• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New boku no natsuyasumi game coming for switch, Crayon Shin-chan "Ora and Dr. Summer Vacation" -A Seven-Day Trip That Never Ends-

Impotaku

One of the handful of titles that the Japanese Nintendo direct got but not the west was this curious game. At first glance it looked familiar as i'm a huge fan of the playstation series of boku no natsuyasumi games where you live through a summer through the eyes of a kid just exploring, playing & having fun Japanese kid style. They are set in very scenic parts of rural Japan with each game taking place in a certain year. In Japan it's a pretty niche series & the only time the west got even a glimpse of it was via the attack of the friday monsters on 3DS. Seems that Kaz Ayabe who directed the original boku no natsuyasumi games is also making this one which is why it looks so similar to the boku natsu games of the past. While it's not an official follow on to the boku natsu series it's as close as we are going to see to this style of game nowadays.

This was the last time one would be released, this one was on PSP

And now we have one with crayon Shin chan, this new game is set in the Kumamoto prefecture of Japan so that means Kumamon will be in there somewhere, he already appears in the trailer as a cameo wonder if he will be in game too? totally looking forward to having a silly summer adventure combining the oddness of shin chans exploits with beautiful rural Japanese small town scenery.

Crayon Shin-chan "Ora and Dr. Summer Vacation" -A Seven-Day Trip That Never Ends-

I doubt many others outside Japan are excited but i thought it deserved a thread at least for the people that love the series this one comes from.

Last edited:

Impotaku

That looks really good, is it japan only for now? Looks so chill.
Sadly they are usually only released in Japan, this one having shin chan in it too makes it tricky to bring over. The only one we ever got that was attack of the friday monster on 3DS and that one was kind of it's own thing but kept the same beautiful graphical style but was made by the same director & dev team at millenium kitchen. All the other games were import only ones but thankfully most made it to PSP so that was region free and the 3rd game was released on PS3 so another region free game. Thank god the switch has no region restrictions either as i will be getting this come summer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FYI, "ora" is just Shin-chan's way of saying, I/me.

Something like my:
My Summer Vacation with the Professor

would be a bit more accurate for the title.

Impotaku

FYI, "ora" is just Shin-chan's way of saying, I/me.

Something like my:
My Summer Vacation with the Professor

would be a bit more accurate for the title.
I just copied the title from Nintendo's Japanese webpage that's how it was spelt on there although google translates as i browse so it may have mangled it.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Thats a huge part of the appeal of those games all of them use beautiful hand drawn artwork for the locations. It gives them a look all of their own, love the art enough to get the only artbook of the series i could find.

NanaMiku

Famitsu released the first gameplay video and also confirmed that it is the developer of Boku no Natsuyasumi that working on this game

CamHostage

Oh... I was wondering what the heck Impotaku was talking about for a second because Boku no Natsuyasumi is a Sony franchise (going all the way back to PS1, sadly the tradition ended at 4) and I couldn't imagine it was just now on Switch. But I get it now, spiritual successor...

Looks fun, I like the Shin-Chan simplistic character style implementation on the the painterly backgrounds, and the character seems like a fun one to just mess around in town. Will never get to play it (I held out hope for the PSP game but the series never got brought over,) but good to know it's out there.

NahaNago

I feel complicated about this trailer since I don't really like Crayon shin chan but I love the feel of the world in that trailer.

Impotaku

I was hoping it would be like the Doraemon x Story of Seasons game. Bandai Namco lately pretty good for bringing their Japanese games to Asian region with English text.

But the publisher of this game is Neos Corporation, which I never heard.
I forgot about Doraemon bokujou monogatari getting a western release that was pretty unexpected to say the least, maybe there's still a chance then as it's not like Doraemon games have ever been released in the west up to that point. Hell even the anime has only recently after all this time finally had a western dub. Shin chan did make it over here in anime form at least so it's not like he's totally unknown plus a few countries did get the shin chan DS games maybe they will take a risk on this as the switch does sell pretty great in most countries. Never heard of neos corporation either no idea if they are a totally new company or they have already made stuff, the last time one of these kind of games were released was attack of the friday monsters and that one was Kaz Ayabe and millenium kitchen working with level five.

Shinnosuke's exploits does change the tone of this game though compared to when it was just boku in them, thankfully i don't mind the clash of shin chans artstyle of the oddness of how he behaves but can understand how that would put someone off. It's been long overdue since a boku natsu style of game was released, in an ideal world i'd love to see the first 4 games get remastered into a compilation, the background art is so beautiful in these games it would be amazing so see them use it at full resolution especially for the older ones that made it onto PS1&2 but back in reality i'll take any new boku natsu game that i can get if it has the same feel of wandering around in the Japanese countryside. Looking forward to summer when this new game releases.

Last edited:

GonSama

The art direction is great:

output05d25b9f88909114232.png

output05d62ed0962cc19c1d8.png

output05db05c4ad9ea55d6a7.png

output05d2dc4a47792d977c2.png

Last edited:

Yohanov

Neo Member
Coming from bokunatsu the trailer gives me an impression of a weird crossover, not as charming and detailed as boku, and not really taking advantage of switch capabilities? Some of the backgrounds seem déjà vu and better in older 3ds/playstation games. I'll still play it though.

Meesh

All I can think of when I watch the trailer for Shin Chan, is him dancing the elephant to the beat of his odd ball shenanigans lol.
And it's just a plain ol' lovely day to do all that. Just plain lovely lol. I need to play this!

Ladioss

I've never even heard of the name 'boku no natsuyasumi' before and I've thrilled for this new Shin-chan game since the last Nintendo Direct. I hope it will eventually find its way to the West.

Rikku-X

If it doesn't come out in the west. Do theses games have Asian versions with english you sometimes see?

Last edited:

Meesh

I'll most certainly buy it if there's an option to have Morgan Freeman narrarate my daily exploits.

Every time I see chill Japanese games like these I wish Kiyohiko Azuma would have a Yotsuba&! game made by a decent studio. It could be a Shenmue style game where you're just kind of going through a pie-cut of the life of Yotsuba. Going fishing with her Dad and Jumbo, hanging out with the Ayase family next door, doing stupid shit that kids do. They could have "boss fights" against Yanda, the cardboard robot Danbo or any number of "bad guys" Yotsuba comes up with, real or not.

Last edited:

CamHostage

KW3RiJv.jpg

Just in time for Summer, Crayon Shin-Chan is making a worldwide vacation trip...

Not only will this unexpectedly bring this Japanese-only game to a global audience, with the addition of a PS4 port as well as the existing Switch version, Shin-Chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation will also be the first Boku No Natsuyasumi / My Summer Vacation-type game (outside of Attack of the Friday Monsters) to release outside of Japan.

Last edited:
Always thought that this was a Sony IP...guess I was wrong. It was certainly published by Sony, anyways, and Sony usually own all the IP that publish.
I'm not too fond of the choice of the character design for this chapter. it's way too zany for the tone that usually this serie has

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anyone knows what those "summer vacation" type of games are about? I'm interested in this one because of that artstyle, but have 0 idea of how it plays.

CamHostage

Anyone knows what those "summer vacation" type of games are about? I'm interested in this one because of that artstyle, but have 0 idea of how it plays.

I never played any of them myself (none were officially released or have an English-language version available,) but they're kind of lazy-summer adventure games where you wander around town talking with people and doing things like fishing, catching bugs, and doing other hobby activities. It's a life sim, maybe comparable to Animal Crossing (which the series predates.) This is a nice little quick write-up of the series:

https://www.dualshockers.com/boku-no-natsuyasumi-series-virtual-vacation-coronavirus-editorial/

The games were made for and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation by Millennium Kitchen, and had releases on all PS platforms through PSP/PS3. The series unfortunately ended for whatever reason (it may have been a casualty of the downfall of Japan Studios, even though the development team was external,) and even the planned mobile version never materialized. Designer Kaz Ayabe and his studio went on to participate in the Guild multi-game project with Level-5 for Nintendo 3DS to make Attack of the Friday Monsters!, which had some similarities, and then this Crayon Shin-Chan game is a spiritual successor to Boku no Natsuyasumi, with similar play mechanics and themes bolted onto a popular franchise

(If you don't recognize Shin-Chan, BTW, this is a popular and long-running Japanese anime and manga. It's about a little boy who's sort of dumb and sort of a wise-ass but also sometimes sort of sweet, all in a very Japanese way. He also often has his pants down and sometimes does the "Mr Elephant Dance"... The series can be about anything that goes on in the kid's day, but mostly it's little segments of family relations and schoolyard antics. Crayon Shin-Chan was was localized as Shin-Chan for a run on Adult Swim and DVD, albeit with heavy rewriting of dialog and even editing to enhance its comedy, which complicates things, although many people like the translation and the original Japanese show probably was too culturally dependent and out of date for an exact translation. You may or may not want to familiarize yourself with the show if you're interested in the game...)

DUBBED EPISODE

FANSUBBED EPISODE

(Activities in the Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation game are not unlike what Shin-Chan might get up to in an episode, so the franchise seems to fit the My Summer Vacation play style in some ways and some ways not. I'm not sure if the game actually has much of the comedy of Shin-Chan?)

Last edited:

Impotaku

This is digital only right?
for now yes, not sure if they are prepared to take the risk of releasing this physically. I'm amazed they actually went ahead and released it in english, if anyone wants to ever see anything else like this i suggest you show them by supporting them by picking it up on release as if it sells like garbage then they are not going to bother trying again if another ever gets made.

(Activities in the Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation game are not unlike what Shin-Chan might get up to in an episode, so the franchise seems to fit the My Summer Vacation play style in some ways and some ways not. I'm not sure if the game actually has much of the comedy of Shin-Chan?)

There's a bit of comedy but nothing as wild as the manga/anime in the game shinchan's main comedy comes from his usual quirk of mishearing what's been said & choosing something silly or inappropriate as the word he heard. Some of the comedy is probably not going to translate well as a few of his jokes rely on japanese wordplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom