• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

Lasty95

They've confirmed Earth, Moon, Venus and Mars are in the game but not given any indication of how many locations on earth in game 1.

Can't really see there being only 4 maps, even if they are much larger than Halo maps. Hopefully we'll see at least a couple on Earth.

The hints of 'substantial dlc' is almost certainly more locations.

Bungie just tweeted a really great gameplay analysis video. I highly recommend checking it out.

http://youtu.be/xhLBgqPnSUk

this video is actually pretty awesome, thanks.

also want to add, the slightest of things in this game seems to make the biggest of impacts, for me anyways. I'm probably not the only one who thinks this, but the slide mechanic and the knife throwing mechanic are huge :) Pretty brilliant design imo.

Just looks like different times of the day as you can tell by the lighting. Weather looks darker as well.

there's some definite texture and paint job changes. On the cosmodrome especially, dunno about the other stuff. Also hope the last two screens of that post are not from the same area, I vastly prefer the geometry going on in the second(old) one. Might seem like nitpicking sure, guess I'll find out once the beta hits. Undoubtedly these environments are gonna be part of the beta.

They've confirmed Earth, Moon, Venus and Mars are in the game but not given any indication of how many locations on earth in game 1.

Can't really see there being only 4 maps, even if they are much larger than Halo maps. Hopefully we'll see at least a couple on Earth.

The hints of 'substantial dlc' is almost certainly more locations.

They've at least show footage of Saturn, as well. That said, I don't think it's fair to look at these as maps, they're more like hub "area zones" with multiple sub locations and "dungeons" for Strikes, loot, secrets, etc. Earth may have multiple of these zones, like Chicago, or the City, etc. Other planets may be like this as well, or could expand to include new locations in the future.

They've at least show footage of Saturn, as well. That said, I don't think it's fair to look at these as maps, they're more like hub "area zones" with multiple sub locations and "dungeons" for Strikes, loot, secrets, etc. Earth may have multiple of these zones, like Chicago, or the City, etc. Other planets may be like this as well, or could expand to include new locations in the future.

really, they've shown off Saturn? Do you have a link, I would love to see it :)

The Playstation Access video made it pretty clear when Destiny ships there will be Earth, Moon, Venus, and Mars, and even then we might not have access to 100% of those areas.

After watching that video I'm no longer interested. I'm not big on FPS' at all, but this didn't tickle my fancy. Did seem Borderlands like to me, which I couldn't really get into.

Flipyap

It's just some brief clips and concept art showing the rings of Saturn with a derelict spacecraft hanging in orbit. These space wrecks are what we'd be raiding in that region of space, since the planet doesn't have a surface.

VbCZD07.jpg

The Playstation Access video made it pretty clear when Destiny ships there will be Earth, Moon, Venus, and Mars, and even then we might not have access to 100% of those areas.

A few videos have just teased it for a few seconds, here's one (1:51): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Jx5__c1lY#t=111

Also, in that same video @ 2:14, we see the Sun from what you might guess would be Mercury, or at least some object VERY close. Campaign may have you go to special super awesome places, perhaps? Or maybe these are locations for the future DLC? Or maybe these are locations yet to be revealed?

Yeah it's called Cassini. No idea if that's part of launch. Also, there is Mercury

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131005224629/destinypedia/images/thumb/a/a4/Possibly-mercury.jpg/1000px-Possibly-mercury.jpg[/IMG

And a mention of jupiter in this video:

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cvODf0vASM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cvODf0vASM[/URL][/QUOTE]

There you go. So I don't know what that's all about. Seriously hope it's not cut :(

PnCIa

I dont know if anybody knows the following...

-will we be able to switch of the health bars, enemy names etc...?
-can i walk around alone? Or will i be part of a team at all times? I dont like the idea that i have to keep up with others when i just want to look at dat sky :>

Skeleton

Banned
I dont know if anybody knows the following...

-will we be able to switch of the health bars, enemy names etc...?
-can i walk around alone? Or will i be part of a team at all times? I dont like the idea that i have to keep up with others when i just want to look at dat sky :>

Question one, We don't know

Question two, Yes destiny is YOUR gane, you can do what you want the way you want.

I dunno how I haven't mentioned this before, but the game seems to have a day/night cycle? dunno if that was something previously confirmed. The strike gameplay showed the fireteam starting their mission in daylight and then halfway through its night.

Lasty95

I dunno how I haven't mentioned this before, but the game seems to have a day/night cycle? dunno if that was something previously confirmed. The strike gameplay showed the fireteam starting their mission in daylight and then halfway through its night.

Yeah, day and night as well as weather I believe.

Lighting is phenomenal.

vivekthat110191879 said:
You must be one of these guys:

Clawone.jpg
I have to think claw is not that strange at Bungie. Lars must be playing on southpaw walkie-talkie inverted or Urk is just bigoted towards clawers.

Sorry if this has been brought up but apparently you can't jump into competitive MP right away:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/01/destiny-competitive-multiplayer-needs-to-be-unlocked

And I found this rather disappointing but not surprising. It appears that you use your PvE equipment in PvP:

Explaining why this decision was made, the developer's Tyson Green said, "We found early on that people here in the studio, when they jumped on the game – these were people who were already really familiar with the game mechanics – they would roll a new character, play through the first mission then go right into PvP, and they would just get really beaten up by the other players because they didn’t have a super ability yet and they’d only got an auto rifle from the first mission.

"And they said, ‘this is really awful, this is a terrible experience!’ And we said, ‘you’re right, we have to make sure that doesn’t really happen.’

JonCha

After watching that video I'm no longer interested. I'm not big on FPS' at all, but this didn't tickle my fancy. Did seem Borderlands like to me, which I couldn't really get into.

I feel exactly the same way at the moment. I hope their public events make things more interesting. Otherwise I'm struggling to see what's that different about this game, really.

broony

IGN put up a frame by frame analysis of the video and one of the guys mentioned that when he went through to the end of the strike where the spider tank is, for him it was daytime, but in the official video it is night and the northern lights are visible.

They have already talked about replayability in the game due to the AI being dynamic, by there being alternative enemy spawns and about there being branching paths. Add to that time of day and weather changes then replaying areas will be something I'll actively be trying to do.

jacobeid

Banned
I want to be hype for this game, but I'm just not :(

I still have the game pre-ordered though so I'm hoping that E3 and the beta change my mind.

Wizman23

Banned
There you go. So I don't know what that's all about. Seriously hope it's not cut :(

My guess is by the time Destiny 3 is done in 10 years the entire solar system will be part of the game with additional areas on each planet added each expansion/game. Sounds like for Destiny 1 we will have Earth, the Moon, Mars, and Venus. We do know that Mercury, Saturn, and Jupiter have been mentioned as well but i don't think we see those this Fall.

What I want to know is what bearing the factions have on the story and gameplay in general.

They listed them ages ago but we know very little about them.

Future War Cult
New Monarchy
Seven Seraphs

etc

broony

What I want to know is what bearing the factions have on the story and gameplay in general.

They listed them ages ago but we know very little about them.

Future War Cult
New Monarchy
Seven Seraphs

etc

In the new flood of info a little bit has been mentioned about them. They will offer you missions here and there when you are out on Patrol in the worlds and there has been talk of them paying you to fight for them in the PVP arenas.

Could the reason Destiny looks like Halo and why they also 'fought' to keep the Bungie name be because they want to usurp that series, as in 'This is Our next story. Forget about Halo, this is its real evolution.'?

Its also aided by being on every console. I want to see what XBO/360 Halo fans think after its release. I'm get the craziest Star Wars vibe from all of this.

In the new flood of info a little bit has been mentioned about them. They will offer you missions here and there when you are out on Patrol in the worlds and there has been talk of them paying you to fight for them in the PVP arenas.

Coolio

There was a bit in that analysis video doing the rounds where he compared the gun a player was using to one in an older video and the gun had the FWC logo down the side. FWC has been described as a weapons manufacturer I think but I suppose it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for there to be faction specific weapons.

I shall be going New Monarchy because the name is neat and the colour and logo is rad.

A...aurora borealis?!

At this time of year?!

At this time of day?!

In this part of the country?!

Localized ENTIRELY within your game?!

Havoc2049

Could the reason Destiny looks like Halo and why they also 'fought' to keep the Bungie name be because they want to usurp that series, as in 'This is Our next story. Forget about Halo, this is its real evolution.'?

Its also aided by being on every console. I want to see what XBO/360 Halo fans think after its release. I'm get the craziest Star Wars vibe from all of this.

Bungie has always been steadfast about keeping their own identity, even when they were with Microsoft. As for some of the gameplay and design features in Destiny being somewhat similar to Halo, I attribute that to it being developed by Bungie. Halo had a bunch of similarities to Marathon. Just like all the id FPS games such as Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and Rage have a bunch of similarities and have that "id feel".

Oh sure. There are many that we know of so far:

• Black Garden
  • The City
  • The Wall
  • European Dead Zone
  • Old Chicago
  • Old Russia
  • The Reef
  • The Tower
  • Twilight Gap
  • Mumbai Push

Check all the concept art here:
http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Earth

There might be some redundancy there (it's not an official site), for example the wall looks like a part of Old Russia. I could be wrong but the art style looks identical.

EDIT: Disregard that. The Wall surrounds The City, apparently.

The Black Garden is on Mars, unless I am mistaken.

Not sure if everyone will get this reference, but it's made me as excited for Destiny as any single bit of info to date. Thanks, Urk.
So this means no psychic homing area-effect insta-death plasma asplosions fired from tanks pointed the wrong way in gulleys or escarpments behind mountains from the opposite end of the map?

Because I'm hoping that's what that means :)

Flipyap

I think it hasn't been confirmed where it is located. The website i quoted seems to have put it under earth until we find out more
That doesn't look like any Earth I've seen.
If I were a betting man, I'd say it's Venus, because vegetation is its main theme and the area matches the color palette of at least two other locations on that planet.

Various webzones list the concept art below as a Venusian location, which would more or less confirm its location, unless these trenches somehow became a common feature across the Solar System.

desertdroog

I really hope we get a chance to do some 70's Sci-Fi coloration on our weapons, vehicles or armor.

Blacks, whites and Oranges, thin to fat lines, assymetric designs...I'm not sure if there is a name for it but the Future War Cult has a bit of that vibe.

Kind of like this:
iSW2rFe.jpg

36a71tg.jpg

viveks86

That doesn't look like any Earth I've seen.
If I were a betting man, I'd say it's Venus, because vegetation is its main theme and the area matches the color palette of at least two other locations on that planet.

Various webzones list the concept art below as a Venusian location, which would more or less confirm its location, unless these trenches somehow became a common feature across the Solar System.

Yeah my guess would be Venus as well...

Homeboyd

I think all your guns/abilities are with your character regardless of what mode you're playing.
Right, but I mean someone jumping into MP at the first opportunity would have different selections of weapons/abilities than people who've been playing (all modes) more?

Right, but I mean someone jumping into MP at the first opportunity would have different selections of weapons/abilities than people who've been playing (all modes) more?

The way I saw it described in one of the articles was that someone who jumped into Competitive MP immediately wouldn't have certain things unlocked at all. I think Heavy Weapons and Focus Specials? So those are more than likely gained through the early campaign more quickly/easily than they would be through the Competitive MP.

Top Bottom