• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 4Gamer Director Interview [full translation now available]

Got to say, I think the human girl in the trailer is the sorrow he is talking about. I bet you she turns in to a giant puppy dog and we have to fight it.

Thanks for the translation, I became a fan on dark souls from watching my friend play demon souls and I got hooked by the wonderful setting and feel of the combat.

SerRodrik

That was...actually somewhat reassuring. Hopefully this stays on track. It sounds like he gets it, more or less. Paranoia disengaged (for now).

Oh wow that interview got me even more hyped. I never doubted this game and as expected the nervous nannies are coming around once the decent were able to speak for themselves.

Defuser

Shibuya's interview sounds very reassuring, he seems to know what he is doing and what makes the soul series appealing. Let's just hope his ideas and improvements is of a good thing.

Grief.exe

4Gamer:
You spoke about already having a large fan base, but how are you planning to adjust the difficult in Dark Souls II? To be honest, I can’t help but think that the needs of your existing fans and that of new players might be conflicting.

Shibuya:
Just as you say, it’s a difficult proposition. That’s why we plan on making the early parts of the game comparatively less difficult to ease new players in, and then at a certain point, we’ll tell them “this is where the real game begins.”

4Gamer:
So, a “The real Demon’s Souls starts here.” type of thing?

Shibuya:
Exactly. In reality, I’m sure we’ll get quite a few new players with Dark Souls II, but existing players will probably represent the majority, so we need to make sure we satisfy their needs.

YES! YES! YES!

We are saved.

Someone had to stop catering to the lowest common denominator and I'm glad From is the one to do it.

Orayn

YES! YES! YES!

We are saved.

Someone had to stop catering to the lowest common denominator and I'm glad From is the one to do it.

There was another really good quote from Miyazaki that surfaced around the release of Dark Souls. It amounted to, "There are plenty of other developers out there making games for everyone, but From Software has always been about enthusiasts so we're going to keep making that kind of game." It warms the cockles of my heart that Shibuya seems to understand this.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, this all sounds great.

Fears lifted, at least until the next terrible site/magazine decides to play with my feelings again.

Grief.exe

There was another really good quote from Miyazaki that surfaced around the release of Dark Souls. It amounted to, "There are plenty of other developers out there making games for everyone, but From Software has always been about enthusiasts so we're going to keep making that kind of game." It warms the cockles of my heart that Shibuya seems to understand this.

Excellent quote.

Hypron

I was never worried about the game, so that interview only increases my hype. Hopefully it'll calm down all the people that freaked out when the Edge article was released.

so many one punch man avatars.... (man ch 20 was tits!)

my concerns have dwindled down, but i'm still cautiously optimistic.

now i am probably more interested in that new IP miyazaki is making. i wonder if its another rpg...

Midou

Sounds exactly like what I was expecting this whole time. Both from Miyazaki and the new director, they seem to know exactly what people want and expect. I can continue to not become bothered by the issues some have invented.

Shibuya said:
Dark Souls is a title that already has a very large fan base, so first and foremost, I think it’s important to make sure we don’t let those players down. As such, we don’t plan on changing the framework for Dark Souls II. On the contrary, we are focusing on really highlighting the best parts of the previous game and going in that direction. The concept is to give the game a major upgrade while leaving the good parts of Dark Souls as-is.

Like this. Not trying to make it open world, not going in some odd new direction to try to get new players. They even specifically say they are expecting the majority of players to be returning and are making it based off that.

They're so bad at keeping secrets. It's obvious that the game takes place in the past, and that we'll see familiar faces from Dark/Demon's Souls. If the answer to a question is no, they'll say no. If they say they can't comment, that always means yes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And the last part. Sorry again for the delay. There isn't much in this part:

4Gamer:
Dark Souls II has become a title with big expectations from players around the world. Do the two of you feel pressured at all?

Shibuya:
I’m very much aware of how big everyone's expectations are, so I need to make sure I don’t let our players down.

Miyazaki:
I also feel strongly that I want to meet everyone’s expectations.
However, since this is my first time playing the role of supervisor, and since I’m not directly involved in the development, there’s a certain frustration there, but I’ll do my best.

4Gamer:
To change the subject again, I wanted to mention that Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition won the PlayStation Awards 2012 User’s Choice Award. Congratulations!

Miyazaki:
Thank you. The timing of the game's release must have been right near the end of the voting period, so I was very surprised. It’s always such an honor to win the User’s Choice Award. I’m very thankful for everyone that voted for us.

4Gamer:
How many units did Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls end up selling?

Miyazaki:
I’m not in the position to comment on the sales of Demon’s Souls, but in regards to Dark Souls, I think it's over 1.5 million units at least. I've never been one to focus on sales, though, so these numbers might be somewhat old.

4Gamer:
Hopefully Dark Souls II can go on to perform even better. To close out this interview, is there anything you’d like to say to our readers?

Miyazaki:
First of all, as the director of Dark Souls and as representative of its development team, I’d really like to express our thanks to everyone once more. I really think Dark Souls is a game that was nurtured by its fans, and that’s a big part of the reason why Dark Souls II is now getting so much attention. Thank you all, and please look forward to Dark Souls II.

Shibuya:
The development team and myself are doing our best creating Dark Souls II, so please look forward to the release of the game.

4Gamer:
Miyazaki-san and Shibuya-san, thank you again for your time today.

Miyazaki &Shibuya:
Thank you.

koryuken

And the last part. Sorry again for the delay. There isn't much in this part:

4Gamer:
Dark Souls II has become a title with big expectations from players around the world. Do you the two of you feel pressured at all?

Shibuya:
I’m very much aware of how big everyone's expectations are, so I need to make sure I don’t let our players down.

Miyazaki:
I also feel strongly that I want to meet everyone’s expectations.
However, since this is my first time playing the role of supervisor, and since I’m not directly involved in the development, there’s a certain frustration there, but I’ll do my best.

4Gamer:
To change the subject again, I wanted to mention that Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition won the PlayStation Awards 2012 User’s Choice Award. Congratulations!

Miyazaki:
Thank you. The timing of the game's release must have been right near the end of the voting period, so I was very surprised. It’s always such an honor to win the User’s Choice Award. I’m very thankful for everyone that voted for us.

4Gamer:
How many units did Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls end up selling?

Miyazaki:
I’m not in the position to comment on the sales of Demon’s Souls, but in regards to Dark Souls, I think it's over 1.5 million units at least. I've never been one to focus on sales, though, so these numbers might be somewhat old.

4Gamer:
Hopefully Dark Souls II can go on to perform even better. To close out this interview, is there anything you’d like to say to our readers?

Miyazaki:
First of all, as the director of Dark Souls and as representative of its development team, I’d really like to express our thanks to everyone once more. I really think Dark Souls is a game that was nurtured by its fans, and that’s a big part of the reason why Dark Souls II is now getting so much attention. Thank you all, and please look forward to Dark Souls II.

Shibuya:
The development team and myself are doing our best creating Dark Souls II, so please look forward to the release of the game.

4Gamer:
Miyazaki-san and Shibuya-san, thank you again for your time today.

Miyazaki &Shibuya:
Thank you.

Hype levels at maximum. No God of War quick time events bullshit with easy mode...sorrow. What a good word.

krishian

Thanks for the translations, Zefah! This certainly sounds a lot better than what we've heard before.

Shibuya:
In regards to the map, we plan on adhering to the style established in Dark Souls (where the world is split up into areas). We aren’t really considering making it more of an open-world style.
This is good news too.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Much needed interview. I feel considerably less nervous about DSII now. Still eyeing Bamco with contempt with whatever the fuck their plan is for Miyazaki. Don't twat the talents head, give him what he needs.

Lord Phol

The fact that Bamco decided to kick Miyazaki from the Dark Souls director seat pisses me off to no end. He clearly wanted to direct the sequel. The series is very much a product of his involvement.

Yeah that was sad to read and really infuriating at the same time. Why is that that all bad decisions always comes from higher ups idiots.

Think items being sold as DLC was an idea bought up that he said no to? He's used it as an example twice.

Just that fact that he had to say no to this (and others things like he mentioned) makes me wonder just what horrible things Namco are cooking up for this game.
Still though I got high hopes for this game, just don't like it when company higher ups interfere so much.

Serra

Shibuya said all the right things! Good interview.

Shibuya:
To speak on that point, we had “feeling of loneliness” and “despair” as keywords for Dark Souls, and in the sequel I plan to add “sorrow”

I felt pretty sorrowful killing those little mushroom dudes :(

jimi_dini

I felt pretty sorrowful killing those little mushroom dudes :(

Crossbreed Priscilla

I forced myself to kill
her
once and just because of that stupid trophy. Never again.

Then there is also the Siegmeyer storyline, which is quite sad.

And there also was sorrow in the hidden dialog of
Quelaag's Sister
, so I don't know what he is talking about. There was quite a bit of sorrow in Dark Souls.

Crossbreed Priscilla

I forced myself to kill
her
once and just because of that stupid trophy. Never again.

Then there is also the Siegmeyer storyline, which is quite sad.

And there also was sorrow in the hidden dialog of
Quelaag's Sister
, so I don't know what he is talking about. There was quite a bit of sorrow in Dark Souls.

Those are very small instances. Sounds like they want to make it at least a little more of the core experience.

If you look back at the interview it says the word Shibuya used could be replaced by sadness, heartache, or bittersweet.

I'm interested how they are going to put more of a focus on those while still keeping the sense of lonliness. Something/someone must be taken from the player

Grief.exe

Yeah that was sad to read and really infuriating at the same time. Why is that that all bad decisions always comes from higher ups idiots.

Just that fact that he had to say no to this (and others things like he mentioned) makes me wonder just what horrible things Namco are cooking up for this game.
Still though I got high hopes for this game, just don't like it when company higher ups interfere so much.

Namco shouldn't be involved in any decisions on creating great games.

Sid

Those are very small instances. Sounds like they want to make it at least a little more of the core experience.

If you look back at the interview it says the word Shibuya used could be replaced by sadness, heartache, or bittersweet.

I'm interested how they are going to put more of a focus on those while still keeping the sense of lonliness. Something/someone must be taken from the player
Maybe there'll be more 'bosses' like maiden astraea from demon's souls?

krYlon

I thought shibuya came across really really well in that interview and if he can bring to fruition everything he talked about it sounds like the game could be very special indeed. I particularly like the fact that he wants to improve the atmosphere and add a more sorrowful feel.

Orayn

Just FYI, Miyazaki said no to them selling items as DLC for Dark Souls as well. I doubt it was him shutting down suggestions from Namco so much as it was just ruling out the worst case scenario to put peoples' minds at ease.

He also didn't say that Dark Souls would have no DLC, as people sometimes incorrectly claim.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thank you very much for the translation. My fears are somewhat eased as well.

Maybe there'll be more 'bosses' like maiden astraea from demon's souls?

I thought the same thing when they mentioned sorrow and the feeling of sadness after defeating a boss, haha. That one sure was heartbreaking.

FACE

Banned
ir2tVmT0Op2vq.gif

Top Bottom