• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dell Monitors 24 or 27 inch IPS HDR 4k via HDMI 2.0 $290 or $380

Chanser

OMG. I need review now.

My 2408WFP has lived an an incredibly long life.

But when I turn it on there's like 30 vertical lines going down the right side of the screen.

After about 20 minutes it goes away. But in the last year. One cyan coloured line remains.

It'd be pretty good to upgrade to 4k and HDR.

Ah, too good to be true =|

Hey I got the same monitor and I get those lines. 2 pink lines on the right side.

ss_lemonade

That was my first thought too. Probably just a typo in the specs, maybe it means it can handle a 4K signal. But that wouldn't help anyone anyway.

Wouldn't that help something like the PS4 Pro, which will allow one to get the benefits of downsampling on some games that only output higher resolutions on a 4k monitor?

Wouldn't that help something like the PS4 Pro, which will allow one to get the benefits of downsampling on some games that only output higher resolutions on a 4k monitor?

But why would you bother, when you can just get an actual 27/28" 4k monitor for that price?

Is this confirmed to only be 1080p? The site straight up says it does native 4k.

theguyoverther

Neo Member
Is IPS with HDR good ?

The panel is only 8-bit as referenced from Dell's site.

"Color Support
Color Gamut (typical): 99% of sRGB / Color Depth: 16.7 Million Colors"

In order for a true HDR experience, you must need a 10-bit panel capable of 1 billion colors. Unfortunately, this is too good to be true.

Only 8 bit... booooo! I need a new monitor for my zen rig and it must be real hdr with freesync. Was hoping this would be a good one but it's too good to be true.

Jonnax

So this isn't the holy grail of monitors.

Are there any 10-bit HDR10 monitors available or announced in sizes like 24 or 27"?

4k or 1080p.

Also are there any good technical review sites for monitors?

TFT Central is pretty good but they do 1 monitor a month or sometimes less than that.

Durante

So this isn't the holy grail of monitors.

Are there any 10-bit HDR10 monitors available or announced in sizes like 24 or 27"?

4k or 1080p.

Also are there any good technical review sites for monitors?

TFT Central is pretty good but they do 1 monitor a month or sometimes less than that.
There are exactly two monitors announced at this point that I would qualify as fully HDR capable.
Which, to me, includes not just understanding the format and offering the color space, but also sufficient maximum brightness and a very high intra-frame contrast ratio.

8-bit IPS with 400 nits max brightness? That's HDR in name only, in practice the difference is probably insignificant. I guess if you're adding HDMI 2.0 to your monitor, there's not much reason not to have support for HDR10 even if the panel itself isn't up to snuff.

HDR / Contrast ratio : 1000:1 / cd/m² : 400

jIDPmzo.gif

HDR / Contrast ratio : 1000:1 / cd/m² : 400

jIDPmzo.gif
For starters, HDR specs require a minimum 1000 cd/m2 or nits of brightness for LCD screens to adhere to the new "Ultra HD Premium" standard. High-end desktop gaming monitors, which top out around 300-400 nits in brightness, don't come close to making the cut. Good laptops don't fare much better, since they only push about a hundred nits or so more. Even cellphones, with their sci-fi sunlight-viewable screen technology, only reach about 800 nits. When it comes to brightness, HDR-compliant screens leave all these displays in the dark.

source

apparently they use a different standard than what tv makers use, lot of wait and see with these monitors to have questions answered.

Majek

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but i do have a question about the Dell S2718HN/S2718HX/whatever.

Has anyone on this forum bought this monitor and tested it/ is using it right now? "HDR", 4k and all that?

Recently a friend of mine bought it for work and tried it with PS4 pro. He then excitedly sent me a screenshot showing that it recognizes it as 4k hdr display.
xnzRwKK.jpg

He doesn't have a good enough PC or laptop to test that though. That's why i'm necroing this thread that ask for more information if anyone has it of course. :|

Why i'm asking all of this? I want to play Ps4 pro on 4k but i don't have enough money for a good 4k HDR tv and i need a new monitor anyway so i thought i'd compromise and just a buy a 4k monitor. And the price for this Dell is just so low and inviting ... but Google doesn't help much when gathering more information. :/

Top Bottom