• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crash game is in development by Toys for Bob

ManaByte

Gold Member
Crash 4 was great. Good news.

FJ4hqI1WQAQbvSA

Last edited:

CosmicComet

I'm still kinda thrown for a loop that in the end MS ended up owning Spyro AND Crash whereas Sony never did. What a twist of fate.

Like, owning the corpse of Bungie while MS still has the Halo IP is not really a suitable counterpunch. Especially since all their new games will remain multiplatform.

Doom85

Whoa, I could have swore I heard Activision dissolved them. Glad to hear it‘s not so.

But come on, I like Crash, but we just had Crash 4. If we follow the pattern:

-Crash Remastered trilogy
-Spyro Remastered trilogy
-Crash Team Racing Remastered
-Crash 4

Then logically Spyro 4 should be next.

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

Mattyp

Gold Member
Crash bash remaster with online please.
Not sure who owns the IP though.

Microsoft you would assume the IP was only leant out by Sony, but you’re right this could be brilliant online game. Just do a full new title, Kung Fu Chaos would make awesome online to.

Time for a Kingdom Hearts cross over of Banjo, Crash, Spyro, Conker etc.

Robb

Gold Member
Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Very happy to hear that!

Would also love a Spyro 4 based on the same engine that they did the Spyro trilogy in.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Crash 4 is a fantastic sequel. It takes everything that made the trilogy so good and cranked everything up to 11, creating the most consistently good Crash game ever released. It's the game that should've been released in 2001 instead of Wrath of Cortex.
The level design is top-notch, the visuals are beautiful, the presentation superb, the controls are better than ever, and it has a mechanical depth never seen before in the series. After years of mediocre and shitty games this was exactly what Crash needed. Toys for Bob did a great job. They got it down to a science. A-

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
As cringe as "get gud" is, sometimes it's exactly what needs to be said. Seems like not a lot of people are good when platforming games require a little bit more input than holding a stick and pressing a button every once in a while. Crash 4 is very fair and polished, a lot more than the trilogy (the bridge levels is just one example), and also not nearly as dated. It is challenging, yes, but it's exactly the type of challenge a seasoned player of platformers can get behind. Getting rewarded for every tiny thing seems also like a weird concept to me.
And how someone can look a mediocrity like Wrath of Cortex, garbage like Crash of the Titans, and unfinished messes like Twinsanity and say those are better than Crash 4, one of the best platformers of the last 10 years, is also beyond me. Whatever I guess, it's just a take among billions, even though this one is almost at the level of Jaffe's Metroid take, especially when you consider that Crash was difficulty from the very start. Just wanted to say that Crash 4 is a fair challenge, and if you suck at it you can either A) "get gud" or B) hope the devs will put in a difficulty setting... oh wait, that's exactly what they did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skifi28

Didn't they announce a few months ago that they would now become a support studio for COD or WoW or something? Was it only temporary?

Last edited:
CTR PC first of all.
I was thinking new CTR for next gen platforms.

Mario Kart sells a shitload and has no competition on PS and Xbox platforms. I think CTR didn't sell more last gen because they didn't do enough sales under $30 and didn't do DLC.

EDIT: They did DLC. Free DLC at that, but didn't promote it/I didn't heard of it. Activision marketing is too focused on Call of Duty to market and grow these.

EDIT2: Also, the developer for CTR was Beenox, not Toys for Bob.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking new CTR for next gen platforms.

Mario Kart sells a shitload and has no competition on PS and Xbox platforms. I think CTR didn't sell more last gen because they didn't do enough sales under $30 and didn't do DLC.

EDIT: They did DLC. Free DLC at that, but didn't promote it/I didn't heard of it. Activision marketing is too focused on Call of Duty to market and grow these.

EDIT2: Also, the developer for CTR was Beenox, not Toys for Bob.
they got MTX money, so no need for DLCs.

Varteras

Gold Member
Didn't they announce a few months ago that they would now become a support studio for COD or WoW or something? Was it only temporary?
Vicarious Visions was folded into Blizzard. Toys For Bob was put to work on Call of Duty but I don't think it was the entirety of the studio. Plus, it sounds like Activision was planning on moving away from annual CoD titles. If that's true, then they were probably freed from being a support team as quickly as they became one.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Whoa, I could have swore I heard Activision dissolved them. Glad to hear it‘s not so.

But come on, I like Crash, but we just had Crash 4. If we follow the pattern:

-Crash Remastered trilogy
-Spyro Remastered trilogy
-Crash Team Racing Remastered
-Crash 4

Then logically Spyro 4 should be next.

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

They dissolved vicarious visions who is just as good. Those THPS remakes and the diablo 2 remake were the best thing Activision put out in a long time, and then they’re like fuck these guys let’s make them a support studio.

Hopefully Uncle Phil will right this wrong.

Nah have Double Fine make Banjo 3. You need great comedic writing for a game like Banjo and Double Fine is the bear in the business for that. Not to mention Psychonauts 2 is also a 3D platformer and one of the best games of that year.
That's actually an insane good fit.

But I don't see Tim Schafer wanting to do anything with it. I might be wrong.

TidusYuna

Nah have Double Fine make Banjo 3. You need great comedic writing for a game like Banjo and Double Fine is the bear in the business for that. Not to mention Psychonauts 2 is also a 3D platformer and one of the best games of that year.

I'm fine with that too. Just don't absorb Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob into call of duty development. Let them make games that they want, they are talented.

Crash 4 was pretty psycho with the late-game difficulty, massive stages and especially the collectibles... but I'd take it over Spyro. The first Spyro was fine but the sequels sucked ass imo. I just want a game where I can do some quick, concise levels and not faff about with minigames or picking up doodads

freefornow

Not after what they did with Crash 4. Jesus Christ those levels were long and needlessly hard from the start. They seriously don't get what makes these games fun.

Good remakes though. If they do more like the trilogy, fine.
Yeah, some may like that challenge, but for me it was far beyond what any other Crash game was. Fun number 4 was not (well not my idea of platforming fun).

Last edited:
Top Bottom