• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny 2 info from EDGE #310

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yes... there are Guided Games for all activities except if you choose Heroic difficult.

That is what I get.

So Nightfall is included... I don't remember having an Heroic Nightfall difficult in Destiny.

There is Guided Games.

Guided Games only works if you're a solo player.

And the default Nightfall was Heroic difficulty in Destiny 1. Which means they made an easier one for Destiny 2, which defeats the purpose.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's a step in the right direction, and the toughest content shouldn't have fully fledged match-making
IMO.

6 ransoms together for even something like Vault of Glass would be a disaster. It would most likely be a toxic experience.

No one here is saying it should be there for Raids.

Good god, I said multiple times that matchmaking should be there for everything that ISN'T Raids or Trials.

BLCKATK

Yo the Nightfall time-limit is actually making me pretty hyped. I like the idea of only being able to say in a "tainted zone" for so long, and the Lost to Light bonus mission was one of the best surprises in Taken King. It was super special to get Black Spindle and it actually took some serious play to get through.

Taking Nightfall in that direction kind of moves it a leg up on the possible difficulty-to-progression scale, which makes me think there is gonna be more going to be more to progression in D2.

D2 shaping up to be:

Story -> Patrol (Public Event/Adventures/World Quest/Lost Sectors) -> Strikes/PvP -> Flashpoint (Heroic Patrol with Bonuses basically) -> Nightfalls -> Raids/Endgame PvP

Compared to D1, which was basically:

Story -> Strikes/PvP -> Arena/Nightfalls -> Raid/Endgame PvP.

Just seems way more fleshed out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't know why some--including Bungee, apparently--view Matchmaking as this poison to avoid... Many of my best gaming memories came from matchmaking with randoms and I even made friends with it sometimes.

I mean, what's wrong with people have two different choices whether they want to coordinate with friends or just play with randoms? BUT THE TROLLS AND FAILS you say, but folks using matchmaking in any game since whenever already understood this, and it's not like gamers everywhere are children that can't make their own decisions about how they want to enjoy things.

Gator86

I don't know why some--including Bungee, apparently--view Matchmaking as this poison to avoid... Many of my best gaming memories came from matchmaking with randoms and I even made friends with it sometimes.

I mean, what's wrong with people have two different choices whether they want to coordinate with friends or just play with randoms? BUT THE TROLLS AND FAILS you say, but folks using matchmaking in any game since whenever already understood this, and it's not like gamers everywhere are children that can't make their own decisions about how they want to enjoy things.

Modern Bungie reminds a lot of Nintendo where you ask for something and it's filtered through a stupidity algorithm and comes out as something definitely not what you asked for. Like when you ask Nintendo to improve their online and you get a paid app monstrosity. Here, it's timers and guided games. Bungie knows best and you and your opinions can eat shit forever and always.

Ramirez

No one here is talking about Raids. Stop blindly defending Bungie by creating a strawman. It's okay yo criticise them for leaving out basic game features.

I'm not blindly defending them, lol. I'm saying that if you cared enough to want to do a Raid, Trials, or NF...you could easily do it through GAF/Reddit/other sites in less than 5-10 minutes.

No one can convince me that matchmaking wouldn't be absolutely miserable for Trials/Raid. NF should have matchmaking, I've always said that. I would be really shocked if GG doesn't allow NF parties to be formed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm not blindly defending them, lol. I'm saying that if you cared enough to want to do a Raid, Trials, or NF...you could easily do it through GAF/Reddit/other sites in less than 5-10 minutes.

No one can convince me that matchmaking wouldn't be absolutely miserable for Trials/Raid. NF should have matchmaking, I've always said that. I would be really shocked if GG doesn't allow NF parties to be formed.

I mean, its not like you will not be allowed to coordinate or play with friends if other people want to matchmake... Let other people who matchmake worry about it 'being miserable for Trials/Raids/whatever', it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever.

I don't understand why people would be against more options for whatever reason. So weird.

Magwik

Banned
I mean, its not like you will not be allowed to coordinate or play with friends if other people want to matchmake... Let other people who matchmake worry about it 'being miserable for Trials/Raids/whatever', it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever.

I don't understand why people would be against more options for whatever reason. So weird.
Gotta remember that raids are designed and balanced around a team communicating on a level above normal matchmaking. So then they'll just get a ton of complaints about it being too hard.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gotta remember that raids are designed and balanced around a team communicating on a level above normal matchmaking. So then they'll just get a ton of complaints about it being too hard.

I am unsure that, say, people playing with randoms, especially with mics, will universally perform worse than those who play with their friends. Especially with YouTube video tutorials being so abundant for stuff like this. In fact, I think it's a great way to make new friends with other people, especially at times when you can't just be bothered doing the whole 'Anyone want to play with me?' posts in whatever message board or stuff.

ramyeon

You've never played a raid, have you?

Honestly they just wouldn't work with traditional matchmaking. It would be an exercise in frustration for everyone involved.

Guided Games is a good solution and I think it's worth giving a chance.

jviggy43

This could make me buy the game. Come on Bungie.
I'm calling it now this is pr speak. If that's true then I'm left wondering why they've shown off so little and are so tight lipped about everything. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it was just to really blow our minds.

You've never played a raid, have you?

Honestly they just wouldn't work with traditional matchmaking. It would be an exercise in frustration for everyone involved.

Guided Games is a good solution and I think it's worth giving a chance.
Knock it off. The raids are not that challenging and would totally function with matchmaking. Hell, people already use matchmaking for raids they've just had to use a third party app to do it.

ramyeon

I'm calling it now this is pr speak. If that's true then I'm left wondering why they've shown off so little and are so tight lipped about everything. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it was just to really blow our minds.

Knock it off. The raids are not that challenging and would totally function with matchmaking. Hell, people already use matchmaking for raids they've just had to use a third party app to do it.
Knock what off? No need to talk to me like that.

Except with traditional matchmaking there is no way to require use of mic. I cannot imagine doing Aksis with a group not on mic. Even basic stuff like making sure there is one empowered member on each side and they're in position before dropping his shields would be extremely difficult.

Edit: Even Voksis phase 2 with making sure everyone gets into a cleansing room before the Siva saturation goes off. Or getting people on the platforms in the Oryx fight in the correct order with the correct timing. The raid encounters are puzzles that are DESIGNED around communication.

They may not be hard but they definitely require communication.

It's not about playing with people you don't know - I've done heaps of that in Destiny, it's about the fact that with automated matchmaking the chances of people using mic is so slim, and the chances of everyone in a group of 6 all using it is next to none.

I am unsure that, say, people playing with randoms, especially with mics, will universally perform worse than those who play with their friends. Especially with YouTube video tutorials being so abundant for stuff like this. In fact, I think it's a great way to make new friends with other people, especially at times when you can't just be bothered doing the whole 'Anyone want to play with me?' posts in whatever message board or stuff.

Completely false. In fact, I've had groups I joined/created on LFG services that were awful. And this was with everyone having mics.

There's one big benefit to premade groups over matchmaking that people seem to ignore: the ability to boot/kick players. In matchmade games, no one is the "party leader" which means you are stuck with the people you are with, even if they aren't listening, dont even have mics, trolling, etc.

ramyeon

It doesn't matter if everyone in the group knows the encounter off by heart if they aren't communicating. How will you organize who is cannon bearer and who is bomb thrower on each side on Aksis? How will you make sure if there are two empowered on one side that the cannon bearer moves to the side that isn't covered if you're not letting people know where you are and what's going on? The encounters are literally designed around communicating with one another.

When I play with people I know I am used to the way they play, what they are good at and their temperament. Those are all pretty big advantages over randoms.

I also don't have to worry about hearing a racial or homosexual slur in anger which is way too common.

jviggy43

Knock what off? No need to talk to me like that.

Except with traditional matchmaking there is no way to require use of mic. I cannot imagine doing Aksis with a group not on mic. Even basic stuff like making sure there is one empowered member on each side and they're in position before dropping his shields would be extremely difficult.

Edit: Even Voksis phase 2 with making sure everyone gets into a cleansing room before the Siva saturation goes off. Or getting people on the platforms in the Oryx fight in the correct order with the correct timing. The raid encounters are puzzles that are DESIGNED around communication.

They may not be hard but they definitely require communication.

It's not about playing with people you don't know - I've done heaps of that in Destiny, it's about the fact that with automated matchmaking the chances of people using mic is so slim, and the chances of everyone in a group of 6 all using it is next to none.

Just allow party leader to boot people and you've solved that problem. Start a search as party leader or start a search as a random. And if you find it isn't working, you can use the options that are already there that we've all used for destiny 1 anyway. The inclusion of a matchmaking system would not in any way diminish what's already there for destiny, it would just more readily allow others to experience the raid content which is the best stuff in the game. Worst case scenario, you're using the avenues of third party apps like you are now. Best case scenario you have a system that allows quicker formation of teams and gives more players the chance to experience the raid.

ramyeon

Just allow party leader to boot people and you've solved that problem. Start a search as party leader or start a search as a random. And if you find it isn't working, you can use the options that are already there that we've all used for destiny 1 anyway. The inclusion of a matchmaking system would not in any way diminish what's already there for destiny, it would just more readily allow others to experience the raid content which is the best stuff in the game. Worst case scenario, you're using the avenues of third party apps like you are now. Best case scenario you have a system that allows quicker formation of teams and gives more players the chance to experience the raid.
Guided Games allows people to experience that content and gets them involved in the social aspect of Destiny at the same time.

Your suggestion means party leader would have to boot ransoms over and over until they get a whole group of people using mic.

jviggy43

Guided Games allows people to experience that content and gets them involved in the social aspect of Destiny at the same time.

Your suggestion means party leader would have to boot ransoms over and over until they get a whole group of people using mic.
That's assuming they experience every random joins without a Mic and also that already happens with the current system of using a 3rd party app.

Ramirez

I'm not against it, I'm just saying it's probably a waste of time on their end. I would wager the amount of negative experiences it would cause for people would outweigh the positives, and they're probably afraid of it turning people off of the game.

Plus I think there's a real fear of it eventually creeping into the territory of, "well we have to design these encounters with the possibility of not everyone having a mic". They have free reign on design right now with the understanding that anyone who participates in these activities are going to be heavily communicating. I don't want the experience dumbed down, so in that sense, I do oppose it.

ramyeon

That's assuming they experience every random joins without a Mic and also that already happens with the current system of using a 3rd party app.
I've never had someone not on mic using the100 as long as I tag the game as mic required.

The chances of every random joining with no mic is much higher than the chances of getting people on mic.

ZeoVGM

Banned

No one can convince me that matchmaking wouldn't be absolutely miserable for Trials/Raid. NF should have matchmaking, I've always said that

No one is talking about Trials/Raid.

That literally isn't the conversation.

I would be really shocked if GG doesn't allow NF parties to be formed.

Guided Games allows a solo player to match up with two people in a Clan for the easy mode of Nightfall.

Nothing more than that.

ZugZug123

I really have no fucking clue about this game anymore - it's one step forward and one step back. A lot of the new stuff and a lot of the changes to the old stuff just seems so...petty and unnecessary.

I guess I won't know til I play it myself.

As a PC/Nintendo gamer, I was super excited when they announced Destiny 2 was going to be on PC. But with all the news that keep coming up, I think I will wait a bit to get actual impressions before I buy it. Will def be on the beta EO Aug to at least get a feel for the gameplay.

jviggy43

I've never had someone not on mic using the100 as long as I tag the game as mic required.

The chances of every random joining with no mic is much higher than the chances of getting people on mic.

Ive had it happen plenty of times regardless of what I post for requirements. I also have had to kick people mid raid who said they knew what to do when they clearly didnt know what they were doing,

What it comes down to is the existence of a matchmaking system would in no way hinder your destiny experience. You could use the same system you do now and avoid it all together all the while losing nothing. Conversely, there are people who want a match making system that wouldnt mind dealing with the issues (many of which are the same issues were already dealing with using lfg or the like). Its just weird that were stil having this conversation 3 years later when those who take issue with the system could skip it while those who want it can use it,

ramyeon

Ive had it happen plenty of times regardless of what I post for requirements. I also have had to kick people mid raid who said they knew what to do when they clearly didnt know what they were doing,

What it comes down to is the existence of a matchmaking system would in no way hinder your destiny experience. You could use the same system you do now and avoid it all together all the while losing nothing. Conversely, there are people who want a match making system that wouldnt mind dealing with the issues (many of which are the same issues were already dealing with using lfg or the like). Its just weird that were stil having this conversation 3 years later when those who take issue with the system could skip it while those who want it can use it,
Never had any issues like that with the100 games, worst I've had was a "Sherpa" rage quit during a heroic challenge run which sucked, but then imagine trying challenges on matchmaking that'd be fun.

Guided Games sounds like a good middle ground solution, I reckon it's worth giving a chance.

Ramirez

No one is talking about Trials/Raid.

That literally isn't the conversation.

Guided Games allows a solo player to match up with two people in a Clan for the easy mode of Nightfall.

Nothing more than that.

Plenty of people are saying they want MM for everything in this thread, what are you talking about?

You keep reeling off these GG facts, but I wasn't aware a detailed outline of what is and isn't in it had been put out there, got a link?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Plenty of people are saying they want MM for everything in this thread, what are you talking about?

No, people are mainly talking about non-Raid activities. The conversation literally started with someone asking about story missions.

(Not that it would matter anyway. No one is forced to used matchmaking.)

You keep reeling off these GG facts, but I wasn't aware a detailed outline of what is and isn't in it had been put out there, got a link?

It doesn't take that long to Google before making your own argument.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-destiny-2s-heroic-activities-not-accessibl/1100-6450969/

Ramirez

No, people are mainly talking about non-Raid activities. The conversation literally started with someone asking about story missions.

(Not that it would matter anyway. No one is forced to used matchmaking.)

It doesn't take that long to Google before making your own argument.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-destiny-2s-heroic-activities-not-accessibl/1100-6450969/

The guy I was talking to was talking about MM for everything, bruh.

That article makes it sound like there will be two tiers of Nightfall, it's not very clear, TBH.

The whole point of GG is to introduce you to possible clans that you can join up with after you've proven yourself capable to them, so that in itself would open up the door to the heroic stuff for people if they manage to find a clan the way the system seems to be intended to work. Who knows if it will at this point, the details are still vague.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The guy I was talking to was talking about MM for everything, bruh.

That article makes it sound like there will be two tiers of Nightfall, it's not very clear, TBH.

There are two tiers of Nightfall. You can't use Guided Games for the heroic tier.

This isn't hard.

Ramirez

There are two tiers of Nightfall. You can't use Guided Games for the heroic tier.

This isn't hard.

Ok, and there wasn't two tiers of NF in the first game, unless they added it after I quit playing?

We don't even know how hard the Heroic version will be, so how do I know if them limiting the activity to groups only is justified?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ok, and there wasn't two tiers of NF in the first game, unless they added it after I quit playing?

We don't even know how hard the Heroic version will be, so how do I know if them limiting the activity to groups only is justified?

... No, there's only one tier. That's the point. The regular version of Nightfall isn't going to allowed Guided Games.

Which again, ISN'T matchmaking. It's only for SOLO players to find a clan of two people. that isn't a replacement for matchmaking, which there is NO reason not to include as an option. Why would you even argue against it?

levyjl1988

Banned
Ah I hate time limits, one of the reasons why I didn't pick up Dead Rising 1. It caused too much tension and restrictions.

Monocle

Sounds great. Glad to hear about the shield pop and the good campaign.

A big boo for time limits in Nightfall strikes though. Let me do these things at my own pace, thanks.

Ramirez

... No, there's only one tier. That's the point. The regular version of Nightfall isn't going to allowed Guided Games.

Which again, ISN'T matchmaking. It's only for SOLO players to find a clan of two people. that isn't a replacement for matchmaking, which there is NO reason not to include as an option. Why would you even argue against it?

Ok, I read the article as saying the heroic versions of the raids and nightfall strikes instead of just heroic raids.

One of my first posts in here said I've always thought NF should have matchmaking. You call me a blind defender, and continue to quote me when I was talking to someone else in the the thread. I have no idea why you're on me so hard.

GhaleonEB

Nightfalls have always been about doing strikes under a particular set of arduous conditions. I'm fine with time constraints being one of them. Time limits have led to some of the craziest most exhilarating experiences I've had, including a recent Nightfall with a friend where we were trying to beat one in 30 minutes for a record book achievement. Final time: 29:59. We were literally screaming when it popped.

If D2 delivers one experience like that, I'll be glad they are there.

speiky

Anyone else intrigued by that little (NDAd) Hunter class info nugget? I'm going to start as a hunter regardless (sucker for gunslinger and all things spaghetti westerns), but that gives me hope they will be buffed in some form to even out the class specific abilities (more useful for group play)!

Freeman76

it's not like gamers everywhere are children that can't make their own decisions about how they want to enjoy things.

Erm sorry to bust your bubble but this is exactly the problem. The VAST majority are exactly that and if you think otherwise you arent paying attention the hobby you love mate.

80 missions and activities.

Which include, I guess, each variation of a public event, each patrol missions variants, story missions, adventures, treasure map, lost sectors, Strike and Raid.

So I guess around 20 story missions, 2/3 strikes, 1 raids, 8 to 10 adventures, 8 to 10 lost sectors, 10 variations for public events (2/3 variations on each destination), 10 treasure maps, and 20 types of patrol missions.

Sounds nice. That would actually be really reasonable if they're up to par with Destiny 1's content. I'll be happy to pay $60 for that.

Yam's

Exactly. A lot of people also seem to forget that using thrid party websites is a lot harder for us Europeans. When you got a mix of people speaking different languages, mic or no mic doesn't change a thing and recruiting people only speaking your language can take a lot of time. I'd rather get a MM system that lets me filter languages I want to play with and see it from there. Wouldn't change a thing for people who got a clan/enough friends to raid.

Nightfalls have always been about doing strikes under a particular set of arduous conditions. I'm fine with time constraints being one of them. Time limits have led to some of the craziest most exhilarating experiences I've had, including a recent Nightfall with a friend where we were trying to beat one in 30 minutes for a record book achievement. Final time: 29:59. We were literally screaming when it popped.

Same feeling with me in Destiny, also I dealt with it a lot with Challenge Modes in Mists of Pandaria / Warlords of Draenor in WoW and Mythic Dungeons, all with time limits also. I really love the experience and it's really great competing with the time limit.

Also, I had a few of the same experiences in WoW like you said, 30 minute time limit and literally finish with at least less than a second left, it's a really great experience, I live for that shit.

FyreWulff

Yeah, this is my take on it. Nightfalls have never really been about er, "player freedom". They've always been a set of arbitrary, sometimes insanely hard, rarely insanely easy, parameters to complete it in.

I think it's also obvious that Bungie saw people feeling the need to camp just outside the boss rooms in Year 1 or feeling the need to cheese to complete as a failure of the encounter design, so they made them all much more fun and less unfair with updates.

Ominym

Banned
Implementing a time limit is just the laziest design strategy possible and that's ignoring the fact that this is a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

It's baffling how misguided on design Bungie is as of late.

At this point, I just hope that Bungee doesn't drop the ball on the PC (real) port. I bought a PS4 for Destiny and felt I got my money's worth, and I bought a gaming PC recently so I hope D2 will pull me right back in. But honestly, Bungee has a lot of convicting to do, especially after that lackluster beta.

FyreWulff

Implementing a time limit is just the laziest design strategy possible and that's ignoring the fact that this is a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

It's baffling how misguided on design Bungie is as of late.

But it's Nightfall. It's supposed to be challenging. If you want unlimited time, play the regular Strike version?

Top Bottom