• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the answers Urk. That really sounds great.

BTW, can you comment anything on alternate control schemes? More specifically, I'd love to know if Bumper Jumper will make a return (or a close equivalent, at least)
That's made more complicated with the addition of ADS. And we still don't know (or I don't, at least) what clicking down the right and left sticks do. Clicking the left stick is probably sprint, but what about the right stick?

Hell, just give us customizable controls. :)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Thanks for the answers Urk. That really sounds great.

BTW, can you comment anything on alternate control schemes? More specifically, I'd love to know if Bumper Jumper will make a return (or a close equivalent, at least)

Lars is a human freak and plays a controller mapping so radical the government put him on the no fly list. I don't know if BJ is in by name, but there are a healthy amount of options and tweaks.

RSB

Banned
That's made more complicated with the addition of ADS. And we still don't know (or I don't, at least) what clicking down the right and left sticks do. Clicking the left stick is probably sprint, but what about the right stick?

Hell, just give us customizable controls. :)
Yeah, I know, that's why I said "or a close equivalent"

I mean, I'm sure I can adapt to the default control scheme, even if it's a bit too COD for my taste. It's just that after trying Bumper Jumper, every other control scheme seems so awful in comparison (yeah, I love Bumper Jumper)

Lars is a human freak and plays a controller mapping so radical the government put him on the no fly list. I don't know if BJ is in by name, but there are a healthy amount of options and tweaks.
Cool, knowing there will be alternate control schemes pleases me. Thanks!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sure. I actually ran around an empty Patrol in our theater just to demonstrate the size and variation of our spaces. Patrols are a singular embodiment of the "activities for every mood" mantra we keep talking about. You can pick up objectives offered by City Factions on the fly, ignore them altogether and hunt for treasure and enemies, go in alone or with a Fireteam, jump into public events, hop on a Sparrow and whip around doing sweet jumps off of airplane wings, or just fight enemies to level up your abilities, weapons, and gear.

Campaign gives you a more bright line through the world, with cinematic bookends and private encounters. Patrols beg you to wander and make your own fun.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wish there was some kind of "Day in the life of a Guardian" video that's 30+ minutes in length and shows how things operate in a big picture sense. That's what you need to draw in the naysayers and people who are bored with a demonstration of a more traditional firefight.

I and plenty of other people have been saying that for a while. Make it happen before beta or someone else will do it for you.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wish there was some kind of "Day in the life of a Guardian" video that's 30+ minutes in length and shows how things operate in a big picture sense. That's what you need to draw in the naysayers and people who are bored with a demonstration of a more traditional firefight.
Couldn't agree more. Urk's comments show that the studio is ready to talk about some of the big picture stuff and that's great, but until they show it, people are going to keep scratching their heads, wondering what the game is about. Why wait for the beta to show these things?

Mix

Those guys and girls are really great and we'd love to drink beers and play games with them unless gus is in one of his notorious gassy phases.

Nothing to announce tho.
Hey man, thanks for all the info. I have one more question, are Earth, the Moon, Mars, and Venus all of the planets available at launch? Or are there more than haven't been announced yet?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Couldn't agree more. Urk's comments show that the studio is ready to talk about some of the big picture stuff and that's great, but until they show it, people are going to keep scratching their heads, wondering what the game is about. Why wait for the beta to show these things?

Who says we're gonna wait until Beta?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The claustrophobic FOV gave me a headache.

Silly me for thinking we'd see an improvement, with the new-gen consoles.

Yeeeeah boi

I hate to rain on anyones parade BUT.. the timeline that's been talked about in interviews that have released so far have said E3 then Beta.. so they could still wait til E3. I hope they show something earlier though. I want for them to show more stuff before E3.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also, it sounds like Sparrows are called Sparrows again, and not Shrikes? I'm cool with that.

Who says we're gonna wait until Beta?

Can you come out and tell if you guy's are aiming for 60 or 30fps already? it's a really simple question.

What is going on? it's a simple question and not 1 article mentions anything about it.
Is there something more going on here?

Mix

One of the Sparrows is called the Shrike, but all Sparrows are Sparrows and that was totally the plan all along.

;)

Urk, of what you can talk about, what is your favorite mode of the game and why is it your favorite.

Can you come out and tell if you guy's are aiming for 60 or 30fps already? it's a really simple question.

What is going on? it's a simple question and not 1 article mentions anything about it.

Why does it matter so much? All the videos shown so far have shown Destiny isn't a twitch shooter, so gameplay concerns are minimal if they exist at all. And if it is 30FPS, so what? That's the framerate Bungie chose based on what their game is and what they want it to deliver.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't blame devs if they never talked about frame rates or resolution again. GAF is unbearable when it comes to those things.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I wouldn't blame devs if they never talked about frame rates or resolution again. GAF is unbearable when it comes to those things.

lol so true

1080p vs 30fps - "unplayble"
720 vs 60fps - "ugly"
720 vs 30fps - "just kill me"
1080p vs 60fps - "downgrade confirmed"

hard to satisfy everyone

The impression, I agree, is that a lot of people focus only on higher numbers, despite what the developer wants the game to be/what the developer's philosophies are.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Urk, of what you can talk about, what is your favorite mode of the game and why is it your favorite.

I don't even know what my favorite color is! I've spent the most amount of time in Patrols, but that's skewed because of reasons. I'm typically pretty omnivorous. I enjoy campaign, coop, and competitive in most games. Lame answer. Sorry!

FeD.nL

Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions Urk.

I got one question myself, in an impression video I was watching it was mentioned that the early level weapons have some random stats/properties assigned to them but the later weapons have fewer of those stats.

But does this mean that every Thunderlord for example is the same for every player (like legendaries in WoW) or do they still have some random properties so they differ from player-to-player (like Diablo)?

broony

One of the Sparrows is called the Shrike, but all Sparrows are Sparrows and that was totally the plan all along.

;)
Mystery solved. I think of all the new footage this week the sparrow pre order stuff was my favourite. Looks so much fun zooming about, hopping on and off the sparrows, exploring, fighting and looting. So much potential fun with friends.

Sounds like patrols might be my favourite activity but it all sounds so good.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
That's pretty much it. We'll try to pry more details out of Smith's evil clutches, but rightly he wants to preserve the challenge by ensuring we don't expose solutions or ruin surprises.

Last time I played, we spent over 45 minutes just cracking the entrance.
I am most excited about the raids. Lots of hard work put into their creation and will take a similar amount of dedication to crack.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Great analysis vid.

Hoping playstation access has more meaningful content the rest of the week. Two guys randomly talking about loot and speaking in assumptions isn't going to cut it.

matthieuC

Never heard of Patrol mode until Urk mentioned it... Sounds like it will be awesome with friends. I bet it'll be the mode that stays popular the longest, possibly somewhat like Halo custom games.

Yes it mattes, it' s a twitch based shooter. I want an as responsive, low latency as possible.
I've got to say that halo had a pretty impressive response time for a 30fps game but still, it would have been a lot better to control at 60.

Not even 1 article is mentioning anything about framerate -_-

Reckless Onion said:
Is 60fps something you guy's are trying to deliver on ps4?

Reckless Onion said:
At least consider making the multiplayer 60fps. When you're in a competitive environment I want an as responsive experience as possible.

Breathe, dude. Maybe take a walk or something.

GhaleonEB

It's continuous and connected, yup. In fact, the opening of the Strike is also connected and accessible in the same way. Rooster Teeth reported in running into a random boss before entering the strike proper. That's a public event, and you could tackle it with a mixed group comprised of players in the strike, playing campaign, and on Patrols.

Once you head into the Strike proper, it becomes private automagically.

So say I head to a strike with my group, and then decide you know what, I wanna go chase the sunset. It looks pretty and I feel like wandering. Can I peel off and go into wandering mode, while they go into their private strike? Are things that interconnected? Beacuse this is sounding really quite lovely.
I am most excited about the raids. Lots of hard work put into their creation and will take a similar amount of dedication to crack.

They sound awsome, I just hope they're hard for the right reasons.

viveks86

It's continuous and connected, yup. In fact, the opening of the Strike is also connected and accessible in the same way. Rooster Teeth reported in running into a random boss before entering the strike proper. That's a public event, and you could tackle it with a mixed group comprised of players in the strike, playing campaign, and on Patrols.

Once you head into the Strike proper, it becomes private automagically.

Does the same apply to the main story campaign? Can I either head into the next mission or just take a detour and stumble on a public event, or explore and find loot/weapons? That's been the question on my mind for ages now, on how seamless all these game modes are.

Sure. I actually ran around an empty Patrol in our theater just to demonstrate the size and variation of our spaces. Patrols are a singular embodiment of the "activities for every mood" mantra we keep talking about. You can pick up objectives offered by City Factions on the fly, ignore them altogether and hunt for treasure and enemies, go in alone or with a Fireteam, jump into public events, hop on a Sparrow and whip around doing sweet jumps off of airplane wings, or just fight enemies to level up your abilities, weapons, and gear.

Campaign gives you a more bright line through the world, with cinematic bookends and private encounters. Patrols beg you to wander and make your own fun.

This makes it seem like they are 2 different menu options. Can I decide to switch to Patrol mode during the campaign and come back to it seamlessly? How does that work? There was mention of a "Director". No idea what that is.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Looks like borderlands in all the right ways.

Can we toggle numbers on? I love me some flying numbers for damage.

I would hope there would be a toggle to turn off the health bar, so they should also go one step further and add a toggle to turn on flying numbers.

Looks like borderlands in all the right ways.

Can we toggle numbers on? I love me some flying numbers for damage.

I agree. Borderlands was very enjoyable, but a lot of the missions seemed to derivative and boring. Also, the Mad Max style universe isn't as appealing to me as sci-fi.

viveks86

;)

Oh! Interesting! Now what types of bikes are called Sparrows? Is a Pike a Sparrow as well? Or only Guardian vehicles are Sparrows?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh! Interesting! Now what is a Sparrow? Is a Pike a Sparrow as well? Or only Guardian vehicles are Sparrows?
Sparrows are those hover bikes we've been seeing for a while now. Sounds like Shrikes are one model or type of Sparrow.

viveks86

Sparrows are those hover bikes we've been seeing for a while now. Sounds like Shrikes are one model or type of Sparrow.

Yeah I got that. I was trying to get to what types of hover bikes are "Sparrows". Because they revealed another kind called "Pike", which is a fallen vehicle that we can commandeer (apparently). So is a Pike a Sparrow as well? Or Sparrows are hover bikes without onboard weapons (the Pike seems to have one)

Someone get Rooster Teeth on the horn.

;)
Sparrowgate

Top Bottom