• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New concept art for Sonic & friends through the ages shown at 25th anniversary event

MrBadger

I like how Sonic has his pointer finger out in every single "Adventure" concept art. That must've been done as a way to bridge the designs.

Also, all of those Blaze & Big concepts are fantastic! And I know the "We got the best Shadow" had been discussed to death, but is it just me, or do those concept Shadows look like he's a robot?

The bottom right one definitely. The lack of mouth, black eyes and circular pupils make him look like Metal Sonic

2615859-hyper_metal_sonic_rubbing_his_nose.jpg

I think as a design it'd make a decent throwaway Sonic clone boss, but it's definitely not the design of a recurring character. They made the right call with his final design.

G0523

These designs look pretty cool. I like how they were still trying to keep the pot bellied Sonic for his Adventure redesign but eventually dropped it.

Village

Wow, Shadow could have been so much worse!

Edit: Also Blaze is probably the best character to come out of the modern era. They really should give her a larger role in the series.
No one cares about her including the people who work on the games who admitted they threw her in sonic 06 and changed her back story because they forgot.

You see tails knuckles amy and shadow around still for a reason folks like em. I do to, I also like blaze, but im not going to pretend Folks care about her. It sucks, i wish they cared more but they dont, even the comics regularly throw her under a bus. Heck we haven't even seen her in a hot minute in the comics.

Her and silver have the same issue of being introduced with the intent of being cool. And thats fine being cool is kind of what sonic is about, way past sometimes. But previous cool guy character was so well designed so well (whether you like shadows design or not dude still occupies 2nd most popular character spot and is not, or was not active in games for a while. That a good design ) that it ate the ones that came after it's, lunch.

This phenomenon isnt uncommon in games two particlar examples from pokemon from a design I hate and one I like, Mewtwo and Lucario. Pokemon so well designed that that they dominate the space they occupy, and absense like in mewtwo's case doesnt take away the characters popularity at all.

There is problably an interesting thing to be written about this, because it isnt game specific and there could problably be some analysis done on these characters designs. I want to do it, but im going to leave it here for now.

There could also be some analysis on sonic character designs in general and how most of them tend to survive bad games unscathed.

RomanceDawn

I really like these! Well most of them anyway. I couldn't care less for Silver. Those shadow designs are just yucko patooie!

- - - -

I have a nice collection of Sonic statue collectables and I'd like to frame some of these concept art pictures and present them along side the statues. Like some kind of museum piece I guess. I don't think I'll ever get something like an original sketch of something like this so these would have to do.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what kind of paper I could print these on? Something that would look decent under a frame and not too tacky?

Kid Heart

I like Shadow's final design a lot. I feel it works quite well as an antithesis to Sonic. Those early designs though....yeesh.

Why did they pick the most boring design for Big? I'd actually like him if he looked anything like his concept art.

Those Shadows, though. Glad they toned it down for his final design.

Village

So the interesting part of those prototypes shadows are that the top row has muscles, shadow one his lesser known powers has super strength so it would be interesting if they were planning to incorperate that in his first appearence.

The 2nd interesting thing about that is, sonic boom knuckles to make him muscular doubled his size and gave him non defined arms. And ive seen sonic fan art that makes knuckles and shadow muscular like that to differentiate them. And some of them are ok, but ive always wanted to see an official take on that. And now that I have and it looks fine in proportion . Boom knuckles looks extra like garbage.

Rlan

No one cares about her including the people who work on the games who admitted they threw her in sonic 06 and changed her back story because they forgot.

You see tails knuckles amy and shadow around still for a reason folks like em. I do to, I also like blaze, but im not going to pretend Folks care about her. It sucks, i wish they cared more but they dont, even the comics regularly throw her under a bus. Heck we haven't even seen her in a hot minute in the comics.

Her and silver have the same issue of being introduced with the intent of being cool. And thats fine being cool is kind of what sonic is about, way past sometimes. But previous cool guy character was so well designed so well (whether you like shadows design or not dude still occupies 2nd most popular character spot and is not, or was not active in games for a while. That a good design ) that it ate the ones that came after it's, lunch.

This phenomenon isnt uncommon in games two particlar examples from pokemon from a design I hate and one I like, Mewtwo and Lucario. Pokemon so well designed that that they dominate the space they occupy, and absense like in mewtwo's case doesnt take away the characters popularity at all.

There is problably an interesting thing to be written about this, because it isnt game specific and there could problably be some analysis done on these characters designs. I want to do it, but im going to leave it here for now.

There could also be some analysis on sonic character designs in general and how most of them tend to survive bad games unscathed.

Doesn't help that she either lives in another dimension or far flung future to be a regular cast member. Also that her nemesis is a Negative Eggman, which is just Eggman in alternate clothes. Captain Whiskers was so much cooler!

Village

Doesn't help that she either lives in another dimension or far flung future to be a regular cast member. Also that her nemesis is a Negative Eggman, which is just Eggman in alternate clothes. Captain Whiskers was so much cooler!

I dunno blaze was by the 06 stage in generations, they may have reforgot.

cordy

Banned
The Adventure Era was pretty dope with designs. While they tried to keep the "cool stylish" thing up it had a unique artstyle to it that fit well.

Shang

Loving that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit looking Sonic in the first picture. Early Sonic designs are still my favorite.

I dunno blaze was by the 06 stage in generations, they may have reforgot.
It's just a nod to her being in the game, like Knuckles next to Sky Sanctuary. They remember. Kinda. She's officially from another dimension still, but Eggman Nega is from the future now.

...Don't think about it.

I thought I remember people liking Boom's concept art? Granted, I think they mostly liked the weird Don Bluth-looking one, which is absent here.

I like the conceptual art for when the final designs were nailed down, that being the expression art and some environmental art. I also liked some of the early concepts where Sonic was dramatically different if only for the novelty of it. (Dunno if I play a "sonic" game with that, but I'd still be interested.)

Here, this particular group of concepts aren't all that appealing.

You can just feel the Jak and Daxter in these designs. I'm starting to turn around on these. haha

IlkmzMy.png

Can we talk about the character designs in Unleashed? The one game to nail the aesthetic of humans in Sonic's world.

latest

I think they're great but I feel they lost a lot of charm in their transition to 3D.

Except Wentos

Honestly proud of Sega for getting Shadow right. He could've gone very, very wrong.

Still don't like Silver's final design though. He's always looked odd and unrefined - like he needed a few more revisions.

Those Shadow designs. wew

I like this Sonic
Ke76Yjq.png

Blaze had a pretty interesting development. Not as varied as Silver's evidently, but I like the look of most of hers.

That is actually a nice blend of old and modern Sonic, they should reconsider this design if moving forward or do some retro release ala Megaman 9 & 10.

I think they're great but I feel they lost a lot of charm in their transition to 3D.
I can agree with that. I think the burlier/uglier characters tended to look better than the ones who were supposed to be cute.

In any case I would kill for a 2D Sonic cartoon in the Unleashed universe. I liked how they have all the villagers their own little subplots.

Top Bottom