• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bulletstorm Trailer: Revenge, Demo tomorrow

angelfly

Have they said whether it will be a SP or MP demo? The SP is the only part I want to get my hands on since the co-op focused multiplayer doesn't interest me much.

S1kkZ

angelfly said:
Have they said whether it will be a SP or MP demo? The SP is the only part I want to get my hands on since the co-op focused multiplayer doesn't interest me much.
demo has the echo mode. its like an arcade mode with some levels from the sp.

eshwaaz

Gameplay looks really fun, but the vulgarity-ridden "funny" comments are atrocious. I hope you can turn the voice off; I don't want to be constantly assaulted by dialog written by a ten year old.

GeoramA

I really like the whole "create your own fun" concept. Just Cause 2 perfected it, hopefully this one does as well.

Rainier

Hopefully there's a way to switch off the annoying BUTT TWISTER! - SCROTUM SLAM! - I JUST FUCKING ANALLY RAPED YOU IN A TOTALLY NON-GAY WAY! text that pops up every 2 seconds.

Edit:
eshwaaz said:
Gameplay looks really fun, but the vulgarity-ridden "funny" comments are atrocious. I hope you can turn the voice off; I don't want to be constantly assaulted by dialog written by a ten year old.
Beaten
In a totally non-gay way

derFeef

EviLore said:
bulletstormnightmare.jpg

It's the stuff of nightmares.
Is there a tl;dr version of this shot somewhere?

DJMicLuv

Looks really dumb! Can't wait to play it!

And colours? In a modern FPS? What's the world coming to?

This, along with DNF, and Bodycount, make this year quite exciting for old-school FPS games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DancingJesus said:
Embarrassing for the industry...

At least it knows what it is and has fun doing it. I think all those terribly written overly melodramatic grimdark gorefests are far more embarrasing.

EatChildren said:
At least it knows what it is and has fun doing it. I think all those terribly written overly melodramatic grimdark gorefests are far more embarrasing.

Like?

I thought we were passed this...

Games like this prove Roger Ebert right. I can only imagine the online community for this game.

big_z

i cant remember if it was the rebelfm guys or someone from ign that said this game wasnt very good. im still curious though since i like shooting people in the dick but i kind of think this should be budget priced.

gdt

DancingJesus said:
Like?

Games like this prove Roger Ebert right. I can only imagine the online community for this game.

You need to stop worrying what Roger Ebert thinks about games.

Different games for for different things, that's all. Just like some movies, books, and bands go for different things.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DancingJesus said:
Like?

Shit, I don't know, the Call of Duty series? You know like how the game is constantly making this point about how war is hell god bless the soldiers rarr rarr and then you graphically cut a Vietcong soldier's throat and marvel at his gurgling larynx, followed by a rocking cinematic score and a bunch of explosions?

Juvenility exists all over the goddamn industry including in a vast majority of the games that try to be serious. In case you didn't notice these are videogames. They're slosh entertainment. Shit like Bulletstorm is no different to Commando, Predator, Machete or any other pulpy cinematic crap that despite not being a deep and moving artistic masterpiece is still goddamn fun to experience.

Roger Ebert's complaint about gaming was that he didn't believe any games contained content which transend the experience to create a deep, moving, and meaningful work of art. A vast, vast majority of games have not and will never accomplish this, and if it ever gets to this stage not all gaming will adhere to this vision, just as not all films do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DancingJesus said:

Tell us how you really feel.

"Damn kids and their fun, GET OFF MY LAWN."

gdt said:
You need to stop worrying what Roger Ebert thinks about games.

And this as well. Just because we want to have some fun killing people and messing around with their corpse/before we kill them doesn't mean "OMG GAMES AREN'T GROWING UP"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DancingJesus said:
Like?

I don't care what anybody says. The cursing in this game is a work of art.

TheSeks said:
Tell us how you really feel.

"Damn kids and their fun, GET OFF MY LAWN."

And this as well. Just because we want to have some fun killing people and messing around with their corpse/before we kill them doesn't mean "OMG GAMES AREN'T GROWING UP"

I don't have a problem with games killing people. If I did, I wouldn't be playing video games. Nor do I care what Roger Ebert thinks, however if games want to be accepted into the upper-echelons of art, you can't have stuff like this muddying the waters. It is so loud and brass it outweighs the subtle approaches of games like Bioshock or what have you. As a graphic designer, it is frustrating to see video games not get the respect they deserve from my peers.

Bulletstorm purposefully and tastelessly overuses the words "Motherfucker" "Shit" and/or makes immature sex jokes. It just seems to me that this game was built to appeal to fourteen year olds who think it's cool. I think those words can be really powerful, if done right and are used in seldom. If you think that's appealing, then by all means go for it. I've just lost a little faith in the gaming community.

Zeliard

DancingJesus said:
Like?

One product doesn't convey an entire medium. Titles like this and Duke are designed to harken back to goofy 90s shooters and offer a contrast to the deluge of mostly-mediocre military shooters we've had the past several years.

Ebert doesn't look at a film like Shoot 'Em Up and go "man, all films are absurd and violent," and anyone with any sense wouldn't do something similar with another medium.

As far as Bulletstorm goes, I would have preferred they kept out the Modern Warfare-influenced +8456854 AWESOME level up text bullshit littering the screen, as well as not stuck to a 2-weapon system (this goes for Duke as well). But it's still Quake acolytes People Can Fly - they made Painkiller and that game was handsome and controlled beautifully. The multiplayer was exquisite. Bulletstorm seems concerned only with single-player but I still expect a game that controls like a dream and has great level design, and that'll be good enough these days.

dankir

DancingJesus said:
This game looks like it was designed by twelve year olds who just discovered curse words.

Embarrassing for the industry...

Good Lord you posted this in both forums?? HAHAHA

dankir said:
Good Lord you posted this in both forums?? HAHAHA

I was curious what fellow, level headed GAFers thought of this whole matter. Gametrailers isn't exactly filled with the best and brightest. Glad to know you're one of them.

Zeliard said:
One product doesn't convey an entire medium. Titles like this and Duke are designed to harken back to goofy 90s shooters and offer a contrast to the deluge of mostly-mediocre military shooters we've had the past several years.

Ebert doesn't look at a film like Shoot 'Em Up and go "man, all films are absurd and violent," and anyone with any sense wouldn't do something similar with another medium.

As far as Bulletstorm goes, I would have preferred they kept out the Modern Warfare-influenced +8456854 AWESOME level up text bullshit littering the screen, as well as not stuck to a 2-weapon system (this goes for Duke as well). But it's still Quake acolytes People Can Fly - they made Painkiller and that game was handsome and controlled beautifully. The multiplayer was exquisite. Bulletstorm seems concerned only with single-player but I still expect a game that controls like a dream and has great level design, and that'll be good enough these days.

The problem is, movies never had the reputation or stigma that video games have always had attached to them. While it is understood that all movies are not works of art, it isn't the same for games.

eshwaaz said:
I don't want to be constantly assaulted by dialog written by a ten year old.

The whole game looks like it was designed by a 10-year old. I've never seen this much bad art all collected in one place, seriously. This ugly game does not only contribute nothing; it actually devalues the whole videogame enterprise.

And saying it's tongue in cheek doesn't change that.

DancingJesus said:
The problem is, movies never had the reputation or stigma that video games have always had attached to them. While it is understood that all movies are not works of art, it isn't the same for games.

So because of that we shouldn't be able to have games like Bulletstorm that are clearly built to just be a ton of fun? I play games to have fun, and I really don't care whether or not some snobby critics think of them as art. As long as they're fun then that's good enough for me.

SolidSnakex said:
So because of that we shouldn't be able to have games like Bulletstorm that are clearly built to just be a ton of fun? I play games to have fun, and I really don't care whether or not some snobby critics think of them as art. As long as they're fun then that's good enough for me.

As I said earlier:

Bulletstorm purposefully and tastelessly overuses the words "Motherfucker" "Shit" and/or makes immature sex jokes. It just seems to me that this game was built to appeal to fourteen year olds who think it's cool. I think those words can be really powerful, if done right and are used in seldom. If you think that's appealing, then by all means go for it. I've just lost a little faith in the gaming community.

Aaron

This is like the terrible recent EA ad campaigns like 'your mom hates dead space' condensed into videogame form. Like the ultimate expression of middle-aged marketing execs who know Call of Duty is popular but have no idea why, so designed a game of what they think will sell.

Aaron said:
This is like the terrible recent EA ad campaigns like 'your mom hates dead space' condensed into videogame form. Like the ultimate expression of middle-aged marketing execs who know Call of Duty is popular but have no idea why, so designed a game of what they think will sell.

Couldn't of said it better. But apparently, people are eating this stuff up.

perryfarrell said:
The whole game looks like it was designed by a 10-year old. I've never seen this much bad art all collected in one place, seriously. This ugly game does not only contribute nothing; it actually devalues the whole videogame enterprise.

And saying it's tongue in cheek doesn't change that.
Oh come on. (I miss the laughing smiley so much.)

DancingJesus said:
As I said earlier:

Bulletstorm purposefully and tastelessly overuses the words "Motherfucker" "Shit" and/or makes immature sex jokes. It just seems to me that this game was built to appeal to fourteen year olds who think it's cool.
Or gamers who grew up with Duke Nukem and remember when games used to be silly and funny and not all this sad brown gray super-serious Call of Duty shit.

lol @ people getting all uppity about this when the whole point of the game is that it doesn't even take itself seriously.

There are versions of Bulletstorm across EVERY single form of entertainment you can think of. All that "embarrassing to videogames" stuff is nonsense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Net_Wrecker said:
There are versions of Bulletstorm across EVERY single form of entertainment you can think of. All that "embarrassing to videogames" stuff is nonsense.

B-B-BUT WHAT WILL MY GIRLFRIEND/WIFE AND HER FAMILY THINK BECAUSE I'M A 30 YEAR OLD BUYING A "FUN" SHOOTER! GRRR. ANGER. VIDEOGAMES AREN'T GROWING UP TO CATER TO MY TASTE. GRRRR.

This is indeed the American Vanquish.

Not really, no. :/

TheSeks said:
B-B-BUT WHAT WILL MY GIRLFRIEND/WIFE AND HER FAMILY THINK BECAUSE I'M A 30 YEAR OLD BUYING A "FUN" SHOOTER! GRRR. ANGER. VIDEOGAMES AREN'T GROWING UP TO CATER TO MY TASTE. GRRRR.

Not really, no. :/

Mature response from a fan of a mature game.

Glad we can have a reasonable discusion without resulting into capslock.

Oh sweet, the combos will pucker my butthole according to the trailer. I hope the weapon types tense up my urethra. I can only wish that the number of enemy models will contract my vas deferens. I can't wait until the multiplayer modes restrict my Cowper's gland.

TheSeks said:

They don't even have time to worry about what their family is saying in between looking at their pocket watches, smoking their pipes, and adjusting their monocles while playing Okami, and ICO.

John

DancingJesus said:
As I said earlier:

living in a postmodern society must be really hard for you

Zeliard

DancingJesus said:

And that isn't the medium's problem. There are a very wide variety of games. If someone chooses to be ignorant of that, that's their own problem. Gaming doesn't have a job to do in that regard. One need simply take a better look. Nearly all of the controversy around gaming is manufactured by those ignorant of what it is they're trying to criticize.

Top Bottom