• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details and images of Pokémon GO

Can't say I care much for the character art style. The girl looks she belongs in that Kardashian game. Other than that it's about what I expected.

Chorazin

I actually don't really understand why people would want this so bad. Do you want to stand 5-10 minutes in the middle of a field looking at your phone trying to catch a Pokémon? Do you want to do that in the city next to the super market?

All the people that play Ingress do that all the time. It's obviously compelling....

NimbusD

I actually don't really understand why people would want this so bad. Do you want to stand 5-10 minutes in the middle of a field looking at your phone trying to catch a Pokémon? Do you want to do that in the city next to the super market?

I mean people do this at home in the dark, alone.

The appeal of Ingress, Pokemon GO and similar games is the fact that you go out and socialize with people while playing a game. Guess that's not for everyone.

wwm0nkey

About what I was expecting and I'm okay with that, part of me was hoping for real pokemon battles but that would probably be a bit too much to do on mobile while walking about. Still think it's going to be plenty of fun, though I am iffy on the evolution system.

vid

"Use Pokemon" (Resonators) "to protect your Gym" (Portals) "which can be found at museums, historical landmarks, and other points of interests" (or the lamp in the office that some jackass submitted as an "art installation")...

It doesn't sound like a Pokemon game, but it still sounds like a fun game. The problem is that it already sounds functionally identical to a game I've been playing for almost two years. Then again, seemingly small changes (three factions instead of two?) could end up making the overall game feel very different.

Right now I'm a little let down that it sounds so similar to Ingress, but I'm still curious to see how it plays out.

JoeM86

Seriously. Assuming people saying this never played or possibly even heard of Ingress.

It's not a game where you sit there and stare at the screen.

People shouldn't have had to have played or heard of Ingress to have an opinion of this game.

But putting one of your most popular franchises on an inferior product makes sense how?

this and Miimoto are for your average mobile gamer who are not aware of Nintendo handheld/console games. Watch as some of those people line up on the next pokemon games once they learned that the pokemon they caught can actually do more stuff that just waggling inside their phones.

Azuran

Banned
no pokemon battle is bullshit
what's the point

The point is to buy Sun and Moon if you want that.

Anyone that was expecting battles was deluding themselves. How would they even work with no mechanics? Water hits Fire for 2 damage instead of 1?

JoeM86

Sun and Moon is calling for you bro.

Anyone that was expecting battles was deluding themselves. How would they even work with no mechanics? Water hits Fire for 2 damage instead of 1?

The initial reveal trailer showed battles in its own way. People expecting battles were not deluding themselves.

Question for all of you naysayers: Have any of you actually played Ingress? Because while Ingress isn't a looker, it was incredibly fun to play and explore with friends while on the go with mobile. It's the same team behind this game, so knowing how Ingress functions and plays will clue you in on what to expect here.

Point being that this is something you really have to try before it clicks. The screens and descriptions simply do not do a game of this type justice, and I guarantee the majority of you that are shitting on this would actually find themselves quite entranced by the concept once you give it an actual shot out in the field. The gps/team/collecting gameplay is incredibly addicting.

vid

Question for all of you naysayers: Have any of you actually played Ingress? Because while Ingress isn't a looker, it was incredibly fun to play and explore with friends while on the go with mobile. It's the same team behind this game, so knowing how Ingress functions and plays will clue you in on what to expect here.

Point being that this is something you really have to try before it clicks. The screens and descriptions simply do not do a game of this type justice, and I guarantee the majority of you that are shitting on this would actually find themselves quite entranced by the concept once you give it an actual shot out in the field. The gps/team/collecting gameplay is incredibly addicting.

Just throwing a +1 on this. We're currently planning for an upcoming Ingress world event in Orlando, trying to herd thousands of players on both factions into cooperation in a game type that basically boils down to virtual soccer across a stretch of the city.

As far as multiplayer experiences go, Ingress is one of the most intense and rewarding I've ever gotten to play.

With that in mind... as I mentioned earlier, I'm still a little disappointed that this seems to be shaping up to be the same game with a different skin, but that's just because I've already spent two years playing Ingress. If you've never played it before, maybe Pokemon Go will hook you in the same way.

BahamutPT

Actually, didn't the trailer just show PvP battles, which are still in, and a collective battle against Mewtwo, which, from the video, is clearly one of the "challenges" (it is a collective battle, has a timer and the overall tone of the video allows for that deduction)?

ViolentP

this and Miimoto are for your average mobile gamer who are not aware of Nintendo handheld/console games. Watch as some of those people line up on the next pokemon games once they learned that the pokemon they caught can actually do more stuff that just waggling inside their phones.

Which makes sense, but what about the fans of the franchise - which I assume will be a greater number- that plays their first Pokemon game that is (potentially) not very good?

What's up with every spin off of Pokemon having a different art style, anyway? The trainers never look like they do in the games. Straight up bothers me. Detective Pikachu with that garbage animu look. Pokken looking generic anime as all hell. Only main line Pikrmon has the artstyle that says, "yeah that's Pokemon."

oti

Banned
All the people that play Ingress do that all the time. It's obviously compelling....

But fighting in Ingress isn't the same as fighting in an RPG, right? Attacking portals takes just as long a time as fighting a Pokémon? (Genuine question.)

Which makes sense, but what about the fans of the franchise - which I assume will be a greater number- that plays their first Pokemon game that is (potentially) not very good?

Seeing as GO! shares many of the most compelling aspects of Ingress, on top of a few improvements, I don't see this being the case at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with every spin off of Pokemon having a different art style, anyway? The trainers never look like they do in the games. Straight up bothers me. Detective Pikachu with that garbage animu look. Pokken looking generic anime as all hell. Only main line Pikrmon has the artstyle that says, "yeah that's Pokemon."

I imagine it's quite intentional so that people can easily identify the main series RPG games as "yeah, that's Pokémon."

ViolentP

Seeing as GO! shares many of the most compelling aspects of Ingress, on top of a few improvements, I don't see this being the case at all.

Ingress had the benefit of being new. GO has more at risk as well. Not saying the game will not be good or successful, just being honest with the hurdles it faces.

DrWong

Ingress had the benefit of being new. GO has more at risk as well. Not saying the game will not be good or successful, just being honest with the hurdles it faces.
Ingress had the hurdle of being new & unknown as a franchise... Flip your logic and you'll be good :]

I'm surprised at all the negative reactions. This was always going to be more about exploring the real world and less about a super immersive gaming experience.

I think it looks super fun.

ViolentP

Ingress had the hurdle of being new & unknown as a franchise... Flip your logic and you'll be good :]

See, it's not the franchise that made Ingress popular, it was the mechanics. It did it first and it did it well. That is what made it popular. Nintendo isn't doing that. They are backing established mechanics with one of their franchises. If GO isn't successful, they lose on the game, and they tarnish a beloved franchise. Any way you slice it, there is ample risk in this venture.

oti

Banned
See, it's not the franchise that made Ingress popular, it was the mechanics. It did it first and it did it well. That is what made it popular. Nintendo isn't doing that. They are backing established mechanics with one of their franchises. If GO isn't successful, they lose on the game, and they tarnish a beloved franchise. Any way you slice it, there is ample risk in this venture.

I think you are exaggerating immensely here.

Chorazin

But fighting in Ingress isn't the same as fighting in an RPG, right? Attacking portals takes just as long a time as fighting a Pokémon? (Genuine question.)

Yup. You're almost always just mashing the button to shoot off your highest level weapons, stop to use an item to refill you XM (stamina), do it over and over until you blow the portal. Other users can spend their own stamina to bolster the portal's defenses locally or from afar if they have a connection to it. It can take a while....

Sandfox

By that logic pretty much any project would've been risky. If you felt That Ingress was well made than you just gotta trust Niantic with this title.

ViolentP

By that logic pretty much any project would've been risky. If you felt That Ingress was well made than you just gotta trust Niantic with this title.

It's not that I trust them or don't, only saying that the footage looks less than impressive at this stage. Not what you would expect from a franchise as big as Pokemon. The whole thing could be easily turned around. The name alone however, isn't going to guarantee the level of quality expected of the franchise.

At least this will get me walking and biking more?

Honestly, I'm a bit timid about this one. Could be really good, but probably won't be. Heres to hoping!

Nintendo release mediocre pokemon spin offs all the time. I think they'll survive another, somehow.

Top Bottom