• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Dead Space 3 trailer, game features Kinect voice commands

Grief.exe

I remember saying that this would become the spiritual successor franchise to RE4 after playing the first Dead Space

Please GAF slap the shit out of me

The potential in DS1 was definitely there.

EA has taken it downhill like all of their franchises it seems like.

Isn't it much slower and requires more effort to say "Quick heal" than hitting a button? It's not very quick if you have to say the full phrase and make sure the Kinect recognizes the words. At the very least it should just be "heal"

Derrick01

Banned
why dont we wait till its actual out to condemn it?

Then what's the point of any pre-release marketing at all? Why bother watching trailers or reading previews to see if you'll like the game, just blow your money on it and then afterwards complain about all the things that you could have seen coming beforehand.

Hmm, think I will stick with my PS3 preorder... though I would probably be better off getting it on the PC... not too many of my friends are PC gamers and I want to play it co-op. What was the PS3 exclusive content?

ArjanN

I thought the trailer looked alright, better than most of the stuff they've shown so far.

The Kinect stuff is easily ignored and most likely took them half a day to implement so seems hardly worth getting upset over.

Lucent

I don't get all the hate towards this. I loved the first two games. This doesn't seem any different. And you have the option to play alone in this.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
oh cool, the Kinect voice commands of ME3 were my favorite addition to the gameplay... they worked great and made combat so much more seamless.

edit:

hot dog that looked good to. one of the best new franchises this gen.

Voice commands have a way of not working for me. As it's an option, I'll try it, but am skeptically pessimistic. Doesn't affect my decision to buy one way or another.

Strike

Eh. I was getting the PS3 version anyway. Hopefully the addition of co-op doesn't have too much of an effect on the SP campaign (unlike RE5). That's what I really care about.

Muffdraul

Eh. I was getting PS3 version anyway. Hopefully the addition of co-op doesn't have too much of an effect on the SP campaign (unlike RE5). That's what I really care about.

Yeah, DS is a PS3 franchise in my mind even though it isn't. And they said a long time ago that if you play solo the other character isn't even there during game play.

I admit once again that I am nowhere near as excited about DS3 as I was about the first two when I was waiting for them to come out. But I refuse to just write it off before I play it, that's fucking stupid. Visceral announced pretty early on that DS2 was going to emphasize action more than DS1, and everyone immediately went into shitfit freakout mode that they ruined the DS name, DS2 was going to be a dudebro action game, blah blah blah blah fucking blah. DS2 comes out, I play it, and I thought it was fairly close to the original. Still plenty of horror, still plenty of creepy atmosphere, with a few action set pieces along the way. Big deal. I admit, DS' big boss battles are my least favorite aspect and I hope they don't go overboard with them.

Clearly DS3 is another step in that direction, but I trust Visceral can still maintain a balance. I'll wait to cast judgement AFTER I feel let down... if that happens.

And this /thing/ needs 5 million copies to break even lol

That's not necessarily its break even point. It's just the number that EA believes the game should be at in order to continue to invest in it. It's a pretty crazy number too considering that only one horror franchise (RE) has ever sold that much with a single title.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe it's the voice actor, maybe it's the writing, but every time I hear Isaac talk in this I don't want to hear it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And this /thing/ needs 5 million copies to break even lol

That's not necessarily its break even point. It's just the number that EA believes the game should be at in order to continue to invest in it. It's a pretty crazy number too considering that only one horror franchise (RE) has ever sold that much with a single title.

Right, heading toward 5 million is the "EA finds this franchise worthy of investing in at the $30-$40+ million level" bar when deciding what flagship AAA IPs to keep and which to dump after a few iterations, as opposed to the "I make money" bar.

Judging by what Activision does these days, they probably have a similar or higher bar. I think those two are the only ones who sell enough to set the bar that high though.

Two million is more standard (THQ, Bethesda), but for those publishers that's usually also a break even point.

Right, heading toward 5 million is the "EA finds this franchise worthy of investing in at the $30-$40+ million level" bar when deciding what flagship AAA IPs to keep and which to dump after a few iterations, as opposed to the "I make money" bar.

It makes me worried about Visceral. They have DS3 and AoT in development, and I can't see either of those hitting 5m. DS3 should do at least 3, but I really don't have a good feeling about AoT. I'm honestly surprised that there are even three games in that series.

AwShucks

Holy crap the trailer is amazing. I so can't wait to play this (in singleplayer first of course, then co-op)

EDIT: Also, I felt that the trailer showed plenty of dark corridors and slower gameplay in both the SP and co-op portions. I still don't get how people can be concerned it won't be horror enough.

8byte

Banned
Played this last week, Kinect stuff was silly. I'll post more detailed impressions later.

Still bummed that this IP hasn't revcieved Move controls, since it's a perfect fit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kinect voice commands were great in ME3, so I don't mind the addition. Doesn't seem to really suit Dead Space however.

Sadist

iD8QFZjC2AjNf.gif

Edit; I'll give the game a shot, but oh man EA if you bullshit me

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It makes me worried about Visceral. They have DS3 and AoT in development, and I can't see either of those hitting 5m. DS3 should do at least 3, but I really don't have a good feeling about AoT. I'm honestly surprised that there are even three games in that series.
EA doesn't really hold this for every entry in every game.

It's just that Dead Space is already a 90 Metacritic series for two entries, so increasing quality isn't really a solution that is going to increase sales at this point.

As such, whatever they do with Dead Space 3 has to show a notable sales increase over Dead Space 2 in order to convince EA this series can actually grow out of the 2-3 million window.

AoT I expect to get axed if the new game tanks however, since both Visceral Redwood Shores and Visceral Montreal have new IPs in development, and transferring resources to them might make a lot more sense than beating a dead-ish, low rated IP over and over.

It does nothing for me. Maybe i played too many similar games this gen. The new Gears game does nothing for me either.
... Meh.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me that couldn't be bothered to give a fuck about this one after Dead Space 2. I mean, it was an alright game, and this looks about the same, just...meh.

Can't go back, man.

(I'd probably pick it up on a 75% off sale though. There's not much I won't buy at 75% off.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You don't notice the heavy emphasis on action and more weaponry this time around? Or is that simply not a problem for you?

The latter. While I really loved Dead Space 1, I also really like third person shooters in interesting settings.

This game seems to go across a variety of sci-fi locations with interesting looking horror monsters, and combined with the earlier reveals like the crazy weapon crafting/combination system, the co-op psychosis, and the less scripted explorable areas, this sounds like a lot of fun.

Clicking through to the previews, they also mention stuff like this:

Polygon said:
My short demo ends with the reveal of another new interesting gameplay addition to Dead Space 3: a rappelling mechanic. Isaac and Carver swing up the side of an icy cliff as horrific monsters spawn alongside it and attack them. It strikes me as a vertical reimagining of the many Dead Space sequences where Isaac is being dragged along the floor by a monster, desperately trying to shoot its limbs off, except now the player has much more control.
While I'm not exactly Mr. Setpiece, given that they also have explorable side areas, events like this also sound like great additions to the series.

To me, the defining aspect of Dead Space 1 wasn't the constant oppressive atmosphere, but the strategic dismemberment, the horror monsters that facilitated the gameplay, and the sci-fi atmosphere, which all seem to be intact here.

For horror games, I prefer something like Amnesia where horror is the driving focus in every decision, which I never felt was true of Dead Space.

DeadSpace2 had some great combat mechanics. The combination of alt fires, dismemberment, stasis, and telekinesis were flexed with some rather interesting encounter design. If DP3 can add in a bit more complexities with weapon crafting, like the flamethrower+pulserifle from Aliens, combat could get even better. Couch that combat design in the fiction's religious-horror themes with a few added twists, and I'll play that game.

The coop or Kinect support is immaterial to how I will play as neither are seemingly built to be obtrusive to how I will play my single player experience. My only reservation is that the level design may have changed to accommodate drop-on coop. It is a problem I felt Gear3 had - where the gamespace and encounter design was built more for coop encounters than they were single player.

C-Jo

I think it looks great, and I'm thrilled they're doing co-op the right way. (without ruining single player).

Haters be damned.

When are game trailers gonna quit tripping out so much so maybe, idk, I can actually get a look at the game for more that 1 second at a time...

It's getting very annoying.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ok, so talking about what's actually happening in the trailer, who do people think the person in the photograph is (at 0:25)? Lexine?

The trailer seemed sufficiently Dead Space to me. Looks maybe more like Dead Space 2 than Dead Space 1, with some of the setpiece looking sections like that bit with the rappelling. The coop hallucination aspect seems like it could be pretty interesting, although I'd likely not touch coop.

I do wish games would stop with the "Zombie/monster with glowing eyes/mouth" thing. It looks silly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have a huge boner for snowy environments, but the art really isn't selling me at the moment. Hopefully we get some better perspective closer to release or something.

Top Bottom