• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Dead Space 3 trailer, game features Kinect voice commands

nickcv

http://youtu.be/HZvjXoNbC34

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/dead-space-3-co-op-trailer/

“The voice commands in Dead Space 3 give players a unique way to take down the terror, whether they choose to face the Necromorphs alone in single-player, or alongside a friend with drop-in / drop-out co-op,” said Steve Papoutsis, executive producer.

“Dead Space 3 delivers the action-horror experience our fans have come to know and love. And with the ability to survive the adventure alone, with a friend, or with Kinect, we’re excited about extending the spine-tingling Dead Space experience to a whole new audience of players.”

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/13/3...co-op-and-more-in-viscerals-biggest-game-ever

I'm shown a new co-op demo for Dead Space 3 that implements simple Kinect voice commands. The voice support provides a way to avoid stopping in difficult combat situations. For example, shouting out "Quick heal!" will result in your character using a healing item. "Help me!" will create a beacon to your location for your partner to follow. "Stasis!" will shoot out a beam of Dead Space's classic time-freezing power-up.

The only problem? In the demo I'm shown, the commands only seem to be working about half of the time. This could be because it's an incomplete build of the game or because we're playing in the back room of a noisy club, but a voice command to replace the button presses for healing doesn't help much when you have to shout it three times before it works.

"If you're playing single-player, the story has characters that come and go, and Carver is one of those characters," Papoutsis says. "In single-player, you don't have an AI follower. No AI follower. It's just Isaac, and other NPCs come in and out of scenes."

polygon article is full of other info, check it out

edit: the title was supposed to be "new Dead Space 3 trailer. The game now features Kinect commands"

AlteisenX

Neo Member
Can't wait to yell "run the **** away!"...

...Or not because I won't buy a Kinect or this game. It just keeps getting worse. Should've left the series at Dead Space 1...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
*represses all the hate*

Still looking forward to this.

* holding temples, rocking back and forth in squeeky chair*

Makes you wonder if there's some kind of Microsoft subsidy provided to developers for incorporating Kinect like this?

I find it difficult to believe that Visceral looked at Kinect and said, "Fuck! FINALLY! Now we can totally add voice commands to our games. Brilliant!"

"action-horror"

It wasn't always described as this...yes?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
igvtkoxj9fncd3kkq0.gif

Nibel

I remember saying that this would become the spiritual successor franchise to RE4 after playing the first Dead Space

Please GAF slap the shit out of me

The_Monk

Dead Space 3 is the best experience for all of you horror fans. And because this is also an experience for the hardcore fans we decided to add co-op so you can share your fear with your buddy. Feel the fear in person by using Kinect voice functionality to improve your gaming experience. Pre-order now to get you exclusive Day one DLC exclusive camo for your weapons, an extra suit to give you 10% more ammo power and a keychain which can help your gaming experience even if you are not playing! ...And much more to increase your experience but check the different Pre-order bonus. There are 8 different pre-order bonus depending on retailers.

Dead Space 3, the ultimate fear experience!*

*Better with Kinect

HiiiLife

Eh I've come to terms that the ol Dead Space we love is long gone.

It looks alright. Obviously could be better.

I'm gonna playthrough this with my brother.

ultron87

It could be fun in co-op with the hallucination stuff.

Is the single player actually single player or do they force an AI buddy on you?

Well surely some nice ideas (if they don't fuck it up).

Having someone play with you co-op and although being in the same room not "seeing" the same thing in the room is a pretty tits idea. If you're game characters constantly put attention to it or it's only in the cutscenes... well then not so much anymore.

glaurung

The more I read about Dead Space 3 in previews and press releases, the more I believe that somewhere there was a mixup in the EA mail room.

It feels as if the script for Army of Two 3: The Retard Brothers Return was mistakenly sent to the Dead Space crew. I can almost see the main characters fist bumping after a boss fight to the words "Dude sweet splatter on that bitch ass alien! - I know rite."

I remember saying that this would become the spiritual successor franchise to RE4 after playing the first Dead Space

Well...you're kinda right.

It appears to be following the same path Resident Evil took following RE4.

Co-op and voice commands with Kinect.

Sad.

As noted, the progression from RE4 --> RE5 --> RE6 and DS --> DS2 --> DS3 kinda bears you out... :)

I just realised that DS is like the Aliens saga.

First game was great, second game had more action but still fun enough, third game is ughhh....

glaurung

I just realised that DS is like the Aliens saga.

First game was great, second game had more action but still fun enough, third game is ughhh....
Third Alien movie was dope. My favorite even though it went through an absolute hell in development and Fincher has disowned it.

Kaiden

Neo Member
It could be fun in co-op with the hallucination stuff.

Is the single player actually single player or do they force an AI buddy on you?

I remember hearing that playing single player makes it act like the AI character never even existed. I could be way wrong though.

Salz01

I loved the second one so much. Still play it time to time. This one just seems odd. I'm not excited for it. Can't tell if its the ice environment that makes me feel like it wants to be lost planet.

glaurung

OP is bullshit, I watched the whole trailer and there weren't any Kinect voice commands demonstrated.
The trailer is misleading, but the big news that was supposed to be announced today regarding Dead Space 3 is indeed that the special feature is Kinect commands.

The trailer is also titled as such: two ways to play.

Who knows why they don't have any examples in it.

No Space for fear?

Yeah... its just a action game anymore. Where is the atmosphere from the first? They fucked everything up that everyone loved in the first one.

ultron87

The trailer is misleading, but the big news that was supposed to be announced today regarding Dead Space 3 is indeed that the special feature is Kinect commands.

The trailer is also titled as such: two ways to play.

I'm not doubting the Kinect part, but I think the two ways are co-op and single player.

"I've got it guys, let's just try catering to everyone!"

Recipe for disaster. I'll still keep an eye on this one though, I'm a big fan of the series.

glaurung

I'm not doubting the Kinect part, but I think the two ways are co-op and single player.
Hmm. Quite possibly.

But in all honesty, something like this feels very weird to me. In essence these would be two completely separate campaigns then, one relying on co-op mechanisms and the other on isolation survival horror.

nickcv

Hmm. Quite possibly.

But in all honesty, something like this feels very weird to me. In essence these would be two completely separate campaigns then, one relying on co-op mechanisms and the other on isolation survival horror.

yeah sorry guys, in my head the title was pretty much saying:
new dead space 3 trailer.
the game is now featuring Kinect commands

the two things were not related one with the other.

i updated the OP anyhow, hope some mod will update the thread title as well.

Snookie

I'm either getting old or I'm just tired of this crap but ill wait for it to go on sale. This just doesnt have the feel of the other ones. Hell I would take extraction over this.

nickcv

more info in the op regarding the kinect commands and the single player.

i highly recomend to read the polygon interview if you care about more details.

Biggzy

I'm either getting old or I'm just tired of this crap but ill wait for it to go on sale. This just doesnt have the feel of the other ones. Hell I would take extraction over this.

Also there are a lot of games coming out at the start of the year, and my wallet can only go so far.

Top Bottom