• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed game (Victory, now Syndicate) to be revealed on May 12th

IvanJ

Banned
Not much IMO. I found an area where there were endless guards and I got into a rhymthm and killed guys without getting hurt for like 15 minutes. There really is no challenge, but damn do you look cool pulling off moves.
That was my biggest problem in AC3, and why I quit the series.
I made it through the entire game using only a hidden blade and a starting tomahawk (except when mission demanded a specific weapon).
There was no need to upgrade, loot, hunt or anything else... It was simply boring and repetitive.

Fordfx2

Just like the final game will be.

Get ready to hang yourself!

GGybGsA.gif

Haven't bought an AC since Revelations (excluding Freedom Cry), I was very interested in Unity but the whole parity debacle and the poor frame rate/bugginess reported put me off.

If they get the launch right and it's not buggy and has a solid frame rate I'll definitely be considering this, I know AC gameplay gets a lot of stick on here but I really don't mind it that much, If it has a good story and interesting characters that will be enough for me to make it a solid game. The setting is good.

JoshHood

I cannot figure out why they would rename it. Victory was an awesome subtitle.

Sounds too final when looking back. Having Victory, then anything that sounds like a struggle, sounds a bit odd.

Basically, to avoid people next year going "but they already won last time, stop already!"

glaurung

Sounds too final when looking back. Having Victory, then anything that sounds like a struggle, sounds a bit odd.

Basically, to avoid people next year going "but they already won last time, stop already!"
Not really an issue for me. You could always subvert this title - maybe it's the bad guys who win?

It's not like Unity and Liberation and Revelations do not carry a certain amount of finite meaning.

Epcott

I really hope they don't make it a grind fest just to unlock basic Assassin abilities freely given to you, like what they did in Unity.

Not really hyped for this, but I want to be. Unity was so buggy and messy, it really turned me off to the series (more so than 3), and this appears to be more of the same with a victorian coat.

I agree. Unity did a lot right to improve the parkour, but they didn't have enough in the way of a tutorial. You can watch a video on YouTube and instantly tell that the person isn't controlling the game correctly. Too many people mistake not understanding the core controls for the traversal system being broken. It isn't the players fault, it is the fault of the developer for not communicating the systems properly. For Syndicate I hope they make a new version of their animus tutorial program for the beginning of the game.

More tutorials isn't something this franchise needs more of, I'm sorry. Players mistake with the free running controls I think stem from yearly releases with most of them bringing over the same control scheme. For instance, "the assassin's claw" controls.... In Unity they finally did switch things up but some players kept to habit and would continue to hold the RT+A/X combo like in previous games.

SomTervo

I always tried to get into the Ass Creed games but the parkour system just doesn't do it for me. Press right trigger to be awesome has always been boring and janky to me. Give me more freedom of choice when it comes to movement. Make the movement I perform feel fluid and I will be in. Tighten the combat as well.

Either try Unity, which has a fantastically more fluid and intuitive system (which requires you to press three buttons to control your movement), or Black Flag, where all the new gameplay systems (open world pirating, much improved stealth, decent alert systems, a big wildlife sandbox) made the janky parkour really easy to forget.

I agree. Unity did a lot right to improve the parkour, but they didn't have enough in the way of a tutorial. You can watch a video on YouTube and instantly tell that the person isn't controlling the game correctly. Too many people mistake not understanding the core controls for the traversal system being broken. It isn't the players fault, it is the fault of the developer for not communicating the systems properly. For Syndicate I hope they make a new version of their animus tutorial program for the beginning of the game.

More tutorials isn't something this franchise needs more of, I'm sorry. Players mistake with the free running controls I think stem from yearly releases with most of them bringing over the same control scheme. For instance, "the assassin's claw" controls.... In Unity they finally did switch things up but some players kept to habit and would continue to hold the RT+A/X combo like in previous games.

I think he means better tutorials really.

Unity's parkour is fantastic, but the only explanation you get is one screen near the beginning of the game. The screen just tells you "Hold RT to freerun straight ahead, then hold X to freerun up, and O to freerun down".

If it put this in clearer terms and explained that tapping makes a big difference, I think there'd be much less issue. I guess the whole problem might be that the freerunning just isn't that intuitive, which is sad, because when it works it's brilliant.

Cimarron

OPPRESSION HAS TO END

If only the series would.

Still, as a brit, I would love to see with what they do with London. Hopefully there are less glitches this time around.

Her's a thought. Instead of posting in an Assassins Creed hype thread and increasing its post count (and hype) why don't you just ingnore the thread and and not buy anymore Assasins Creed games. That would be more constructive in getting your wish granted for the series to end.

That said. HYPE! I can't wait. They have had there fair share of misteps but I still love the series. Give me more!

Canadian

It would be nice if multiplayer returned. I know I was one of few but I really enjoyed the multiplayer of AC: Brotherhood and Revelations.

I played the multiplayer in Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and just recently started it in Black Flag. It holds up incredibly well after all these years and is still different than anything else being played online.

I hope they bring it back as well, it's a ton of fun!

hitsugi

Unity really shook me... I often felt completely out of control with what was happening in that game. Visually impressive, but the game played horribly compared to AC3 or Black Flag.. or any other AC game.

Yoday

Unity really shook me... I often felt completely out of control with what was happening in that game. Visually impressive, but the game played horribly compared to AC3 or Black Flag.. or any other AC game.
Common theme that keeps pointing back to the terrible tutorials in Unity. Unity gave you far more control than any other game in the series, but the game didn't explain the systems well enough. Hell, it took me hours upon hours of playing before I accidentally discovered that you could aim and throw smoke bombs to create a concealment zone. It changed the stealth game completely. I showed that trick to a friend who had also been playing for a number of hours, and it blew his mind. Heist co-op missions instantly became considerably more fun.

Yeah, 100% agree. I've really loved almost all the AC games with Ezio and Edward being two of my favorite video game characters. Unity just felt all wrong though, although Paris was amazing.

My hopes for Syndicate (Victory is SUCH a better name!!) are very tempered, at this point all I am looking forward to is roaming around the roof tops of London reading the wiki-fied historical entries in game. I fully expect a terrible story like Unity and characters that are bland and boring.

On the plus side the Ubisoft release model makes these games extremely cheap. I'll buy at launch, play for 2 weeks, and trade it in for about what I paid. Then 3-4 months down the road the game will be $15-20 on sale every other week and I can pick up a copy to keep and tool around with.

Either try Unity, which has a fantastically more fluid and intuitive system (which requires you to press three buttons to control your movement), or Black Flag, where all the new gameplay systems (open world pirating, much improved stealth, decent alert systems, a big wildlife sandbox) made the janky parkour really easy to forget.

Unity's parkour is fantastic, but the only explanation you get is one screen near the beginning of the game. The screen just tells you "Hold RT to freerun straight ahead, then hold X to freerun up, and O to freerun down".

If it put this in clearer terms and explained that tapping makes a big difference, I think there'd be much less issue. I guess the whole problem might be that the freerunning just isn't that intuitive, which is sad, because when it works it's brilliant.

I would recommend they bring back the Animus challenge rooms they had in Brotherhood. The free running challenges really taught the player the ins and outs of the system.

Yasae

Banned

I noticed tapping got me around many hand/foot hold situations. At first Arno doesn't seem to want to grip what looks to be a slightly out of range hold, but a tap on A/X keeps him moving.

robb_w7

Banned
Unity was a broken buggy beta mess that should have been delayed by at least 3 months, i wont be getting this game until i see a few credible reviews of the game.

People who pre-order this game must be mentally ill

I'm speaking with my wallet. I won't support singleplayer-focused games with new protagonists that don't let you play as a woman. Whether the woman is the main character or you can select your gender.

that seems a bit harsh and i'm saying that as someone who would like more female protagonists.

SomTervo

I would recommend they bring back the Animus challenge rooms they had in Brotherhood. The free running challenges really taught the player the ins and outs of the system.

That's a good idea. There are training rooms in Unity but they're only for combat, right? Seems like a much more intuitive way of teaching people the mechanics.

I noticed tapping got me around many hand/foot hold situations. At first Arno doesn't seem to want to grip what looks to be a slightly out of range hold, but a tap on A/X keeps him moving.

There are a few really irritating idiosyncrasies in the system. On the whole I'd say it's great, but these things really got in the way of some people's experience I think.

Unity was a broken buggy beta mess that should have been delayed by at least 3 months, i wont be getting this game until i see a few credible reviews of the game.

People who pre-order this game must be mentally ill

Exaggeration.

Not a single issue in Unity at launch stopped you playing the game. In no way was it "broken". Did you play it at launch?

I bought it just before launch day and completed the campaign long before the oober-patch dropped, and enjoyed it tremendously the entire time. Then I continued playing it with improved performance because it's a genuinely good game.

funo

15 minutes until:

- "ZERO GAMEPLAY, ONLY CGI - THX FOR NOTHING UBI !!!1111"
- "They should have kept the name Victory"
- "looks boring #wouldnotbuy"
- [insert random insulting quote here]

Her's a thought. Instead of posting in an Assassins Creed hype thread and increasing its post count (and hype) why don't you just ingnore the thread and and not buy anymore Assasins Creed games. That would be more constructive in getting your wish granted for the series to end.

That said. HYPE! I can't wait. They have had there fair share of misteps but I still love the series. Give me more!

Fully agree with this post.

Also, HYPED! Can not wait to play this.

Alienous

15 minutes until:

- "ZERO GAMEPLAY, ONLY CGI - THX FOR NOTHING UBI !!!1111"
- "They should have kept the name Victory"
- "looks boring #wouldnotbuy"
- [insert random insulting quote here]

Something crude about a female assassin, I'm sure.

koolin101

Neo Member
Got a red dead feel seeing the trains and time period but never again ubi. Your copy and pasta superstars, can't wait for you to ruin the division too

Aselith

Man, that trailer is super unappealing. The setting is interesting to me but the main characters costume looks super goofy especially the necklace with black bauble on it and the horrible deep buttrock song is horrible.

I this getting people pumped? I feel like it wouldn't.

Top Bottom