• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny 2 info from EDGE #310

Juan

80 missions? I don't believe it unless they're counting the open world stuff. Is that the pool for the dailies?

80 missions and activities.

Which include, I guess, each variation of a public event, each patrol missions variants, story missions, adventures, treasure map, lost sectors, Strike and Raid.

So I guess around 20 story missions, 2/3 strikes, 1 raids, 8 to 10 adventures, 8 to 10 lost sectors, 10 variations for public events (2/3 variations on each destination), 10 treasure maps, and 20 types of patrol missions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
We should probably wait for more information on the time limit thing.

There is a Nightfall time limit in the game now. It's tied to a bounty. Beat the Nightfall in a certain amount of time, you complete the bounty and you get a piece of loot you can only get from that set of bounties.

If the time limit in Destiny 2 means you literally get booted out of the Nightfall when time runs out, that's a problem, obviously.

Kyoufu

It's not the time limit that concerns me. It's Bungie's continued stubbornness as far as matchmaking goes. It's frustrating.

Nodnol

I actually quite like the time limit thing. A sense of urgency might be pretty fun.

So content wise we're probably looking at D1 plus all DLC plus a little bit more. Sounds good to me.

renzolama

Sounds like the quest to ruin Nightfalls continues into Destiny 2, will wait to see how its implemented before getting my pitchfork out of the closet

A relevant paragraph that the the fellow redditor posted on Destiny's reddit:

Patrols and Strikes — the only PVE activities available in Destiny 1 outside of story missions — don’t unlock until the final third of the campaign, and until the notification popped up we hadn’t even noticed their absence. In total there are over 80 missions and activities in Destiny 2, and each is substantial — in length, challenge, story and reward.

Sounds very similar to the Dreadnought in TTK and the Plaguelands in ROI

Sounds like the quest to ruin Nightfalls continues into Destiny 2, will wait to see how its implemented before getting my pitchfork out of the closet

We're still on the doom and gloom phase for Destiny 2, I see

What if the modifiers were tied to the time limit? e.g. you can have a short time limit but with the daybreak modifier active, so you can just super/ability your way through the strike at breakneck speed and the challenge becomes how quickly you can burn the trash mobs and melt the boss. There's more scope for variety that way but who knows.

Also worth noting is that there is a normal and heroic mode for NFs now too with guided games available for the normal version. So maybe the time limit is for heroic mode only.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Raids i can understand, still boggles my mind why we dont have nightfall MM

It's frustrating because it feels as if a purposeful decision to not put a basic feature into a social mulitplayer game.

Just like you said, I understand no matchmaking for Raids (and for Trials, for the most part -- I personally think there should be two playlists, one for matchmaking and one for Fireteams only, both with the same rewards) but the lack of optional matchmaking for literally everything else? There's no reason to not include it.

Trials should get MM. I think it would make it more accessible if not every team you face was the best of the best assembled on a third party site.

Sounds like a much more fulfilling experience right out of the gate this time. I really hope this becomes a game I want to play a little bit every day after the initial rush to bridge the gaps between future content. I wasn't compelled to continue with vanilla Destiny in any way.

ethomaz

Banned
With all the matchmaking complaints, is no one content with what they're proposing for Guided Games?
Welcome to GAF :)

They didn't specified where guided games will works so most guys assume the worst like ito won't works for NF or story missions.

Nodnol

They didn't specified where guided games will works so most guys assume the worst like ito won't works for NF or story missions.

I can imagine it's there for all end-game content. Why buff the clan features and introduce it otherwise. Nightfall and the Raid are the only real end-game stuff that would need it.

Personally, Guided Games will be awesome for me and my friends. We just need to make the group a clan, and then we can pick up solo players to fill out the team when people are away.

KillLaCam

Banned
Not a fan of the nightfall time limit. everything else should be cool though.

Ill probably use guided games for nightfalls since I usually solo them. I usually do nightfalls at random weird times instead of planning for friends to be on. Didn't think i'd have a use for guided games

Kyoufu

It's Bungie who are the most stubborn and no-fun-allowed developers of all time so being extremely cautious of their design decisions is totally understandable.

Ramirez

With all the matchmaking complaints, is no one content with what they're proposing for Guided Games?

People post on one of the biggest gaming forums on the internet, with an entire player base in the community section dedicated to helping run newbie raids, carries, etc.

If they actually wanted to do the content, they could, very easily. But nah, let's complain that I can't match up with 2-5 randoms that would vastly result in failure/trolling the majority of the time.

Does Destiny 2 have engrams? Sorry if I missed it earlier.

Yes.

Everyone complaining about Destiny 2 having time-limited Nightfalls... Destiny 1 already has them! If you don't finish in time you still get the basic Nightfall rewards, but you completely miss out on exclusive armor armor and weapons (including the much coveted Ice Breaker exotic sniper). .

this was the right way to do it.

Having a timer kills nf for people who solo it.

Blueblur1

Whenever the Nightfall interface has been shown it only shows a 'Normal' difficultly level for Guided Games.

https://youtu.be/vVC0iN_mUW0?t=45m9s

And then at E3 Bungie confirmed there is no Guided Games functionality for Heroic level activities.

Destiny 2 introduces the Guided Games system, which serves as a matchmaking substitute of sorts for high-end group activities like Raids and Nightfall Strikes. But there are limitations on what Guided Games permit access to, as Bungie has revealed they are restricted to activities on Normal difficulty.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-destiny-2s-heroic-activities-not-accessibl/1100-6450969/

So yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.

There's so much new content that at one point in development they realised they had more content than progression (something they've subsequently fixed)
I find this very hard to believe.

Or maybe they're comparing it to vanilla Destiny 1 levels of content, which would be a low bar to cross.

If true, good on Bungie for tackling the biggest problem of the first game.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Except that is not a replacement for proper matchmaking and I think you're missing the point here. We're taking about NON-Raid activities.

Guided Games is for SOLO players only (so no, you can't use it with one friend). And only works on the normal modes of the Nightfall and Raid. It is specifically to help newbies get into the activities. It does not fix the matchmaking issue for Nightfall, story missions or arena modes.

It's a neat feature and helpful for new players.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People post on one of the biggest gaming forums on the internet, with an entire player base in the community section dedicated to helping run newbie raids, carries, etc.

If they actually wanted to do the content, they could, very easily. But nah, let's complain that I can't match up with 2-5 randoms that would vastly result in failure/trolling the majority of the time

No one here is talking about Raids. Stop blindly defending Bungie by creating a strawman. It's okay yo criticise them for leaving out basic game features.

Compsiox

Banned
I know I'm going to buy this at launch but I'm going into it feeling like a shitty consumer. I don't feel good about the game so far but I think Ill get some fun out of it.

Seijuro

If they actually wanted to do the content, they could, very easily. But nah, let's complain that I can't match up with 2-5 randoms that would vastly result in failure/trolling the majority of the time.

Many people don't have the time and opportunity to scout players on message boards or 3rd party lfg sites. Many playery just want to sit down and play and dont want to schedule play dates with other people. Matchmaking for basic story missions and different group activities is not difficult to implement by Bungie. Many other games have it. That's where the frustration comes from. It's excluding players that don't want to go through this hassle for something that is a most basic feature nowadays.

to make that clear: nobody wants to take premade groups away from people who prefer that. Of course you will get better results in raids, nightfalls etc that way.
But what I don't get is even denying people the option to matchmake for everything.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Many people don't have the time and opportunity to scout players on message boards or 3rd party lfg sites. Many playery just want to sit down and play and dont want to schedule play dates with other people. Matchmaking for basic story missions and different group activities is not difficult to implement by Bungie. Many other games have it. That's where the frustration comes from. It's excluding players that don't want to go through this hassle for something that is a most basic feature nowadays.

to make that clear: nobody wants to take premade groups away from people who prefer that. Of course you will get better results in raids, nightfalls etc that way.
But what I don't get is even denying people the option to matchmake for everything.

It frustrates me that some of the hardcore Destiny fans look at the game through only their own lens.

Most people who play Destiny aren't on GAF or Reddit. They jump in and they play the game. It should be easy for everyone to play the majority of activities in the game. Other than Raids and perhaps Trials, you should be able to jump into everything else (once you hit a specific light level, of course).

Maybe Nightfalls shouldn't be soloable?

I dunno. I like that its kinda hilarious Bungie are so hardline about no matchmiking because THE PLAYER EXPERIENCE! but are OK letting people jump into raids and nightfalls solo and getting ganked.

Its the weird backwards vision that has so defined Destiny distilled.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to play this, PC beta needs to hurry up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait so there's no matchmaking in Knightfall?

This makes me want a game based on Batman: Knightfall now.

But that's correct. There is no matchmaking, only Guided Games, which is so that solo players can be matchmade with a Clan in the Nightfall.

BUT, here's the catch: based on the menus of the game we've seen, it looks like they made an easier version of the Nightfall. There are now two difficulties. And you can't use Guided Games for the Heroic version, i.e. the version the vast majority of players give a crap about.

Aaron Olive

- There's so much new content that at one point in development they realised they had more content than progression (something they've subsequently fixed)

See... everyone criticized me for saying Bungie be removing content just so they can sell it back to the customers, I said it before and I’ll say it again I’m not buying this game till all the DLC is finished, see ya September 2019 Bungie and that’s if the Game is even worth buying by then.

ethomaz

Banned
Whenever the Nightfall interface has been shown it only shows a 'Normal' difficultly level for Guided Games.

https://youtu.be/vVC0iN_mUW0?t=45m9s

And then at E3 Bungie confirmed there is no Guided Games functionality for Heroic level activities.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-destiny-2s-heroic-activities-not-accessibl/1100-6450969/

So yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes... there are Guided Games for all activities except if you choose Heroic difficult.

That is what I get.

So Nightfall is included... I don't remember having an Heroic Nightfall difficult in Destiny.

Wait so there's no matchmaking in Knightfall?
There is Guided Games.

Nodnol

Except that is not a replacement for proper matchmaking and I think you're missing the point here. We're taking about NON-Raid activities.

Guided Games is for SOLO players only (so no, you can't use it with one friend). And only works on the normal modes of the Nightfall and Raid. It is specifically to help newbies get into the activities. It does not fix the matchmaking issue for Nightfall, story missions or arena modes.

It's a neat feature and helpful for new players.

That's a step in the right direction, and the toughest content shouldn't have fully fledged match-making
IMO.

6 ransoms together for even something like Vault of Glass would be a disaster. It would most likely be a toxic experience.

Guided Games will hopefully push people to meet and play with new people that they can then friend and play together again in the future. I know I'll be padding my friends list out with like-minded players on the back of it.

That said, people say they couldn't find someone to play with on here, somewhere with a great and active Destiny community that regularly invite and welcome new-comers, so I guess some people will never be satisfied until they're matched with a couple of guys AFK, one guy yelling to his Mom, one guy playing music constantly and a couple of pre-teens screeching down the mic, all through match-making because reasons.

Unless there's a massive difficulty spike, Guided Games shouldn't be warranted for anything but Raids and Nightfall. I'd imagine if it's a success, there's no reason to include the more difficult content, but I can understand their cautiousness.

DilWSTS

Im hoping this is more than Destiny 1.5. Ill grab it on PC so i can at least be semi competitive in PvP haha

ZeoVGM

Banned
See... everyone criticized me for saying Bungie be removing content just so they can sell it back to the customers, I said it before and I’ll say it again I’m not buying this game till all the DLC is finished, see ya September 2019 Bungie and that’s if the Game is even worth buying by then.

You can't possible be serious.

There is literally nothing in that quote to suggest that. At all.

Top Bottom