• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BioShock Game Will be In Development for “Several Years”

Bullet Club

PS6 launch title.

New BioShock Game Will be In Development for “Several Years”

If you thought that we might see more of the newest BioShock game soon, you'll likely be kept waiting a bit longer.

Back in December, Take-Two Interactive and 2K Games announced that the fourth entry in the BioShock series was finally in the works at a new studio by the name of Cloud Chamber. There wasn’t much to say about the forthcoming BioShock title at the time (a formal name, release window, etc.) and now it seems that we know why.

Mentioned in Take-Two Interactive’s financial report going over earnings from the company’s third quarter, it was stated that the next BioShock game is going to be in the works for quite awhile. Specifically, Take-Two, the firm that owns 2K Games, made clear that the upcoming BioShock “will be in development for the next several years.” Essentially, if you were hoping to get your hands on this highly-anticipated project any time soon, it sounds like you’ll be left waiting.

This information isn’t too shocking given that other reports that have come about over the past few months have indicated that this BioShock project has had its development drastically rebooted at one point. It also very clearly signals that whenever this game does end up launching, it’ll surely be headed to the PS5 and Xbox Series X. A release for current-generation hardware seems to probably be out of the question.

Regardless, it is nice to know that 2K Games is finally returning to the BioShock series even if the next game will take a bit longer to finally release. Other than the remastered bundle, BioShock: The Collection, no BioShock titles have arrived this generation. BioShock Infinite, which launched in 2013, was the last formal installment in the series.

In the meantime, there are rumors that BioShock: The Collection could soon be headed to the Nintendo Switch, but such news hasn’t been confirmed as of this writing.

Source: Dualshockers

giphy.gif

I just hope it’s worth the wait

It's a good, cinematic series, looking forward to it. Infinite was fantastic.. not perfect but a game like this taking several years bodes well if you consider Half Life 2~

Solarstrike

Anyone have any idea(s) where it may take place? My guess is Antarctica. Well, it would start off the coast on some off shore "refinery". But yeah, that continent is frickin' huge who knows what could be buried/hidden there.

Last edited:
Did anyone else get a sense of finality from Burial At Sea?

That coupled with the fact that the series is clearly Ken Levine's baby makes me question whether it really needs to continue at all.

Did anyone else get a sense of finality from Burial At Sea?

That coupled with the fact that the series is clearly Ken Levine's baby makes me question whether it really needs to continue at all.

I got a sense that I was reading bad fan fiction from BAS to be honest.

Bioshock can be more of a loose concept than anything else and I look forward to seeing what the new team is cooking up.

mango drank

Anyone have any idea(s) where it may take place? My guess is Antarctica. Well, it would start off the coast on some off shore "refinery". But yeah, that continent is frickin' huge who knows what could be buried/hidden there.

That's an interesting idea. If one of the common aspects of the previous Bioshock locales was that they were human cities built in obviously-inhospitable parts of the planet, Antarctica would fit the bill. There could be some weird hidden Garden of Eden paradise oasis / science experiment that's gone haywire. But the natural environment also has to lend to the visual splendor of the locale, and it has to intrude upon the ruined city, and I'm having a hard time coming up with good ideas for Antarctica ... but wtf do I know.

Other ideas:
  • Underground: eh
  • Floating city on the ocean
  • A hidden high-tech oasis in a post-apocalyptic future wasteland, that's falling apart. Yes, already kinda done in Fallout 4, but it could be done way better.
  • Cyberspace / virtual world: apparently already done in System Shock 1 (haven't played it). But this would let the world designers build some super weird and fantastical shit, since they can basically do anything. A ruined, glitched-out virtual paradise could be interesting. The game could also be playable in VR, very meta. Maybe this is tied to the point above: you start exploring an abandoned ruined physical oasis in a post-apoc world, then find out everyone escaped to a virtual world and enter it, except that's falling apart too.
  • Earth orbit: already done in Prey
  • The moon
  • Orbit around the sun
  • Venus
  • Mars
  • Moons of Jupiter / Saturn
  • Deep space: already done in System Shock 2, Dead Space, etc

DonJorginho

Banned
With the disappointment of Infinite and the sense of closure/redemption of Burial Of Sea do we REALLY need this?

Especially with a new team, will they energise the franchise and develop something truly unique, or will it just be a rehash of previous games with a next gen coat of paint.

Either way, it is probably a good 3-4 years out so I will just wait to see more about it.

Kokoloko85

Hmmm if there not gonna make a new one with Ken. Id love a remake or side game to the first one. Where I can explore rapture more

MiguelItUp

I hope that it falls closer towards its System Shock roots. I appreciated Infinite for what it was, but I'd love one that feels more like the original Bioshock, or even 2 for that matter.

NAI1210

I love the bioshock games but not everything has to turned into a franchise, I would be perfectly OK if we never get another original bioshock game and only got the first 3 remastered at some point in the future like a 25th anniversary or something, I would also apply this to dark souls 🤗

Siri

Banned
The lead on this is Shawn Elliott, former GFW Radio podcaster and writer - and, I believe, banned from this forum (probably by someone who’s now at ResetEra).

Last edited:
How was it? There's always a man, there's always a lighthouse, there's always a city.

Anyway, like i said many times the first bioshock was amazing up until the twist. Bioshock 2 was forgettable but with great gameplay. Infinite was a letdown.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the only game I've finished is Infinite. it's been years so i can't even remember much but I didn't hate it. I tried the first game but there was a bug and i couldn't progress so just gave up on it. I don't really care at this point. I think even if I went back to Infinite i'd not enjoy it.

i'm not excited for the new Bioshock but i'm interested to see what they do.

hunthunt

Banned
Dont know if im hyped about this and also
where the fuck is Ken Levine anyway?

Development cycles are going to be a bitch next gen.

Disagree, we will see a uprising in AA design, with streamlined effects like RT and super fast consoles devs will manage to reduce a lot in optimization to make games look good and run well.

Heck, any game with the poly count of Uncharted 2 would look incredible with RT at 1440p and 60fps.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
That's an interesting idea. If one of the common aspects of the previous Bioshock locales was that they were human cities built in obviously-inhospitable parts of the planet, Antarctica would fit the bill. There could be some weird hidden Garden of Eden paradise oasis / science experiment that's gone haywire. But the natural environment also has to lend to the visual splendor of the locale, and it has to intrude upon the ruined city, and I'm having a hard time coming up with good ideas for Antarctica ... but wtf do I know.

Other ideas:
  • Underground: eh
  • Floating city on the ocean
  • A hidden high-tech oasis in a post-apocalyptic future wasteland, that's falling apart. Yes, already kinda done in Fallout 4, but it could be done way better.
  • Cyberspace / virtual world: apparently already done in System Shock 1 (haven't played it). But this would let the world designers build some super weird and fantastical shit, since they can basically do anything. A ruined, glitched-out virtual paradise could be interesting. The game could also be playable in VR, very meta. Maybe this is tied to the point above: you start exploring an abandoned ruined physical oasis in a post-apoc world, then find out everyone escaped to a virtual world and enter it, except that's falling apart too.
  • Earth orbit: already done in Prey
  • The moon
  • Orbit around the sun
  • Venus
  • Mars
  • Moons of Jupiter / Saturn
  • Deep space: already done in System Shock 2, Dead Space, etc
I was thinking under an ice cap could be neat. Travel outside being possible but dangerous and eventually required.

LMJ

Be certain when you do release it you have a firm grasp of the power and capabilities of the systems you're developing on, I loved Infinite, but it was a shadow of what we could have received had Levine and his team gone with more power...

Dont compromise your vision because you overestimate the power you have to work with basically...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Bioshock Infinite really nailed that theme park aesthetic. there are several parts where you can just wander around without shooting and explore and marvel at these meticulously designed areas and it is quite wonderful. many people praised the level & art design overall. it reminded me of going to Disney World when i was a kid, where they had the Hall of Presidents & a bunch of roller coasters. for me this game is very nostalgic.

the Bioshock style seems to be well made retro futuristic shooting galleries set in dreamlike utopian theme parks. no doubt they can pull that off again. wonder what the new theme will be. i wouldn't mind revisiting Art Deco, it has always been one of my favorite art/architectural styles, and this being the 100th anniversary of the 1920s, might be cool to revisit.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Bioshock Infinite was the game I played after about 5 years of not playing games. I thought it looked great and it got great reviews, what could go wrong?

It was fucking shit that's what went wrong. It nearly had me giving up gaming again.

If a new Bioshock is released I'm going to wait for ACTUAL opinions on the game this time. I really enjoyed the first two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom