• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New better than Wii Controller announced

nightez

Banned
So they claim. From Gamasutra.com
Named Gametrak Fusion, it uses a patent-pending ultrasonic and RF system to track the motion of a Wii-Mote-style controller, using a small base unit on the floor in front of the player. A 3D accelerometer in the controller also provides data on absolute position and orientation.

Combined together, the company claims it is both more accurate and more flexible in terms how it can be applied to games than Wii’s technology. For example, it offers better range and isn’t affected by ambient lighting conditions. Perhaps more interesting however, because the USB-based system is expected to be available for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC platforms, it will provide a potential secondary market for publishers who have developed custom games for the Wii’s hitherto unique controller system. Indeed, In2Games’ managing director Elliot Myers goes so far as to refer to Fusion as providing Wii emulation, albeit with the proviso that it’s more capable.

One example of this is the technical demonstration tennis game used at Fusion’s press unveiling in London. Compared to Wii Sports’ Tennis, the game gave a better feeling of control as you hit the ball, as well as more robust detection of topspin and slice hitting.

“Accelerometers on their own will usually max out when you swing the racket quickly,” Myers explained. “Combining them with the ultrasonic technology means we can not only track when the player swings, but also where they are on the court, the angle of the racquet as it hits the ball, and the precise arc of the swing.”

There remains some way to go until the technology is released however, with a summer/fall 2007 launch scheduled. Pricing is unconfirmed but the base unit and wand are expected to be available for less than £30 ($56).

Myers says In2Games expects to release around 20 titles over a four year period, the majority of which will be sports-related. The company had some success with an earlier wired motion controller for which it released a golf game which sold over 300,000 units.

Sports expected to be covered include tennis, baseball and golf. Each of these will be supported with a bundled add-on accessory - such as a racket or club head, which clips onto the baton-style wireless handset. Other options will be available though, with In2Games also demonstrating a Ten-pin bowling which is played with a small plastic bowling ball.

“We hope to do for sports games what Guitar Hero did for music games,” Myers said.

It won’t be limited just to sports though. Other options include gun heads, while Myers speculated Fusion’s underlying technology could even be combined with standard console controllers, to create something that could split into two pieces (one for each hand), and hence be used to provide for melee combat or climbing elements in more traditional action games.

“We’ve got the best technology, with incredible functionality allowing developers to produce exciting new games specifically for the system - taking advantage of its unique features - or to allow titles which use motion sensing to be published on any platform”, he said. “It’s an exceptional proposition - for the industry and for consumers. We can’t wait to begin showing it off.”
graphics-gametrakfusion-holder.gif

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11351

Branduil

Brilliant. It will not succeed on any system, and then Nintendo will just use similar tech for the Wii 2.0.

In fact, I'm guessing their real goal is patent money for the Wii 2.

mintosen

well, steeringwheels doesnt come as standard either, but doesnt make them less sell-able.

but I agree, its a bit limited when it doesnt come in the box, but with some strategic pr i guess it can work (and give developers lots of dev-kits, and ready-to-use code, so they atleast can make it an option)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
to save another no pack no support post (which I agree with)

I would also like to underline that this is also a third party perepheral that as to yet, isn't launching with a big game. Good luck with that.

This further underlines my belief that waggle is here to stay, all next gen controllers will support it in some fashion, and the first company to impliment a tracking system without the use of optical technology wins (figuritively).

I would expect the split controller idea to catch on as well. But really just picture the dual shock controller split in two for any company not named nintendo ;)

Edit
*actually, reading this again this reminds me of that standalon system where you plug in the tennis racket and bowling ball contoller peripherals for the different games, only not a standalone platform. forgot what it was called but I used to see it in best buy a lot.

Wait a second is this the same ****tards that made that beat up game cant remember what it was called where you had to wear gloves?

watch the videos...it's needs a freaking ground based ultrasonic emitter that, yes, captures your motion if you move off screen, but you pretty much need to be in close proximity to for it to work.

it's like a footstool you'd have to plug in and set in the middle of your room. compare that to a little stick you slap on top of your screen and i'll take the Wii thank you very much. (having not played either...I may change my opinion when I get some hands-on time)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
beebs_basic said:
it's needs a freaking ground based ultrasonic emitter

cat_039.jpg

Myers says In2Games expects to release around 20 titles over a four year period, the majority of which will be sports-related.

Sports expected to be covered include tennis, baseball and golf. Each of these will be supported with a bundled add-on accessory - such as a racket or club head, which clips onto the baton-style wireless handset. Other options will be available though, with In2Games also demonstrating a Ten-pin bowling which is played with a small plastic bowling ball.

and people were saying the wiimote was a retarded gimmick

this thing seems to be a cumbersome peripheral, not even fully realised yet, and in its present form unable to do much outside of gross-motion detection for a few select sports titles. i'd be amazed if we hear much about this in the future

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hydro_Alexis said:
Wait a second is this the same ****tards that made that beat up game cant remember what it was called where you had to wear gloves?

female_player_dark_wind.jpg

Yes =)

The Game is called Dark Wind, I actually own it, and beneath the toy and fun factor it sucks ass. Also there is a golf game available for that Gametrak device. Nothing else surprisingly.

So, I would wait buying shares of that company ^^

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
beebs_basic said:
watch the videos...it's needs a freaking ground based ultrasonic emitter that, yes, captures your motion if you move off screen, but you pretty much need to be in close proximity to for it to work.

it's like a footstool you'd have to plug in and set in the middle of your room. compare that to a little stick you slap on top of your screen and i'll take the Wii thank you very much. (having not played either...I may change my opinion when I get some hands-on time)

So it's the Genesis Activator all over again?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The more I read the text in the 1st post, the less sense does it make. No, really, what are they thinking?

sprocket

Banned
Anyone want to place a bet on all the "Wii controller killer" Thread we will see this gen?

im guessing 223,233,454 .

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
If Microsoft includes the support for the controller in DirectX I have no doubt that this thing can kill Wii with one blow in the United States.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Nightbringer said:
If Microsoft includes the support for the controller in DirectX I have no doubt that this thing can kill Wii with one blow in the United States.

That's the thing. If/when Wii proves a success, Microsoft or Sony could buy this company, give it some R&D cash and then release a Wii-remote-like for their HD-based console. Perhaps.

sprocket

Banned
Mr Mike said:
That's the thing. If/when Wii proves a success, Microsoft or Sony could buy this company, give it some R&D cash and then release a Wii-remote-like for their HD-based console. Perhaps.

Doesnt matter. The Wii still will be the only console with the controller standard . EA will not make games for this . Ubisoft will not make games for this .

quetz67

Banned
Mr Mike said:
exactly. IF the Wii is a success the controller will be copied and then MS and Sony have the controller PLUS next gen graphics.

OK I know the 'But Wii has the controller from the beginning and available for every single game' mantra.

It is true and yes, it will make a difference, but actually I dont want to use the Wiimote for every game. I play FPS on PC with keyboard and mouse which still seem to beat the Wiimote. To play FPS on something a console it has to be excellent looking or have some other next gen extras.

The same goes for most RPGs and sure for RTS and the different inbetweens.

I am not that much of a racing game fan (if I play one I dont care if I use keyboard, mouse, digital or analog controller) but if I was I would get a racing wheel, not a Wiimote.

The Wiimote sure is nice for certain types of games (sports, party and probbably some new games specially designed for it). But it would be fine to bundle those with such a controller, or advanced Eyetoy version or guitar or whatever.

The Wiimote IMO is a very nice idea and executed extremely well. To have it as a Gamecube addon would have been great, but to rely on it for a whole console generation probably wasnt a good decision.

swerve

quetz67 said:
exactly. IF the Wii is a success the controller will be copied and then MS and Sony have the controller PLUS next gen graphics....The Wiimote IMO is a very nice idea and executed extremely well. To have it as a Gamecube addon would have been great, but to rely on it for a whole console generation probably wasnt a good decision.

SNES came out, MegaDrive got a six button pad. N64 (and yes, the saturn Nights pad) came out, PlayStation got analogue sticks. Rumble pak came out, Dual Shock arrived. This pattern is good for Nintendo, it's good for the competition, and thus it's probably pretty good for gamers.

Plus, how do you figure they're 'relying on [the wiimote] for a whole generation'? The remote, important as it may be, is much less important to the Wii project than the overall concept of accessibility, of which it is just one part (alongside the channels/message board, 'lite' software (wiiplay, wiisports), WiiConnect24, and no doubt an assault of Brain Training/Utility apps and Nintendogs Online Dog Carnival(tm) ).

And, and, and... are we already giving up on the idea that new genres could be created with all these new controllers? People often mention how other systems/controllers are probably better for driving, fps, etc - and the may well be right - but that's basically suggesting that videogames are at an end, in terms of new ideas, and everything from now on has to fit into an already established genre. I bloody hope that's not the case.

Setanta

There is more of this too over on computerandvideogames.com.

screenshot_163306.jpg

There are videos of a PS2 style 'Wii-Controller' playing bowling and tennis game as previously mentioned elsewhere.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Mr Mike said:

PS3 isnt built around the system. You just dont add a controller and expect it to work as effectively. You're going to have to have those sensor bars and youre going to have to be careful not to copy Nintendo's technology/patent in doing so. Besides, if the controller really takes off, people might prefer Wii OVER PS3 and not get a PS3 at all. Especially if gameplay > technology for them. Risky :D

Safe Bet

Banned
Scrow said:
false again again. you do not control splorgenborg. splorgenborg controls you.
WINNAR!

Chris Remo said:
It's manufactured in Soviet Russia.
Have we forgotten the power of the Splorgenborg so soon?

The Splorgenborg has the ability to warp space-time.

It's manufactured in Czar'ist Russia.

Now as to if that's in the past or the future, only the Splorgenborg knows...

ethelred

Andonuts said:
I doubt I'm the first person to have posted this but I'm too lazy to check the half dozen other threads about it:

activator.jpg

What in the world is that? An implement required for rituals dedicated to the performance of the dark arts?

DyTonic

Banned
If Nintendo doesn't go after them, maybe they will get the message when no one buys these crappy controllers. I have to buy a Guitar for Guitar Hero, but I wouldn't go out my way to buy a bat for a baseball game. I mean if they are going to design a Wiimote killer then just make one controller that could do all those tasks, sighs...:lol

Top Bottom