• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atlus DS game - Devil Survivor

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DSatlus.jpg

it's an ad so...

a new SMT DS game? Who knows!? Could be an RTS for all we know!

duckroll

That's odd, it doesn't look like the kanji say "Shin Megami Tensei" but instead it looks more like "Megami Ibunroku"... I wish we have a better picture, but if it's true why not just call it Persona? Hmmmmmmmm...... unless you're right and it's a RTS like HoM, FFXIIRW and BD+....

duckroll

Tenbatsu said:
Think its new in the Megami series, 女神異聞録.

There is no Megami "series", that title was only used for the first Persona, and nothing else.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Atlus certainly does like inserting "Devil" into the titles of their games.

grandjedi6 said:
So its related to Persona but not Shin Megami Tensei?

I don't even know how that would be possible.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Atlus DS rpg? I'm in!

If it's an RTS, not so much. I'd like it to be a Persona game as I've yet to discover what the fuss is all about. Wait & See...

duckroll

It might not be related to anything. When Digital Devil Saga was announced, there was lots of speculation that it was a homage to the original title of Megami Tensei, which was Digital Devil Monogatari. In the end it turned out to really have nothing to do with MT or SMT, just another spinoff.

With the Raidou games, they turned out to be Devil Summoner spin offs that played another like Devil Summoner or Soul Hackers, and had a totally different theme/setting. I doubt this is going to be any different. They probably looked at the first Persona and went "Hey we haven't used the Megami Ibunroku title since then, why?" and someone else goes "Shrug, let's slap it on some new title now!".

The Persona series is now Persona, nothing more. They dropped the Megami title after the first game, so to see it pop up again is just kinda odd to say the least. I bet it's a RTS.

Tenbatsu

Mistouze said:
Atlus DS rpg? I'm in!

If it's an RTS, not so much. I'd like it to be a Persona game as I've yet to discover what the fuss is all about. Wait & See...
Its a Real Time Shooter like Gun Survivor, believe!

Teknoman

I hope its not an RTS. Getting sick of RPGs getting DS semi-sequels as RTS games. Opportunities wasted if you ask me.

Hive

Banned
Could it possibly be a text adventure game? I'm always hoping for more of those, as quite a few good ones haven't yet been localized

Teknoman

I'd take a new Megaten game with a first person view combat system (Dragon Quest IV, Etrian Odyssey, Mother/Earthbound) but with some really nice monster idle and attack animations.

And of course Shoji Meguro composed music.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Do we have to wait until next week to find out what it is? duckroll's already killed my hype, now I just want to know what the genre is. :(

jj984jj said:
Do we have to wait until next week to find out what it is? duckroll's already killed my hype, now I just want to know what the genre is. :(
looks like it says the 7th of november there on the ad, so yeah, next week looks like

A new, decent Majin Tensei-style game would be great. Doubt that's what this is, though.

It'd be nice if they bring back some of their older composers, especially if they get Tsukasa Masuko to bring his best to the table.

(of course, I'd kill/settle for Hidehito Aoki)

jesusraz

Good news indeed. The more Atlus RPGs on the DS, the better in my opinion!

Shadow780 said:
heavy-texted AVG please.
Sad that whenever I see that nowadays, all I think of is the anti-virus programme :-/

Soulhouf

BlazingDarkness said:
looks like it says the 7th of november there on the ad, so yeah, next week looks like
It says "after 7 days".
I guess we have to wait next Wednesday to get more informations.

Aeana

soulhouf said:
It says "after 7 days".
I guess we have to wait next Wednesday to get more informations.

It says 11/7 at the bottom. But it'll be in next week's Famitsu, anyway, so we'll get it early.

duckroll

http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/718

Meguro updated his creator's blog today and mentions that this week he's been busy recording vocal songs for an unannounced project. He mentions two tracks were recorded yesterday, with the ending theme song and a bonus track with a new vocalist being planned for tomorrow. He also mentions that the vocalist was selected from an internal audition, and there're more vocal tracks to record for the rest of the week. Could this be for P4 Fes? Or is Atlus planning on using the same style of music for this DS project? I'm more inclined to believe that he's working on P4 Fes, since this sounds exactly like the type of soundtrack the new Persona games have - ones filled with vocal tracks.

Yaweee

I think it's the SMT DS using the EO engine that was hinted at before. The EO engine doesn't need much work to SMTify it, and the probable release date would make the development time just about that of EO2 if it's made by the same team.

And who knows, it could also play into the 'Prison Tokyo' rumor from a while back. It looks like some sort of portal lingering over a city, so the plot could be that the inhabitants of a city get stuck (imprisoned) in a parallel universe (which was also kind of the plot of Megami Ibunroku Persona).

It's nice to see Atlus hammering out the SMT games, if this really counts as one.

Yaweee said:
I think it's the SMT DS using the EO engine that was hinted at before. The EO engine doesn't need much work to SMTify it, and the probable release date would make the development time just about that of EO2 if it's made by the same team.

Sweet lord, I hope so. That would make my day/week/year.

And so the waiting for actual info begins :/

If it's repurposing the EO engine I just hope that Atlus takes the time to animate the enemy sprites. I love the speed of the EO combat system but if DQIV can have some wonderfully animated enemies and retain its speed so can the next Etrian Odyssey or whatever this game turns out to be.

duckroll

jaundicejuice said:
If it's repurposing the EO engine I just hope that Atlus takes the time to animate the enemy sprites. I love the speed of the EO combat system but if DQIV can have some wonderfully animated enemies and retain its speed so can the next Etrian Odyssey or whatever this game turns out to be.

That would.... cost money! You do realize this is the same developer that has been using largely the same enemy models for all the 3D games since 2003 right? :lol

Delio

Well i cant wait to see what comes of this. Next famitsu yes? I will be waiting for details with open arms!

duckroll said:
http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/718

Meguro updated his creator's blog today and mentions that this week he's been busy recording vocal songs for an unannounced project. He mentions two tracks were recorded yesterday, with the ending theme song and a bonus track with a new vocalist being planned for tomorrow. He also mentions that the vocalist was selected from an internal audition, and there're more vocal tracks to record for the rest of the week. Could this be for P4 Fes? Or is Atlus planning on using the same style of music for this DS project? I'm more inclined to believe that he's working on P4 Fes, since this sounds exactly like the type of soundtrack the new Persona games have - ones filled with vocal tracks.
If a P4f exists, I doubt they're recording this many new songs... How many new songs were added in P3f?

duckroll

Nibelung Valesti said:
If a P4f exists, I doubt they're recording this many new songs... How many new songs were added in P3f?

P3Fes got a full hour long 17 track OST, with a handful of them having vocals, which is what we have come to expect from P3/P4 BGM. P4 has even more vocal BGMs than P3 did, so the expansion having more is no surprise.

Aeana

Scans finally showed up.

Another SRPG spinoff with crappy art. :| But I have to admit that the battle screens look interesting.

Aeana

At least it has some new demon designs.

It sounds like The World Ends With You in concept, though. 7 day time limit? :\

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looking at the scans - it doesn`t really look like a s-rpg..... reminds me a bit of P2.

Top Bottom