• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Blizzard teaser Day #6 - THE DAY IS HERE! PREPARE THYSELVES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

5il3nc3r

Diablo's story never grabbed me like in other Blizzard games. You could argue that story is not really important for a game like Diablo but it would at least provide additional incentive to go through the campaign just like Warcraft 3's story did for me.

Skeyser

Sword.jpg

runeShae.gif
Shael rune from Diablo 2

pxleyes

Banned
5il3nc3r said:
Diablo's story never grabbed me like in other Blizzard games. You could argue that story is not really important for a game like Diablo but it would at least provide additional incentive to go through the campaign just like Warcraft 3's story did for me.
I always found Diablo's storyline the most intimate and intense of any of their series.

hclflow

Belfast said:
What can I say? The lore never really grabbed me. Besides the gameplay, it's kind of bland, and even the former I can get from WoW.

Who the hell plays Diablo for anything BUT the superb gameplay?

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, why would they have ANOTHER frozen rune-covered sword for a different game?

Runeblades are going to be a pretty big part of WotLK and Death Knights/Frostmourne.

Belfast

hclflow said:
Who the hell plays Diablo for anything BUT the superb gameplay?

I like dungeon hacks, but I also like MMOs more. A lot of the things that made Diablo good are in WoW anyway, it's just the context that is different.

hclflow

Belfast said:
I like dungeon hacks, but I also like MMOs more. A lot of the things that made Diablo good are in WoW anyway, it's just the context that is different.

You mean besides the fast and unforgiving combat, excellent pacing, random dungeons, pick-up-and-play style and free online play?

Don't get me wrong, I put my time into WoW, but it's no Diablo 2.

Belfast said:
See, I feel the same way--which is why I much prefer Diablo.

A lot of what makes Diablo good is in WoW, except you have to grind way more, you have to dedicate ridiculous numbers of hours at high levels (and to pre-empt anyone claiming WoW is "easy mode" compared to other MMOs, that makes no difference in this discussion), you don't have nearly the same amount of flexibility in easily trying numerous different characters and builds, and group play is much less adaptable to friends since especially as you gain higher levels you really have to coordinate the makeup of your group rather than just let everyone play whatever class they want to play.

I enjoyed WoW for a while, and still feel it's great in many ways--it remains one of the most consistently visually breathtaking games I've played--but when it comes down to the gameplay, it basically feels to me like a less focused, more padded Diablo. Diablo II is a sharp-as-hell, accessible yet extremely deep game that is very adaptable to available time commitments and online friend grouping, which is how I played it about 85% of the time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Stay awhile and listen!

I want Diablo II sooo bad. Then I can slack on my job just like how I slacked on school many moons ago. Yay Blizzard!

Belfast said:
What can I say? The lore never really grabbed me. Besides the gameplay, it's kind of bland, and even the former I can get from WoW.
Not even the music?

Highlight for me has always been the atmosphere just as much as the dungeon-hacking, item whoring gameplay. I'm a big fan of Uelmen's sort of eastern European gothic folk system of music. The gothic setting is always good for late night gaming with the lights out and surround sound on in full.

Vinterbird said:
No way in hell this is a new IP then?
I'm sure they're always tossing stuff around, but considering Blizzard hasn't introduced a new IP since 1998 - well over half the company's existence - I'd be pretty surprised, especially since all three of their core franchises have remained remarkably relevant to gamers over the course of their lives.

Teknoman

KyanMehwulfe said:
Not even the music?

Highlight for me has always been the atmosphere just as much as the dungeon-hacking, item whoring gameplay. I'm a big fan of Uelmen's sort of eastern European gothic folk system of music. The gothic setting is always good for late night gaming with the lights out and surround sound on in full.

This. Diablo 1 was my first PC game and Tristram's theme was just amazing atmospheric compared to what i'd heard before from a video game. Same with all the ambient noises and the environmets in general.

The voice acting was pretty nice too.

5il3nc3r said:
I always thought Diablo had the most interesting story, especially from a video game perspective. Unlike most video games, Diablo had the really interesting conceit of telling the player's story during the gameplay, while telling essentially a parallel story via the cutscenes. To me, that was really clever, and it avoided the common pitfall of dumping things that happen to the player into non-playable segments.

As far as the fiction itself, none of Blizzard's games are super memorable to me, although StarCraft would probably be the most memorable for me in that respect. Plot aside, the franchises generally have incredibly strong artistic design focus. I think Diablo's is the most focused in that respect, Warcraft's the least, and StarCraft in the middle.

Teknoman said:
This. Diablo 1 was my first PC game and Tristram's theme was just amazing atmospheric compared to what i'd heard before from a video game. Same with all the ambient noises and the environmets in general.

The voice acting was pretty nice too.
God, that initial open chord strum from Diablo... That shit is seared into my mind for all time. It really calls to bear a crystal-clear image of my life circa 1997-1998, both because it's such an iconic sound and because I played that damn game so much.

Shtay awhile, and lishen.

Teknoman

Chris Remo said:
God, that initial open chord strum from Diablo... That shit is seared into my mind for all time. It really calls to bear a crystal-clear image of my life circa 1997-1998, both because it's such an iconic sound and because I played that damn game so much.

Shtay awhile, and lishen.

Deckard "Sean Connery" Cain ftw.

Also Tristram and Dungeon = Atmospheric back in the day. Diablo II had quite a few great tracks too. My favorites all stemmed from the desert and swamp areas.

Irulan said:
This is in the CSS file:

/*.tundra {background:url(_images/04.jpg) no-repeat 0 0} */

It links to this image:

04.jpg

Well, it's under the class "Tundra" and one of Wrath of the Lich King's new zones (one of the first new ones in the expansion) is Borean Tundra. Borean Tundra is home to a race of huge Walrus's that wear fur coats

tuskarr.jpg

Kind of looks like a fur coat... maybe. I hope it's Diablo III but if it is than they're definitely making it seem otherwise.

If Diablo 3 goes to the new Blizzard-Bright Art Style, I'll be a little disappointed - though not altogether surprised.

I'm sure it'll be an awesome game, regardless... they don't really make bad ones.

Teknoman

Eh its probably just that new WoW expansion and everyones just being crazily optimistic.

Whatever happened to that PCgamer Diablo-esque (something about Hell) tease?

Deep down I know this isn't Diablo 3 but goddam I want it sooooooo badly. :(

Why do you do this Blizzard. :(

PS - I met nearly everyone in my little "gaming group" playing Diablo II. We all put our time into WoW. We are all done with it, we've splintered into other MMOs, consoles and other activities. We look at Wrath and let out a collective "meh." We are so. fucking. ready. for. Diablo 3. As others have said...it is a better experience in many ways, especially for a small, casual core like my group. And I know we aren't alone.

duckroll

The teaser has updated. The light got brighter, there's a new rune on the right, and there's another line of code in the css.

So now we have:

and

/*.cavern {background:url(_images/15.jpg) no-repeat 0 0} */

NoirYuki

duckroll said:
The teaser has updated. The light got brighter, there's a new rune on the right, and there's another line of code in the css.

So now we have:

and

/*.cavern {background:url(_images/15.jpg) no-repeat 0 0} */

Umm, guys?

29c279w.png

Feel free to start rejoicing.

Proc

Amarox said:
That was for PC Gamer's August issue, not for this event.

that's what I was responding to. This has to be a big announcement for wrath. The runes are such a key part of the death knight.

duckroll

Proc said:
that's what I was responding to. This has to be a big announcement for wrath. The runes are such a key part of the death knight.

Somehow I don't think Blizzard is going to be hyping up an announcement for a game that everyone already knows about at an event as major as WWI.

Hinomura

Danj said:
Listen to this man. We need Diablo 3.

Also can we have Diablo 2 on digital distro plz, my discs are scratched.
The last patch (released some days ago) allows you to play without the disc being inserted.

If you have previuosly done the full installation, all you have to do is to copy the missing ".mpq" files from the main disc to root directory.

For instance, if you've installated Diablo 2 LoD (full installation), all you have to do is to copy the file "d2xmusic.mpq" into the root directory of Diablo 2.

Even if your discs are scratched give it a try! Or ask a friend to lend you the physical media just for the installation+mpq copy/mpq copy. :)

Tamanon

Banned
After seeing the specific runes being added....yeah, I'm leaning towards Diablo.

Although maybe not Diablo 3, lol;)

Unless of course Blizz is lazy and reusing runes.:lol

Did a 'Find: release' and didn't see it mentioned yet....

June 29th = Diablo 2 release date. On the 29th, it'll be the 7th day for the splash screen.

Actually, I just remembered.... I had forgot the exact day of the WWI. 28th-29th. Diablo 2 release date was mentioned when we learned that, too.

The clues are just too hard to ignore, its DIABLO 3. It was very naughty of blizzard to start with the "ice" image because most people would have straight away thought Northrend, this is why i am sure it D3 :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If it was Diablo 3 then wouldnt it be slightly crazy to announce it before starcraft 2 is out and the next wow expansion?

It has to be a release date for wotlk along with more details.

If it's diablo 3 i will eat my invisible hat.

Yixian

Banned
If this is all just for WotLK then a lot of people are gonna be pissed. That game has been publicised for months and months now, it's beyond the cryptic teaser stage. Cryptic teasers should ONLY be for unannounced games! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom