• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Castlevania DS in developed

PG-Iceman

Greetings from Germany,

we just had the chance to talk to Koji Igarashi during an Games Convention interview and asked him about the future of Castlevania on handhelds.

His translator told us that he is working on a new DS Castlevania and after the PSP version will be released he want's to see how successfull it will be. If the sales are good, a further PSP title would be something to think about.

The full interview will be released soon on PlaystationPortable.de but only in German.

PkunkFury

nice! I'm probably one of the few people who still isn't sick of the formula. I hope this is finally the Julius game

TreIII

Hmmm...well, I suppose that wasn't much of a surprise. The informant from GFaqs, PORTRAITofRUIN, has hinted at the notion of a new DS title months ago (and it will probably be the 1999 title, too).

Though I can't say that the whole "we'll see how it does" thing makes me pleased. The game basically is not only the lifeline for the series on the PSP, but also the lifeline of "classic-vania" itself. The whole notion reeks of IGA just happily sending both on the chopping block, and basically using the argument of "if not enough people show up, they must not CARE!" to use as an excuse to axe 'em both.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I don't know if I can take anymore of that godawful art they used for DoS/PoR.

Looking forward to it all the same though.

No, it's not the art, it is the repetition in gameplay.

Stop ripping off metroid and come up with more classic castlevania. I would buy this 3rd iteration as soon as it comes out, but please go down a different path.

Goddamnit, IGA. All I want is the Battle of 1999. That's all. PSP, DS, fuck, it could be on the PS3 if you wanted to put it there. Just make it so I can play it.

_dementia said:
ppk.gif

DoS was great. PoR was... good.

_dementia said:

There's really no doubt about it, though. I've played the hell out of both of them. In some ways I prefer Dawn to Symphony, even. Thought Portrait could have been a little better but hard mode really adds a lot more to it.

_Angelus_

Banned
The DS ones have been all sprite based visuals so far,right? I'm loving how the upcoming PSP polygon based Castlevaia is looking so far,really a fresh new style in my eyes. I wonder if they may opt to build the new DS game with polygons now as well.

Or have they done this already? I really haven't played much of the DS Castlevanias to know for sure.

sprocket

Banned
Do they think a 2d castlevania wouldn't sell on home consoles? They would sell a hell of a lot more than the last 2 3d games thats for sure.

Zeed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Goddamnit, IGA. All I want is the Battle of 1999. That's all. PSP, DS, fuck, it could be on the PS3 if you wanted to put it there. Just make it so I can play it.
No, because then it would be in 3D, and consequently it'd be shit.

PSP or DS please.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Stop ripping off metroid and come up with more classic castlevania. I would buy this 3rd iteration as soon as it comes out, but please go down a different path.

Sure that'd be an issue if there were any new 2D Metroids on the way but eh well.
Besides we all know what route this game is going to take(it's Koji afterall) so I may as well ask for some better presentation while I play.

Hopefully the level design isn't too horrible..that's all that I ask for. Oh maybe up the droprates a little bit. A full online coop mode would be sweet as well(good luck with that one).

Saitou

Banned
Zeed said:

Make it happen.
Despite not liking DoS and only mildly enjoying AoS, this really, really should happen. It should be used to tie in PoR and A/DoS. And it would be most awesome.

Giard

Come on, none of the 2 DS games were bad, even though they were very similar. Like everyone, hoping this is the battle of 1999.

I liked both DoS and PoR... I don't get what's so bad about them. Yeah, they were more of the same... but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like they copied a system that didn't work to begin with.

SomeDude

Banned
I hope he adds some new stuff or soemthing...there's been like 5 sequels to SOTN, and none of them have topped SOTN either.

I'd rather it take place far in the future and you had to fight cyborg versions of everything. It seems no matter what time period the game takes place in 90% of the weapons are stuck in the Middle Ages. Getting tired of that. Also Dracula's Castle should take place in a Space Station or maybe an alien planet.

Oh and the main character should be a woman.

Ayami Kojima's art + cyborgs = drool

Mamesj

Banned
I am so sick to death of these games. Character switching was kinda cool in PoR but not enough to prevent me from realizing I'm bored as hell of the Castetroid formula.

not that PoR was worse than DoS imo. in fact, I'd say it's better since it's basically the same game but with more features.

edit: but I do want to love the series again. Hopefully this will be a big change, or else I'll file the series under "Maddenized"

andthebeatgoeson

+1 from someone who liked the recent DS iterations better than old school Castlevania. Yeah, I have to still play Symphony of the Nights but I like the new gameplay. And I liked Castlevania 2 better than 3 and 1. So, bleh to you all.

sphinx

the piano man
the thing is, this announcement seems like an indirect revelation that home console castlevanias are gone for good...

notice how everything is DS and PSP now.

I remember how pissed off was iga with the reception of CoD.

sad, indeed.

Top Bottom