• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bayonetta info coming this week

Alx

I loved Bayonetta, both the game and the character. But I don't know how I would feel about a sequel / spinoff.
I feel that everything about Bayonetta has been said, there's no need to bring her back, but on another side I don't think other characters would be as likeable (even Jeanne doesn't have the same vamp attitude).
And it would be hard to top the "over-the-top-ness" of the first episode. A prequel during the witch hunt could be interesting, but it cannot be as spectacular as the finale in the original game.

Still, the gameplay is great and it would be a shame not to develop it further. Maybe that's the only thing they should keep, that and the visual style too, but completely change the universe, and characters, and everything.

Rtas

Personally I cannot wait for this the original bayonetta was great, it was a return to the sort of gameplay where you'd face each enemy multiple times, with the sort of arcade style constant shooting/ puzzle solving fun. While an 8 bit version would be ace, I'm looking forward to another xbox game, perhaps you get to play as the guy? His grappling hook is awesome.

Mar said:
I have a pole already for this game.

I still have a pole from the demo last year. It's documented on GAF.

Possibilities

Full version of Angel Land. I'd kill for this. Kamiya, name your fucking target and I'll take care of it.

DLC of some kind. Bayonetta sold enough to warrant it even though they said they wouldn't. Extra missions, costumes and new weapons. Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!

A spinoff starring Jeane. I really don't know how much mileage they could get out of that. They should just create a whole new character and just switch the style up. The industry would appreciate a new IP.

A Bayonetta Anime. Loads of fanservice and shit getting killed and it could be used to tell a brand new story if they wanted to kind of similar to the DMC did.

A port of some kind. PC, PSP or 3DS. I don't think much else could handle all Bayonetta has to offer.

A Crossover of some kind. Sarah from VF with a Bayonetta costume, FUCK YES!!!!! The possibilities are endless on that front.

But I guess we all wait with anticipation on whatever they do. Just don't fuck up my new favorite franchise please.

Alx said:
I loved Bayonetta, both the game and the character. But I don't know how I would feel about a sequel / spinoff.
I feel that everything about Bayonetta has been said, there's no need to bring her back, but on another side I don't think other characters would be as likeable (even Jeanne doesn't have the same vamp attitude).

That's why a spin-off would be cool, you won't necessarily have to play as Bayonetta or any of the characters from the first game.

We need to play as someone of the light(would obviously be in the past since the Sages are all dead).

Blueblur1

I keep coming into this thread expecting the news to have been announced but apparently that has not happened. Stop bumping the thread, guys! >:p

K' Dash

ReXXXSoprano said:
I still have a pole from the demo last year. It's documented on GAF.

Possibilities

Full version of Angel Land. I'd kill for this. Kamiya, name your fucking target and I'll take care of it.

I was watching this on youtube, but I tought it was fanmade?

*Estaba viendo esto en youtube, pero pensé que era hecho por un fan?

TheOddOne

ReXXXSoprano said:
A spinoff starring Jeane. I really don't know how much mileage they could get out of that. They should just create a whole new character and just switch the style up. The industry would appreciate a new IP.
OHH GOWD YES
A Bayonetta Anime. Loads of fanservice and shit getting killed and it could be used to tell a brand new story if they wanted to kind of similar to the DMC did.
Please, no. For the love of god, no!

Jintor

Kind of divided on the animes front, but I would much, much rather a game.

Rexxx, isn't Bayonetta in itself a new IP? :lol

Don

I've said it before, but if they do make a spin-off they should make a God Hand style game with Rodin as the main character.

K' Dash said:
I was watching this on youtube, but I tought it was fanmade?

Nope. It was an April Fools Joke by Platinum Games. So even if it was a joke it's something that they could explore because the fans want it.

Jintor said:
Rexxx, isn't Bayonetta in itself a new IP? :lol

Not in my eyes. Once your game drops you're in the same boat as everybody else. Ripe for the pillaging for that made your game so good in the first place. I really think the world should be without her for a long while so we appreciate it more when she comes back. That's why I'd just love some DLC so we can explore Bayonetta even further rather than try to rush into a sequel. We call that Viewtiful Joe 2 Syndrome.

And GAF doesn't wanna see a Bayonetta anime? Just imagine in your head for a second how much that would kick ass. I'm doing it now and I'm at pole again.

ReXXXSoprano said:
Not in my eyes. Once your game drops you're in the same boat as everybody else. Ripe for the pillaging for that made your game so good in the first place. I really think the world should be without her for a long while so we appreciate it more when she comes back. That's why I'd just love some DLC so we can explore Bayonetta even further rather than try to rush into a sequel. We call that Viewtiful Joe 2 Syndrome.

And GAF doesn't wanna see a Bayonetta anime? Just imagine in your head for a second how much that would kick ass. I'm doing it now and I'm at pole again.

Everyone wanted to see a Devil May Cry anime and yeah we all know how that turned out :/

Zengar

Don said:
I've said it before, but if they do make a spin-off they should make a God Hand style game with Rodin as the main character.

Nah, new space shooter with Rodin as a main char. Bald space marine Rodin !

Phoenix Fang said:
Everyone wanted to see a Devil May Cry anime and yeah we all know how that turned out :/

I loved the DMC anime. But I'm a huge fan of the series so I'll admit a little bias. But I liked that it was it's own story tied into the mythos but it's own separate thing. Looked great and lots of action as well. And bonus points for Lady and Trish.

TreIII

ReXXXSoprano said:

Definitely wouldn't mind this. Make it a full-fledged 2D game with lots of levels and all that good stuff, and I think it could sell well as either a downloadable or even retail, if we're lucky.

Well, we already know that Jeanne is actually the one that Kamiya himself prefers. They even gave an interesting backdrop for the character, in the form of Jeanne's heroic alter-ego, "Cutie J".

I say, utilize that aspect to the fullest, and do exactly what you're talking about as far using a "whole new character". Make a new game for Cutie J in that same universe, but doing a whole different thing separate from the whole Paradisio/Inferno/Lumen/Umbra thing. Cutie J/Jeanne gets a chance to stand on her own, and we still get more mileage from the Bayonetta engine and mythos. And hey, nothing's stopping Bayonetta herself from being a secret character you could unlock later in the game. :D

My other suggestion would be what I've been talking about since Kamiya dared to mention it many months ago: "Umbra Fighter", which sounds like a concept that could be used to turn the Bayo franchise into a Vs. fighting game.

With the fighting game genre rising again, but also in need of new franchises and a new way to do a fighting game (not to mention it being one of the few genres that Kamiya and Hashimoto haven't touched yet), I could see a spin-off that utilizes the world and the engine to interesting avail being something very nice. After all, it goes without saying that the best moments in Bayonetta were when you fighting against Jeanne
as well as the main man, Rodin, himself
. Now imagine if they were able to balance all that out for the sake of fighting against another human being who's just as capable of bad-assery themselves. That'd be something I'd look forward to, and it would be something that could warrant being released relatively soon after the original game too.

But I guess we all wait with anticipation on whatever they do. Just don't fuck up my new favorite franchise please.

True. I mean, as much as I definitely want to see more Bayo, I don't want it to suffer a similar fate to my fave franchise of last generation, which you already named through "Viewtiful Joe 2 syndrome". :lol

Ravidrath

I'm expecting something like the Bayonetta equivalent of Ninja Gaiden Sigma - improved version of the game, with new levels with a new playable character. After all, they are pretty similar games and target the same audience... if it worked for Ninja Gaiden, why wouldn't it work for Bayonetta?

Given how long it's been since the game came out and the fact that they already have all the moves in place for Jeanne, I think anything involving playable Rodin is unlikely.

I don't think I'd be surprised if it was PS3-only, with all the tricks and optimizations they've learned since the game came out while working on Vanquish. The PS3 version sold much better in Japan than the 360 version, so from Sega's point of view it may be the best use of their time to only work on that version. Sony personally helped Sega implement the install patch for the game, so there could be continued collaboration happening now.

Jintor

ReXXXSoprano said:

Ahah, point taken. Although a spin-off game with not neccessarily the same expectations is fine too?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Honestly, I think they want to do a "spin-off" becuase they like the world but feel the game would have sold better with a male lead.

A male lead would totally defeat the purpose of Bayonetta.

Jintor

Lumen Sage spin-off would be boss. I trust in Kamiya to make an awesome character regardless of other factors. Hard to top Bayonetta though.

I don't get people's insatiable love for Jeanne, but she is pretty cool. I just hate her because of her goddamn instantaneous wicked weaves in hard mode.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Honestly, I think they want to do a "spin-off" becuase they like the world but feel the game would have sold better with a male lead.

What a shitty feeling to have.

Orellio said:
...That's why it would be a spin off. ie, NOT Bayonetta.

All of the male characters in Bayonetta sucked though. Why I would want to play as any of them?

TreIII

Net_Wrecker said:
A male lead would totally defeat the purpose of Bayonetta.

Not necessarily. Especially if they go with Rexx's idea of a "different perspective" in the same world.

Imagine it if you will: there actually is ONE Lumen Sage left! Too bad he's basically an utterly useless, whiny man-baby that makes the likes of Tidus look like a DudeBro in comparison. I'm basically thinking some one along the lines of "Lester the Unlikely", who basically ends up with super powers that he has no idea how to use, has no real business having and is basically the polar opposite of the conventional "bad-ass" that Dante embodies, while Bayonetta is the "Rule 63" version of it. :lol

To me at least, Viewtiful Joe was a fairly refreshing hero because he, too, was an unlikely hero. He was basically a geeky fanboy who ended up with powers and liked to show off with them. I trust Kamiya and Hoshimoto could do something in this same vein, who wouldn't take away from Bayonetta herself in the least.

Orellio said:
...That's why it would be a spin off. ie, NOT Bayonetta.

Spin offs usually ATTEMPT to keep a similar vibe to the source title, but a male character as the protagonist would completely change the vibe of the universe IMO. Half of the wild poses, the moveset, the enemies, and the whole story in general would non-existant. I want a Bayonetta sequel/spin off, not Devil May Cry 5.

TreIII said:
Not necessarily. Especially if they go with Rexx's idea of a "different perspective" in the same world.

Imagine it if you will: there actually is ONE Lumen Sage left! Too bad he's basically an utterly useless, whiny man-baby that makes the likes of Tidus look like a DudeBro in comparison. I'm basically thinking some one along the lines of "Lester the Unlikely", who basically ends up with super powers that he has no idea how to use, has no real business having and is basically the polar opposite of the conventional "bad-ass" that Dante embodies, while Bayonetta is the "Rule 63" version of it. :lol

To me at least, Viewtiful Joe was a fairly refreshing hero because he, too, was an unlikely hero. He was basically a geeky fanboy who ended up with powers and liked to show off with them. I trust Kamiya and Hoshimoto could do something in this same vein, who wouldn't take away from Bayonetta herself in the least.

But that's not what I, personally, would want to see from a spin off. I don't want to be a wimpy upstart, especially coming off the instant dominance Bayonetta showed in the first game, supposing this actually happens.

TreIII

Net_Wrecker said:
But that's not what I, personally, would want to see from a spin off. I don't want to be a wimpy upstart, especially coming off the instant dominance Bayonetta showed in the first game, supposing this actually happens.

To me, at least, it could be a refreshing possibility. Just like "Momiji" is meant to be the one who makes Hayabusa look good, we could have a wimpy guy do something similar. :lol

Of course, Cutie J or "Umbra Fighter" would still be my ideal choices. But I consider myself open for almost anything...provided it's at least something along the lines of another game-related experience.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
PepsimanVsJoe said:
All of the male characters in Bayonetta sucked though. Why I would want to play as any of them?
The bartender was pretty cool. "Okay, I'll go kill some shit to get your new weapon, brb."

Shig said:
The bartender was okay.
Okay yeah he was decent. I'm a fan of hyperbole though so he may as well suck.

Playable character maybe but spin-off? Probably never. Maybe they could make a scenario that shows what exactly he was fighting while getting Bayo her latest weapon. Then again it'd feel really shitty unlocking weapons you can't even use.

Oreoleo

Net_Wrecker said:
Spin offs usually ATTEMPT to keep a similar vibe to the source title, but a male character as the protagonist would completely change the vibe of the universe IMO. Half of the wild poses, the moveset, the enemies, and the whole story in general would non-existant. I want a Bayonetta sequel/spin off, not Devil May Cry 5.

Fair enough but I'm not expecting this supposed spin-off to be the same genre as Bayonetta.

Same universe but basically from the ground up a different game. Like the difference between Halo Wars and Halo 3 versus Halo 3 and ODST for example. I don't think Platinum Games would put out what would basically be the same game with a male lead to make sales. They seem more like a company that will continue to make different games with different appeals rather than iterating and polishing the same game/genre over and over like a lot of high profile devs tend to do these days.

Daigoro

Shig said:
The bartender was pretty cool. "Okay, I'll go kill some shit to get your new weapon, brb."

yeah he was cool. wouldve been cool as a playable character in the original game, but i agree that a male lead for a Bayo game wouldnt really be the same.

Orellio said:
Fair enough but I'm not expecting this supposed spin-off to be the same genre as Bayonetta.

Same universe but basically from the ground up a different game. Like the difference between Halo Wars and Halo 3 versus Halo 3 and ODST for example. I don't think Platinum Games would put out what would basically be the same game with a male lead to make sales. They seem more like a company that will continue to make different games with different appeals rather than iterating and polishing the same game/genre over and over like a lot of high profile devs tend to do these days.

Maybe that's the difference. I don't want, nor expect a Halo Wars. vs Halo 3 type of spin off. It's much easier to adopt something like Halo to an RTS considering the scale and type of combat going on in that franchise. For Bayonetta, I could see a fighting game, or a side scrolling beat-em-up, but anything straying farther away from the action genre reduces my interest in a big way.

To tell you the truth, I just want an expansion. Bayonetta is as close to perfect as action games have come so far. I would pay a high price for more of it.

A new Bayonetta game that explores the "3 worlds" concept that was presented to us during the opening chapters of the game would be cool. Something fusing Zelda A Link to the Past's dark/light world concept with the "out of body" experiences in Bayonetta.

it sounds cool. Maybe it is actually a bad idea

I think exploring Inferno is a pretty natural next move for the games, but yeah I'd like to see Bayonetta 2 (or a spinoff) actually explore the three-worlds thing a good deal more, with an actual overworld (or multiple overworlds) instead of a chapter structure (score-attack feels sort of obsolete to me, personally).

badcrumble said:
I think exploring Inferno is a pretty natural next move for the games, but yeah I'd like to see Bayonetta 2 (or a spinoff) actually explore the three-worlds thing a good deal more, with an actual overworld (or multiple overworlds) instead of a chapter structure (score-attack feels sort of obsolete to me, personally).

Removing the chapter structure would kill replay value for me in the same way that the God Of War games feel too connected. No way I'd put >50 hours into Bayo if it was set up without its chapter structure.

I'm starting to feel like one of "those" fans refusing to accept any theoretical change to the original formula. :lol

I dunno maybe next time Platinum will fix the scoring system so people aren't getting 9999999999999999s across the board and letting them resume from practically every checkpoint thus making Pure Platinums a cinch*.

*In relative terms.

Jintor

Or maybe they'll let me play individual verses without having to trawl through everything before it!

Or maybe they'll give me a custom battle generator!

...a man can dream

Monocle

Ravidrath said:
I'm expecting something like the Bayonetta equivalent of Ninja Gaiden Sigma - improved version of the game, with new levels with a new playable character. After all, they are pretty similar games and target the same audience... if it worked for Ninja Gaiden, why wouldn't it work for Bayonetta?

Given how long it's been since the game came out and the fact that they already have all the moves in place for Jeanne, I think anything involving playable Rodin is unlikely.

I don't think I'd be surprised if it was PS3-only, with all the tricks and optimizations they've learned since the game came out while working on Vanquish. The PS3 version sold much better in Japan than the 360 version, so from Sega's point of view it may be the best use of their time to only work on that version. Sony personally helped Sega implement the install patch for the game, so there could be continued collaboration happening now.
This would be fantastic.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Probably has more to do with the fact that it's hard to go anywhere with such a powerful character without doing something stupid to have her conveniently lose her abilities.

Plus with a different character you can explore different fighting styles.

burgerdog

duckroll said:
THE BAYONETTA NEWS IS HERE!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/074/G007439/20100805021/

Budget re-release of Bayonetta will include Japanese trailer for Vanquish!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A SCOOP! :lol

When will you fuckers stop reading Twitter accounts?

Oh, man, people got trolled hard. I didn't partake in this thread, but checked it once a day in hopes of hearing news about a sequel or 'black' version, but that's just wow. Male lead, right, guys? :lol :lol

Top Bottom