• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Death Stranding Trailer.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have no idea if I'm going to love this or if it's going to push me to the idea that sometimes extremely creative people need a leash.

Okay, I'm onboard. This was just enough connective tissue between what I've seen before to get my imagination going.

Stealth action with invisible enemies? Cosmic/body/mpreg horror? This shit is bonkers and I'll take as much of it as Kojima and co. will dish out.

It's worth noting that those credits are pretty loaded, besides Kojima himself. There's a LOT of talent packed into this. This will be an interesting test both of Kojima's abilities when unleashed, and also Sony's philosophy of letting the proven masters do their thing with minimal oversight. I really wonder how much even Sony execs know about the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it's barely more than us. Probably not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Shifty

He has a baby in his tummy?

DQftHszWAAUfxvV.jpg:large

The baby-o-meter says yes!

eso76

I have yet to decide if this is indeed creative or Kojima trying very hard to be weird.
I guess this is determined by how those elements end up connecting in the game.
Coming up with crazy stuff and then trying to find a justification for those usually doesn't work, so let's hope the creative process was more..natural?
I trust the guy though and absolutely loved what I saw.

Also glad that the two planes are giving Kojima the chance to use different cinematography (the handheld, single sequence plan seen in MGSV and a more traditional style as seen in the final part of the trailer -and MGSV ending-). Very interesting when you think of the significance those styles had in MGSV.

I am entirely convinced this is a result of Kojima getting high on some strange LSD or something.

I am sure this will be a fucking masterpiece but god damn is this the most insane thing I ever witnessed for a video game.

Breakage

This has that same long, drawn out nature that characterised MGSV's opening. The visuals are impressive but can't help feeling there's something silly about it all, especially the bits with the baby.

Fbh

Well that was weird.
I love the unique style and concepts in this. It was 8 minutes of WTF... but the sort of WTF that leaves me intrigued to see more.

Hopefully the next showing of this games involves some gameplay. We have hade several weird cinematic trailers but I think the next time we see this game we should at least get a hint of how the actual gameplay is going to be

ehead

That trailer is too much for me. I'm guessing it's like Evangelion? But instead of a whiny teenage boy, you get badass Daryl.

Solidino

8 minutes of awesome stuffs after:

1)only one and half years of development
2)Kojima was fired from Konami

8 minutes of awesome stuffs that obliterate all things seen until now in the videogame industry.

Only 8 minutes, let me repeat that.

Cthulhu

Ho87Jph.jpg

DevilFox

What an ugly mess. Given Kojima recent works that killed my trust in him, I'll keep my interest at zero until I see some gameplay.

BANGS

Banned
It's just strange imagery with zero context to me. It's either going to be a fucking masterpiece, or an incoherent mess. The main thing that's causing me to remain just a tiny bit skeptical though, is the fact that it's supposedly open world. If MGSV taught me anything, it's that Kojima style storytelling and open world design just don't go together. Hopefully he knocks this one out of the park.

Seriously, why is anybody praising this nonsense? How is anybody calling cramming a bunch of random bullshit together "creative"? I'm betting on "incoherant mess" just like MGS5 was...

Remember the awful, overproduced, pretentious, nongaming, incoherant garbage the prologue of MGS5 was? Imagine a whole game like that...

chinoXL

I am entirely convinced this is a result of Kojima getting high on some strange LSD or something.

I am sure this will be a fucking masterpiece but god damn is this the most insane thing I ever witnessed for a video game.

hahahahaha agreed!! i know the game is gonna come out great but all i can say is WTF when i'm watching this

Dunki

Seriously, why is anybody praising this nonsense? How is anybody calling cramming a bunch of random bullshit together "creative"? I'm betting on "incoherant mess" just like MGS5 was...

Remember the awful, overproduced, pretentious, nongaming, incoherant garbage the prologue of MGS5 was? Imagine a whole game like that...

The Prologue was really good in my opinion. It was MGS at its best. And I do not know how you can decide if this is nonsense or not. Kojima already said that there are tons of hints in this trailer and also connections to the other ones.

If there is one thing I trust Kojima with than that the game will be coherent to the world its set in. Also this craziness for me is so refreshing compared to all the safe approaches other developer take these days.

Still no fucking gameplay, amazing.

Kojima, I like you, but I get it...you're weird. Now please, after several own-fart-smelling arty nothingnesses of trailers, show some gameplay of your video game.

Is this what doing cocaine is like?

Coke isn't a hallucinogenic. If you wanna find out, guzzle a pot of coffee and two Monster cans back-to-back and there it is.

MDSLKTR

Kojima unleashed is best Kojima. I see zoe2 x mgs2 final act x massive budget x Mark Cerny. The world won't be ready.

BANGS

Banned
The Prologue was really good in my opinion. It was MGS at its best. And I do not know how you can decide if this is nonsense or not. Kojima already said that there are tons of hints in this trailer and also connections to the other ones.

If there is one thing I trust Kojima with than that the game will be coherent to the world its set in. Also this craziness for me is so refreshing compared to all the safe approaches other developer take these days.

Personally, I think MGS is at it's best when it's finding new and creative ways for the player to interact with the game, not when it's finding stupid and weird ways to keep the player from interacting with the game...

While I agree that it's nice to see something original and not cookie cutter, I don't consider throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks is really creative...

Reading comments here and on twitter ive come to the conclusion gamers are so used to sequels and safe ideas that as soon as we get something different, weird and creative so many just turn on it and start to hate. Personally I love it, I'm all in for the hype train chuchu! :)

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I don't know why, I couldn't tell you... But this is doing nothing for me?

Silent Hills? I had chills. A new Bloodborne or something of the sort? Sign me up.

But this...?

I dunno.... I think its because Kojima has let me down so much with his last load of titles. MGS4 and 5 were utter bore fests to me? But I understand I'm gonna be in sparse company with those feelings.

BANGS

Banned

Silent Hills? I had chills. A new Bloodborne or something of the sort? Sign me up.

But this...?

I dunno.... I think its because Kojima has let me down so much with his last load of titles. MGS4 and 5 were utter bore fests to me? But I understand I'm gonna be in sparse company with those feelings.

You're definitely not alone that's for sure lmfao. MGS4 was awful and I can't even finish MGS5 it's so bad. And this is coming from a MGS superfan, someone who actually has the fox logo tattoo'D to his bicep(or lack thereof)...

Pejo

I'm still not sure what the theme or the game is about. I'm not sure what kind of gameplay you can introduce into this world he's built, but at least it's something new and interesting. I'll probably get it day 1 unless it ends up being a gem matching puzzle game or something totally left-field.

Also, I wonder how much time/effort was spent on that trailer that could have just been put into the game itself. Ah well, gotta build hype.

Faynwulf

But this...?

See? I'm the complete opposite. While I also liked his older games a lot more, Silent Hills left me completely cold. The concept was interesting enough. But it definitely wasn't a game I would've bought Day1. But this here? This oozes the atmosphere and creativity that I love from Kojima.

Inuteu

I If MGSV taught me anything, it's that Kojima style storytelling and open world design just don't go together. .

One thing has nothing to do with the other

you can create a great story in a game despite it being an open world game or not

and Kojima usually creates great story

but MGSV is an unfinished game, as everyone knows

BANGS

Banned
One thing has nothing to do with the other

you can create a great story in a game despite it being an open world game or not

and Kojima usually creates great story

Kojima hasn't written a great story since MGS3...

Top Bottom