• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bloodborne (PS4, Miyazaki, From) details from Famitsu's preview and interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's going to be technically competent, Sony will be investing very heavily in this, and will throw a lot of muscle behind making it be what it needs to be to appease the Souls fans on PC.
I loved ds2 on my pc and it runs sweet as hell. But I don't mind 30 fps. This '60 fps or bust' mentality is poisonous.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I loved ds2 on my pc and it runs sweet as hell. But I don't mind 30 fps. This '60 fps or bust' mentality is poisonous.

It is indeed. But so is the "30 and 60 are the same thing" talk. In the end, whatever the devs decide to go with is fine by me, as long as it's smooth and solid. Nothing worse than heavy fluctuation.

molnizzle

I'm bummed that they're not calling this a Souls game. I'm now kinda worried that it might be too much of a departure...

It is indeed. But so is the "30 and 60 are the same thing" talk. In the end, whatever the devs decide to go with is fine by me, as long as it's smooth and solid. Nothing worse than heavy fluctuation.
The difference is that the one you mention is not meant as a stealth elitist attitude or a "pre order cancelled" statement. It tends to be a "who gives a fuck" or admittedly at times an apologist attitude. Both which are less damaging to gamers reputation wise.

HeelPower

I am still surprised that people think Souls games are bad technically.

I still think DS1 is one of those games that push the ps360 hardware.Most of the environments and enemies are gorgeous and detailed with very little loading.

I mean if you dont die or teleport you wont experience much loading at all.

Its a really competent achievment as far as console open worlds are concerned.

Sounds like there is an interesting mechanic about collecting blood from beasts, like souls from demon's in the Souls games.

Very cool to see thing focus on blood. Wonder if you can mix certain types together to boost your character somehow. And then maybe some blood will be rarer than others (one drop, like lizard crystals), and maybe they can add a trade mechanic to be a central new online focus (trade with other players in other worlds, discover alternative difficult areas for rarer blood/loot).

Getting ahead of myself, but I am very interested to see what they do differently.

StuBurns

Banned
I am still surprised that people think Souls games are bad technically.

I still think DS1 is one of those games that push the ps360 hardware.Most of the environments and enemies are gorgeous and detailed with very little loading.

I mean if you dont die or teleport you wont experience much loading at all.

Its a really competent achievment as far as console open worlds are concerned.
But Blighttown runs at like ten frames a second?

Demon's Souls is pretty terrible at times too, 5-2 is busted.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

2-2 and 5-2, yeah. But the rest of the game runs solid.

UrbanRats

Because it's being developed exclusively on a more powerful device with more memory? By all means it could but by focusing on one device that's more powerful and having sony lend a helping hand it should run smoother than the cluster fuck that was ds2 on consoles.

I think it still depends on what they're going to consider a priority.
Though i guess you have a point with it being on one platform, whereas DkS1 and 2 were on multiple ones.

They should start making framerate a big priority, given how challenging and punishing their games are.
An area like BlightTown running like shit was pure frustration.

MEsoJD

Banned
Seeing how high resolution isn't as important on consoles than pcs... Why strive for 1080p? Consoles benefit from being played farther from the screen. They could most likely lower the res to achieve 60fps and still maintain a nice picture.

Shahed

I wonder if I hate both those areas because the framerate makes it sluggish to play, or because they're such tedious places that try to frustrate you through tedium rather than any difficulty

hawk2025

No joke, I built a $2000 PC and it was largely motivated by the desire to play DS2 at a very nice resolution and framerate. I'm typing this post from it right now.

...and yet I completely agree with you. We are starting to dismiss brand new, incredible looking games because of it. And while I completely understand, relate, AND have put money where my mouth is in search of 60fps and better graphics, it's also absolutely baffling to me that this is ruining games for so many people.

It's their prerogative, I'm not about to judge someone for their own preferences. If they think 30fps is a deal breaker, so be it. But I definitely agree that it's poisonous and counter-productive.

Seeing how high resolution isn't as important on consoles than pcs... Why strive for 1080p? Consoles benefit from being played farther from the screen. They could most likely lower the res to achieve 60fps and still maintain a nice picture.

I've gotta say, I have zero idea what you're talking about. That's total nonsense.

If they thought the 60fps was important, they could build the game around that. They clearly don't feel that way, and as such, are focussing on graphical fidelity. Fidelity that I will absolutely notice and care about on my TV.

MEsoJD

Banned
I've gotta say, I have zero idea what you're talking about. That's total nonsense.

If they thought the 60fps was important, they could build the game around that. They clearly don't feel that way, and as such, are focussing on graphical fidelity. Fidelity that I will absolutely notice and care about on my TV.

smh

Grewitch

I personally can't tell the difference between 30-60 fps unless someone sits me down and shows it to me (I'm not technically minded about this at all), so I'll leave that for you brave souls to discuss.

I can not wait for this game: I want to see it in action and I want to see them evolve the game play. Each piece of information between now and release will be like gold, and I'll be a very happy rich man.

Gorillaz

People will survive with 30 fps. It's ok lol

So it seems like they are doing some sort of closed doors press conference where they might do some gameplay?

People will survive with 30 fps. It's ok lol

So it seems like they are doing some sort of closed doors press conference where they might do some gameplay

The whole 60fps vs. 30fps should be clear. 60fps is better. However, anyone who finds anything below 60fps to be unacceptable must have despised last gen. The reality is, 30fps is entirely playable and many, many fantastic games are 30fps. If developers feel 60fps is essential to their experiences, they can certainly make it happen; it's a choice they make.

I really hope we get some gameplay out of the closed-door demo, or at the very least additional details. I have my doubts we'll hear all that much though. Hopefully they nail down some of those "souls" comparison questions.

T.O.P

Banned
60fps would be a wonderful surprise

But i'd be ok with solid 30fps too...and i mean solid

FROM....solid, k?

Paracelsus

So basically From is making the Castlevania people wanted but Konami could never give them, replacing it with God of Vania.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Respawn

Banned
Who the hell told you this? I have a native HD set so yes resolution matters. That's why we have HD TVs. 60fps is delicious but a locked 30 is also great dessert.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So basically From is making the Castlevania people wanted but Konami could never give them, replacing it with God of Vania.

Confused-Gary-Payton.gif

What? Everything he said was right. 60fps is a choice you make early on.

he means this:
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

Jesus it isn't that big of a deal if they can hit a solid 30 fps. Console dark souls 2 ran like a PowerPoint presentation this shouldn't.

Dark Souls 2's performance was far from perfect, but saying PowerPoint makes me think of the first one more than it's sequel. Going back to that right after playing Dark Souls 2 was a bit jarring performance wise. Otherwise, yeah I agree Bloodborne will probably run just fine.

I'm aware seating distance matters when it comes to picking up detail on a TV. It matters when it comes to a monitor too. However, given an HD TV where you're sitting at the proper viewing distance, resolution still absolutely matters, and the bigger the tv, or the closer you are too it, the more the resolution matters.

The notion that "consoles benefit from being played farther from the screen," is absolute nonsense. Benefits in what way? That your eyes are no longer able to make out graphical imperfections? That's true of everything you look at, and that isn't a benefit. The further away you are, the less detail you'll be able to make out. That doesn't make the image quality better.

I'm bummed that they're not calling this a Souls game. I'm now kinda worried that it might be too much of a departure...

The series needs a break, IMO. After DSII I told myself I was on hiatus from the series for a while and wouldn't even be excited if DSIII was announced today. Little did I know that announcing a spiritual successor to the series would be all From had to do to rekindle my excitement. I'm all aboard the Bloodborne train.

I'm aware seating distance matters when it comes to picking up detail on a TV. It matters when it comes to a monitor too. However, given an HD TV where you're sitting at the proper viewing distance, resolution still absolutely matters, and the bigger the tv, or the closer you are too it, the more the resolution matters.

The notion that "consoles benefit from being played farther from the screen," is absolute nonsense. Benefits in what way? That your eyes are no longer able to make out graphical imperfections? That's true of everything you look at, and that isn't a benefit. The further away you are, the less detail you'll be able to make out. That doesn't make the image quality better.

hey I don't disagree with you ! I thought you didn't understand part of his post (about resolution/distance) and pointed it out to you ...

hey I don't disagree with you ! I thought you didn't understand part of his post (about resolution/distance) and pointed it out to you ...

Oh, yeah, no I was pretty sure I understood, but the point the other poster posted still doesn't make any sense. I was just making my point clear. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was jumping on you about it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Upscaling artifacts aren't a nice picture.

banjoted

New details peeps!

Hello, PlayStation fans. This is Masaaki Yamagiwa from Japan Studio.
I am here to talk about a new Action RPG, Bloodborne, which will launch early 2015 exclusively for the PlayStation 4 console. Bloodborne is a new collaboration for us, being developed by FromSoftware and produced by SCE Japan Studio. This game will transport players to a dark and terror-filled gothic world, a world full of deranged beings and nightmarish creatures.

Bloodborne takes place in an ancient, forgotten city called Yharnam, known for an old medical remedy. Over the years, many hopeless and afflicted people have made long pilgrimages to Yharnam in search of help. As the main character, you are one of these travelers. However, you find that Yharnam is also cursed with a horrible endemic illness. You must navigate the perilous streets of this city, fighting off nightmarish creatures, malformed beasts and deranged mobs stricken with this horrific illness. Face your fears as you discover the secrets and mysteries of this dark and horrific world where danger, death and madness lurk around every corner.

In Bloodborne, the combat is based on intense life-threatening battles. One of the ways we are bringing that sense of danger to life is by keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns.

From the beautiful and melancholic architecture to the debris lining the street, Bloodborne will deliver an extremely rich and detailed world, all thanks to the power of the PlayStation 4 system. In addition, the PS4 system has allowed us to have an expanded draw distance, so we can show more of the world at any one time. New lighting effects allow us to add more atmosphere and tension to the game, making the horrifyingly detailed beasts and giant boss enemies you’ll be facing even more frightening.

I hope to be able to share more about our online features later this year, but I can say that we are developing new kinds of online experiences that allow users to share their adventures. We also look forward to giving fans new ways of playing and sharing thanks via the PS4 system’s Share capabilities.

Special message from Director Hidetaka Miyazaki:
“Creating Bloodborne as a completely new game on the new PlayStation 4 hardware has allowed us to really push the envelope in myriad ways. That being said, in more ways than one, it also very much retains our distinct, signature style. As has been at the core of our development philosophy since Demon’s Souls, we make true games for people who love games. Please watch for more to come on Bloodborne, and thank you very much for your support.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom