• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed Empire details?

sjay1994

Who actually wants this?

It really depends how they handle it.

Black Flag's open world worked because of the ship. However, the actual landmasses were not big at all.

This rumor is basically a recap of what leaked last year however that leak mentioned that the horse and some form of boat travel were included, which means that the traveling could be mitigated.

The desert is probably what will be the majority of the map size, however what populates it is what will determine whether or not the open world size is justified. While I know the instant assumption people will have is "oh they are just going to copy/paste the same missions, spread hundreds of collectibles, etc"

But, ubisoft said that the new Assassins Creed would mark a new format for the companies open world games, so all we can do is wait and see.

HaloRose

Banned
It's nice next assassin creed going into ancient world though :) Please go into ancient rome and be one who assassination Julius Cesar after this one :)

sjay1994

So, bumping this thread since the head of Assassins Creed narrative content did an AMA mostly about the movie, but he did give some insights on future games

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinsc...mmary_of_aymar_azaizias_ama_feel_free_to_add/

But a summary of things regarding future games

- This is the biggest thing he said: According to him, that leaked screenshot of a man with a spear and shield is apparently not related to Assassins Creed. Then again, I doubt he will flat out say "yes this is a part of our future game", but take it as you will.

- On modern day, a lot of it has been pushed out of the games and into other media (comics, books, movie, etc) But the dev team understands its importance in the games, and if a proper modern day gameplay segment is to be included/done, it needs to be done properly. Take that as you will. I just hope they realize that no one enjoys what Syndicate and Unity did with the modern day segments.

-In terms of the open world quality bar being raised by Zelda, Horizon etc, he said "bring it on. We are not afraid of competition and it helps us improve". I dunno what this means, but I hope the series is genuinely able to compete with these games.

-The chances of a western (cowboy) assassins creed is low. If ubisoft does make an open world western game, it will probably be related to Call of Jaurez (I'm implying it since he said "we have a western game series")

-They don't have a good game model for a VR Assassins Creed.

- Games probably won't be using the "claw" animus from the movie

-They are not moving away from narrative. This was a concern due to a translated interview, but Nirolak made a thread about the actual statements of that interview

-Connor won't return in a game, but they are open to concluding his story in a comic or book. At this point, I'll take fucking whatever.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So, bumping this thread since the head of Assassins Creed narrative content did an AMA mostly about the movie, but he did give some insights on future games

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinsc...mmary_of_aymar_azaizias_ama_feel_free_to_add/

But a summary of things regarding future games

- This is the biggest thing he said: According to him, that leaked screenshot of a man with a spear and shield is apparently not related to Assassins Creed. Then again, I doubt he will flat out say "yes this is a part of our future game", but take it as you will.

- On modern day, a lot of it has been pushed out of the games and into other media (comics, books, movie, etc) But the dev team understands its importance in the games, and if a proper modern day gameplay segment is to be included/done, it needs to be done properly. Take that as you will. I just hope they realize that no one enjoys what Syndicate and Unity did with the modern day segments.

-In terms of the open world quality bar being raised by Zelda, Horizon etc, he said "bring it on. We are not afraid of competition and it helps us improve". I dunno what this means, but I hope the series is genuinely able to compete with these games.

-The chances of a western (cowboy) assassins creed is low. If ubisoft does make an open world western game, it will probably be related to Call of Jaurez (I'm implying it since he said "we have a western game series")

-They don't have a good game model for a VR Assassins Creed.

-They are not moving away from narrative. This was a concern due to a translated interview, but Nirolak made a thread about the actual statements of that interview

-Connor won't return in a game, but they are open to concluding his story in a comic or book. At this point, I'll take fucking whatever.

How did they handle the modern day segments in Syndicate/Unity ? Fuck I played Unity and I cant remember. However if that means as little of it as possible or even completely removed I'm all for it. Fuck the modern day stuff, it's shite.

sjay1994

How did they handle the modern day segments in Syndicate/Unity ? Fuck I played Unity and I cant remember. However if that means as little of it as possible or even completely removed I'm all for it. Fuck the modern day stuff, it's shite.

Its fucking terrible, it was those terrible cg scenes where a character is talking to you the player. I enjoy the modern day, I get why some people don't. But with what is there now, no one is satisfied, because people who care basically get nothing, while people who dislike the modern day still have to sit through these meaningless cutscenes.

rhandino

Banned
On modern day, a lot of it has been pushed out of the games and into other media (comics, books, movie, etc) But the dev team understands its importance in the games, and if a proper modern day gameplay segment is to be included/done, it needs to be done properly. Take that as you will. I just hope they realize that no one enjoys what Syndicate and Unity did with the modern day segments.
Oh god

They need to understand that the framing device was the thing that made the first games work and ever since III the whole thing feels pointless and neverending.

Please, let the future storyline be at least similar to the one in IV and Rogue and nothing like what happened in Unity/Syndicate.

Please.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Its fucking terrible, it was those terrible cg scenes where a character is talking to you the player. I enjoy the modern day, I get why some people don't. But with what is there now, no one is satisfied, because people who care basically get nothing, while people who dislike the modern day still have to sit through these meaningless cutscenes.

Oh yeah I remember that now. Not great but I wasn't forced to play it so I didn't mind so much :p I will admit though when it comes to the Assassins Creed games I have funny tastes so maybe the modern stuff is extremely popular for all I know - for example I love Altair and Connor but don't like Ezio very much at all (I think he's a bit of a twat to be honest) and I don't see that being the case with many AC fans.

UrbanRats

Modern stuff in 2 and Brohood was fine ( i actually liked seeing Monteriggioni in modern times) but everything after those has been a descending spiral into shit.
Especially when they introduced the "Abstergo is a game company" meta angle.

jdstorm

Banned
I thought Unity was great. Probably my favourite in the series.

This. 90% of what was wrong with Unity was due to overambition from the devs and fixed with patches. Unity (Patched) is largely fantastic.

Arno is a bit too generic/similar to Ezio and could have used a different character model to differentiate himself. Also Elise Dying Sucked. Really wish they had gone for the Happy Ending.

Modern Stuff needs a reset. Id personally go with Unnamed Chosen one has to learn the skills of the past Assasins in preperation for a greater threat. Have Cutscenes at the begining and end of the game. You can easily drag this out over 10+ games without having any payoff at which point its 2040 and the series can be rebooted.

sjay1994

Modern stuff in 2 and Brohood was fine ( i actually liked seeing Monteriggioni in modern times) but everything after those has been a descending spiral into shit.
Especially when they introduced the "Abstergo is a game company" meta angle.

Back when 4 came out I had no problem with it because I thought "oh, they are just having a bit of fun taking the piss out of game development"

Then Unity and Syndicate happened and I was fucking annoyed beyond all belief.

Prologue

Something rubs me the wrong way with how they never really continued the present day story line after 3.

Whats up with that? Or am I missing something?

DOWN

Banned
Well we had Adewale as main character

Adewale.png

? He was a supporting character

jem0208

This. 90% of what was wrong with Unity was due to overambition from the devs and fixed with patches. Unity (Patched) is largely fantastic.

Arno is a bit too generic/similar to Ezio and could have used a different character model to differentiate himself. Also Elise Dying Sucked. Really wish they had gone for the Happy Ending.

Modern Stuff needs a reset. Id personally go with Unnamed Chosen one has to learn the skills of the past Assasins in preperation for a greater threat. Have Cutscenes at the begining and end of the game. You can easily drag this out over 10+ games without having any payoff at which point its 2040 and the series can be rebooted.
Yup, exactly.

iFirez

? He was a supporting character
He was playable in DLC... right? (Beaten, above ^^)

I really want an open world Anicent Egypt game. Based on the Pharaoh's having different pieces of Eden and controlling their slaves and subordinates with them. You, a former slave, join a newly created order of assassins who want to topple the heiarecy and in the process learn of a dark connection between these Pharaoh's and the objects they wield. Very sci-fi meets historical... I would love that.

I also think the modern day narrative is unnecessary but if they really want to keep it they need to go back and look at how it was used in AE1, 2 and Brotherhood - it added intrigue and expanded what was happening in the past as you had a narrative drive to help and build upon what was happening. 3 is when it really started to drop for me then since its been odd first person experiences and cutscenes that feel very disjointed and unenjoyable.

Sanojio

The present day story in the comics and novels with the new protagonist, Charlotte de la Cruz is very interesting. Berg is far worse than Daniel Cross ever was, but he really believes in the Templar ideology

emag

The present day story in the comics and novels with the new protagonist, Charlotte de la Cruz is very interesting. Berg is far worse than Daniel Cross ever was, but he really believes in the Templar ideology

The games really should stand on their own without requiring cross-media consumption. Ideally the modern day story in each game should be interesting and comprehensible to new players as well. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case since Brotherhood.

yurinka

Regarding the size of the map, I'm tired of seeing the games getting bigger and bigger. I don't have a lot of time to play. I want smaller but more polished, varied open worlds.

Yes and i'm sure that's a good use of a player's time. Fetch quests are padding, and they're not absent from criticism just because it comes from a Zelda game.

But we're not discussing that. We're talking AC here, which has been rampant with barren open worlds and meaningless side content in the past. I'm hoping they do away with that stuff and put something of substance in this vast open world of theirs.
Touchy.

Zelda has a side quest of a guy asking for 55 toads of an specific toad (which grows in places where it's difficult to access). And the 900 seeds collectible in 5 or 6 variants. Tons of meaningless sidequests of NPCs who just ask you to talk someone else, to find X or to bring him/her a X amount of Y materials. There are dozens of enemy camps to infiltrate/assault and towers to climb to discover the map of this area.

Zelda basically added a lot of the typical Ubisoft open world stuff, plus a few Monster Hunter and Dark Souls bits to their formula.

Zelda gets praised for doing basically the same stuff what Ubi always did, but was (and is) critizied for it instead.

Regarding the size of the map, I'm tired of seeing the games getting bigger and bigger. I don't have a lot of time to play. I want smaller but more polished, varied open worlds.

Zelda has a side quest of a guy asking for 55 toads of an specific toad (which grows in places where it's difficult to access). And the 900 seeds collectible in 5 or 6 variants. Tons of meaningless sidequests of NPCs who just ask you to talk someone else, to find X or to bring him/her a X amount of Y materials. There are dozens of enemy camps to infiltrate/assault and towers to climb to discover the map of this area.

Zelda basically added a lot of the typical Ubisoft open world stuff, plus a few Monster Hunter and Dark Souls bits to their formula.

Zelda gets praised for doing basically the same stuff what Ubi always did, but was (and is) critizied for it instead.

I'm curious, I haven't played Zelda, but why do you think BOTW gets the praise, but AC gets the critiques for doing the same thing?

atr0cious

I'm curious, I haven't played Zelda, but why do you think BOTW gets the praise, but AC gets the critiques for doing the same thing?
Because those side quests are inconsequential and nothing to be worried over. Unless it's early game, you usually already have what they want. One guy just wants pieces of meat and you get 100 rupees for every piece, and since I'm already stacked, it's not like I'm having to chase it down. The "real"side quests usually are shrine based, and are more involved than bring me thing nearby, though some of those are, figure thing out nearby. But the main reason, is some players may never even see those side quests. They're never offering anything you absolutely need, especially since most annoying side quests are tied to xp, which is where the "i had to do it" thoughts usually come from. So to complete them is entirely optional with no real incentive other than the base interaction.

Top Bottom