• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on the PS5's cooling system: Fan curve can be adjusted per-game via firmware, M.2 slot is actively cooled, SSD size details

Knightime_X

I don't know.
I see too many red flags.
I'll wait a year or 2+ before considering a ps5.
Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I don't know.
I see too many red flags.
I'll wait a year or 2+ before considering a ps5.
Better safe than sorry.
You don't know that you can adjust fan curve and that's something people who game on PC can do? You can set fan curve that determines how hard your fan ramps up or down based on target temperature and Sony has built in support so they can gather data on how hard the fans are ramping so they can adjust over time to make sure the system is running optimally instead of setting a profile and then rely on that specific setting for the entire generation. How's that a red flag?
d1mySrO.png

Knightime_X

I'm not overclocking and default is working just fine so I don't see any reason to fix what isn't broken.
But it's weird sony is deciding they need to do this now.
I'll wait and see.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not overclocking and default is working just fine so I don't see any reason to fix what isn't broken.
I'll wait and see.

They are not just doing it now , it is a technique they planned and executed/iterated upon over time... why is it weird or “concerning” that for a console following a unique approach they are trying new variations of old and valid techniques and new ones too?

Trying to predict temperature fluctuations and anticipating them can avoid quickly ramping up and down fan speed which reduces noise and improves fan performance over time. I am not sure why we are trying to snatch “concern” from the jaws of engineering ingenuity.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'll wait and see.

You what mate?
Maybe you dont understand what Sony is doing here and are concerned due to ignorance.

This is nothing but a good thing and super forward thinking.

By them having custom fan curves for games they can ensure the system is balanced regardless of the game even more impressive it sounds like they can do it on a game by game basis down to scene by scene.
This isnt new for them, its something they likely baked in from the get go they are just informing us that as new games come out the system will get updated with new fan curves.

They couldnt possibly guess how taxing R*Game is going to be in 2028 now, but when the game is done and likely during the validation stage a custom fan curve will be set for the game to ensure the system doesnt reach unnecessarily high temperatures when stressed, and doesnt bother itself when workload leads to low heat.

Yes you could do it simply by using heat, but I imagine with custom fan curves they could allow the system temperatures to get a bit more toasty while staying quiet say for a graphically intensive yet emotional scene where you dont really want to hear your PS5.
Or even if they know after that super heavy scene there is some serene moments that arent too taxing, the fan curve will let the APU cool down slower instead of staying at a high RPM.

We dont know how loud the PS5 is at full tilt, but having granular control of the fans rpm is nothing but a positive and no cause for concern.

I'll wait and see.
If they don't do this on a new console generation, when would you expect it?
No, serious question; when is a good time for innovation, if NOT at the start of a new gen?

If you can't answer that, I would have to accuse you of trolling,.

A new gen means new hardware, it means tech advancements. If everyone thinks like you then we would be stuck with Ataris and Pong.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

If they don't do this on a new console generation, when would you expect it?
No, serious question; when is a good time for innovation, if NOT at the start of a new gen?

If you can't answer that, I would have to accuse you of trolling,.

A new gen means new hardware, it means tech advancements. If everyone thinks like you then we would be stuck with Ataris and Pong.
They can start at any time.
But when you're using a pc that would eat the ps5 for lunch and is perfectly fine as is.
Even series x you can't help but to wonder "lol why now?"

We'll have to see if smart moves were made by sony.
Don't let my concerns prevent you from getting a ps5. Jump in.

I'll wait for a moment.

I wonder if you can opt out from Sony data collection of your console? If more people do this, less of your personal data is sent to them, which would give them less situations and scenarios to work on fan curves. But it should be automatically opted out by default (if it is an option to begin with)
Personally Identifiable Fan Speeds

Sir, based on your abnormally low average fan speeds, you must play a lot of filthy weeb VNs

Last edited:

geordiemp

Help me understand though, why would different games want different curves?
Wouldn't there just be one most efficient curve?

Just because teh system has the ability to update the fan curve on each game does not mean each game will have a different curve.

It just means the opportunity to change the fan curve is at start of every game, normally its on every OS update,

Like everything else Ps5 like 5 vibration mounts on the disk drive, its called engineering overkill and looks like Sony were ashamed of ps4 pro noise and over corrected is my opinion. OTT.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Help me understand though, why would different games want different curves?
Wouldn't there just be one most efficient curve?

This game is quiet but still pretty demanding.....we can let the temperature float at 70C
This game is bang bang boom all the time......we can have the fan ramp up temperatures at 60C
This stretch of game has a number of high stresspoints intertwined with moments of chill.....instead of the fan ramping up suddenly then chilling out, then ramping up....as we get to the stresspoints we will slowly increase the fan speed and keep it constant over the entire period then drop it after the section the user wont even notice.

Fans ramping up then ramping down quickly is A not good for them B really annoying to hear. The background noise of a constant or gradually ramping up fan isnt noticeable.....but when it suddenly starts then slows you very clearly hear it.

Top Bottom