• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AVGN episode was done in one take!! No time? Muh kids? Not today!!

SpiceRacz

I recently rewatched all of James' stuff. He holds up. Like, his super early stuff has some cringy humor but he's so genuine that it's hard to get put off. The way he gets better at making those episodes and more ambitious as he goes on is very endearing.

Yep. I still find myself going back and watching stuff like the Friday the 13th/Elm Street episodes and the 4-part Castlevania Retrospective pretty regularly. I don't think there's any question the newer stuff isn't up to the same standard though. Still, Cinemassacre has been remarkably consistent.

smbu2000

I loved his Fear and Loathing in Vegas Stakes video.
I had just rewatched the movie like a month prior so it was very fresh in my mind.
Probably won’t make any sense if you’ve never seen it/read the book.

Emedan

Just recently started getting some of his episodes in recommended . I watched AVGN all the time 10 years ago and was big fan. I've noticed just these past days with some non AVGN videos that James really isn't much of a gamer, even the retro stuff like SMB3 he's pretty crappy at - seems like Mike is the real gamer between the two to be honest. Agreed that the 3DO episode felt more like the old ones though which was nice.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The Darkman episode was great too, definitely had his classic era vibe. I'll always be a fan but yea, the quality has dropped a bit in recent years.

Ahh the ignorant guy lying about consoles that aren't Nintendo acting like he did research making his fans believe he's knowledgeable.

But I guess if you were a kid in the early internet he and dsp were funny.

Ozzie666

The best thing he and his crew have done in the last few years is the 'mighty wings' song or whatever, with street fighter.
That was excellent.

JSoup

Banned
Ahh the ignorant guy lying about consoles that aren't Nintendo acting like he did research making his fans believe he's knowledgeable.

But I guess if you were a kid in the early internet he and dsp were funny.

tenor.gif

UnNamed

Banned
The reason why I still like AVGN is he's always not too serious, he pretends to be angry but in a way he is clearly ridiculous and exaggerated.
That's why I find Angry Joe and similar just annoying and embarrassing, they put too much effort on being angry.

Nickolaidas

The reason why I still like AVGN is he's always not too serious, he pretends to be angry but in a way he is clearly ridiculous and exaggerated.
That's why I find Angry Joe and similar just annoying and embarrassing, they put too much effort on being angry.
Based on the latest video, he seems to be toning down on the anger a lot, and just goes 'now that's some weird shit' when he encounters stupidity or plain weirdness in those old games.

D3RANG3D

Anybody feel like this is the last episode, well you can tell his heart isn't in it anymore and the people who produce the show are awful so I can't say I would be too heartbroken if that was the case.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Anybody feel like this is the last episode, well you can tell his heart isn't in it anymore and the people who produce the show are awful so I can't say I would be too heartbroken if that was the case.
He just needs to stop overthinking things. There's no shortage of awful games, just play them and record some dumb commentary, that's what made his old videos so funny back in the day.

Aesius

James has wanted to drop AVGN for close to a decade. He was banking on the AVGN Movie being his ticket to feature film director and obviously that didn’t work out. He’s still stuck doing the character because he’s got no other projects that pull in nearly as many views or ad dollars.

I have not loved a lot of his AVGN content for a while, but he tries and it is not cringey like, say, Doug Walker.

I want to see James and Mike Matei (the latter more for leh outrage lulz) go onto RLM for some horror BotW. James has kind of done that with his friends already, but I'd love to see him interact with RLM Mike, Jay, and Rich. Especially Rich.
Yea I now exactly what you mean. RLM does sort of feel lie the old days of AVGN. You can tell that James just doesn't really have the time to put passion into his videos anymore and just basically makes the, for money and the fans who enjoy it now.

On a side note I used to see Bad Luck Bootsy walking by my work and while I would try to say hello he would just ignore me. So he was kind of a dick.

jaysius

Banned
James has wanted to drop AVGN for close to a decade. He was banking on the AVGN Movie being his ticket to feature film director and obviously that didn’t work out. He’s still stuck doing the character because he’s got no other projects that pull in nearly as many views or ad dollars.
He was great in the early days when few people were doing lucid content and characters on youtube, at least obvious characters, now everyone still is a character, don't get confused there, but it's less obvious.

Now so many people are bitching about video games it's hard for him to stand out. He REALLY lost me when he started doing stupid shit like "pooping" on bug bunny and wearing a power glove to "fight" video game baddies, all that shit is just cringe to the max.

Nickolaidas

He was great in the early days when few people were doing lucid content and characters on youtube, at least obvious characters, now everyone still is a character, don't get confused there, but it's less obvious.

Now so many people are bitching about video games it's hard for him to stand out. He REALLY lost me when he started doing stupid shit like "pooping" on bug bunny and wearing a power glove to "fight" video game baddies, all that shit is just cringe to the max.
So, by 'early days' do you mean his first three episodes? Because the stupid shit you're talking about are literally in his first couple of seasons.

Aesius

So, by 'early days' do you mean his first three episodes? Because the stupid shit you're talking about are literally in his first couple of seasons.
I remember being a bit turned off by the skit-heavy episodes in the early days. The shorter ones were fine but he went really heavy on it in a few episodes and they were certainly cringe. Still, AVGN 2006-2011 or so was consistently great. The last good episode was Earthbound IMO, and it's probably top 5 for the entire series.

Nickolaidas

I remember being a bit turned off by the skit-heavy episodes in the early days. The shorter ones were fine but he went really heavy on it in a few episodes and they were certainly cringe. Still, AVGN 2006-2011 or so was consistently great. The last good episode was Earthbound IMO, and it's probably top 5 for the entire series.
I have an equal number between old episodes and 'newer' episodes as my faves. Sure, the Ninja Gaiden, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, and Friday 13th ones are awesome, but I equally liked Seaman, Hong Kong 97 and Big Rigs.

Azurro

Banned
Hey, the Chex episode was pretty good as well. I had no idea that game existed.

Another recent good one is the Trespasser Jurassic Park one. I still find those dino suits amusing. :)

Last edited:
James has been phoning it in for a while now. Unless the subject matter is very dear to him he has no charisma in his sketches anymore. Back when Mike was writing his material and always there with him making episodes at least there was heart in the things they produced.

DryvBy

I've been a long time fan, but I gotta say his videos have been pretty shitty lately. The Trespasser video was awful even though he seemed to put a lot of effort into it. I guess the effort was put in the wrong place, too much cringe, not enough game. I think that vid was like 25 minutes too. This one looks like garbage too.

Someone should start an A"AVGN"VN (angry "angry video game nerd" video nerd) video and review his videos the same way he reviews the complete dog turds of games he reviews.

Actually watched most of this over a few days. Mostly solid video other than the section on the nerd movie. At one point it becomes a scene by scene breakdown of why the movie sucks that goes on for an hour and a half. Completely superfluous. The last half hour or so was also a bit of a slog.

I really dislike him. He's basically the Wiis target audience.
Yeah, I don't understand Scot The Woz's appeal. I've tried watching a few videos, but something about the guy annoys the hell out of me.

Top Bottom