• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bioware GM promises to restore their reputation

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/biowares-new-general-manager-promises-to-rebuild-its-reputation/

In December 2020, Casey Hudson announced his departure from BioWare. The move seemed to catch everyone by surprise, including parent company Electronic Arts, which announced the same day that a search for someone to fill the general manager role left vacant by Hudson was underway. "We will find the right leader who has a deep love and respect for this studio’s heritage, who embodies the values of this team and who will help carry on the incredible legacy of BioWare," EA chief studio officer Laura Miele said at the time.

Today, BioWare announced that it has found the person it's been looking for: Gary McKay, who joined the studio in January 2020 as head of development operations and has been serving as interim GM since December, has been given the job permanently.

McKay has previously served as development director on EA's FIFA Soccer series, according to his Mobygames page, as well as other games including Triple Play 2001, Total Club Manager 2004, Def Jam: Fight for NY, and SSX on Tour, and was the studio director at Tron: Evolution developer Propaganda Games. Prior to his return to EA, McKay was studio general manager and vice president of product at Vancouver-based studio Navigator Games.

McKay said his role as GM involves "setting a vision for the business, and then enabling the creative developers to do their best work as we come together as a team." He didn't say anything about what sort of work they're currently doing, however, except to note that development on Dragon Age 4 and a new Mass Effect game (which we already know about) continues, and that there's "more to come from Star Wars: The Old Republic."

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, there's actually someone at Bioware who's title is Game Master? Dope.

EDIT: fuck me, I've been playing too many role playing games

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
giphy.gif

CitizenZ

Banned
Dont get your hopes too high, the same CD and writer is in place.

Also i just read on the forum the other day Andromeda has seen its peak player count rise to its highest # probably due to the remaster being successful.

I think they'll do just fine if they can stick to the reform and focus more on their development direction. but seeing that they're under EA, it probably won't be long before they got gutted and all their IPs put on deep freeze like so many other companies before them. I'm still bitter over Dead Space.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Bioware is totally going to botch the default protagonist again, just watch.

The fact that people think Blizzard didn't make the Amazon ugly as hell on purpose in the D2 remake is just insane to me lol.
That shit is deliberate.

hyperbertha

They can't help themselves. The 'diversity' department won't allow it no matter how the new GM (whatever that is) trashes and rolls in the mud.

Reactions: Fuz

Konnor

Isn't it way too late now? Most of the talented staff bailed out of the sinking ship years ago just like it happened with other once great developers, Blizzard also comes to mind.

bbeach123

I didnt try to sleep with any of their(female) characters since DA:I , and that is worrisome .

Hope he can change that .

Last edited:

Kadve

EA sucked Bioware dry; the body will be burried soon.
IIRC, Biowares problem is that they have kinda bought in to their own reputation and believe that no matter how bad development works, the game will always be finished and good.

EA has otherwise been quite hands off when it comes to Bioware. They even "saved" Anthem from lingering even further in development hell by basically ordering Bioware to stop screwing around and start doing something resembling a development plan.

Corndog

Banned
I kind of hoped ea would sell the mass effect up to someone else but I doubt that will ever happen.

I think some of their problems were self inflicted. Only forcing use of frostbite and multiplayer is eas fault.

Last edited:

Sentenza

McKay has previously served as development director on EA's FIFA Soccer series, according to his Mobygames page, as well as other games including Triple Play 2001, Total Club Manager 2004, Def Jam: Fight for NY, and SSX on Tour, and was the studio director at Tron: Evolution developer Propaganda Games. Prior to his return to EA, McKay was studio general manager and vice president of product at Vancouver-based studio Navigator Games.

How to set expectations and then instantly destroy them.

Fuz

Banned
Bioware is totally going to botch the default protagonist again, just watch.
"You can't make them pretty, it's sexualizing!"
"You can't make them ugly, it's othering"

levyjl1988

Banned
"You can't make them pretty, it's sexualizing!"
"You can't make them ugly, it's othering"
Well, I guess I'm not buying Diablo 4. I bought Diablo 3 because of Leah and the aesthethic. Diablo 4 does not appeal to me so no buy.

Top Bottom