• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Biohazard UC information (mystery man named, RE4-style weapon upgrades)

cvxfreak

Just got the latest Famitsu magazine early so I'm only doing Umbrella Chronicles here. Sorry, don't have a scanner at the moment so digicam pics will have to suffice.

new character
The new character is named Sergei Vladimir. He is the leader of Umbrella and is somehow connected to the UBCS (of which Carlos of the Bio 3 chapter belongs). There's a shot that shows Wesker in a showdown with Sergei.

weapon upgrades
Killing zombies and other enemies will earn you points, of which you can use to upgrade your weapons to the next level, similar to RE4.

results
Each game is broken up into chapters. Shown in the screens is Biohazard 0, which has 3 chapters. It takes about 40 minutes to beat the Biohazard 0 chapter in total on normal mode. Like all Biohazard games you will be ranked with a letter grade. Your ranking is based on clear time, enemies killed, critical hits landed (i.e. headshots) and amount of files collected.

no Biohazard 2 chapter -- really
New art is shown in the mag pics. Wesker overlooks his right soldier, while Chris, Jill, Carlos, Rebecca and Billy pose with their weapons.

Thanks neo for uploading my pics to imagevenue!

Tobor

Weapon upgrades sounds pretty cool. I'm not much on light gun games, but I'll probably buy this and a zapper for giggles. Could be a hit at parties.

cvxfreak said:
Just got the latest Famitsu magazine early so I'm only doing Umbrella Chronicles here. Sorry, don't have a scanner at the moment so digicam pics will have to suffice.

Download ZIP File
(up for only 12 hours or less, depending on when other scans go up -- hotel connection is too slow for other methods =/)

new character
The new character is named Sergei Urazimil (wait for a better Romanization of the last name). He is the leader of Umbrella and is somehow connected to the UBCS (of which Carlos of the Bio 3 chapter belongs). There's a shot that shows Wesker in a showdown with Sergei.

weapon upgrades
Killing zombies and other enemies will earn you points, of which you can use to upgrade your weapons to the next level, similar to RE4.

results
Each game is broken up into chapters. Shown in the screens is Biohazard 0, which has 3 chapters. It takes about 40 minutes to beat the Biohazard 0 chapter in total on normal mode. Like all Biohazard games you will be ranked with a letter grade. Your ranking is based on clear time, enemies killed, critical hits landed (i.e. headshots) and amount of files collected.

no Biohazard 2 chapter -- really
New art is shown in the mag pics. Wesker overlooks his right soldier, while Chris, Jill, Carlos, Rebecca and Billy pose with their weapons.
this is where i start rumours about a Resident Evil 2 Wiimake done in RE4 style.

not based on anything at all... but why are they leaving out RE2 from UC if they aren't doing this hmmn? and if you think about it, given the popularity of RE4 it makes sense for them to remake Leon's first game!

maybe if we all wish hard enough it might happen...

anyways. UC looks good to me. can't wait.

Stalfos

cvxfreak said:
results

Wasn't it stated at some point to be 15-20 hours long? From the sounds of this it will be much shorter.

That old guy is Sergei? Well, either Ozwell Spencer is going to appear in the chronologically later RE games (I hope so, but it's unlikely) or he really did get retconned from the original RE4 drafts into Osmund Saddler.

Saitou

Banned
Heh, knew he had to be Russian. Urazimil = Vladimir? Stranger things have happened.

Also, Capcom need to stop dicking around and remake RE2 :mad:

cvxfreak

I wouldn't be surprised if this Sergei guy had something to do with Nicholai, which would justify the inclusion of Biohazard 3. I'd then bet good money Carlos will be in the final chapter.

Saitou said:
Heh, knew he had to be Russian. Urazimil = Vladimir? Stranger things have happened.

You are totally right. Just reconfirmed it by looking up Vladimir Putin on the Japanese Wikipedia. :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
cvxfreak said:
The new character is named Sergei Urazimil (wait for a better Romanization of the last name).

I still think that they should go with Baron von Vookenvonnkterstein.

Regardless, my other predictions will hopefully be fulfilled by Capcom:

His name will be Baron von Vookenvonnkterstein, and he will transform into a giant red monster with lots of eyeballs.

Also, he was have a deep bellowing laugh. A real, "Boowhuahuahua! I do not zink you are gettink oot oov here, mein friends!" kind of guy.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Wait, so his name is Sergei Vladimir? :lol

Okay Capcom, I forgive you, that's totally the amount of stereotypical cheese I wanted. :D

It's going to be hilarious when this game turns out after all the hype to be merely Gun Survivor Wii. Just like Soul Calibur Legends, this is nothing more than a quick cash in.

I have an idea for Capcom... if they don't want to do the "real" series on Wii, why not do a side series based upon the CG design of the originals? That way you could have the new-school action design on the next-gen consoles, and the old-school graphic adventure/survival horror design on Wii. I actually think that could work and be very profitable at both ends.

miguel_c_hammer said:
It's going to be hilarious when this game turns out after all the hype to be merely Gun Survivor Wii. Just like Soul Calibur Legends, this is nothing more than a quick cash in.

I have an idea for Capcom... if they don't want to do the "real" series on Wii, why not do a side series based upon the CG design of the originals? That way you could have the new-school action design on the next-gen consoles, and the old-school graphic adventure/survival horror design on Wii. I actually think that could work and be very profitable at both ends.
it wouldn't be hilarious at all... and you're a sadistic little so and so to suggest that it would be.

Aggelos

Sergei Vladimir was a Colonel of the soviet era. With the fall of the Soviet Union he approached Umbrella and he became one of the executives. He is somehow related with the establishment of the U.B.C.S. They still call him "Colonel"
Around his right eye he has a few scars. It seems that his hobby is collecting old guns. On his chest he has the Umbrella mark. Also from his stripes on his shoulders he seems to be an high official of Umbrella.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Saitou said:
I want him to go 'Do cvedonjia' repeatedly.
When I thought he was just a stereotypical German, I thought he be the kind who'd say "Ja, zis vill teach chyou, mein friends!"

Now that I know that he's a stereotypical Russian, I bet he'll say, "Da, dis vill teach hyou, comrades!"

Aggelos said:
Sergei Vladimir was a Colonel of the soviet era. With the fall of the Soviet Union he approached Umbrella and he became one of the executives. He is somehow related with the establishment of the U.B.C.S

OH FUCK YEAH, that confirms it, we'll be hearing "comrade" a lot. :lol

cvxfreak

plagiarize said:
it wouldn't be hilarious at all... and you're a sadistic little so and so to suggest that it would be.

Jesus Christ, not even the press references Gun Survivor in relation to UC these days. Light gun shooters aren't like the third person shooters the GS games were. Low quality might very well be the only thing UC will have in common with the GS games besides the first person perspective.

Even RE4 is more like Dead Aim than UC is.

cvxfreak said:
Jesus Christ, not even the press references Gun Survivor in relation to UC these days. Light gun shooters aren't like the third person shooters the GS games were. Low quality might very well be the only thing UC will have in common with the GS games besides the first person perspective.

Even RE4 is more like Dead Aim than UC is.
it's never going to end pal. just as people are never going to stop being upset that it isn't an RE4 style game. we're both over that. we both know that the gun survivor games were not traditional light gun games.

but what can you do? i certainly don't expect people to play gun survivor for themselves to find out. i've finished it numerous times cause i'm a huge RE geek, but frankly, i wouldn't wish it on anyone that wasn't.

the only reason i haven't gotten over people making these complaints is that it turns every UC thread into the same silly argument.

cvxfreak

plagiarize said:
it's never going to end pal. just as people are never going to stop being upset that it isn't an RE4 style game. we're both over that. we both know that the gun survivor games were not traditional light gun games.

but what can you do? i certainly don't expect people to play gun survivor for themselves to find out. i've finished it numerous times cause i'm a huge RE geek, but frankly, i wouldn't wish it on anyone that wasn't.

the only reason i haven't gotten over people making these complaints is that it turns every UC thread into the same silly argument.

Doesn't stop it from being a dumbass argument, right? :/

You're right though. Next UC thread I create, I'm going to troll it right off the bat to beat everyone to the bunch. :D

StevieP

Banned
Didn't the press release on the Nintendo Zapper a week ago confirm that there is indeed RE2 content? Or is it a goofup on Nintendo's part?

Nintendo's Zapper PR said:
Capcom’s Resident Evil®: The Umbrella Chronicles reveals the back story behind the fall of the Umbrella Corporation by exploring locations from Resident Evil 0, 1, 2 and 3, as well as new never-before-seen locations like Umbrella’s stronghold.

StevieP said:
Didn't the press release on the Nintendo Zapper a week ago confirm that there is indeed RE2 content? Or is it a goofup on Nintendo's part?
not a goof up. there ARE locations from RE2 in it. the same locations from RE2 that appeared in RE3 and possibly RE0.

cvxfreak

plagiarize said:
not a goof up. there ARE locations from RE2 in it. the same locations from RE2 that appeared in RE3 and possibly RE0.

Yeah, this must be emphasized. We visit the police station in RE3 (and File 2). We visit part of the Birkin lab in RE0 (and Outbreak). Therefore, RE2 locations appear in UC. It's cheating but Capcom's not false advertising here.

Wait, so it's not Spencer? Are they never going to do the big reveal?

This game is one of those games that you want ever so badly to be good, but once reality sets in you realize it's most probably going to suck.

BTW, I never played any Outbreak game, so can someone tell me what's the premise?

cvxfreak

Pureauthor said:
BTW, I never played any Outbreak game, so can someone tell me what's the premise?

Basically, 8 ordinary people survive Raccoon City. Only one or two characters from that game are actually important to the whole storyline though (Yoko and possibly Alyssa).

cvxfreak said:
Basically, 8 ordinary people survive Raccoon City. Only one or two characters from that game are actually important to the whole storyline though (Yoko and possibly Alyssa).

...Okay... doesn't sound very... um, thrilling.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Pureauthor said:
Wait, so it's not Spencer? Are they never going to do the big reveal?

This game is one of those games that you want ever so badly to be good, but once reality sets in you realize it's most probably going to suck.

Sadly enough, I feel the same way...

At any rate, hmm. The outbreak games are basically Resident Evil, shown through the perspective of average joe human. Unlike the main characters, they don't have an immunity to the virus, and can die like everyone else. You have a timer that pops up occasionally, telling you how bad your infection is. You can slow the t-virus down with certain items like "medication" or something of that nature. If you get bitten, scratched, or otherwise, your infection spreads faster. The lower your health is, the higher the rate in which the virus takes over your body. Oh, and there is no pause in the menu when you try and heal yourself(or otherwise). Everything is real-time.

At one point there might have been a coherent storyline, but, as of now, they are just a bunch of loosely tied together scenarios you can play through. (I'm going off of memory here) Capcom did throw in some references to the other games though.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
plagiarize said:
this is where i start rumours about a Resident Evil 2 Wiimake done in RE4 style.

not based on anything at all... but why are they leaving out RE2 from UC if they aren't doing this hmmn? and if you think about it, given the popularity of RE4 it makes sense for them to remake Leon's first game!

maybe if we all wish hard enough it might happen...

anyways. UC looks good to me. can't wait.

If only

Pureauthor said:

I cant see how a lightgun shooter is per se going to suck.

@topic: Awsome news, hype increased.

MasterMFauli said:
I cant see how a lightgun shooter is per se going to suck.

Are you... actually saying that it is physically impossible for a lightgun shooter to be bad?

Because I've read plenty of stupid things on GAF, and something like that would rank near the top.

Pureauthor said:
Are you... actually saying that it is physically impossible for a lightgun shooter to be bad?

Because I've read plenty of stupid things on GAF, and something like that would rank near the top.

Ive read plenty of stupid things on GAF, but saying that TUC "will most probably suck" because it´s a lightgun shooter tops everything so far.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
MasterMFauli said:
Ive read plenty of stupid things on GAF, but saying that TUC "will most probably suck" because it´s a lightgun shooter tops everything so far.

I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was saying its probably going to suck because..well because most hands on impressions kind of hint that it will suck.

I have never said it will suck because it is a lightgun shooter. I love lightgun shooters. Give me some coins and an arcade and I can amuse myself all day. Heck, when I learnt it was to be like a lightgun shooter, my interest in the game rose significantly.

RE:UC's suckiness is not related to it being a lightgun shooter, as far as I am concerned. RE:UC's suckiness is related to the gameplay being, by all hands-on impressions, subpar.

Pureauthor said:
I have never said it will suck because it is a lightgun shooter. I love lightgun shooters. Give me some coins and an arcade and I can amuse myself all day. Heck, when I learnt it was to be like a lightgun shooter, my interest in the game rose significantly.

RE:UC's suckiness is not related to it being a lightgun shooter, as far as I am concerned. RE:UC's suckiness is related to the gameplay being, by all hands-on impressions, subpar.

But what exactly is so sucky about TUC´s gameplay?
Sorry, but so far i never read anything specific.
Is the aiming difficult? Is reloading annoying? Too difficult, too easy?
The presentation seems great to me, something that can be said by just watching videos.
Im really looking forward to this game.

Saitou

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
But what exactly is so sucky about TUC´s gameplay?
Sorry, but so far i never read anything specific.
Is the aiming difficult? Is reloading annoying? Too difficult, too easy?
The presentation seems great to me, something that can be said by just watching videos.
Im really looking forward to this game.
Well, I played the E3 build, and it seemed off =/
Zombies would barely react to being shot, though that seems to be fixed now. Also, there awas little to no blood. Dunno how that's looking now.
Also, I must have been playing a hard difficulty or something, cause it took like two clips to kill a zombie, gawddamn
not a complaint

I am proud to report, however, that the voice overs are flat and lacking in emotion throughout, heightening the RE experience ñ_ñ

dirtmonkey37 said:
From vague journalist impressions of Umbrella Chronicle's E3 presence along with my own, personal disdain for the game (based on concrete details) , I do not see how anyone could picture scores higher than 5's and 6's when the critics get their hands on this retrospective Resident Evil "experience." Umbrella Chronicles has nothing great going for it EDIT: Actually, the graphics are indeed nice.

Bebpo said:
Resident Evil Wii Umbrella Chronicles: But then after a streak of like 5+ years of every Capcom game being AAA quality, RE Wii is a piece of shit. It's not even Gun Survivor quality, it's feels and looks like a ****ing PS1 shovelware game. I couldn't believe my eyes because I'd SEEN those trailers that looked hot like GC RE0/REmake. But I dunno, maybe this was like 10% done super duper alpha version of RE2 stage (or maybe this is what happens to stages that they can't just RE-use character/zombie models, art from GC games) but it was very much a piece of shit. Curiously I heard a very STRONG rumor about who was developing it, which would explain my impressions of the title. Don't want to get anyone in trouble so I won't se it.

John Harker said:
Well, except I'm one of the people posting shitty impressions.
Since, ya know, I've played it.

There's more, but I can't be arsed to find it. Since E3 this game has been almost universally regarded as subpar.

Prime Blue said:
Well, I am European, so he looks Russian to me - based on my stereotype of an Eastern aristocrat.
Yes, Russian CEOs all the way! Looking forward to hearing that nice overdone accent again. If he's connected to the U.B.C.S. in some way, maybe we'll finally get a confirmation of Nicholai's status. I always wondered which one of the three endings was the right one (and if the epilogue of OUTBREAK could be taken into consideration).

UC is shaping up pretty well, I'm much more interested in the game than I was a few weeks ago.
And I love how they still didn't reveal Spencer, yet depicted Vladimir (aren't Sergei and Vladimir both first names? Schneider Belmont, anyone?) exactly like the description we got of the only founder of Umbrella that is still alive. That way the speculation will never end. Spencer pretty much is the wild card of the series.

Although I still don't understand why they didn't make Wesker the protagonist of the last chapter. It's like CAPCOM's trying to not sell copies of their game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
There's more, but I can't be arsed to find it. Since E3 this game has been almost universally regarded as subpar.

Kohler also "meh"ed it on Game|Life but I'm at work and don't have the time to scour through the archives looking for it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
Kohler also "meh"ed it on Game|Life but I'm at work and don't have the time to scour through the archives looking for it.

In fact the only mainstream media that has given positive impressions oddly enough has been the 1upyours crew.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
schuelma said:
In fact the only mainstream media that has given positive impressions oddly enough has been the 1upyours crew.
Now that's not true. Reading Eurogamer, CVG, GameSpot, and IGN, they've given decidedly positive impressions:

CVG said:
The fear factor is surprisingly high considering UC's adrenaline pumping action bent. The forward-moving nature of the genre makes for a relentless pace and, as in Killer 7, knowing you can't actually leg it makes it that much more tense. Even this early on Umbrella Chronicles looks like a winner, and if it doesn't continue to impress we'll eat our hats or, in the Resident Evil way, Matthew.

IGN said:
The title has been in development for nearly a year with a team 40 people strong, according to Kawata-san, and is scheduled for a summer release on Wii. We'll have much more on the game just as soon as we get the opportunity to play deeper into it, but even from this early junction it seems clear that the developer has another winner on its hands, even if it doesn't follow the more traditional Resident Evil formula.

GameSpot said:
Those perfect headshots invariably resulted in an explosion of blood and the enemy getting decapitated, which was satisfying but certainly not gratuitous. We enjoyed our time with Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles a great deal, and although using the Nunchuk's analog stick to look around while also moving an onscreen crosshair by moving the Zapper isn't quite as intuitive as it might be, our first impression of the latest peripheral in Nintendo's arsenal is definitely positive. We look forward to bringing you more information as soon as it becomes available.

Eurogamer said:
It's undoubtedly a polished, well executed light-gun-style shooter, but it's one of those where you'll probably only be able to play in short bursts before the inevitable arm ache kicks in.

Now, the impressions from E3 weren't quite as positive as the ones from Capcom's Gamers Day, that's true. None of them really said anything bad about the game, though it was mostly said that it needed some work in some areas. However, I think there might be some reasons for that:

1. The Gamers Day demo took place in the graphically detailed mansion with lots of stuff to interact with, and seemed to have a faster pace and more atmosphere. The E3 demo was the RE3/Outbreak level, and was essentially shooting down a lot of zombies shumbling towards you on a barren city street.

2. The Gamers Day demo was played with the Wiimote + Nunchuk controls. The E3 demo was played with the Zapper controls; the two-handed connected Zapper setup might not be perfect for a game like this.

Top Bottom