• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details and images of Pokémon GO

If this is basically the fleshed out version of the Google Maps April fools day Pokemon game I'm alright with that. I just laid in bed and spoofed my GPS to catch everything.

javadoze

You can turn off the camera for Pokemon encounters?

Good, that pretty much settles away one of my biggest gripes with the awkward AR footage previously shown.

Azuran

Banned
The survival of the company or the franchise was never in question in this discussion.

This release is still not going to tarnish what matters the most. Pokemon Go being mediocre is not going to prevent Sun and Moon and future main games from selling over 15 million copies.

ViolentP

This release is still not going to tarnish what matters the most. Pokemon Go being mediocre is not going to prevent Sun and Moon and future main games from selling over 15 million copies.

Perhaps. Or maybe it will be 10. Or could be 20. GO has some sway and Nintendo should maximize its impact.

g.r.e.

What was I expecting? Having played my share of f2p rpg games, I thought they were at least implementing a sort of battle system and some kind of matchmaking against other trainers. That would have been kind of fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What was I expecting? Having played my share of f2p rpg games, I thought they were at least implementing a sort of battle system and some kind of matchmaking against other trainers. That would have been kind of fun.

So pretty much the battle portion of the already portable 3DS games?

xzeldax3

They don't want to replace what exists on their flagship games.

The survival of the company or the franchise was never in question in this discussion.

But you seem convinced that it could "tarnish the brand" when there have been many low quality Pokemon spin-off's released that have largely become irrelevant in the grand scheme of the Pokemon name. If this turns out bad, it will simply be forgotten and fade away. The next mainline game will sell millions of units, and the next film will make millions of yen. The brand is that strong, that a bad mobile game will at worst be yesterday's flop, and at best expand Nintendo's mobile real estate.

Yukinari

Out of Nintendo's current mobile games that we know about its a shame that Miitomo looks more interesting than this.

How funny would it be if Nintendo World was a landmark where you get special bonuses or pokemon quicker.

Cipherr

Still selling millions while Yo-kai Watch remains irreverent outside of Japan. (isn't YW dropping in Japan too?)
So how is Pokemon continuing its downfall into irrelevancy again?

This, lol. I mean I get your point Sam, but Yokai watch doesnt want a comparison with Pokemon outside of Japan.

There are other ways to add Pokémon to your roster, too. If you catch the same species of Pokémon enough times, you'll get the opportunity to evolve one of them

T0mthfJ.png

I don't have any complaints with the graphics. I was super hyped for this game for the collecting pokemon aspects alone.

The evolving/catching is kinda dumb though.

Bulbasaur

Banned
It would be fun if

A) You battled wild Pokémon to catch them
B) You battled other people in real time

Neither of this seems to be the case. The gym system seems to be the only mention of battles and that sounds automated.

Agreed and I am no longer hyped.

ash_ag

As expected, datamined information suggest a form of battling is present. Seems like a simplified form of core games' battles, but there are some questionable omissions like status moves. Trades are also alluded to. Still nothing on PvP battles, though I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't in the beta considering player base will be very sparse during it. I'm a bit worried about training. A form of it seems to exist, but not sure about Pokémon levels and experience.

The fact that the game apparently misses or highly alters some series staples rubs me the wrong way. I feel like it's missing some of the finesse even spin-offs like Shuffle have. There's a lot of polishing to be made, and I hope TPC intervenes for a more faithful adaptation of certain Pokémon elements.

Spenny

Im totally down with this! The graphics are pretty bland, but I'm glad I can be an adult in the game instead of a kid (one thing that always bugs me about Pokemon). Living in SoCal really helps too in that I'm only an hour away from any type of climate. I hope they have special/shiny Pokemon at official Nintendo events such as E3, Comic-Con, and Wondercon. Man, the possibilities are getting are getting me excited.

JoeM86

As expected, datamined information suggest a form of battling is present. Seems like a simplified form of core games' battles, but there are some questionable omissions like status moves. Trades are also alluded to. Still nothing on PvP battles, though I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't in the beta considering player base will be very sparse during it. I'm a bit worried about training. A form of it seems to exist, but not sure about Pokémon levels and experience.

The fact that the game apparently misses or highly alters some series staples rubs me the wrong way. I feel like it's missing some of the finesse even spin-offs like Shuffle have. There's a lot of polishing to be made, and I hope TPC intervenes for a more faithful adaptation of certain Pokémon elements.

Well yes, they confirmed battles are in with the information last week. It's just battles at gyms that we know of.

I highly doubt they'd also not have a PVP battle in the beta just because there would be less people. That doesn't make sense. If it's not in the Field Test, it's unlikely to be in the actual game. If anything, I reckon they'd make sure it was in it.

ash_ag

Well yes, they confirmed battles are in with the information last week. It's just battles at gyms that we know of.

I highly doubt they'd also not have a PVP battle in the beta just because there would be less people. That doesn't make sense. If it's not in the Field Test, it's unlikely to be in the actual game. If anything, I reckon they'd make sure it was in it.

I meant that the Gym battles are (as far as we can tell) not automatic. Many people were worried that a battle system would be missing entirely.

I could be wrong about PvP, but I really doubt they wouldn't adapt something so fundamental for the series after teasing it in the trailer. That feature may not be prioritized because it won't be very useful until player base reaches higher levels, but I'd be very surprised if it's not eventually implemented. Mobile games tend to change over time, so it may be a thing they're holding for an update and may be missing entirely from early versions.

levyjl1988

Banned
Why couldn't they pull models that was used in the Pokedex app and the 2D trainer character creation from Pokken rather than some shit flash art from Pokemon TCG. Like fucking seriously. This is why its becoming harder to take Nintendo seriously. Whoever is heading this project is really fucking up. So much potential wasted just because of the presentations and visuals alone. If they want this to fly presentation is key.

JoeM86

I meant that the Gym battles are (as far as we can tell) not automatic. Many people were worried that a battle system would be missing entirely.

I could be wrong about PvP, but I really doubt they wouldn't adapt something so fundamental for the series after teasing it in the trailer. That feature may not be prioritized because it won't be very useful until player base reaches higher levels, but I'd be very surprised if it's not eventually implemented. Mobile games tend to change over time, so it may be a thing they're holding for an update and may be missing entirely from early versions.

Not automatic for the challenger, no. I don't think anybody expected that, though the depth is ridiculous. There's no status related moves listed in the game's code.

It may not be prioritised, but it would be in there.

Mik2121

Huh... I don't remember seeing the second half of the trailer where they try to catch Mewtwo. They make it look so epic and then scroll down to the actual screenshots and the gap is so massive, hahah!

Anyway, I like the way they show the map. The actual gameplay... I will have to try it to give any opinion. I liked the concept of Ingress, but that one had you going to certain locations to reinforce your teams' portals. I wonder what they'll do for this one other than just let you keep walking around catching new Pokemon. The whole working as a team on Ingress was part of the fun.

Kyonashi

My hopes for this have plummeted since I downloaded and tried out Ingress.

Never seen such a messy and bloated mobile game in my life. It's incredibly unclear what's going on with all the poorly designed artstyle and the game does an awful job of introducing new elements of the game to you, instead choosing to just chuck you in at the deep end and offer far too many jargon terms you're not entirely sure what they do.

The map in this at least looks a bit cleaner, but the more it looks like "Ingress: Pokémon Edition" the less interested I'll be.

JoeM86

The only thing that this game seems to have got right is the ability to find Pokémon in the real world. Everything else just seems like a mess to me. No battles to capture Pokémon. No PVP matches (as far as we know). No status moves. Moves needing to recharge.

It really should have been Pokémon with an Ingress twist (obviously with its own mechanics, not main series ones) rather than Ingress with a Pokémon skin.

I do question the longevity of this title. I was so hoping Niantic, Nintendo and The Pokémon Company would prove me wrong about this title, but alas.

ViolentP

But you seem convinced that it could "tarnish the brand" when there have been many low quality Pokemon spin-off's released that have largely become irrelevant in the grand scheme of the Pokemon name. If this turns out bad, it will simply be forgotten and fade away. The next mainline game will sell millions of units, and the next film will make millions of yen. The brand is that strong, that a bad mobile game will at worst be yesterday's flop, and at best expand Nintendo's mobile real estate.

Anything can be tarnished with the right kind of bad release. Nothing is exempt. This isn't exclusive to Pokemon, it's a simple fact. The concept you have that this franchise is safe is frankly absurd. It's strength may make it very difficult to ruin, but it is most certainly possible.

And I am not hoping it fails in case we are tempted to drive this conversation in that direction. On the contrary, I'm hoping they raise the quality of what they have shown so far.

JoeM86

Anything can be tarnished with the right kind of bad release. Nothing is exempt. This isn't exclusive to Pokemon, it's a simple fact. The concept you have that this franchise is safe is frankly absurd. It's strength may make it very difficult to ruin, but it is most certainly possible.

And I am not hoping it fails in case we are tempted to drive this conversation in that direction. On the contrary, I'm hoping they raise the quality of what they have shown so far.

If the franchise can survive Pokémon Dash, it can survive anything.

It's when main series games become bad that we have to worry

Pokemaniac

If the franchise can survive Pokémon Dash, it can survive anything.

It's when main series games become bad that we have to worry

While there have definitely been bad spinoffs in the past, I don't think any of them were hyped up anywhere near this hard.

I don't think it's going to go over that bad (ridiculous exaggeration seems to be par for the course in mobile game ads), but if any spinoff has a chance of actually doing some damage, it's this one.

wwm0nkey

So there is combat it looks like but Pokemon can only have 2 moves and only at gyms. There is a timer for the battles too.

Top Bottom