• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Banjo-Kazooie or Conker May Be Revealed At E3 2019

CyberPanda

Banned
E3 is less than a month away, which means it's officially pre-E3 silly season, where the gaming industry is flooded with rumors, reports, leaks, teases, and speculation. The latest bit that has everyone talking involves two IP from yesteryear: Banjo-Kazooie and Conker. So, what's the hooplah all about? Well, First 4 Figures -- a UK/Hong Kong-based toy and model company that makes collectibles and merchandise for many video game series -- has been invited by Rare to attend Microsoft's E3 2019 conference. Recently, First 4 Figures released both Conker and Banjo-Kazooiecollectibles, both of which are Rare IP. That said, some parts of the Internet find it interesting that Rare invited them to the conference, and believe this could suggest either a new Conker game will be revealed during the show or the long-rumored new Banjo-Kazooie will rear its head.

Of course, this is a bit of a stretch, but there's something to it. It's interesting that Rare invited First 4 Figures to the show, but not particularly peculiar. Rare has worked with First 4 Figures in the past, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that this is nothing more than a congenial gesture. But why is Rare inviting anyone in the first place? Isn't that Microsoft's job? If so, why did Rare tap Microsoft to get First 4 Figures invited unless it was going to reveal something that would involve First 4 Figures? Who knows. Unfortunately, all we can do is speculate.

New Banjo Kazooie or Conker game to be revealed at Microsoft’s E3 2019 briefing? First 4 Figures has been invited by Rare to attend the conference, they recently made statues for both Conker and Banjo. #E32019pic.twitter.com/6mlhwHsEA9
— Spyro Universe 💎 (@SpyroUniverse) May 16, 2019
As you may know, 3D platformers have been making a bit of a comeback recently after a long absence from the industry. Between remakes and new indie releases, the genre has been resurrected and there's a lot nostalgic-driven demand for the platformers of old to return, some of which have, but others like Conker and Banjo-Kazooie, are still seemingly waiting for their turns. Of these two series, Banjo-Kazooie is undoubtedly the more likely to return, simply because it was and still is much more popular than Conker ever has been.

Anyway, as always, feel free to leave a comment letting us know what you think or, alternatively, hit me up on Twitter @Tyler_Fischer_ and let me know over there. Would you like to see either of these two series return?

Bullet Club

EWBueAt.gif

I'd love for a real Banjo Threeie finally.

I never did play Nuts and Bolts, is it worth bothering with over a decade later?

I'm not sure if Conker really makes sense anymore in today's world, spoofing what it not as popular a genre anymore, not to mention people's hypersensitivity over humor, but I'd still love to see him back.

Last edited:
Xbox can't afford to have breadcrumbs in terms of exclusives. They need to hit hard next gen or they will lose the generation for the fourth time in a row.

Speaking of Rare, I'm really loving the new direction they're taking with Sea of Thieves :messenger_heart: it definitely gives me nostalgic vibes from the PS2/Xbox era!

CyberPanda

Banned

I never did play Nuts and Bolts, is it worth bothering with over a decade later?

I'm not sure if Conker really makes sense anymore in today's world, spoofing what it not as popular a genre anymore, not to mention people's hypersensitivity over humor, but I'd still love to see him back.
Yea, it’s pretty fun. Check it out sometime.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd love both, but I expect Battletoads figurines.

Mista

Banned
Rare isn’t the Rare we used to know. I’d like to have both but if I must pick one then I’ll go with Banjo

Yoshi

Rare isn’t the Rare we used to know. I’d like to have both but if I must pick one then I’ll go with Banjo
The genius who designed all the levels in Banjo-Kazooie (Gregg Mayles) is still there. If he were working on Banjo-Threeie, I'd be absolutely certain we'd end up with a magnificient game.

Mista

Banned
The genius who designed all the levels in Banjo-Kazooie (Gregg Mayles) is still there. If he were working on Banjo-Threeie, I'd be absolutely certain we'd end up with a magnificient game.
Yes Greggy is still there but Gregg alone can’t do all the greatness. I believe in him and still do though

Yoshi

Yes Greggy is still there but Gregg alone can’t do all the greatness. I believe in him and still do though
No, but what made Banjo-Kazooie so super special was the perfect level design - which was his work. Rare is a competent developer, if Gregg does the level design or supervises it strictly enough, I am sure it would end up being, at the very least, a great game.

Mista

Banned
No, but what made Banjo-Kazooie so super special was the perfect level design - which was his work. Rare is a competent developer, if Gregg does the level design or supervises it strictly enough, I am sure it would end up being, at the very least, a great game.
Yup, definitely. I just hope either a new Banjo or Conker really exists to begin with

Yoshi

Yup, definitely. I just hope either a new Banjo or Conker really exists to begin with
It is not likely, Mayles was unaware of any new Banjo projects only few months ago. He could be lying, of course, but he could just as easily not have aid anything at all about that like he (probably) usually does.

Rodolink

I totally recommend it, its very fun and challenging, every level is kind of a physics based puzzle that you solve building vehicles. You can do pretty much whatever you imagine with the editor. Personally I dont like building stuff inside games but the world, music and characters was enough for me to keep playing it. I think its underrated just because it didnt follow the platformer formula of the previous games, but is a good game by its own.

Man, as much as I loved the Banjo and Conker games, I don't see them coming to this generation without a major overhaul and redesign.

I disagree there, they're both designed in a way that hasn't been used much lately outside of a few key games. A better version of Yooka-Layle would be awesome, it offers something different than what we get bombarded with. The core design of that game was never the issue, it looked like shit and it performed like ass, outside of that there was a lot of potential. And what's the closest comparison we have to Conker? Pre-BOTW 3D Zelda? There's definitely a lot of space for that.

Saber

Gold Member
It would be crazy if true. Not saying that I have faith on them making these games, but it would be excelent news regardless. Those games are relics.

JimiNutz

Banned
Conker and Banjo could appear in the same game maybe? They could make a funny comedy team since Banjo is well-mannered and easy going and would contrast with Conker quite well.

They could then make a kart racer featuring them both as well.

iconmaster

Banned
Banjo fans greatly overestimate the audience for that game type on Xbox and those particular characters. If we mean the 3D collect-a-thons, many folks who are now in their late 20s weren't old enough to play video games when the last one came out.

Sonic has at least continued to stay mildly relevant through regular game releases.

Banjo fans greatly overestimate the audience for that game type on Xbox and those particular characters. If we mean the 3D collect-a-thons, many folks who are now in their late 20s weren't old enough to play video games when the last one came out.

Sonic has at least continued to stay mildly relevant through regular game releases.

quite accurate.

Idk how much of an audience there is regardless of age after such a long off period for the franchise, but your time table is off. I'm 26 and Banjo Kazooie was right in the sweet spot of childhood N64 gaming for me. People who are now in their late 20's are probably the ones with the most nostalgia for the franchise.

There's only so much that one person could do. Banjo was more than one person, it was about the charm of the characters. If they can get that down then they could make any classic Rare game they wanted to.

Sea of Thieves has drastically approved, although it should have been this way at launch. I'd say that it deserves at least recognition as a great Rare game with a lot of charm and love/care being well-thought-out and included.

As another user said, your time table is off, I'm 29 and played both Banjos.

Top Bottom