• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New concept art surfaces from unknown and unreleased Star Wars game(s)

None of these look like they belong in Star Wars at all, it's like the completely misunderstood what Star Wars is and went for a generic modern advanced/futuristic alien sci-fi setting instead.

A-V-B

FSbvy3G.jpg

Masahiro Ito's Star Wars

I feel like this perfectly exemplifies what's wrong with a lot of star wars designs in other games and movies outside of the OT and it's the overuse of the older imagery rather than making new designs that fit in with the pre established universe.

Zomba13

I feel that those weird stormtrooper helmets would fit and make sense if it was stormtroopers of different races. We only really ever see humans (or human shape people) wear them.

D i Z

Those Trooper designs look like the premise was to put other species and not just clones under the hood. The unifying motif's just don't hold up at all though.

At least on the Stormtrooper front, I kinda get like the vague sense that it was maybe meant to be a game based on the Empire's attempts to chart the Unknown Regions?

For those unfamiliar, in Star Wars the 'Unknown Regions' are areas of space that are minimally understood at best, and otherwise largely unknown in terms of what's simply there - hence the name. The largest chunk of it is in what's considered the 'galactic west' (as in, the left side of any map of the Star Wars galaxy), and in the old EU it was a common favourite for writers who wanted to introduce some weird shit. It was also a favourite place to have Imperials that were away from the action of the Galactic Civil War proper, owing to Timothy Zahn applying such an explanation to the fairly beloved character of Admiral Thrawn.

So yeah, that art reads to me like Stormtroopers stationed in the Unknown Regions, recruiting species that no-one back home has ever seen before, and fighting monsters that freak them the fuck out. Wonder if Mnggal-Mnggal would have appeared at one point.

Seems like some pretty imaginative concepts, would have loved to see their fruition. Perhaps once Disney's comfortable with their soft rebooting then we can see something similarly out-there from EA (perhaps even another publisher once their exclusivity lapses).

Monocle

The armor in the first batch resembles fanart where someone tries to combine classic trooper aesthetics with some type of cultural influence. A super cookie cutter concept design approach. That style is all wrong for Star Wars, but could be cool in a totally unrelated game.

Those monsters are in line with what you'd expect from Huante. There's nothing Star Warsey about them at all.

A neat peek behind the scenes, but any decent art director would reject all this stuff in a hot second.

Top Bottom