• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details and images of Pokémon GO

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This looks like what I thought it would be.

I realize the website's original description painted a more enticing picture, so I don't blame people for being disappointed.

I realize the website's original description painted a more enticing picture, so I don't blame people for being disappointed.

Yeah I can't fault people for that. Guess I am just used to ads, especially for mobile games being a bit odd.

Kyzer

Banned
the difference in real graphics and what people think in their heads when they imagine the possibility reminds me of the Red/Blue days :D

Im sure Pokemon Go 2.0 will look better

Mr-Joker

Banned
Looks shit, which is exactly what I expected it to be when it was announced which left me confused when everyone else was getting excited for it expecting Go to play anything like the main series but on a smart phone.

BlueMagic

It would be fun if

A) You battled wild Pokémon to catch them
B) You battled other people in real time

Neither of this seems to be the case. The gym system seems to be the only mention of battles and that sounds automated.

Yeah I was really hoping both these things would be in. In fact I'd love it if was only A.
Everything else still looks fun though, and just about what I expected.

Zomba13

Why aren't they using higher quality Pokemon models?

They have to make (and I guess animate? from the video it doesn't look like much "animate" though) over 700 models and I think Game Freak didn't want to share the 3DS models (either the Pokédex models (which I think is on iOS already) or the X/Y/ORAS ones).

L Thammy

It probably didn't help that the game was introduced with a Pokemon-in-real-life commercial with two seconds of gameplay. Not the kind of thing that keeps people's expectations in grounded.

batbeg

Still looking good, still laughing about all the salt. Those that are disappointed clearly never looked at what Ingress even was :p

Garudan

Banned
Not super interested, but the team/gym thing seems almost intriguing. I'll give it a try but expectations are very low.

ash_ag

In line with expectations, but good to have details. Four notes:
  • Trainer levels are a good idea, and their use to alter wild Pokémon encounters is a neat way to handle difficulty adjustment and pacing. Eggs are also a-okay -- good adaptation of the main series' concept.
  • We're yet to hear anything about actual Pokémon training, which raises some questions. Not sure how I feel about evolution based on catching the same species multiple times. I fully understand the principle behind it gameplay-wise, but it doesn't sound very Pokémon-like.
  • Sounds like Ingress portals are kind of split between PokéStops and Gyms. It may make Gyms harder to come by in more rural areas, but I think it's for the best. Tiering points-of-interest will make the world feel less bloated and increase the value of finding the more important spots.
  • It seems that Gym battles are essentially asynchronous PvP, comparable to Ingress's Portal hacking. We're yet to hear about actual battles though. Very curious about what kind of activities will be possible with Pokémon you catch in general.

Graphics look decent to me. Love the overworld aesthetics. Not too overwhelming and nicely stylised. Despite the simplicity of the camera use for AR, that's very nice to see. AR is very challenging without markers and I don't expect it to be overly immersive, but I'm glad they experiment with this approach.

Zomba13

What I wanted (not expected) it to be:
You start off as a new trainer. Pick a starter (or catch a local one) then you literally go off on your own pokémon adventure. You are the trainer, you have your starter and you just go around your street/town/city/country battling Pokémon (using the classic battle system already in the handheld games) and catching them and battling other trainers (players) you meet (if you want). Didn't want or expect gyms or a story or good graphics. Of course there would be microtransactions for items like potions and balls but you can also earn money/items through normal play. Legendary pokémon would be released for certain events at local landmarks or town centres or whatever.

Basically, I wanted it to be like Pokémon. Where you fight and weaken and capture them and battle others and level them up and evolve them etc. What I expected was go somewhere, point phone at fake thing, tap screen, maybe win or not, pay money to instantly win.

EDIT: I do find it funny some people are like "what did you expect? Pokémon? lol keep your expectations in check, these are the Ingress guys" as if that means that they would of course just slap Pikachu onto Ingress and call it a day. Like people expecting Pokémon staples like battling and levelling up would play a part in how you obtain Pokémon are crazy.

This doesn't look particularly well made. It looks clunky and lacks charm. My excitement has definitely taken a hit.

Second look: What is with the color palette? and the avatar design is very weird.

Sir TapTap

Sounds like Pokemon Ingress alright. Not impressed but I didn't expect it to be. Fun bit of flavor for people who already love that sort of game I suppose.

I'm not sure that's a viable longterm strategy for Nintendo though. "nintendo skin on an established mobile game" is. Certainly not going to draw me, anyway.

Something like the main games is what I wanted

You were never going to get that.

I'm going to catch so many Pokemon, being in New York. Mr. Mimes everywhere in Times Square. Garbador on every corner. Rattata in the subway,

Theorymon

I forgot, was it ever mentioned that Pokemon GO could connect to the mainline games somehow? I swear something like that was mentioned, but my memory is pretty foggy. If that ends up being the case, I'll probably have to at least give this a try.

Sir TapTap

I forgot, was it ever mentioned that Pokemon GO could connect to the mainline games somehow? I swear something like that was mentioned, but my memory is pretty foggy. If that ends up being the case, I'll probably have to at least give this a try.

Side games have barely ever allowed you to connect in a meaningful way to main games. It would greatly affect the design of the side game in a negative way if they had to maintain rarity established in the main game (basically no legendaries EVER, starters extremely rare etc)

oti

Banned
Looking forward to taking my cousin and god daughter to Pokémon GO walks. They'll love the AR stuff. I hope you can use two of the plastic Pokéball thingies with the same account though. Otherwise they'll be fighting over it the whole time lol.

Top Bottom