• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

Wizman23

Banned
Looks like borderlands in all the right ways.

Can we toggle numbers on? I love me some flying numbers for damage.

PLEASE INCLUDE DAMAGE NUMBERS!!!! One thing that is severely lacking in the Destiny footage is damage and XP earned numbers. Some people may hate that stuff but I love it.

viveks86

Just got through the video. My opinion of the released footage has changed quite a bit now. So much info that nobody was talking about!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This.

No numbers, no critical, just make the shots feel like they count, and pop those dome pieces for the satisfying head shot.
I want both. Damage animations definitely shouldn't be neglected for the sake of numbers.

This.

No numbers, no critical, just make the shots feel like they count, and pop those dome pieces for the satisfying head shot.

Critical shots seem pretty important though, based on that video analysis, so I like that you know when you've gotten one.

Seeing all the numbers shoot out doesn't seem necessary though, I may be wrong but it doesn't appear that damage stats are important as they were in a game like Borderlands.

Halo's one thing, but I feel like given how stereotypical a game Destiny's shooting for in the first place, they shouldn't be afraid to throw in raw numeric values in combat. Halo was one thing because, generally speaking, you can gauge the weapons that count (BR headshot kills, plasma pistols insta-draining shielding, etc.) and keep visual feedback in mind. Given how much loot, powerups and potential enemy variations may exist, it seems more important to know what you're doing in this case.

daedalius

I'm sure there would be a way to toggle off 'Critical' and damage numbers, nothing wrong with wanting options.

I want to see 3500k critical headshots.

Calcium

Banned
I loved seeing more of the game, but like many of you I really want to see something other than Old Russia. None of the classes really stand out to me from what we've seen either.

Flipyap

I'm sure there would be a way to toggle off 'Critical' and damage numbers, nothing wrong with wanting options.
Speaking of wanting options, I wonder if we'll finally get some volume settings now that the tyrannical sound overlord is gone.
Options are cool, I like those.

Speaking of wanting options, I wonder if we'll finally get some volume settings now that the tyrannical sound overlord is gone.
Options are cool, I like those.
I could really go for an option to perfectly center the crosshair. Bungie games throw me off my rhythm with their low hangin' crosshairs.

Mix

I like the idea of being able to turn off all of the extra HUD stuff. I don't want to see the health bars of all the enemies, the bosses, sure, but like the infantry guys? It's unneeded IMO

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
They sound awsome, I just hope they're hard for the right reasons.

No Reach Wraiths. All new IP. ;)

Does the same apply to the main story campaign? Can I either head into the next mission or just take a detour and stumble on a public event, or explore and find loot/weapons? That's been the question on my mind for ages now, on how seamless all these game modes are.

You can absolutely stray from the mainline mission if you want to join a public event.

Oh! Interesting! Now what types of bikes are called Sparrows? Is a Pike a Sparrow as well? Or only Guardian vehicles are Sparrows?

Pikes are Pikes, and not Sparrows. Similar in some ways, different in many vital others.

This looks like an interesting mix of Halo and Borderlands, even though I hated Borderlands for the most part this looks really neat.

Hey Urk,

Where would you say the balance of player skill vs. Avatar power lies? Do you think we'll be seeing level 1 runs through the toughest content (think dark souls level 1 runs)? Or do you expect some content will have a ramp up?

viveks86

You can absolutely stray from the mainline mission if you want to join a public event.

HOLY FUCKING HELL! You've been saying all the right things, Urk. Awesome! Thanks!

Pikes are Pikes, and not Sparrows. Similar in some ways, different in many vital others.

Vital others eh? I know they have a mounted weapon and I know you will not comment on whether we can use it in combat or not. But for now, I'm gonna assume that is one of the vital differences. I'll keep it a secret, I promise :p

Hey Urk will we be fighting that large beast at the end of the Mars trailer (Law of the Jungle) in any raids? :)

I'm most excited for exploration, pvp and hard shit like the raids

Where would you say the balance of player skill vs. Avatar power lies? Do you think we'll be seeing level 1 runs through the toughest content (think dark souls level 1 runs)?
Hah, wouldn't THAT be something. Would love to see skill trump stat numbers significantly in a game like this.

viveks86

I meant the Law of the Jungle trailer. Starts on the Moon and ends on Mars with a macho beast!

Ohh that beast. My bad. Had assumed you were referring to this beast:

10_1_Hive_4_shot.jpg

Not feeling the trailer, made it look like an xp funnel grind designed for multiple online players (which it probably was) I always liked or even loved the Halo campaigns so the trailer can be deceiving and the game could be the most fun i've ever had in the end. But just looking at the trailer? Not feeling anything.

Pop

I just want to explore for hours with some buddies.

How big of an area can we expect free roam to cover? Can I decide to go from one end to the other without any interruptions?

viveks86

I just want to explore for hours with some buddies.

How big of an area can we expect free roam to cover? Can I decide to go from one end to the other without any interruptions?

Within a location, yes. They've confirmed that. So you can free roam all over this map.

destiny-earth-map.png

Now is all of that just Old Russia (I think so), or is that the entire playable portion of Earth, I don't know. What I do know is that both Devil's Lair and Rocket Yard are part of Old Russia. Urk, any comments/corrections?

Pop

Within a location, yes. They've confirmed that. So you can free roam all over this map.

Now is all of that just Old Russia (I think so), or is that the entire playable portion of Earth, I don't know. What I do know is that both Devil's Lair and Rocket Yard are part of Old Russia. Urk, any comments/corrections?

That's pretty sweet. Looks like I'll get to chill at the ocean as well.

Surely we can expect other locations on Earth, this just being one of many.

Sothpaw

Not feeling the trailer, made it look like an xp funnel grind designed for multiple online players (which it probably was) I always liked or even loved the Halo campaigns so the trailer can be deceiving and the game could be the most fun i've ever had in the end. But just looking at the trailer? Not feeling anything.

I have to agree. The gameplay looks pretty bland to be honest. I prefer the over the top batshit crazy Borderlands feel. MMO games tend to have very bland quests and I hope this game doesn't suffer from that.

viveks86

That's pretty sweet. Looks like I'll get to chill at the ocean as well.

Surely we can expect other locations on Earth, this just being one of many.

Oh sure. There are many that we know of so far:

• Black Garden
  • The City
  • The Wall
  • European Dead Zone
  • Old Chicago
  • Old Russia
  • The Reef
  • The Tower
  • Twilight Gap
  • Mumbai Push

Check all the concept art here:
http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Earth

There might be some redundancy there (it's not an official site), for example the wall looks like a part of Old Russia. I could be wrong but the art style looks identical.

EDIT: Disregard that. The Wall surrounds The City, apparently.

The game looks fun, doesn't remind me too much of Borderlands which is a really, really good thing in my opinion. There isn't too many games in the same mold as Destiny, but if there is one similar game out there I'm hoping Destiny takes some of influences after, it would be Mass Effect; more specifically the free online mode added onto 3. Mass Effect 3's online had some great abilities and weapons that were varied, fun to use, and had great synergy with each other, making for some interesting weapon/ability combos. Not to mention most weapons felt like they packed some good power behind them, which made them satisfying to use, and ensured enemies didn't feel like total bullet sponges. Also the better weapons felt powerful and badass like they should.Mass effect 3's online component wasn't perfect, but it definitely had a few good things going for it that I would like to see again in another game. Although I probably shouldn't be worried, Bungie is an accomplished fps developer after all, so Destiny is probably going to be fun regardless of if or where it's drawing influences from.

Thug Larz

Neo Member
Lars is a human freak and plays a controller mapping so radical the government put him on the no fly list. I don't know if BJ is in by name, but there are a healthy amount of options and tweaks.

Damn it, Urk... You're not supposed to tell them my secrets. :p

I imagine my preferred control scheme will be adopted by many of the GAF.

viveks86

So we're back to Sparrows now?

What happened to Shrikes?

They are still there. Sparrows are a class of personal vehicles. Shrikes are a subclass. So all Shrikes are Sparrows. All Sparrows are not Shrikes. Which means there are other kinds of Sparrows that haven't been revealed yet.

http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepicker/6/destiny-earth-map.png[/IMG

Now is all of that just Old Russia (I think so), or is that the entire playable portion of Earth, I don't know. What I do know is that both Devil's Lair and Rocket Yard are part of Old Russia. Urk, any comments/corrections?[/QUOTE]

Must be what they were calling Old Russia back at E3, but in the trailer and on the map it's referred to as the Cosmodrome. There may be other locations on Earth, too, as I don't see the City anywhere on this map. They come through the Wall to the Rocket Yard (I think) from the location with the road that is lined with cars (Which I think is South-East of "The Divide").

Here is a before/after of what I think is the area from the E3 demo, the one with the green wall is the newer one:

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/k0lPzNf.jpg
a34gcpJ.jpg

It definitely looks nicer, and the area seems to have changed a bit in the past year or so. I can't help but think it looks like The Wall was scaled down just a tad - based on the size of the entrance door to the dungeon area.

This is a shot looking at The Wall of what I believe is the location that the player fights the Devil Walker, a perspective we did not see in the original E3 video (based on the broken bridge segments):

Here are some other shots from various videos of The Wall, from different locations, as well as a few shots of the human "Colony Ships" all from around the same area, I think (but notice the rust on some parts of the Wall):

This last shot I believe is back on the reverse side of the Wall, maybe in the Blind Steppes or the Gateway looking East at the sunrise, away from the Wall (notice the line of cars again):

What used to, I think, look like this:

viveks86

Must be what they were calling Old Russia back at E3, but in the trailer and on the map it's referred to as the Cosmodrome. There may be other locations on Earth, too, as I don't see the City anywhere on this map. They come through the Wall to the Rocket Yard (I think) from the location with the road that is lined with cars (Which I think is South-East of "The Divide").

Here is a before/after of what I think is the area from the E3 demo, the one with the green wall is the newer one:

It definitely looks nicer, and the area seems to have changed a bit in the past year or so. I can't help but think it looks like The Wall was scaled down just a tad - based on the size of the entrance door to the dungeon area.

This is a shot looking at The Wall of what I believe is the location that the player fights the Devil Walker, a perspective we did not see in the original E3 video (based on the broken bridge segments):

Here are some other shots from various videos of The Wall, from different locations, as well as a few shots of the human "Colony Ships" all from around the same area, I think (but notice the rust on some parts of the Wall):

This last shot I believe is back on the reverse side of the Wall, maybe in the Blind Steppes or the Gateway looking East at the sunrise, away from the Wall (notice the line of cars again):

What used to, I think, look like this:

Cool. Thanks. That pretty much confirms that this entire map is just one of the many contiguous locations on Earth. We've had a glimpse of the Tower and The City. We haven't seen Old Chicago or Mumbai Push in action. Now the question is, will they be available at launch or do they plan to introduce them later...

Top Bottom