• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details and images of Pokémon GO

JoeM86

Yeah... Just copying the official site's description as I can't be arsed to rewrite it again for here

Get on your feet and step outside to find and catch wild Pokémon. Explore cities and towns around where you live and even around the globe to capture as many Pokémon as you can. As you move around, your smartphone will vibrate to let you know you're near a Pokémon. Once you've encountered a Pokémon, take aim on your smartphone's touch screen and throw a Poké Ball to catch it. Be careful when you try to catch it, or it might run away! Also look for PokéStops located at interesting places, such as public art installations, historical markers, and monuments, where you can collect more Poké Balls and other items.

In Pokémon GO, you will gain levels as a Trainer, and at higher levels you will be able to catch more powerful Pokémon to complete your Pokédex. You'll also have access to more powerful items, such as Great Balls, to give you a better shot at catching Pokémon. Keep exploring and encountering Pokémon to raise your level!

There are other ways to add Pokémon to your roster, too. If you catch the same species of Pokémon enough times, you'll get the opportunity to evolve one of them. And as you explore, you may find Pokémon Eggs at PokéStops, which will hatch after you've walked a certain distance. When they hatch, you may find Pokémon you've never seen before!

Some wild Pokémon will appear only in certain places near where you live or around the world. For example, some Water-type Pokémon may appear only near lakes and oceans. If you're away from home, be sure to stay alert for Pokémon you wouldn't normally encounter!

At a certain point in the game, you'll be asked to join one of three teams. Once you join a team, you'll gain the ability to assign Pokémon you've caught to empty Gym locations or to a location where a team member has placed one of his or her Pokémon. Like PokéStops, Gyms can be found at real locations in the world. Each player can place only one Pokémon at a particular Gym, so you're encouraged to work with others on the team to build up a strong defense.

If a Gym is already claimed by another team, you can challenge that Gym using your own Pokémon. Using the Pokémon you've caught, engage in battle with the defending Pokémon at the Gym to claim control.

A wide variety of challenges are available that highlight many different categories, such as catching Pokémon and exploration. By completing these challenges, you'll unlock achievement medals that will appear in your player profile. Try your best to unlock as many medals as you can!

A portable device called the Pokémon GO Plus will enable Pokémon GO players to enjoy the game even while they’re not looking at their smartphones. The device connects to a smartphone via Bluetooth and notifies the player about events in the game—such as the appearance of a Pokémon nearby—using an LED and vibration. In addition, players can catch Pokémon or perform other simple actions by pressing the button on the device.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-go/

CeUdB7qWQAA2DiG.jpg
CeUdB71WwAA5zu7.jpg
CeUdB7xWIAE--sX.jpg
CeUdB4GWQAE5B3y.jpg

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Yeah, still not really feeling it.

I kinda want to see how battles will play out now.

oti

Banned
- What are you doing at 6 in the morning?!
- Catching Pokémon 'fcourse. I wanna be the were best!

Zalman

I mean I guess it's cool if you don't have a 3DS and are looking for something to scratch that Pokémon itch, but for someone like me who plays every mainline game it just sounds like an inferior version of that.

I'll try it out when it comes out but I can't say I'm excited about it.

BiggNife

I think it looks fine. This is a F2P mobile game so I wasn't expecting AAA visuals.

But yeah, I'm more curious about what the actual gameplay is like. That's the make-or-break on this.

JoeM86

I think it sounds fun enough, and in line with what I expected, but visually yeah it looks super amateur.

It would be fun if

A) You battled wild Pokémon to catch them
B) You battled other people in real time

Neither of this seems to be the case. The gym system seems to be the only mention of battles and that sounds automated.

How good are these games even at calculating locations for things to appear? I mean it sounds fun if you like to walk and explore, but if it's gonna send me into dodgy little alleys and such I'd rather not.
Also pointing your phone at random empty spots in public seems kinda awkward.

Kyuur

Why are they not just using the 3DS game rendering style for the Pokes themselves? Looks much worse here. :|

Can't say I expected anything more though. The map view is kind of cool in a stylistic way, but battles not so much. Why is one of the battles using the camera and one a random background?

oti

Banned
It would be fun if

A) You battled wild Pokémon to catch them
B) You battled other people in real time

Neither of this seems to be the case. The gym system seems to be the only mention of battles and that sounds automated.

No thanks. This is a GPS game with Pokémon, not a Pokémon game with GPS.

Wait so can I just level up a team though? That's what I really want. Catch 6 pokemon I care about, level them up, battle others.

Forkball

Some thoughts:

+Catching the same Pokemon over and over to evolve them. Ewwww
+It sounds like every Pokemon around you will be a Pidgey or Bidoof until you level up, which will then unlock the next "tier" of Pokemon. It seems like you could just farm a specific spot without traveling that much.
+The whole team aspect sounds exactly like Ingress. I can already guess the motif for the three teams. TEAM GRASS REPRESENT.
+It seems like the battling is passive. You just place certain Pokemon at spots and they automatically battle.

I was hoping for some functionality with the 3DS games similar to the Pokewalker but I guess not. This game should be fun to try out, but I question how long it will keep my attention.

revyb

Neo Member
Was everyone expecting something different, like on the level of the trailer? This is a GPS game. Of *course* it doesn't look like the main series handhelds, because it's not.

It's meant to be a fairly passive experience, like other similar mobile games. It can appeal to more people that way--busy commuters, kids, etc. I'm really looking forward to the little, minute-long interruptions of Pokemon in my day to day life whenever the phone buzzes.

Kyzer

Banned
People were expecting a real pokemon game on their phones ? lol

Still holding out hope for some kind of compatibility with S/M

oti

Banned
Yep.

I think what's also off-putting is the UI is a bit more clean and "modern" than some of the more colourful stuff in most Pokemon games.

I agree on that one. The UI and design look bad. Just look at that character. Looks like something out of the Kim Kardashian game.

Some thoughts:

+It sounds like every Pokemon around you will be a Pidgey or Bidoof until you level up, which will then unlock the next "tier" of Pokemon. It seems like you could just farm a specific spot without traveling that much.
+The whole team aspect sounds exactly like Ingress. I can already guess the motif for the three teams. TEAM GRASS REPRESENT.
+It seems like the battling is passive. You just place certain Pokemon at spots and they automatically battle.

I was hoping for some functionality with the 3DS games similar to the Pokewalker but I guess not. This game should be fun to try out, but I question how long it will keep my attention.

legit horrible

why bother making this

NoKisum

Alright, show of hands:

How many people expected this mobile game to look like a carbon copy (or higher def version) of the current main handheld games?

This is sounding like a Pokémon skinned Ingress. Which is pretty much what we were promised in the first place.

PMS341

I do wish there was some form of battling involved, but as expected, it certainly has that "mobile appeal".

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks cheap - so it will probably be a success on mobile.

We cant forget that mobile games evolve over a time - so the Pokemon which is planned for launch will likely be more feature-rich a couple of months down the line.

Berordn

Looks like Pokemon Ingress.

More or less exactly what I expected. I like the idea of dragging people to museums and such, at least.

JoeM86

So are battles like the handhelds, or is it just like your level vs the challengers level?

No. We have no sign of any battles other than for control of a gym, and that seems automatic so we don't know exactly how it will work.

BiggNife

Sounds like a Pokemon-themed version of Ingress. Not sure if want.

Pokemon Company and Ninantic have been pretty clear from the get go that this is absolutely a Pokemon-themed version of Ingress

I think some people's expectations were way too high

A deep experience.

I don't know. After Pokemon Shuffle, I thought they were keen on not making an actual game on mobile. At least not any time soon *shrug*.
Some thoughts:

This all sounds lame.

Sounds like a Pokemon-themed version of Ingress. Not sure if want.

You mean the Pokemon game by the creators of Ingress using the same basic concept is a Pokemon themed version of Ingress? SHOCK

Seriously, what were you expecting? It was always obvious that this is what it would be

Zomba13

Cool. Sounds exactly like I imagined and hoped it wouldn't.

It's cool as a way to get you to go places etc but it's not really Pokémon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I mean I guess it's cool if you don't have a 3DS and are looking for something to scratch that Pokémon itch, but for someone like me who plays every mainline game it just sounds like an inferior version of that.

I'll try it out when it comes out but I can't say I'm excited about it.

It is a good (on paper) distraction

Top Bottom