• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Blizzard teaser Day #6 - THE DAY IS HERE! PREPARE THYSELVES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xabora said:
Ehh... scroll back a few pages. ;)

Hahah I figured I'd be late, but didn't feel like scrolling back and reading everything...I saw some MSPAINT Goatse drawings and assumed it was possible that maybe...just maybe, you guys didn't read about the rune symbol yet.

aznpxdd

I remember I stayed up until 2AM last year waiting for the SC2 announcement in Korea. I was sitting in a IRC channel with about 600+ other SC fans, it was crazy...good times! Hopefully its Diablo 3, I'm itchin' for some clickin'!

Teknoman

Didnt Diablo II technically end in an icy environment anyway? Act V with Baal was where Diablo II wrapped things, and that was pretty icy. Maybe im just trying to reinforce the hope.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
THIS is how you pull off a timely fake:

2dgn6s1.jpg

:lol

Xabora said:
And I think I got it!

Purple Walrus is the Image.
That which relates to this guy: Michael Dashow

Michael Dashow did a SHITLOAD of Modeling, Animations, Texturing, Rigging, Backgrounds, Promos, Voices and whatnot.
http://www.michaeldashow.com/games/zoom_diablo.html

Even though he does not work with Blizzard now (AFAIK), this might be a nod to him.
Holy shit.
awesome find.

That would be a sweet little nod of Blizz and really cryptic.

I'm starting to believe... it's gonna hurt so much :(

Evlar

Banned
Xabora said:
And I think I got it!

Purple Walrus is the Image.
That which relates to this guy: Michael Dashow

Michael Dashow did a SHITLOAD of Modeling, Animations, Texturing, Rigging, Backgrounds, Promos, Voices and whatnot.
http://www.michaeldashow.com/games/zoom_diablo.html

Even though he does not work with Blizzard now (AFAIK), this might be a nod to him.
Let me be sure I understand, the connection is:

Image missing from Fan Art -> Matches image from the splash page CSS -> Complete image is a "purple walrus" (from which franchise? Can we see that jpg?) -> Fan art drawn by Michael Dashow -> The same Michael Dashow who "modeled, textured, and animated" Big D himself in Diablo 2.

Is that it?

Teknoman

My Arms Your Hearse said:
If this is true, and it isn't Diablo 3 but some MMO-shitfest... it will be the greatest failure in human history.

Well it could be an even more improved form of Diablo MP when you think about it. Get some MMO people behind the MP side of Diablo III and maybe they can add more to it than just having dungeon runs after beating the main game.

Xabora

Evlar said:
Let me be sure I understand, the connection is:

Image missing from Fan Art -> Matches image from the splash page CSS -> Complete image is a "purple walrus" (from which franchise? Can we see that jpg?) -> Fan art drawn by Michael Dashow -> The same Michael Dashow who "modeled, textured, and animated" Big D himself in Diablo 2.

Is that it?
Pretty much... but it seems like blizzard knocked the link of the purple walrus down way back in 2004/2005 when the word Diablo 3 leaked in one of the dumps the surfaced.

Chris R

I'm secretly hoping that Diablo 3 is a MMO just to see all the gaf hate and explosion threads :lol

I seriously don't know why it seems that gaf has a hard on for MMO hatred. Diablo is already basically a MMO. I'm sure they wouldn't turn it into a WoW clone, but I would play it if it was a MMO

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Fonds

Still, you can play Diablo 2 for an hour while it's absolutely pointless to play WoW for an hour. I'm not sure if I want DIII to be an MMO. But maybe that's cause I don't want it to be anything like WoW. I'm sure they could make it work somehow.

Hope they just don't turn it into some lame grind/fetch quest. Diablo was never about that, the actual combat was just a lot of fun.

Otheradam

rhfb said:
I'm secretly hoping that Diablo 3 is a MMO just to see all the gaf hate and explosion threads :lol

I seriously don't know why it seems that gaf has a hard on for MMO hatred. Diablo is already basically a MMO. I'm sure they wouldn't turn it into a WoW clone, but I would play it if it was a MMO

Because it will probably ruin everyone's social lives for the next 2 years? I know I'm sorta hoping it's not a mmo...

NoirYuki

rhfb said:

I have yet to play a fun MMO. Diablo, on the other hand, was actually fun.

Belfast

Fonds said:
Still, you can play Diablo 2 for an hour while it's absolutely pointless to play WoW for an hour. I'm not sure if I want DIII to be an MMO. But maybe that's cause I don't want it to be anything like WoW. I'm sure they could make it work somehow.

Hope they just don't turn it into some lame grind/fetch quest. Diablo was never about that, the actual combat was just a lot of fun.

You honestly think there aren't things you can do in WoW in under an hour?

Fonds

Belfast said:
You honestly think there aren't things you can do in WoW in under an hour?

Sure there's some. But I think we can all agree that it's not going to get anything done in the long run.

Artadius

charlequin said:
I still fail to see how Blizzard announcing another MMO right now would be anything but them competing with themselves.

Better to compete with yourself than someone else. Either way, you win.

Evlar

Banned
charlequin said:
I still fail to see how Blizzard announcing another MMO right now would be anything but them competing with themselves.
They have to do it eventually... They can't wait until WoW dies (which would take a decade of slow attrition) and they can't just pull the WoW plug (leaving money on the table and pissed customers). No one has exactly figured out how to transition smoothly from one MMO to another from the same developer- NCSoft came closest I suppose, and they kept both versions of Lineage running simultaneously with decent results.

In other words, Blizzard is going to have to release their new MMO sooner or later and when they do they will inevitably compete with themselves. It's a question of timing, of balancing the interest and investment of existing WoW customers with the potential growth of a new product for gamers to explore.

Artadius said:
Better to compete with yourself than someone else. Either way, you win.

Er... what?

Developing WoW cost upwards of $40 million. A new Blizzard MMO would undoubtedly be dramatically more expensive than that. In order to be a wise expenditure of that money, the game would have to hit a similar playerbase to WoW -- but that'd be difficult because of those 10 million people who are still playing WoW.

It's much more logical to keep developing non-persistent games like SC2 and Diablo 3, then launch their followup MMO when WoW's strength actually starts to flag.

Evlar said:
They have to do it eventually... They can't wait until WoW dies (which would take a decade of slow attrition) and they can't just pull the WoW plug (leaving money on the table and pissed customers).

Right. They wait until new player acquisition has essentially stopped and the rate of attrition has gotten high enough (and gone on long enough) that you're ready to move the game into low-staff support. WoW hasn't even released its second expansion, nor has it yet seen attrition overwhelm acquisition on a worldwide basis; it's not close to time to launch the new hotness yet.

charlequin said:

Market saturation or the next big thing? You decide.

The public has already gotten bored with WOW despite its humongous player base. Do you see nobody releasing FPS games even though Counterstrike is the king of FPS?

Death_Born said:
The public has already gotten bored with WOW despite its humongous player base. Do you see nobody releasing FPS games even though Counterstrike is the king of FPS?

Counter-Strike doesn't have a monthly fee, which is the big difference. If you're Valve and you sold someone HL2 to play Counter-Strike on, it's in your best interest to sell them TF2 now -- you make more money by selling a new product. If you're getting $3-15 apiece from 10 million subscribers, it's only in your best interests to migrate them to a new MMO if they're all going to start quitting much faster than new players sign up (not yet happening to WoW) or you can win a bigger marketshare with your new release (not going to happen to WoW's successor easily, given that WoW shattered all records for userbase size.)

Aselith

ThatGuy said:
This is NOT WoWTLK related. Because:

- Blizzard has NEVER teased a release date
- Blizzard has NEVER teased a beta start with a splash screen

http://us.media.blizzard.com/232309/_images/ice1.jpg

The 232309 stands for the 23 and 9 letter of the alphabet so:

23 letter = W
09 letter = I
== WWI ;)

Here is a colour inverted and sharpened version (thanks to jk32xzxk)
ice1copymq8.jpg

The sign on the middle left is the sign of the artist. You can find it on some of the released concept arts at the official site.

So, I guess they are goatse 'ing us.

I hate this Goddamn thread. It's starting to give me shreds of hope. I am going to be so monumentally disappointed when it turns out to be some WoW crap I don't care about.

Teknoman

rhfb said:

Eh, Diablo series for me has always been a fun and immersive single player game first and foremost. Then i'd jump into the MP. I just dont like to be rushed through voiced story sequences or reading quest descriptions.

Ben Sones

charlequin said:
Developing WoW cost upwards of $40 million.

Consider, though, that WoW generates that much revenue every two weeks or so--possibly less. Blizzard has enough cash to do pretty much anything they want at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom