• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman Comic Features the Joker Helping an Evil Trump and Greta Thunberg in Heroic Role

brap

Banned
This is so hecking epic...
Huffpost reports as the 2020 presidential election heats up in the universe of comics, a not-so-savory character has joined Donald Trump’s campaign: the Joker.

DC Comics’ brand new “Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child” has both the Joker and supervillain Darkseid working to elect a man referred to as the Governor, who has the face of President Trump.

Trump isn’t named in the comic, but his image appears on a number of pages — and the comic character’s speaking style mimics the president’s (“You’re gonna love it! I’m talking streets so safe you can let your kids go play and not even think about ’em!”). The Joker’s American flag jacket also sports the same infamous message that appeared on Melania’s coat last year: “I Really Don’t Care, Do U?”

Climate change activist Greta Thunberg makes a cameo appearance among a group of protesters.

The comic, created by Frank Miller and drawn by Rafael Grampá, presents a new generation of characters — the children of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batwoman — as they battle to thwart the dark duo’s scheme backing Trump, who turns out to be a puppet of the Joker.

joker-trump-4a.jpg

greta.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Need to see the whole plot, can’t just assume it’s anti-Trump, pro-leftist just because of what’s presented here. It’s art, it’s not black and white, just like life. You would be doing yourself and everyone around you a disservice to see the world that way.

brap

Banned
Need to see the whole plot, can’t just assume it’s anti-Trump, pro-leftist just because of what’s presented here. It’s art, it’s not black and white, just like life. You would be doing yourself and everyone around you a disservice to see the world that way.
What more do you need to see?

God Enel

Aren’t like the dems more like the loony joker? 🤔 so Dems helping trump means democrats = Republicans. It’s all the same 🤯

Stitch

Gold Member
Was this really made by Miller or did they just slap his name on it? He always seemed like a guy who would like Trump.

brap

Banned

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So dumb. Way to date the comic. Also, I never like a comic set in the "real world" I want escapism in my fantasy.

plushyp

Out of continuity nonsense written by a writer/artist way past his prime. Can be safely ignored as weird ramblings.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
To be fair the original Dark Knight Returns riffed on Reagan and no one seemed bothered by it. Why is this any different?

Miller almost certainly is liberal. He’s just old school liberal. But I think he says and does things just to get a reaction out of his readers.

Like right now.

GreyHorace

Nothing we haven't seen Frank Miller. Except back when he wrote The Dark Knight Returns he was at the top of his game.

Now? He's a joke (no pun intended). I think All Star Batman and Holy Terror are proof enough of how off the rails he's become in recent years. To see this once great comic talent fall has been tragic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I was on the fence about Trump, but once I saw a fictional comic villain throwing in his support for him, I just couldn't in good conscience support the president. Joker thinks he can get Trump reelected, but he doesn't realize that it will just make Trump's reputation worse. lol checkmate Legion of Doom. Thanks DC for including this important political message in your comics to help me understand.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of Dark Knight Returns and Sin City.... but everything post 2001 has been weird. I gave up on him a long time ago.

I’m not the one assuming he’s now woke. My point was that’s a big jump to make.

I wasn't. I was asking a question. I don't know Frank and regardless of his political views in the past, from my experience, people change their views all the time for different reasons.

Last edited:

Doom85

People being surprised by this is fucking hilarious. I mean, it is surprising that Frank Miller is left-leaning now (although that's debatable, I mean it is possible for a right-leaning person to think Trump sucks) considering it wasn't too long ago he wrote a pretty heavily anti-Muslim comic. But having just said that, it's the acting surprised he would put politics in his comic. Not only has he done that before since the beginning and escalated it since, he made Batman a crazy asshole who is abusive to a 12 year old kid who just lost his parents and slams Alfred against a wall when Alfred dares to object, of course this crazy motherfucker is going to pull something like this. I highly it even happened for the reasons some here suspect, more likely somebody was like, "yo Frank, you talked a little smack about Reagan in The Dark Knight Returns*, but in this day and age of the Internet and such I bet you wouldn't dare go after a current President!" And Frank was all, "hold my beer, wait, HOLD ALL MY BEERS."

*a detail I bet quite a few normies don't know or forgot, tends to happen when people go, "when did this shit ever happen in comics?!" but really don't read that much of them or know the history

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The Joker and Thanos team up? I wouldn't have thought that is possible anymore since Disney bought Marvel.

I actually like that flag suit on the Joker.

It's probably a dumb comic. But the new movie was somewhat political, and a new angle for the Joker as leader of a mass political movement. Tying it directly to Trump is unnecessary. Could have just had Joker run for office and it might be an interesting storyline.

People being surprised by this is fucking hilarious. I mean, it is surprising that Frank Miller is left-leaning now (although that's debatable, I mean it is possible for a right-leaning person to think Trump sucks) considering it wasn't too long ago he wrote a pretty heavily anti-Muslim comic. But having just said that, it's the acting surprised he would put politics in his comic. Not only has he done that before since the beginning and escalated it since, he made Batman a crazy asshole who is abusive to a 12 year old kid who just lost his parents and slams Alfred against a wall when Alfred dares to object, of course this crazy motherfucker is going to pull something like this. I highly it even happened for the reasons some here suspect, more likely somebody was like, "yo Frank, you talked a little smack about Reagan in The Dark Knight Returns*, but in this day and age of the Internet and such I bet you wouldn't dare go after a current President!" And Frank was all, "hold my beer, wait, HOLD ALL MY BEERS."

*a detail I bet quite a few normies don't know or forgot, tends to happen when people go, "when did this shit ever happen in comics?!" but really don't read that much of them or know the history
Frank Miller's been doing vaguely political themes since the very start, and he's neither "right-leaning" nor "left-leaning", he's merely "controversy leaning". Everything he does is to sell comics, so all of his "political views" aren't so much views as branded nonsense which makes people say "Oh fuck what did that crazy Frank Miller do THIS TIME" and buy comics. He's not so much crazy as he is crazy like a fox, if you know what I mean.

Also....

All the dialogue he writes....

Somehow manages to read like this....

He tries way too hard....

With being edgy.

You see, he's doing it on purpose.

So he can get more people to buy his comics.

He's not controversial because he holds any particular view...

Unless you consider a particular view to be making money.

Are you stupid? Are you retarded or something? He's the Goddamn Frank Miller.

Gargus

Banned
So dumb. Way to date the comic. Also, I never like a comic set in the "real world" I want escapism in my fantasy.

Same here. I utterly despise real world politics, trends and such in games, comics and movies. It really turns me off and it make me stop being involved in whatever it is. I get too much real life in my life as it is, I watch movies, play games, read to get away from the real world for a while.

I used to watch a series called masters of horror for example. One episode dead american soldiers were coming back to life as zombies so they could vote. I turned it off and never watched anymore episodes of it ever again. Wife and I got good boys from netflix last week and we laughed some but as soon as the boys spied on some older girls with a drone they lost the drone and the girls didn't give it back because "that's what happens when you dont respect women" and there started to be this heavy tone reoccurring in the movie as if it were all a lesson about toxic masculinity in like 13 year old boys. We both hated reality being brought up so much and we rejected the disc and returned it.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I'm not even gonna try quoting on mobile.
Tl;Dr joker and Darkseid try to get orange man elected because they are villains and of course they want orange man bad as president
What if it’s meant as a weird kind of irony and we can’t really see it yet

Top Bottom