• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Death Stranding Trailer.

Solidino

It may just be progression of development, like how Raiden looked before Revengeance was announced. But good catch. Any in depth videos made yet?
it could be the game will be split in 2 parts, like MG2, MGS2 or Phantom Pain

first part: before explosion
second part: after explosion.

but same character. (Sam-Reedus)

Sepultura

First trailer was enough to create a mystery. Not sure what they are trying to convey anymore. This is third trailer right? Without any context, it comes off as “trying too hard” to impress everyone.

P.S: I guess its safe to say this will remain a PS4 exclusive as they’ve moved to Decima engine?

Traxtech

I guess I'm one of the few that wants this mind fuck injected into my veins! Absolutely love the fact we have no clue what's going on, but people have their own take on it. I think it's awesome that the baby is the only one that can see the "other dimension" since the light only tracks them if you are in possession of the baby which you wonder how they will go with it. Makes me wonder if the baby is in control of everything and how it goes between the upside down as every time it flips it swaps. (unless the presence of the psycho mantis guys sets him off and he flips to hide and sets everything in motion) in saying that, when he wakes up the bugs are crawling up like he is in the canister himself, and even the water streak near the end looks like it's streaking down a surface not on his face itself.

So excited for this game, to say the least

Traxtech

The thumbs up is the baby letting him know it's clear and to wake up his subconscious, since it's obvious their both Sam

Just spit balling haha.

MADGAME

My initial reaction

The+fappening+aftermath_a72a49_5279631.gif

I hope gameplay will be a tense experience.

MiguelItUp

I wholeheartedly disagree... MGS5 is barely even a stealth game...

I mean, it all depends on how you play it really. So, it's all pretty subjective.

I really like what I'm seeing in regards to Death Stranding. However, I can't help but question what gameplay will look and feel like. There's SO MUCH MORE going on in this trailer than the previous ones. SO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

Also, yeah, the baby thumbs-up was strangely out of place. Lol. But, I mean, not like we haven't seen stuff like that or even more WTF in the MGS series before.

Solidino

Porter.

Maybe porter of the baby in his stomach and not porter of the dead bodies with gold skull mask?

The Huge monster at the end of trailer has an umbilical cord, his face-head eat Sam's friend.

Then, after explosion, we can see dead body in water, one of them is eaten from a strange creature, well this strange creature is the head of the huge monster.

Dunki

I really liked how responded to this at the PSX Panel:

I know its crazy but it all makes sense after a couple of hours of playing the game. I can not wait for this.

DonF

I just want the game to be released in a complete state. And knowing kojima and the fact that he has been unleashed, I'm thinking 2019 at least...

A few minor observations:

- this device on the shoulder, let's call it a radome of sorts, appears to form the shape of a crucifix at a certain point in the trailer, almost as though it's keeping the specters at bay.

- visually I think the devices evoke the image of a familiar, or the video gamey floating companion character. Also think the crucifix shape reminds me of Sam's navel scar, or "c-section scar" as everyone keeps calling it

I think the golden faced mummy may have been carried on Sam's back, and was flung off after the crash.

JP

I love the way the trailers just fit ion together.

Death Stranding All Trailers Comparison 2017

I've been wondering whether this is going to be a multiplayer game? It's just that the characters all seem to have LEDs that tie in with the default Player 1, Player 2, Player 3 and Player 4 LED colours on the DualShock 4.

Maybe not, it could just follow the typical Hideo Kojima self referential, post-modern gaming ethos and maybe this will be his first game that is directly about gaming. He has played with this stuff before with things like Psycho Mantis really standing out but he does really seem to enjoy games that absolutely know that they're games and take advantage of that.

EDIT:
Of course, from the loading screen on the front page of Kojima Productions website.
Kojima Productions said:
FROM SAPIENS TO LUDENS

And from within the actual site.
Kojima Productions said:
From the moment we enter this world, we instinctively invent ways to have ”fun,"and share our inventions with those around us. We are not asked to do this, nor do we need reasons to create. It is simply who we are.

We find one another and compete with one another. We laugh together and cry together; all while playing together. Our experiences bind us and liberate us. To share our most valuable experiences, we create stories, invent tools, and evolve the art of play. Play has been our ally since the dawn of civilization.

”Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. Truth be told, Homo Ludens (Those who Play) are simultaneously Homo Faber (Those who Create).

Even if the earth were stripped of life and reduced to a a barren wasteland, our imagination and desire to create would survive – beyond survival, it would provide hope that flowers may one day bloom again. Through the invention of play, our new evolution awaits.

KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS – We are Homo Ludens. We are those who play.

Are we in the Matrix yet?, think about the Matrix while watching the trailer. ��

RPGCrazied

What a freaky trailer. Had not a clue what was going on. Lets be clear, the baby is the key to redeeming this hostile environment these people are living in.

And I don't see this coming out this year.

Mathrin

Ragnarox' theory video was quite interesting to watch, even if it is just a theory.

Edit : home so found it -

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Because stealth games are only stealth games if they force you to go stealth, right?
Well... yeah. You serious with that question?

What platforming games doesn't force you to platform? What FPS doesn't force you to shoot in first person? What puzzle games doesn't force you to solve puzzles? You can't just call a game a stealth game because you can choose to be stealthy every now and then. Might as well call Super Mario Bros. a stealth game because I can hide behind a pipe and wait for the enemy to go in the other direction before I move forward...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
anybody else really annoyed with the antenna thing on his shoulder? Like i don't even know what it is and its just so distracting.

mrbogus

Neo Member
I'm all for weird alien environments in video games that make no sense, like PAC-MAN.

I just don't see a video game here. Looks like a trippy movie that wants to be Evangelion.

BANGS

Banned
Can you expand on why you think MGSV is barely a stealth game? I'm interested to hear (read) your opinion.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/new-death-stranding-trailer.1459222/page-4#post-253193758
Basically that, and that fact that this is an open world game with tons of parts where there isn't much cover at all. MGS series in general always toed the line of whether it was a stealth game or not with it's boss fights and forced action sectons. But 5 in particular just plain isn't a stealth game IMO...

Last edited:

-MD-

Everything about this game's marketing is uninteresting thus far, I can't even sit through the trailers.

Roni

Gold Member
What platforming games doesn't force you to platform?
Don't know about not forcing, but know about not being an asshole about it: Prince of Persia (2008)

What FPS doesn't force you to shoot in first person?
Deus Ex doesn't force you to shoot anyone.

What puzzle games doesn't force you to solve puzzles?
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

You can't just call a game a stealth game because you can choose to be stealthy every now and then. Might as well call Super Mario Bros. a stealth game because I can hide behind a pipe and wait for the enemy to go in the other direction before I move forward...

#1: Every now and then? Are YOU serious with that statement?
#2: MGSV is a stealth game.

Top Bottom