trailer....

udivision

Is anyone particularly worried about how the dubbing lip syncing is going to come across in the cutscenes? As of right now we have yet see a character speak other than in like an overtone in a trailer....

I'm assuming Monolith Soft helped with that.

Cerium

Only a few level designers from Monolith helped for BotW guys, it's mostly assets like Skyward Sword

Assets and level design aren't exactly trivial.

Here's their official site.

top_main.jpg

AntMurda

Only a few level designers from Monolith helped for BotW guys, it's mostly assets like Skyward Sword

Every major Japanese game has like 10 art companies assisting. From Platinum Games to Grasshopper to even Monolith themselves.

top_main.jpg

That's artwork. Not assets, and Nintendo never outsources artwork. Nakano lead the artwork for BOTW according to that art guide published. Assets are definitely outsourced across the board. You aren't going to expend your entire art staff on the minutia of world building.

top_main.jpg

I didn't say it was trivial, just not as big as some people here think it is.
edit :
Sur Breath of the Wild, en revanche, nous avons été aidés par des level designers habitués aux grands espaces de jeu, afin de réaliser des aménagements topographiques.

Quick translation : Monolith level designers only worked on world building because of their experience with big worlds

Pokemaniac

I'm assuming Monolith Soft helped with that.

I feel the need to mention that Xenoblade (and maybe X, too, I didn't pay very close attention) used Japanese lip sync for all languages in detailed cutscenes and just random flapping in less detailed ones.

udivision

Just watched a cutscene from XCX. This didn't instill confidence lol

I guess it shouldn't, heh.

Sometimes you show up late to the party looking better than everyone else..

Other times it's obvious that you're a decade behind modern trends.

We'll see how it turns out.

Pokemaniac

I think it is significant enough that we will get a giant Monolith logo at game start up.

Nintendo doesn't really do studio logos on startup like at all anymore. For a while now, basically all of their first party games go directly to the title screen.

AntMurda

Nintendo doesn't really do studio logos on startup like at all anymore. For a while now, basically all of their first party games go directly to the title screen.

He was being sarcastic. You'll see Monolith buried in the end credits in the special thanks section with the other dozens of helpers.

I'd be interested in seeing a new Aonuma IP.

Another "Another Treasure Island" incoming! With an engine this comprehensive and long-gestating, I don't think they'll wait long to use it again. No doubt for another Zelda game, but maybe for this thief idea as well.

I wonder if they have put some sort of tribute into the game regarding Iwata. They had the time to do it.

One of the traveling warriors they passed in the recent demos seemed to have glasses and a similar haircut, though it may be a coincidence.

They had to think about adding voice acting for a super high profile triple-A Nintendo title releasing in 2017. Nintendo can be so out of touch, Jesus.

AntMurda

top_main.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...-for-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-bow-importance/
Q: So lastly, I’ll ask about Breath of the Wild. Also this time [Takumi] Wada-san was responsible for artwork, right?

Yusuke Nakano (Nintendo illustrator): Right. The plan was to appoint Wada from the start. It follows naturally from Skyward Sword, so there was no other choice than Wada

squall23

I feel like any other publisher would have shut down Monolith by now since their games are huge in scale, probably expensive to make, and never sell well.

However they are uniquely useful to Nintendo as a tech resource so they have free reign to keep making bomba after bomba. It's quite interesting really.
Not only that, they're also Nintendo's best link to Bamco.

Indeed, foreign interviews are getting details about the game (multiple ending for example), details about the game development, and even his relationship with other developers outside of nintendo.

WHAT.

So there's no just one possible ending outcome? How many timelines will split off from this?

random25

WHAT.

So there's no just one possible ending outcome? How many timelines will split off from this?

The timeline will be decided by the next game anyway.

Their games were never super high budget to begin with. Plus, their Xeno games were never really in the "bomba" category.

gfxtwin

When looking at BOTW footage it really feels like they took a long, hard look at Ueda's work on SOTC when coming up with the overworld and visual style. SOTC even had a gliding parachute thing!

Speely

Banned
I love that the heart of the game is climbing, looking, then paragliding. Something about that seems so free and natural. A constant rhythm of exploring, interacting, observing, and deciding. They had to make the map huge to make this work, really, and it will be interesting to see how they filled it in via the more experiential process (as opposed to via a 2d map) given this.

I need this game.

Top Bottom