• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metro is fine to me if its just one map in a rotation of six or more maps at 100% tickets

Arica Harbor Base 1. Attackers could collapse the left base housing the Mcom - and attackers could tank shell the left MCom from out of Bounds for the defenders. No way to c4, or mine. It was un-defendable. High level BC2 stat padders sat in rounds like this for 45+ minutes racking up points until deciding to move the bases forward. BC2 was riddled with bases like this. BC2 was an experiment for online multiplayer destruction and it was unbalanced as hell in higher level play.

i remember GAF came up against this strat. we would either use C4 quads to take out the 'attacking' tank and then just push up the hill until we were killing them in their base, or we would just destroy the crate ourselves and they would have to move up.

RoKKeR

DICE seems to be doing everything right with BF4 (commander mode, 5 man squads, 64 players finally on consoles, etc) I couldn't be happier in almost every area, but still having only 4 classes is my biggest beef. Being that there are higher player counts - roles need to me more splintered. I hate that BF3/4 engineer both kills and repairs vehicles - should be a split like BF2, you should have to choose one or the other. Anti-tank class and a separate engineer class should have made a return. A medic and assault split makes sense too. Im wondering if this has to do with BF4 still being on current gen, with its 24 player count max.

So funny BC2 still gets so much praise (in the same way BC1 got all the praise post BC2 I suppose). Fully destructible maps ruined balance, esp in rush where you could eliminate the attackers' entire cover on maps like Base 1 of Valdez. Also in BC2 Rush, collapsible buildings with objectives made some bases un-defendable. Teams would just sit there and play deathmatch for 20 minutes - then easily collapse the objective buildings. It was a huge flaw and waste of time.

The over simplified gameplay/gunplay of BC2 was pretty lackluster too. Not being able to take cover behind a waist high fence because you physically could not go prone was stupid. Good riddance to the BC series - they were fun diversions for their time but I'm glad the real deal is back. BC will probably come back at some point but Stockholm DICE will likely never make it again.
Yep, I love BC2 with all of my gaming heart but it's a chore to go back to. Feels sluggish and slow.

Also, here's a quote about Levolution from the recent BFBlog post:

You’ve probably already seen what it can do to skyscrapers but it also includes features like changing weather conditions that affects visibility, car alarms and metal detectors alerting players of enemy presence, or the ability to completely shroud a building in darkness and take out the enemies within using your IRNV scopes.

Changing weather conditions...please let this .gif be in multiplayer.

untitled-1p9ule.gif

Martian

It bugs me people compare it to BC2 while all I wanted for BF3 to be like bloody BF2.
Feels much more like BC than BF2

Perhaps I liked BF2 for the wrong reasons

It bugs me people compare it to BC2 while all I wanted for BF3 to be like bloody BF2.

Perhaps I liked BF2 for the wrong reasons

i think it's quite humorous.

people upset because it's not enough like BF2.

people upset because it's not enough like BC2.

DICE can't win!

RoKKeR

you can't make a game for everyone right. there will always be a nay sayer

Especially considering how much the audience has grown for each progressive BF title. DICE simply isn't used to having almost 20 million people buy their games.

Arica Harbor Base 1. Attackers could collapse the left base housing the Mcom - and attackers could tank shell the left MCom from out of Bounds for the defenders. No way to c4, or mine. It was un-defendable. High level BC2 stat padders sat in rounds like this for 45+ minutes racking up points until deciding to move the bases forward. BC2 was riddled with bases like this. BC2 was an experiment for online multiplayer destruction and it was unbalanced as hell in higher level play.

I mean, maybe I'm not super leet, but I had an active clan and kept up. Yea, the right one is easy, the left one is not, usually the attackers bit the try hard bait and tried to snipe, and I have made so many points on vehicles trying to run up that highway and tripping a mine in a pothole. Snipers on top of the cage can mortar nearly in the attackers base. I dunno, I just know I'd rather defend there instead.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Precisely this. There's no point to making BC3 when BF3 already built upon BC2 and BF4 looks to be doing the same.

you can't make a game for everyone right. there will always be a nay sayer

Peggle would like to have a word with you sir! But on topic, it is extremely difficult to make everyone happy. Anything you have taken the time to learn and be decent at comes as a shock to the system when anything is changed. I remember the grenade arc in reach messing with my game for a good while.. it nearly destroyed me :(

I've never played a Battlefield game before, can someone give me a crash course on how it differs from CoD? I know about vehicles and map destruction, but I hear it requires more teamwork to play effectively. That makes me wonder if maybe it's harder to enjoy when playing online with randoms.

Still looking for some more insight on this.

RoKKeR

I've never played a Battlefield game before, can someone give me a crash course on how it differs from CoD? I know about vehicles and map destruction, but I hear it requires more teamwork to play effectively. That makes me wonder if maybe it's harder to enjoy when playing online with randoms.

Scale is the biggest change you'll notice when transitioning from CoD. Maps are huge and there are more players, so matches are never really as focussed as they are in CoD. (for good reason) BF is most certainly a team oriented game, but it never feels forced or even necessary, whether that be for better or worse. Teamwork comes naturally, and the class system urges you to do more than just shoot guys; you'll be dropping supply packs, reviving friends, spotting enemies, etc., it's all a part of the game and you'll find you and other players naturally working together.

I play almost all of my BF by myself and I never really find my enjoyment being hindered by randoms. Yes there are some lemons and idiots but that's true of many multiplayer games; you can get by on your own just fine and a lot of times, you'll find yourself becoming more invested in your team/squadmates than in CoD. Essentially, BF encourages teamplay and rewards you when you work together much more so than most other MP games.

Pitmonkey

Still looking for some more insight on this.

Maps - They are huge - some of the out door maps easily 15 times the size of the largest Call of Duty map.

Destruction - truly makes the maps dynamic. You can make your own pathways through walls if you choose, bring destruction down on enemies by shooting a building with an RPG, ect.

Classes - Not really "create-a-class" like CoD - You get four class options, each that plays it's own roll, has access to it's own equipment and weapons. These classes force teammates to work together as one class may suit one situation, but not another.

Health regeneration - Remember those class options? Only a medic can throw down a "med pack" to regen your health at a rate even remotely close to Call of Duty. With out a medic thrown these down, your health takes longer to regen, dictating how you play.

Guns - They have recoil, bullet drop/spread and actual weight to them.

Vehicles - Basically the "kill streaks" in a sense. A good tank team can run an entire match. Like wise, a good Jet or Heli crew could easily dominate.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Another huge difference from CoD is that bullets are actual projectiles... and therefore you have to lead your targets when they're moving at range and compensate for bullet drop.

Bullet velocity is a huge factor in BF and actually has a "feeling", something I never experienced in CoD.

Precisely this. There's no point to making BC3 when BF3 already built upon BC2 and BF4 looks to be doing the same.

Eh, until I see more destruction on a micro level I'll still be blamoring for BC3.

Maybe BF4 has it but I'm skepticle. If they haven't shown it by now I have to doubt it being there at all.

zulfate

If you have a PS Plus membership I think BF3 is still "free" via that service.

Been playing bf3 on pc only with high graphics, i went to my brothers house and he had it on ps3 and i just couldnt deal with it my god it was bad. I think COD wins because it runs well on console but next gen is going to change that so i am happy for battlefield on consoles again! Still miss my bad company :(

Been playing bf3 on pc only with high graphics, i went to my brothers house and he had it on ps3 and i just couldnt deal with it my god it was bad. I think COD wins because it runs well on console but next gen is going to change that so i am happy for battlefield on consoles again! Still miss my bad company :(

Oh I totally agree about the console graphics part. I'm not bashing consoles and I don't want to sound too much like a graphics nerd (though I am) but I play the game on my high-end PC for the most part. When BF3 hit PS Plus, I downloaded it to see the difference and it was so awful. It looked like crap, it ran like crap, and it seemed buggier.

On the other hand, I have several friends that only played it on console and they're pleased with how the game looks, so more power to them. I think they'll really be blown away when they see it on next-gen consoles.

Mahonay

Banned
Oh I totally agree about the console graphics part. I'm not bashing consoles and I don't want to sound too much like a graphics nerd (though I am) but I play the game on my high-end PC for the most part. When BF3 hit PS Plus, I downloaded it to see the difference and it was so awful. It looked like crap, it ran like crap, and it seemed buggier.

On the other hand, I have several friends that only played it on console and they're pleased with how the game looks, so more power to them. I think they'll really be blown away when they see it on next-gen consoles.
I know it looks like shit and runs like shit, but I still have a ton of fun with the 360 version of BF3. I simply don't have a gaming rig to play on.

And yes, I am PUMPED for the PS4 version of Battlefield 4. It's going to be such a massive improvement compared to what I'm playing now on current consoles. I have my bundle pre-ordered and ready to go.

I know it looks like shit and runs like shit, but I still have a ton of fun with the 360 version of BF3. I simply don't have a gaming rig to play on.

And yes, I am PUMPED for the PS4 version of Battlefield 4. It's going to be such a massive improvement compared to what I'm playing now on current consoles. I have my bundle pre-ordered and ready to go.

Sorry if I gave the wrong idea, I really wasn't trying to make it sound like consoles are crap or anything, I was just surprised at how big the difference was. But that's really going to make the jump to next-gen that much more special for console gamers.

Mahonay

Banned
Sorry if I gave the wrong idea, I really wasn't trying to make it sound like consoles are crap or anything, I was just surprised at how big the difference was. But that's really going to make the jump to next-gen that much more special for console gamers.
The gap between current consoles and high end PCs is pretty huge at this point. Makes sense that there's a pretty big difference in quality with a scalable game like BF3.

And I absolutely agree. The shift over to next-gen consoles is going to be a lot more exciting for people like myself that do all of their gaming on current consoles. For us it will be a very noticeable improvement, as opposed to a PC gamer that currently has a decent rig. Finding the silver lining in not being a part of the PC master race.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Better than having 5 Support people staying behind. This was specially annoying when it was 12 people in a single team.

It's probably going to be like the Bad Company 1 mortar strike, which I don't mind at all (specially since it had a long reload time).

"Campaign will be more character driven and emotional"

Oh god, they still don't get it. Please, I don't care about your awful character writing just make a campaign of epic set-pieces and I will be content.

"Campaign will be more character driven and emotional"

Oh god, they still don't get it. Please, I don't care about your awful character writing just make a campaign of epic set-pieces and I will be content.
I'd rather have as little set pieces as possible and actually be able to utilize the vehicles and openness that was sorely missing in 3.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'd rather have as little set pieces as possible and actually be able to utilize the vehicles and openness that was sorely missing in 3.

This. BC2 was good that way sometimes. Some wide open missions so you could approach a target from multiple directions using different tools/weapons.

OG Kush

If I can run BF3 on my PC at medium to high settings (with good framerate aswell), and it still looks much better than the console versions, how can I expeect BF4 to run on my PC? Prolly look and run the same right?

Wish BF4 the destruction of BC2 and the depth of BF2. That's the perfect balance but since consoles are in the equation the game has no choice but to be dumbed down. But atleast I have Arma 3.

Wish BF4 the destruction of BC2 and the depth of BF2. That's the perfect balance but since consoles are in the equation the game has no choice but to be dumbed down. But atleast I have Arma 3.

Dumbed down in what way? Next Gen has more than enough guts to handle what DICE are targetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom